inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your take on *Fuzz*, *Wah-Wah*, and other assorted guitar effects

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/13/10 at 7:32 am

Last year we lost a great pioneer of electric guitar, Les Paul, who some said was the father of the electric guitar.  Once again, R.I.P. Les Paul.

As much as we rock kiddies loved the electric guitar, we'd of course never leave well enough alone.  And so the "effects" were born.  (Note that this was before computers were a major music entity.)

I'm not sure which came first, but in the early 60's Fuzz got popular.  Both guitar and on electric bass feature fuzz in some of the major hits of the time.

In the latter part of the decade, approximately coinciding with the psychedelic sound, someone invented the Wah-wah pedal for guitar.  The wah-wah guitar sound became a staple of the late 60's and early 70's sound.

Later in the 70's, the Talk Box became popular for certain sounds (just ask Peter Frampton).  Although maybe not as widespread as some other guitar effects, it made a huge impact when used properly.

Of course, my Dad, who never embraced rock-era music, called it all distortion.  Aww Dad...  ::)

Any thoughts about these or other guitar/bass effects?

Check for new replies or respond here...