inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Grade" the decades in your opinon

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/05/10 at 8:16 am

At RetroJunk I noticed a few posts in a topic where they letter graded each decade (or in one post, fragment a decade and give a certain portion better than the other). Now that the 2000's are complete, we can fairly grade that decade as well. Go as far back as you feel, even if it is before your time based on how much feel the pop culture from what you've read/heard/seen you enjoy.

I will work backwards.

00's: D
90's: B
80's: A-
70's: C+
60's: B+
50's: A
40's: C
30's: D+
20's: A

Subject: Re: "Grade" the decades in your opinon

Written By: Christie Marie M on 01/05/10 at 10:30 pm

00's: C
90's: B+
80's: A
70's: A
60's: A
50's: B
40's: C
30's: C
20's: C

Written By: Frank on 01/06/10 at 1:07 am

00's: D
90's: B-
80's: B
70's: A
60's: A
50's: A -
40's: C+
30's: C
20's: D

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 01/06/10 at 2:33 am

http://www.cracked.com/article/18355_the-top-10-decades-century-how-2000s-compared/ - The Top 10 Decades of the Century.

tl;dr: the 00's came 7th. The 40's came 1st - "But when you get down to it, any decade that features a bullet entering Hitler's head is a great decade."

Written By: joeman on 01/07/10 at 1:24 am

00's: C - It has it's ups and downs to it, but I didn't think it was bad until towards the end.
90's: B - My childhood and the start of my teen years.  Hated the whole philosophy of the 90's, but it came out with great music.
80's: B - I was born in 85, so personally the 80's were a dream and the only things I know directly are kid shows.  However, I am a huge fan of GI Joe, so take that for its worth.
70's: A- - IMO, best of Rock and Roll came from that era.  I also smoke pot, and from what I have been told by my friend's parents, it was a lot easier to get. 
60's: A - A lot changed.  See it as my parents generation along with the 1950's.
50's: B- - I do like the conservative values, however I didn't like the racism.
40's: A+ - Honestly, if it wasn't for the WWII soldiers, we would all be speaking German.
30's: F - Recession
20's: B - Same with the 90's.

Written By: Fairee07 on 01/22/10 at 7:10 pm

00's: D    If it weren't for the very first few years, I would give this decade an F!
90's: B+  My generation  8)
80's: B    Good enough but too much neon
70's: A-    Great music. I came into existance...
60's: B+    Radical changes happened
50's: C+    More low key yet too conservative
40's: B-    People dressed well
30's: B+  Not as glamourous
20's: A  I'm into glam so it's my favorite decade

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/30/10 at 4:42 pm

2000's : C  culturally speaking regarding fads, fashion, music, events things that happened I would say it wasn't that great. However, on the personal side for me it was memorable decade. Especially from 2005 to 2009, '05 and '06 being my favorite years.
1990's : B- 
1980's : B+ 
1970's : A- 
1960's : C+ 
1950's : B+
1940's : C+
1930's : C-
1920's : D...maybe even an F.

Written By: gori on 02/07/10 at 4:35 am

00s  worst in music since the 70s and my adult life.... D
90s  depressing decade for me but nice music .... B
80s  bittersweet memories and the music.. the toys ... A ++++
70s  born here so not much to say - the music generally bores me.... C
60s  best pop rock ever... A +
50s  i picture this as black n white but the innocence n music are gone forever... A
40s  dads decade so. ...  A

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/15/12 at 5:38 pm

http://www.cracked.com/article/18355_the-top-10-decades-century-how-2000s-compared/ - The Top 10 Decades of the Century.

tl;dr: the 00's came 7th. The 40's came 1st - "But when you get down to it, any decade that features a bullet entering Hitler's head is a great decade."

People still had to live through a World War for the majority of the decade. The 90s should have come first..after all... 90s was the gold.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/15/12 at 5:47 pm

People still had to live through a World War for the majority of the decade. The 90s should have come first..after all... 90s was the gold.

00s: A-
90s: A

80s: B
70s: B-
60s: B+
50s: C+

Written By: tv on 09/15/12 at 7:19 pm

Grade Decade thats I lived through:

80's B Good childhood, good tv back then, not exposed to much to the music but remember alot of it. Boxy Cars-maybe to boxy for my tastes.
90's B-Good music started listening to music in summer of 1994 a few months before starting high school, was a big Honda fan when the 94 Accord came out new on the market. Didn't like High School so thats why this decade is not nearing a grade "A" for me. Got to see Michael Jordan play the game of basketball too. The rilvaries: Bulls-Knicks, and Knicks-Pacers were classic.
00's C The music was average until it turned to crap near the real end of the decade. 9/11 remembered but thats a bad thing. The Giants upset the Patriots in the Super Bowl in 2008. The Pistons beat the Lakers in the 2004 NBA Finals which is a classic upset. I remember the Kings-Lakers rivalry in the early 00's. Went to the Basketball Hall of Fame in Massachusetts and that was quite in experience. My 2004 trip down to the Jersey Shore was pretty good. No not Snookie's show the show wasn't around then!

