inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Films you had to watch in school ...

Written By: whistledog on 03/18/10 at 11:02 am

♦ In Grade 7, my teacher had us watch the entire series of the 1978 British drama 'Midnight is A Place'.  That theme song has stuck with me all these years, but it's been so long, I wouldn't be able to begin to tell you the plots of each episode ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZv7UHz_m5E

♦ In Grade 12, we watched the 1978 film 'Midnight Express', the true story of American Billy Hayes, who escapes from a Turkish prison after being sentenced for trying to smuggle drugs into the United States.

Subject: Re: Films you had to watch in school ...

Written By: nally on 03/18/10 at 11:48 am

When I was in high school I had a "Culture Awareness" class in my sophomore year, in which we had to watch certain films pertaining to American culture and how it eventually came to be. For example, there was Mississippi Burning, a 1988 film set in the 60's in Alabama. I didn't watch it at school, but I did rent it.

In my English classes there were a few movies we watched that were based on literary pieces we read, such as West Side Story and The Outsiders. This was to help us understand more about the works.

And I'm sure there were other films that we watched at school, but none are coming to mind at the moment.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 03/18/10 at 1:48 pm

We watched.....

Gandhi
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
The Breakfast Club
Macbeth
Charly
Short Circuit
Romeo and Juliet
Grease

Written By: nupur on 03/18/10 at 2:03 pm

In middle school, we watched Romeo & Juliet, Apollo 13, Finding Nemo (in Spanish) and Dante's Peak (lol).

Throughout high school, we watched quite a few movies in my Spanish classes. Here are a few that I remember:

Como Agua Para Chocolate
Nueve Reinas
Maria Llena de Gracia

We also watched a lot of movies based on the literature we read in my English classes:

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
The Crucible
A Separate Peace
Twelfth Night
Sophie's Choice (HATED the book)

There're more, but I can't remember . . .

Oh, and in my 11th grade biology class, we watched an emergency childbirth film from the WWII era, which taught us how to deliver a baby in a bomb shelter. My teacher found it amusing to bring his classes jelly donuts and cranberry juice every single year he showed it.  8-P

Written By: karen on 03/18/10 at 4:16 pm

Films I remember watching

Lord of the Flies
Taming of the Shrew (with John Cleese in one of the leading roles)
The Chocolate Soldier

in primary school we had films at random times (mainly end of term) and one that sticks in my mind is The Plank.  The other ones were mainly of the public information - don't play on building sites type things which I hated.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/18/10 at 4:35 pm

None.  We did see the first space launch with Alan Shepard.

Written By: gibbo on 03/18/10 at 6:05 pm

I only remember a few...

Jesus Christ Superstar
One Day In the Life of Ivan Denisovich (by Alexander Solzenitsyn)...I just know that whole sentence is misspelled!!!  ;D
The Third Man
The Fallen Idol
Hamlet

Written By: robby76 on 03/18/10 at 10:23 pm

Some were educational, others were for the end of term when there were no lessons etc.

Piranha (1978)
Lion, Witch and The Wardrobe (the 1967 one)
Gregory's Girl (1981)

Written By: topforty on 03/18/10 at 10:55 pm

Other than "Gone With The Wind" I can't recall any real film ever being shown for class.  The only films we got were the PSA types like on pollution, or films about the culture of a country we were studying.  My geography teacher was big on those. 

Then of course there were the drivers ed horror film showing cars that were involved in accidents from the 1950's or early 60's and what could happen to you if you drive recklessly.

And who can forget the film in junior high and high school phy ed class on vd, always shown on the first day of class and the dangers of sharing a wet towel with somebody that might be infected.  ;D  The film never really did explain how that first person might have come into contact with vd, all I remember now is the sharing of wet towels and how it advised not to do that.  :D  I wonder if they still have those films around, I think they'd be hilarious to look at now.

In first grade too I remember seeing a film on what to do in case of a nuclear war.  After the film we had a drill, the fire alarms went off in school and we proceeded to what was called the bomb shelter and did the duck and cover routine.  All I know I was scared a hell of a long time after that thinking I might have to do this for real one day. 

