inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Good songs that end badly.

Written By: loki 13 on 12/11/09 at 5:51 pm

Ever hear a really good song, one that you like a lot, then have it end horribly. The ends of the songs
are so bad that they almost ruin the whole song. I can think of a few off the top of my head that when
I listen to them I will cut the song short, before the bad end begins.

Beginnings....Chicago - This song ends with what sounds like a bunch of drunks yelling gibberish and clanking bottles
                                    and banging on hollow logs.

The Time Of Your Life....Triumvirat - This song ends with the repeating of the title. If you're wearing headphones the
                                                        sound switches from left to right ear in a very annoying fashion.     

Hey Jude....The Beatles  - This song just doesn't seem to want to end, it runs 3 minutes longer than it has to.

All Good People....Yes - Same reason as above, it just runs on and on.

Subject: Re: Good songs that end badly.

Written By: woops on 12/11/09 at 5:56 pm

Digital Underground "Same Song"

The sample just goes forever towards  the end...

Written By: Red Ant on 12/11/09 at 6:59 pm

Alice in Chains - Rain When I Die - good song, and has a faded outro, and when you think it's over, it fades back in again. Pointless.

Metallica - The Call of Ktulu - great instrumental, but the last thirty seconds of power chords and speed riffs kinda ruin it. ffs, the song is 9 minutes long, it's not like it needs the extra run time!

Nirvana - All Apologies - "All alone is are we are". Thanks for telling me 20x, Kurt. Ditto Chris Cornell in  Soundgarden's "Blow Up The Outside World".

Natasha Bedingfield - Unwritten - First 2 minutes, awesome. Last two minutes: repeat chorus x 4. Red Ant run time: 2 minutes.  ;D Ditto Foreigner's "I Want To Know What Love Is"

Hey Jude is definitely one to include - good call.

Ant

Written By: DJ Blaze on 12/11/09 at 7:06 pm

Pretty much any of Stratovarius's songs from their self-titled album because they repeat the choruses too much at the end.

Written By: nally on 12/11/09 at 7:09 pm

"Rocket Man" by Elton John...not necessarily one of my favourites, but its ending is way too repetitious. ("And I think it's gonna be a long long time" ad nauseum)

"Hangin' Around" by Counting Crows....mostly interesting and upbeat for the most part, but the ending sounds like it literally falls apart (as if there was a mishap or something)...which I actually don't mind; sounds kindof fun when you listen to it.

I'll probably think of a few more later.

Written By: Frank on 12/11/09 at 8:03 pm

Ever hear a really good song, one that you like a lot, then have it end horribly. The ends of the songs
are so bad that they almost ruin the whole song. I can think of a few off the top of my head that when
I listen to them I will cut the song short, before the bad end begins.

Beginnings....Chicago - This song ends with what sounds like a bunch of drunks yelling gibberish and clanking bottles
                                    and banging on hollow logs.

The Time Of Your Life....Triumvirat - This song ends with the repeating of the title. If you're wearing headphones the
                                                        sound switches from left to right ear in a very annoying fashion.     

Hey Jude....The Beatles  - This song just doesn't seem to want to end, it runs 3 minutes longer than it has to.

All Good People....Yes - Same reason as above, it just runs on and on.

Yes, I don't like the endings of Chicago's beginnings..I prefer the short version without that ending

Written By: whistledog on 12/11/09 at 10:18 pm

That Was Then But This is Now ... ABC - The song ends with garbled noise and abruptly stops, as though you would think the song got cut off.

Master and Servant ... Depeche Mode - It ends sounding like it's looping back to the start.  Not that I don't like it (cause I do), just always thought it was rather bizarre and unusual

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/13/09 at 3:35 pm

When Doves Cry-Prince.

Cat

Written By: nally on 12/14/09 at 1:11 pm

Master and Servant ... Depeche Mode - It ends sounding like it's looping back to the start.  Not that I don't like it (cause I do), just always thought it was rather bizarre and unusual

Oh yes. I thought that the last instance of "Come on...master and servant" was the end...but that then synthesizer/drum combo at the actual end (for about three or four seconds) is a complete change...

