inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Inside Jokes in Music and Music Videos

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/10 at 11:05 pm

George Michael has a few ...

♦ In his video for 'Freedom 90', the leather jacket he wore in the 'Faith' video is set on fire, and the jukebox explodes.  

♦ Remember that whole incident involving him and an undercover cop in a public restroom?  His response was the video for his 1998 hit single 'Outside' that showed him dressed as a police offer dancing in a public restroom with disco balls.

♦ The best one:  In the animated music video for his 2002 single 'Shoot the Dog', he pokes fun at politics and in the opening scene inside the white house, he enters the oval office through a bathroom door.  As well, there is a scene where 1984 Wham!-era George, 1987 Faith-era George and 1996 Older-era George all sing and dance together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7QRY8XGCqU

------------------------

♦ In the opening scene in the video for 'Sussudio' by Phil Collins, the family seen in the house are watching the video for 'In the Air Tonight'

------------------------

♦ The 1983 hit 'Love on Your Side' by Thompson Twins includes a sample of their previous hit 'In the Name of Love'

------------------------

♦ The 2000 hit 'Show Me' by Canadian R&B group D-Cru features a sample of the 1991 hit 'Show Me the Way' by West End Girls.  Aimee MacKenzie, one of the singers of D-Cru, was a member of West End Girls.

------------------------

♦ The 1988 hit 'Kiss' by Art of Noise featuring Tom Jones, includes samples from the group's earlier hits: 'Close (to the Edit)', 'Peter Gunn' and 'Dragnet'.

------------------------

♦ The 1988 hit 'Fiesta' by The Pogues makes mention of how former bandmate Cait O'Riordon left for America and married Elvis Costello:  "Y Costello el ray el America.  Y suntuosa Cait O'Riordan"

Subject: Re: Inside Jokes in Music and Music Videos

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/05/10 at 3:11 pm

In the Video I Lost on Jeopardy by Weird Al, at the end, he is thrown into the back seat of a car and the driver turns and looks at the camera and it is Greg Kihn who originally did the song Our Love's in Jeopardy that Weird Al parodied.

Cat

Written By: Midas on 02/05/10 at 5:14 pm

In Eurythmics' "Who's That Girl" video, the comfortable-with-his-femininity Marilyn makes an appearance.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/05/10 at 7:59 pm

In the song, Everything You Did  by Steely Dan, The line, "Turn up The Eagles; the neighbors are listening" was inspired by Walter Becker's girlfriend, who loved the Eagles.

A year later, the Eagles returned the favor on "Hotel California" with the line, "They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast."

Ironically, Timothy B. Schmidt, the bass player from the Eagles played on the first Steely Dan album, Can't Buy A Thrill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoJwJoJ52wU

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/05/10 at 8:04 pm

The song, A Boy Named Sue, was  written by Shel Silverstein, who later wrote several hits for Dr. Hook, including "Sylvia's Mother" and "Cover Of The Rolling Stone." Silverstein also wrote several popular children's books.

The core story of the song was inspired by humorist Jean Shepherd, a close friend of Shel Silverstein who was often taunted as a child because of his feminine-sounding name.

The title might have been inspired by the male attorney Sue K. Hicks of Madisonville, Tennessee, a friend of John Scopes who agreed to be a prosecutor in what was to become known as the Scopes Trial. Sue was named after his mother who died after giving birth to him.

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/10 at 8:06 pm

In Eurythmics' "Who's That Girl" video, the comfortable-with-his-femininity Marilyn makes an appearance.

LOL I'd forgotten that he was in that video.  One of the other girls that Dave Stewart was running around with in the video is Siobhan Fahey, of Bananarama, whom he would later marry.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/05/10 at 8:11 pm

LOL I'd forgotten that he was in that video.  One of the other girls that Dave Stewart was running around with in the video is Siobhan Fahey, of Bananarama, whom he would later marry.

According to Wikipedia, Cheryl Baker and Jay Aston of Bucks Fizz, Kiki Dee, Hazel O'Connor, Kate Garner of Haysi Fantayzee, Thereza Bazar of Dollar, are also in the video, too.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/05/10 at 8:17 pm

For the video, Addicted To Love, not only did the girls, not know how to play the instruments, but they were also filmed separately and edited behind clips of Robert Palmer singing.