Written By: Fairee07 on 03/18/10 at 10:58 pm

From what I remember when we had to do a movie comparison to a book and had to do an assignment:

Albert Hitchock's "Birds"  ("Birds" short story in a book)

"Apocalypse Now"  ("Heart of Darkness")

Written By: belladonna on 04/01/10 at 2:25 am

Where did you people go to school?  All we ever got to see were those jumpy, static filled, b & w  reel to reel Coronet Films like Social Courtesy and More Dates For Kay.  They were so old they had that permanently scratched white line that ran through every frame.

Written By: Davester on 04/01/10 at 8:01 pm

"Gallipoli" in history class and "Adam" in social sciences...

Written By: Bobby on 04/01/10 at 8:49 pm

I remember heading towards a school holiday and, having little to do, watched 'Crocodile Dundee' in a science lesson.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/10 at 12:33 am

When I took driver's ed. we had to watch all kinds of public service films about YOUR responsibilities as a citizen motorist, and don't forget the emergency precautions, like kitty litter and a snow shovel.  Yeah, they were still using a 16 mm film projector!  Driver's Ed. in my town was taught by a cranky old drunk named Coach Callaghy.  Real cantankerous guy.  He didn't teach on-road because he was often half in the wrapper. Anyway, those movies were just straight pablum, put you right to sleep, especially because it was an evening class.  I'd fall asleep at exactly the same time as the cap for the projector invariably fell off and Coach Calleghy was cursing under his breath at the A/V kid.  Then the movie would start and I'd nod off again!  In the beginning of the course, Coach Callaghy said there was a final exam but emphasized it wouldn't count.  So we goofed off. The class before the exam he was so fed up with disaffected youth like me not showing on time and sleeping during the movies that he mandated anybody who didn't get 80% on the final would flunk!  So I flunked classroom driver's ed.  Didn't bother retaking it.  Insurance only gives you break on that until you're 21, and I didn't get a car at all until I was 23.  Anyway, it was really vindictive what Coach Calleghy did, but there was no ombudsman in junior high!
:D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/03/10 at 12:45 am

I took a women's studies class for an easy A. 

We had to watch:
"Basic Instinct"
"Thelma and Louise"
and
"The Accused"

I knew what the teacher wanted to hear, so it was easy to write papers for her!
;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/03/10 at 2:37 pm

In middle school, we had "movie day" about 3 or 4 times a school year. They turned our auditorium into a movie theatre (without the popcorn) and we had to pay to watch these movies they had (I think it was something like 50 cents). They had such wonderful movies like The Blob, Ben (yes, the movie about a rat), & Asylum (which was sort of like Tales From the Crypt). Yup-whoever picked these movies for 10-14 year olds did a marvelous job-NOT! Oh, you could opt out on going to see these movies. In that case, you got to spend about 2 hours in a classroom with the handful of other kids who opted out and you got to talk, read, and basically just waste 2 hours.

In grade school, I do remember watching some Disney movies like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjHrmmFIErY

Cat 

Written By: nupur on 04/03/10 at 2:44 pm

In middle school, we had "movie day" about 3 or 4 times a school year. They turned our auditorium into a movie theatre (without the popcorn) and we had to pay to watch these movies they had (I think it was something like 50 cents). They had such wonderful movies like The Blob, Ben (yes, the movie about a rat), & Asylum (which was sort of like Tales From the Crypt). Yup-whoever picked these movies for 10-14 year olds did a marvelous job-NOT! Oh, you could opt out on going to see these movies. In that case, you got to spend about 2 hours in a classroom with the handful of other kids who opted out and you got to talk, read, and basically just waste 2 hours.

In grade school, I do remember watching some Disney movies like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjHrmmFIErY

Cat  

Ah, yes! "Toot, Whistle, Plunk, and Boom" is a short featured in the extras of the Fantasia 2000 DVD I have. I love watching that cartoon, and "Melody," which is also on the DVD.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/03/10 at 3:25 pm

We had to watch:
"Basic Instinct"
"Thelma and Louise"
and
"The Accused"

I knew what the teacher wanted to hear, so it was easy to write papers for her!
;D

Luckily for you those ridiculous little classes are offered.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/15/10 at 8:30 pm

We had to watch:
"Basic Instinct"
"Thelma and Louise"
and
"The Accused"

I knew what the teacher wanted to hear, so it was easy to write papers for her! ;D

"Happy Easter!  Care to go for a drive?  I know a place where a deaf, dumb and blind kid sure plays a mean pinball..."

http://images0.cafepress.com/product/73641780v7_125x125_Front.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...