Written By: warped on 09/15/12 at 7:19 pm

I'll grade the decades I've been alive in, and evaluate them how I enjoy their music, TV and film.

00s E
90s D+
80s B+
70s A
60s A-

Written By: tv on 09/15/12 at 7:21 pm

I'll grade the decades I've been alive in, and evaluate them how I enjoy their music, TV and film.

00s E
90s D+
80s B+
70s A
60s A-

00s E
90s D+
80s B+
70s A
60s A-
Whats the E for?

Written By: warped on 09/15/12 at 7:23 pm

Whats the E for?

Well, I think the music in the last 10 years is absolutely terrible. I can’t stand most of the TV shows since the 90s and the movies just aren’t as good as the 80s. Nothing personal, just my opinion.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/15/12 at 7:28 pm

Whats the E for?

I agree. The 2000s was the BEST decade for mainstream television, even edging out the 1990s.

Hell's Kitchen, Beauty & The Geek, America's Next Top Model, Playing It Straight, Meet My Folks, The Apprentice, Biggest Loser, American Idol, Survivor, Fear Factor, The Amazing Race are ALL began and aired in the 2000s.

Joey, Texas Justice, Malcom In The Middle, Pimp My Ride, Power of 10, Deal or No Deal, The Weakest Link also ALL began and aired in the 2000s.

For film, it was just another decade but there were some greats such as The Fast And The Furious films.

Music? If you were listening to the mainstream in 2008 and 2009 yeah I understand but 2005 in particular had great stuff. And 2004 for that matter.

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/15/12 at 7:31 pm

Well, I think the music in the last 10 years is absolutely terrible. I can’t stand most of the TV shows since the 90s and the movies just aren’t as good as the 80s. Nothing personal, just my opinion.

Do you look beyond Lady Gaga and Katy Perry when you say that about recent music? What about Coldplay for example? You're allowed to have an opinion but geez. The 00s weren't all about Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. In fact, most of the decade, nobody knew them.

And why not check the shows I listed that started and aired in the 2000s. I'd be SHOCKED if you couldn't like any of them.

Written By: warped on 09/15/12 at 7:37 pm

Do you look beyond Lady Gaga and Katy Perry when you say that about recent music? What about Coldplay for example? You're allowed to have an opinion but geez. The 00s weren't all about Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. In fact, most of the decade, nobody knew them.

And why not check the shows I listed that started and aired in the 2000s. I'd be SHOCKED if you couldn't like any of them.

Coldplay is alright, I can listen to them. They are just about the only recent band I can tolerate.  I just don't like too many songs that were released after 1990. I love 60s & 70s music. 

And no, I didn't like any of the TV shows you listed. Doesn't mean they are bad, I just can't watch them, they are not for me. 

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/15/12 at 9:20 pm

Coldplay is alright, I can listen to them. They are just about the only recent band I can tolerate.  I just don't like too many songs that were released after 1990. I love 60s & 70s music. 

And no, I didn't like any of the TV shows you listed. Doesn't mean they are bad, I just can't watch them, they are not for me.

Fair enough  8)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/16/12 at 3:53 pm

German pov:

1920's: C
1930's: F
1940's: F
1950's: B
1960's: A-
1970's: A
1980's: A  (A- for the very late part)
1990's: B  (A- for the very early part)
2000's: B- (A- for the very early part, C-D for the very late part)
2010's: D

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/16/12 at 3:59 pm

German pov:

1920's: C
1930's: F
1940's: F
1950's: B
1960's: A-
1970's: A
1980's: A  (A- for the very late part)
1990's: B  (A- for the very early part)
2000's: B- (A- for the very early part, C-D for the very late part)
2010's: D

For the tenties so far I'd give them a C for pop culture because of the stuff I do like.
For personal reasons:

2010: A-
2011: C+

Written By: Howard on 09/16/12 at 5:59 pm

I agree Warped.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/12 at 6:10 pm

00's: F for both pop culture-wise (nothing new-just remakes) and the state of the world.
90's: C+ and that is being generous.
80's: B+ New direction with music, movies, but started the down direction of wages, etc.
70's: B (they lost the + because fashion was AWFUL!  8-P But the music was good. )
60's: B+ Then end of Jim Crow, new directions for music, movies, etc.
50's: B- New music (rock-n-roll) but kind of stagnate in terms of state of the world.
40's: B+ New music (big band) and the people coming together for a cause (WWII).
30's: D+ Bread lines, dust bowl, etc.
20's: F because it could have been an A but Woodrow Wilson didn't do the courageous thing and kept the status quo. (Yeah, I know it was 1919 but close enough.) And for greed leading to the bread lines of the 30s. (Sort of what we are dealing with now.  :-\\ )

