inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Creepy PBS logos/idents?

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/11/09 at 6:06 pm

When I was very young, I used to be terrified of the old 90s PBS logo thingy. You know, the one that sang "THIS IS PBS WOOHOOHOO!!! Ruff.". I'm not anymore, of course (now it's just hilarious thinking about my childhood phobias), but did anyone else have this problem?

Subject: Re: Creepy PBS logos/idents?

Written By: Step-chan on 11/11/09 at 7:32 pm

That's the first time I've ever heard of that of indent/logo.

Probably because I wasn't really watching PBS at the time.

Written By: Davester on 11/11/09 at 11:54 pm

Same problem, same station, earlier era.  That PBS ID made me a little uneasy, as did a particular NBC peacock ID...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/12/09 at 12:57 pm

So which one is the creepy logo?

;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ey1Sl5Wk8

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/12/09 at 12:59 pm

I like this promo logo, the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W9V9SZPHAY

Written By: Womble on 11/12/09 at 7:25 pm

When I was very young, I used to be terrified of the old 90s PBS logo thingy. You know, the one that sang "THIS IS PBS WOOHOOHOO!!! Ruff.". I'm not anymore, of course (now it's just hilarious thinking about my childhood phobias), but did anyone else have this problem?

Sort of but not PBS. On the old WPIX, Channel 11 (N.Y.C.) in the 60's the station would pop on a still cartoon of a little boy and a girl on a see-saw everytime they had a problem in the station. ("We are experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by"). This happened right in the middle of the program they were airing, always suddenly and without warning. The picture was accompanied by a particular classical music piece that I don't know the name of. I was about 4 or 5 years old and became frightened everytime it happened. I thought it was the end of the world and because of this I found the music to be spooky. I know I would get the chills if I ever heard that tune again.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/12/09 at 7:48 pm

The PBS logo in the early to mid 80s was pretty creepy to me when I was a kid!  :-
Sort of but not PBS. On the old WPIX, Channel 11 (N.Y.C.) in the 60's the station would pop on a still cartoon of a little boy and a girl on a see-saw everytime they had a problem in the station. ("We are experiencing technical difficulties, please stand by"). This happened right in the middle of the program they were airing, always suddenly and without warning. The picture was accompanied by a particular classical music piece that I don't know the name of. I was about 4 or 5 years old and became frightened everytime it happened. I thought it was the end of the world and because of this I found the music to be spooky. I know I would get the chills if I ever heard that tune again.

Whenever a TV station was having technical difficulties, it really creeped me out!  Especially the graphic they would use or the way it was announced.  :o

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/12/09 at 8:20 pm

Wow, I guess I'm not the only one freaked out by TV logos!

Written By: Womble on 11/12/09 at 8:22 pm

The PBS logo in the early to mid 80s was pretty creepy to me when I was a kid!  :-[

Whenever a TV station was having technical difficulties, it really creeped me out!  Especially the graphic they would use or the way it was announced.   :o

Wow, Sasha! I thought it was just me.

Written By: Step-chan on 11/12/09 at 10:33 pm

So which one is the creepy logo?

;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7ey1Sl5Wk8

So from 1:32-2:18 is what he was talking about. Wow man. :D

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/13/09 at 7:20 pm

Wow, Sasha! I thought it was just me.

Nope, you're not alone!  :)  I've known some people in my life that got creeped out by those logos, too. 

The United Artists logo (about late 70s through the mid-80s) gave me the creeps, too.  Especially that music!  :o

Check for new replies or respond here...