inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was there a roller skating rink, in your town?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/05/10 at 9:26 pm

There was one in Thunder Bay, where I used to live, called Wheelies Family Roller Skating Centre, which closed, and is now the site of a furniture store.

Subject: Re: Was there a roller skating rink, in your town?

Written By: ladybug316 on 02/05/10 at 9:55 pm

There were a few, but my favorite was United Skates of America in Brooklyn

Written By: Tam on 02/05/10 at 10:31 pm

Most definitely!
It was called 13 Acres, then it changed to Studio 801. Those were the days!! The glory days! 8)
I think they eventually renamed it to Celebrity Sportsworld but I was too old to go then doncha know! ;)

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/10 at 10:39 pm

Most definitely!
It was called 13 Acres, then it changed to Studio 801. Those were the days!! The glory days! 8)
I think they eventually renamed it to Celebrity Sportsworld but I was too old to go then doncha know! ;)

Along with roller skating, it had a dance floor, concession stand, 5 pin bowling, and various other attractions that changed over the years.  In the 80s, I remember the jumping castle and bumper cars.

In the late 80s, they used to always play the hits 'Push It' by Salt N' Pepa and 'Stay With Me' by Tu, and for the memories they evoke, are still among my all-time favourite songs ever.  I drive past the vacant lot where Studio 801 used to be, and it still brings a tear to my eye.  That place was awesome, and I will never forget it!

I actually got thrown out of there twice when it was 'Celebrity Sportsworld' LOL

Written By: nally on 02/05/10 at 10:42 pm

Yes...in fact, there still is.

When I was growing up, I lived in the San Fernando Valley and went to Skateland, which is located very close to Cal State University Northridge. The first time I went there, in March 1989, I was only 8 1/2 years old and rather inexperienced with roller skating, so a couple of my friends assisted me. The last time I went there was in 1996 on the day after Christmas. On that day I skated 109 laps around the roller rink, despite an almost 4-year hiatus from my prior visit there. And the place is still there. Official web site in case anyone is interested: http://www.skateland.net/

Near where I currently live, there is a Skating Plus roller rink; this facility is located in Ventura, but I have not been to it. (However, I've bowled at the bowling alley next door to it, Buena Lanes.)

An additional note on the Skateland roller rink: I celebrated my 9th birthday there, in July 1989, with mostly school friends. They have a party room along with a place to play video games and stuff..

Written By: Tam on 02/05/10 at 10:44 pm

Along with roller skating, it had a dance floor, concession stand, 5 pin bowling, and various other attractions that changed over the years.  In the 80s, I remember the jumping castle and bumper cars.

In the late 80s, they used to always play the hits 'Push It' by Salt N' Pepa and 'Stay With Me' by Tu, and for the memories they evoke, are still among my all-time favourite songs ever.  I drive past the vacant lot where Studio 801 used to be, and it still brings a tear to my eye.  That place was awesome, and I will never forget it!

I actually got thrown out of there twice when it was 'Celebrity Sportsworld' LOL

As if you got thrown out of there! Too funny!!
Just thinking about the place makes me feel all silly and gushy, like I am a young gaffer again! I remember before I was really into boys, laughing at the girls kissing boys... then it was my turn!!! Oy!! I wish I could turn back the hands of time just to enjoy those moments all over again! 8)

Written By: whistledog on 02/05/10 at 10:58 pm

As if you got thrown out of there! Too funny!!

They had good reason to.  Me and my buddy turned a game of mini golf into a driving range against the side of the building. 
The second time, I was stealing quarters from a broken Skeeball machine.  They couldn't press legal action against me because there was no evidence:  my buddy made off with all the quarters I'd grabbed and he basically threw me to the wolves lol

By that time, we knew the place was going down hill.  People stopped going there because of riff raff like me :D

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/10 at 3:59 pm

I don't have a roller skating rink where I live but I do have an ice skating rink called The Pavillions. It serves as a concert 'arena' and swimming pool as well. It was good for it's time but needs knocking down and making a bigger centre in it's place specifically for concerts to attract bigger bands.

Written By: Frank on 02/06/10 at 4:41 pm

We used to have one, years ago. I fell down many times!

Written By: Bobby on 02/06/10 at 5:17 pm

There was a roller skating hall in Moreton school in Wolverhampton where there was no music, just skating. I remember getting clotheslined by two bigger kids which knocked me flying on my back. The supervising teacher saw what happened and they got removed from the premises.

Written By: nally on 02/06/10 at 5:27 pm

I fell down a lot too, when I first learned to rollerskate. I haven't been roller skating in a little over 13 years, which makes me wonder if I'd fall down again if I tried to do it anytime soon.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/06/10 at 9:30 pm

Well, not in my town, per se.  There wasn't much of anything in my town, but in the vicinity there were several rinks where we used to go rollah skatin' in New Hampshah!  The cool one was Spinoff North (Spinoff Noth) in Nashua, but that closed in 1982, so we had to go to second-best Good Times in Merrimack.  Happy Wheels in Manchester was strictly for gaylords.*
:)

*this term does not refer to homosexuality.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/07/10 at 3:17 pm

Hell yeah!  Classic Skating in Sandy, Utah.  It was so the 6th grade hangout.  My favorite song to skate to was Janet Jackson's "Escapade."  This thread brings back so many memories!  I love it!  Remember couple's skating?  I think they called it a snowball or something? 

We also had an ice skating rink really close to my house that I went to all the time.  Pretty similar vibe, only colder.  ;D

My girlfriend and I tried to go roller skating once in our early twenties, and she fell flat on her butt within about 30 seconds of hitting the floor.  I laughed so hard I almost peed.  We lasted about five minutes and then our ankles hurt so bad we both gave up.  Kids are a lot tougher than adults are, I'm telling you. 

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/07/10 at 5:21 pm

There still is a roller rink in Lancaster.  It's called The Castle.    http://www.castlerollerskating.com/  Haven't been there in years though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/08/10 at 12:13 am

There still is a roller rink in Lancaster.  It's called The Castle.    http://www.castlerollerskating.com/  Haven't been there in years though.

My nieces go to Interskate 91 sometimes, and I think there are couple of other rinks, but I never go.  If I got on a pair of skates today, I'd probably look like what I thought my old man looked like on roller skates -- a middle aged dork who doesn't belong on roller skates!
;D

Written By: Midas on 02/11/10 at 8:20 am

Great Skate in Glendale AZ.  It's been there over 25 years.  The first time I went there was in 1984.  They had cool games like Discs of Tron & Cliff Hanger.  The last time I went was a few years ago when a girl I was dating's charter school class had a party there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/12/10 at 11:48 am

Great Skate in Glendale AZ.  It's been there over 25 years.  The first time I went there was in 1984.  They had cool games like Discs of Tron & Cliff Hanger.  The last time I went was a few years ago when a girl I was dating's charter school class had a party there.

I did play some of those video games, Galaxian, Galaga, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Sea Wolf, Pac Man, but you had to keep feeding quarters into the damned tings.  That was money I could spend to feed my sugar addictions.  Either way, I lost, but the sugar high lasted longer than the video games!
:D

Written By: Zeb on 02/22/10 at 5:49 pm

Yes there was! It was called the Black Hawk Roller Dome and it was located in Waterloo, Iowa. During my first four years of elementary school the school would hold a yearly roller skating party there. The older kids would be checking one another into the walls like they were NHLers.  There would be an all boys skate, an all girls skate, a parents and children’s skate and a couples skate as well. 

Check for new replies or respond here...