Cat

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/16/12 at 6:27 pm

00's: F for both pop culture-wise (nothing new-just remakes) and the state of the world.
80's: B+ New direction with music, movies, but started the down direction of wages, etc.
70's: B (they lost the + because fashion was AWFUL!  8-P But the music was good. )
50's: B- New music (rock-n-roll) but kind of stagnate in terms of state of the world.
40's: B+ New music (big band) and the people coming together for a cause (WWII).
20's: F because it could have been an A but Woodrow Wilson didn't do the courageous thing and kept the status quo. (Yeah, I know it was 1919 but close enough.) And for greed leading to the bread lines of the 30s. (Sort of what we are dealing with now.  :-\\ )

Cat

Shows like Survivor were actually very original. And although auto-tune existed in the late 20th century, and as much as I dislike a lot of auto-tune produce popular in 2008 onwards, the fact remains it really established itself in the 2000s. Movies and games such as Tokyo Drift and The Sims definitley had original ideas...

Written By: warped on 09/16/12 at 6:29 pm

Cat

The grades we give are similar. No surprise there I guess, similar ages.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/12 at 6:32 pm

Shows like Survivor were actually very original. And although auto-tune existed in the late 20th century, and as much as I dislike a lot of auto-tune produce popular in 2008 onwards, the fact remains it really established itself in the 2000s. Movies and games such as Tokyo Drift and The Sims definitley had original ideas...

Survivor may have been original but then everyone else had to copy. That is my point. There may be one or two original ideas but that is IT! You look at the movies-most are recycled old t.v. shows or sequels.

The grades we give are similar. No surprise there I guess, similar ages.

Great minds?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/16/12 at 7:03 pm

Survivor may have been original but then everyone else had to copy. That is my point. There may be one or two original ideas but that is IT! You look at the movies-most are recycled old t.v. shows or sequels.

I look at the movies and while there was no shortage of re-makes (many inferior, I'll admit) the merits of the decade are very well done. Here's another one for you, Avatar. By no means my choice of a movie, but look at the legacy it has already left and it's only 3 years old! And the idea that "everyone else had to copy" is far from the truth. There are cheap recreations out there, but for example, The Amazing Race sure wasn't a direct copy of Survivor by any stretch. Basically, television saw the genre of reality competitions establish itself in the mainstream and no matter your opinion on the shows, a good number were original.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/17/12 at 10:41 am

I look at the movies and while there was no shortage of re-makes (many inferior, I'll admit) the merits of the decade are very well done. Here's another one for you, Avatar. By no means my choice of a movie, but look at the legacy it has already left and it's only 3 years old! And the idea that "everyone else had to copy" is far from the truth. There are cheap recreations out there, but for example, The Amazing Race sure wasn't a direct copy of Survivor by any stretch. Basically, television saw the genre of reality competitions establish itself in the mainstream and no matter your opinion on the shows, a good number were original.

Personally, I have not seen Avatar but you are right that it is an original. I did say that there are a FEW originals but VERY few.

Cat

Written By: belmont22 on 09/17/12 at 7:50 pm

20s: Dunno
30s: Dunno
40s: C horrible events but somehow still charming and romantic
50s: B- charming but somewhat dull in a way
60s: B+
70s: B-
80s: A- is deducted to - because of the conservative douchebaggery present in the time, but i still love the decade
90s: C+ Growing increasingly fond of it as my first years, but it still led to what we have now and in the 00s
00s: D- Horrible decade, both personally and pop culturally, but it has a few redeeming qualities, including the years 2000, 2008 and 2009 being kinda cool
10s: B- so far. Seems like pop culture is improving. Very happy to see the music I like, such as Ellie Goulding, Passion Pit, etc getting popular and the fashion is more interesting.

Written By: Emman on 09/17/12 at 10:07 pm

'20s: C fun, zany culture, cynical lost generation, flappers but the greed lead to the great depression
'30s: D+ great depression, dust bowl, and start of World War 2 but it was a decade of community, art deco design, and swing music emerged
'40s: B- started the post-war boom, lovely women fashions, bebop jazz, film noir, zoot suits but many died in World War 2
'50s: B early rock n roll, doo wop, civil right movement, gay flannel suits, greasers and poodle skirts but very bland culturally, a little boring
'60s: A- what can I say, youth cultural upheaval, psychedelic, hippies, flower power and youthful idealism, seemed somewhat naive in retrospect
'70s: A groovy, funky designs, groovy music, far out fashion, bellbottoms, afros, back to nature aesthetic but crappy economy, pompous in places
'80s: B+ the decade I was born, new wave/punk aesthetic, early MTV, beginning of the digital age, '50s retro but high crime, AIDS, "greed is good"
'90s: C- minimalist aesthetic, laid-back vibe, darker, cynical pop culture, internet explosion but a little dull, uneventful, ugly, sloppy women fashions
'00s: D+ social media, broadband internet, good dance music, sleek designs, hip-hop dominance but the start of global financial crisis and a degenerate strip club circus pop culture
'10s: C+ EDM dominance, protest movements for change, maybe the start of something promising or the start of economic reckoning and possible wars, violent riots, rising gas and commodity prices

Check for new replies or respond here...