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/10 at 8:45 pm

♦ Sting makes a cameo appearance in Billy Crystal's 1985 music video for 'You Look Mahvelous'.
"Oh look, there's Sting looking for his last name in the dip"

♦ The music video for Paul Simon's 1986 hit 'You Can Call Me Al' was conceived by Lorne Michaels.  It featured former SNL alumnus Chevy Chase lip-synching to Paul's voice, whereas a confused Paul Simon sat and sang the lower pitched parts.

♦ Rather than just stick with clips from the movie 'The Jewel of the Nile', Danny DeVito, Kathleen Turner and Michael Douglas appear as backup singers in the video for Billy Ocean's 1985 hit 'When the Going Gets Tough (the Tough Get Going)'.

♦ The 1995 video for 'Buddy Holly' by Weezer was filmed as a spoof Happy Days episode.  Al Molinaro made a cameo appearance as Al, and the segment of them singing live was edited into clips of an original Happy Days episode showcasing Fonzie, stealing the show in the end

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/10 at 8:46 pm

According to Wikipedia, Cheryl Baker and Jay Aston of Bucks Fizz, Kiki Dee, Hazel O'Connor, Kate Garner of Haysi Fantayzee, Thereza Bazar of Dollar, are also in the video, too.

I thought I recognized some of those women.
Thereza Bazar is Canadian, and oddly enough, her band Dollar had zero success here

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/10 at 8:55 pm

One more ...

♦ John Landis, who directed the legendary 'Thriller' video, returned to direct Jacko's video for 'Black or White'.  The video features cameo appearances from George Wendt, Macaulay Culkin and Tyra Banks.  Landis himself is seen at the end of the video.  The opening of the video is a spoof on Twisted Sister's 'We're Not Gonna Take It' ...

♦ In the video for 'We're Not Gonna Take It' by Twisted Sister, actor Mark Metcalf spoofs his character of Douglas C. Neidermeyer, which he played in the 1978 film classic National Lampoon's Animal House.  In the band's follow-up video 'I Wanna Rock', actor Stephen Furst spoofs his Animal House character of Flounder and quotes his infamous line:  "Oh boy, is this great!"

National Lampoon's Animal House was directed by John Landis

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/05/10 at 9:20 pm

-  The initial idea for the song, Africa, came from David Paich, playing on his piano. Jeff explains the idea behind the song: "... a white boy is trying to write a song on Africa, but since he's never been there, he can only tell what he's seen on TV or remembers in the past."

David Paich says the following: "At the beginning of the 80's I watched a late night documentary on TV about all the terrible death and suffering of the people in Africa. It both moved and appalled me and the pictures just wouldn't leave my head. I tried to imagine how I'd feel about if I was there and what I'd do.

"Africa" was almost omitted from the Toto IV record prior to its release. Having spent a great amount of time producing the tune, the band became so tired of the song that they didn’t want it on the album. The song itself was very different from anything the band had done before, and some members felt that it didn’t sound like Toto.

-  The song All That She Wants, is about young women in Denmark using men as "Stud Bulls" in order to get pregnant (to get welfare payments for being single mothers)

- Due to the anti-American lyrics, of the song American Women, The Guess Who was not allowed to play this when they performed at the White House for President Richard Nixon in 1970.

Written By: Henk on 02/06/10 at 1:46 am

"Mr Blobby" is a novelty song performed by character Mr Blobby, famous for appearing in the TV programme Noel's House Party.
The Mr Blobby spoof theme song "Mr Blobby", written by Philip Raxster, was released as a single and somewhat improbably hit #1 on the UK Singles Chart.
A music video was created for the single. It spoofed several music videos such as "Addicted to Love" by Robert Palmer and ZZ Top's 3-man arm swing-and-point, featured in many of their videos.

The video featured celebrities such as Noel Edmonds, Carol Vorderman, Garth Crooks, and Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear as Mr Blobby's limo driver.

They say seeing is believing... ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h37KQu64RY4

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/06/10 at 9:44 am

- The inspiration, for the song American Idiot, came after the band's lead singer, heard a Lynyrd Skynyrd song being played on his car radio, whilst driving to the studio.

He told Q magazine May 2009: "It was like, I'm proud to be a redneck and I was like, Oh my God, why would you be proud of something like that? This is exactly what I'm against. When he got to the studio, Armstrong furiously penned this song. He said: "I looked at the guys like, Do you mind that I'm saying this? And they were like, No, we agree with you. And it started the ball rolling."

-  The band, They Might Be Giants, got the idea for the song, Ana Ng, when they noticed a large number of people in the New York City phone book named "Ana Ng".

Check for new replies or respond here...