When Doves Cry-Prince.

Cat

I've heard the entire outro of it (about 2 minutes long) on some stations...I guess Prince wanted to stretch the actual song as long as he possibly could or something, by providing a big long filler

Written By: Step-chan on 12/14/09 at 7:02 pm

Snowblind- Black Sabbath This is my most favorite song from Black Sabbath, but I don't like the outro. It doesn't sound bad, it's just too long for my taste.

Nirvana - All Apologies - "All alone is are we are". Thanks for telling me 20x, Kurt. Ditto Chris Cornell in  Soundgarden's "Blow Up The Outside World".

Ant

It's a good thing that they ended it quicker live.(20x is far too much)

In general, songs that fade out are abit of an annoyance, especially when I'm doing parodies of them.

Written By: nally on 12/14/09 at 7:48 pm

In general, songs that fade out are abit of an annoyance, especially when I'm doing parodies of them.

Good point. I always wondered why some songs fade out at the end, rather than have an actual ending that you'd probably hear if it was being performed.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/15/09 at 9:17 pm

Good point. I always wondered why some songs fade out at the end, rather than have an actual ending that you'd probably hear if it was being performed.

Yes, I've wondered that too.

I had to listen to Buy Me A Condo by Weird Al during the end to see if the last chorus lines were in the fade out.

Written By: Frank on 12/16/09 at 2:07 am

Baba O'reilly - The Who 
I don't like the ending much

Bennie and the Jets..just keeps going and going

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/09 at 2:46 am

Simon & Garfunkel: Bridge over Troubled Water

As mentioned above with "Hey Jude," S&G gilded the lily by dragging in a huge chorus and carrying the song to 8 minutes. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/09 at 9:33 am

Yes, I've wondered that too.

I had to listen to Buy Me A Condo by Weird Al during the end to see if the last chorus lines were in the fade out.

I LOVE the song Buy Me A Condo.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Frank on 12/16/09 at 11:38 am

Cat

Gonna buy me a condo
Gonna buy me a Cuisinart
Get dee wall-to-wall carpeting
Get a wallet full 'o credit cards
Gonna buy me a condo, never have to mow the lawn...

Excellent song, one of Weird Al's best

Simon & Garfunkel: Bridge over Troubled Water

I like that ending..

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/16/09 at 11:55 am

Gonna buy me a condo
Gonna buy me a Cuisinart
Get dee wall-to-wall carpeting
Get a wallet full 'o credit cards
Gonna buy me a condo, never have to mow the lawn...

Excellent song, one of Weird Al's bestI like that ending..

Gonna get me dee tee shirt with the alligator on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztCrH4ZwySc

(Had to post it.  ;D ;D ;D )

Cat

Written By: Step-chan on 12/16/09 at 5:01 pm

Cat

I do to, just hated listening closely to the fade out to see if the chorus was completed one last time.  :D ;D

It was completed too in the audio(you can barely hear it), I mentioned it in my outro on my parody of it.

Written By: Fairee07 on 12/19/09 at 12:59 pm

Tuesday Afternoon---The Moody Blues.  *a prime example. It's a gr8 song, especially at the beginning, but then the ending sounds like something out of a Disney movie*

Nights In White Satin---"        "  *some classic rock stations play the extended version, which I find unnecessary because the extended ending reminds me of a film for science class*

The Boxer----Simon and Garfunkel  *they should have ended after the "la la la" instead of adding some guitar work afterwards*

Written By: Bobby on 02/19/10 at 8:08 pm

When Doves Cry-Prince.

On a similar note of stretching the outro, the same can be said of Prince's 'Let's Go Crazy'.

Written By: nally on 11/25/17 at 12:53 am

Tuesday Afternoon---The Moody Blues.  *a prime example. It's a gr8 song, especially at the beginning, but then the ending sounds like something out of a Disney movie*

I actually don't mind this one. Yeah, it's a long record, but it's kinda nice to listen to. I actually heard it a few weeks ago, when a particular station in my area was playing its songs alphabetically (this one of course was near the end of the letter "T"). I thought it was nice to hear all eight minutes of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...