inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Favorite decades

Written By: Fairee07 on 11/04/09 at 6:14 pm

What are your top 5 favorite decades from the 1900s-2000s?

Subject: Re: Favorite decades

Written By: Step-chan on 11/05/09 at 12:24 pm

1990s

Written By: apollonia1986 on 11/05/09 at 11:48 pm

I picked three era:

1900s: I LOVE the Victorian Era, and wish I could have come up during that time. I just kind of miss a time when a man would tilt his hat at a lady and hold a door for her and everything like that. I adore the clothing how everything was so prim and proper and a lady had to have her hat and gloves when she went out calling on friends. Men had to wear suits and hats and be presentable. I know that our society as has advanced and evolved, but I do miss the manners. Heck, I'm one of the ones that say "Sir" and "Ma'am" to my elders and cringe when I see or hear someone not saying that to an elder!

1940s: I know we were in the middle of the Second World War during the 40s, but at the time, my 2 favorite actors were at the top of thier careers--James Stewart and Cary Grant. I just loved both these actors so much and enjoy them and I think it would have been completely thrilling to sit in a theatre with a nickel's worth of popcorn and watching them on the big screen. (I know popcorn was a nickel because my father was around my age in the 1940s. )

1980s: Do you even have to ask? Michael Jackson! Michael Jackson! Michael Jackson! (and maybe Prince, if he doesn't make me angry) I mean that was the time to be a fan. So much stuff was available (AND HE WAS ALIVE!) Not to mention just the fashion, the music, the clothes. The culture. I wanted to be in the culture. Dress like Madonna one day, and then maybe Diana Ross the next. It was all about expression and being wild with fashion. It was just a fun decade. People say fashion and stuff was so bad, but I would have had a BLAST then. (and met Michael and Marlon at Texas Stadium when the Jacksons played Dallas)

I'm still in a snit over not being born in 1969 (so I would have been the perfect teenybopper age in 1983)  >:( Sure I'd be forty now, but doesn't bother me. Women in my family age gracefully, and I'd have lived through Thriller Mania. Wearing frosted lipstick, no less.  ;D

I will forever think I was born at the wrong time. (I was born in 1986)  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/06/09 at 2:00 pm

For me, it's the 80's and the 90's.

Written By: mooster on 11/08/09 at 1:37 am

1970s predominantly

I also picked 1920s, 1930s, 1940s & 1960s

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/13/09 at 4:30 pm

The 40's-It had a lot of interesting movies around this time. The first half also had WWII and I would've like to see and feel how that decade was.

The 60's-This was when a lot happened. The Summer of Love, Woodstock, The Beatles...I think that's my decade!

The 70's-I saw "That 70's Show" and it made me feel that I want to get a van with an 8-track of Led Zepplin.

The 80's-Since I was born then, I would love to re-live this decade.

The 90's-Growing up on this decade, It's the same scenario with The 80's.

Written By: robby76 on 11/13/09 at 6:09 pm

I went for the core 60s, 70s and 80s. Even though I wasn't around in the 60s, I'd take them over the 90s.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/13/09 at 7:15 pm

The 60s, 70s, and 80s for me.  :)

Written By: Fairee07 on 11/14/09 at 5:39 pm

1920s: This would definitely be my favorite decade of the first half of the 20th century. The fashion rocked, there was jazz, and this period seems a little bit mysterious.
1930s: Despite the Depression, I like the fashion during this decade and there seemed to have cool cartoons around this time.
1960s: So many changes took place in this decade. Minority groups were starting to gain respect, society was becoming liberated, and the music and fashion was good.
1970s: Favorite decade of the latter half of the century and I was born  ;)  The best decade for music. And there seem to be many good movies.
1990s: For nostalgic purposes as I was a teen and young adult during this period. The music was great.

How I'd rate the other decades:

1900s: the late Victorian period---too conservative for me. Least favorite decade of the first half of the century.
1910s: the Edwardian period had amazing architecture and I like the stream-lined look
1940s: good music and i liked the way people dressed and did their hair and make-up
1950s: the music was good but probably my least favorite decade of the latter half of the century
1980s: I liked how people were more expressive/creative. I actually liked some of the fashion even though it could be overkill sometimes. Had some really "awesome" songs
2000s: the first couple of years weren't bad because they were just an extension of the 90s but has been going down the tubes, especially since 2004  :P

Written By: Davester on 11/15/09 at 1:58 am

1930s: Despite the Depression, I like the fashion during this decade and there seemed to have cool cartoons around this time.

This one's funny!  Cool cartoons and fashion despite that depression thing and all...

Despite the black plague, I love those medieval sequined gowns...

Sorry... :-[

Written By: 90steen on 11/21/09 at 1:07 pm

I have a sort of fascination with the 1920's. I love the whole silent movies.

Written By: alleykid76 on 11/22/09 at 12:36 am

Seventies...young, dumb and full of...um, life was good.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/23/09 at 5:46 pm

1930's
1980's
1960's
1950's
1990's

Written By: joeman on 11/30/09 at 9:13 pm

1920's - I think it would be neat to see Flappers.
1940's - Only if I survived the war.  WWII is the most important event that happened in the 20th century
1960's - A lot of Things happened
1980's - Was born in that decade.  There were some good cartoons in that decade.
1990's - Basically my home.

Subject: Favorite decades

Written By: Dude111 on 10/05/18 at 10:34 pm

30s thru the 70s :)

Written By: annimal on 10/05/18 at 10:51 pm

Alot of cool Disney stuff I've seen looks like it started coming from the 50's. 50-80 guess I'll take 90 for some cartoons though the music I heard made me barf

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/06/18 at 4:09 pm

Is there an option for all of them?

Check for new replies or respond here...