inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bands or musicians, your on the fence about.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/04/10 at 2:27 pm

What bands or musicians, are you on the fence about or at least, ming blogged about the success of?

For me.....

The Doors

They are an ok band, and did so decent songs, but for some reason, people where fawning over Jim Morrison, like there was not tomorrow.

Led Zeppelin

Like wise, I feel the same thing about this band.

Creed

A decent band, but the best band from the 90's?  Hardly.

Nickleback

They are currently the biggest band out there, but to me there like an update version of Creed.

;D

Yes

Kind of like the band, but my room mate plays their greatest hits album over and over again, I find myself wanting to use the album as a frisbee,

;D

Jethro Tull

I suppose that Aqua Lung is ok, but can't say that I really like the rest of their songs.

America

Like a couple of their songs, the rest for me are kinda meh.

and finally.....

Styx

I like a few of their songs, some of the others are kind of ok at best.

Anyone else?

???

Subject: Re: Bands or musicians, your on the fence about.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/04/10 at 3:14 pm

Metallica

They were decent, then came the whole Napster/St. Anger thingy.

My Chemical Romance

Ok band, but then they are responsible, for the whole emo thing, I hate.

;D

Celine Dion

Ok at the bigging, but now kind of blah.

Mariah Carrey

Ditto.

Written By: Big Nose on 04/04/10 at 4:57 pm

Lady GaGa

While she's talented and would never get a nose job like Ashlee Tisdale & Simpson, she's way too focused on her image and feeds on those dumb rumours

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/04/10 at 4:59 pm

Lady GaGa

While she's talented and would never get a nose job like Ashlee Tisdale & Simpson, she's way too focused on her image and feeds on those dumb rumours

I agree, she is pretty talented but yet too processed and packaged.

Written By: Frank on 04/04/10 at 7:33 pm

Hall and Oates, I don't like many of their songs.
James Brown: I just don't get his music.
Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, lady gaga and I could make a very, very long list but I will stop here.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/04/10 at 7:39 pm

I love Hall and Oates, but I agree with you on Britney Spears.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/04/10 at 9:16 pm

The Offspring.

I swear, half their songs I like so much that I turn up the radio when they come on, and the other half are so cheesy and annoying that I have to change the station.  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 04/04/10 at 10:53 pm

Christina Aguilera.  ;D

David Matthews Band.

Written By: topforty on 04/05/10 at 1:59 pm

Gotta agree with a few that have already been mentioned

Hall and Oates, maybe two of their songs I like, the rest, huh????

James Brown, again, huh????

Doobie Brothers

Stevie Wonder

Billy Joel, after the Piano Man, not much there that I liked

Michael Jackson, gotta say I was into Billie Jean and Beat It, as much as the rest of the world back then but other than that ...

Add the Jackson 5 and the rest of the Jackson's solo career's in here too, just don't get it

Prince  I had a friend in college who loved the guy because he said Prince was a musical genius, I didn't get it then and I still don't get it.

Garth Brooks, a song or two I like out of the zillions he's released and that's about it

Cher I'm waiting for her coming out of retirement tour that will last three years then another retirement tour that will last another six years, people like her because ....

There could literally be another couple dozen or three but that's a starter list.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/05/10 at 2:50 pm

Cher and The Doobie Brothers are on my list, too.

Written By: Frank on 04/06/10 at 4:43 pm

Cher and The Doobie Brothers are on my list, too.

Cher's on my list too, so is Garth Brooks, some Michael Jackson too, I like the Jackson 5 stuff, but other than a few songs in the 80s, I didn't like his stuff much either.
Prince was OK until he released "kiss"..That's gotta be one of the few songs where I just run like a madman to the radio and turn it off...and then breathe a sigh of relief.

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/10 at 5:18 pm

Rush.  I just don't see the appeal of their music.  A few of their songs are catchy, but that whole responsive "How can you call yourself Canadian and not like Rush" that I often get, I just don't get.

In the long list of great Canadian bands, they would not be in my Top 1000

Written By: Frank on 04/06/10 at 5:26 pm

Rush.  I just don't see the appeal of their music.  A few of their songs are catchy, but that whole responsive "How can you call yourself Canadian and not like Rush" that I often get, I just don't get.

In the long list of great Canadian bands, they would not be in my Top 1000

I am Canadian
I also don't like Rush.  It's Geddy Lee's voice, cause shrills down my spine. He can't sing. My ears can't handle his voice.

I like "Subdivisions", and maybe 1 or 2 more, that's about it.

Written By: loki 13 on 04/06/10 at 5:44 pm

Would I be considered a fence sitter if I were to say I like early Rush but despise later Rush. I have all the albums
up to Moving Pictures but I don't really listen to anything after A Farewell To Kings.

I feel that way about many bands, it seems that 1980 is the destroyer of careers. Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis,
all suck after 1980. To me, The Moody Blues are the only band that has gotten better after 1980, not worse.

Written By: Frank on 04/06/10 at 5:46 pm

Would I be considered a fence sitter if I were to say I like early Rush but despise later Rush. I have all the albums
up to Moving Pictures but I don't really listen to anything after A Farewell To Kings.

I feel that way about many bands, it seems that 1980 is the destroyer of careers. Rush, Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis,

Yes, Pink Floyd And Genesis much much better in the 70s than the 80s, that's for sure. I am a huge Genesis and Pink Floyd fan, mainly due to their 70s music.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/07/10 at 7:27 am

Yes, Pink Floyd And Genesis much much better in the 70s than the 80s, that's for sure. I am a huge Genesis and Pink Floyd fan, mainly due to their 70s music.

I don't know why many people still hate '80s Genesis when they and the solo members were more popular and commercially successful than ever, and will likely be the hits that most people remember. (I don't own a single Genesis single before Misunderstanding!)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/07/10 at 9:49 am

I don't know why many people still hate '80s Genesis when they and the solo members were more popular and commercially successful than ever, and will likely be the hits that most people remember. (I don't own a single Genesis single before Misunderstanding!)

I love the work Genesis put out the 80's myself, too.

Written By: Frank on 04/07/10 at 11:20 am

I love the work Genesis put out the 80's myself, too.

The Genesis 80s stuff was good (esp the early 80s, after Invisible touch...not much after that album), but their 70s stuff was so much better.  Guess it depends what kind of music you get into.

Written By: whistledog on 04/07/10 at 5:21 pm

For me, Genesis is awesome as a whole, no matter what time period it was.  Without them, there would be no Mike + the Mechanics, and that just wouldn't do as the music of Mike + the Mechanics and Genesis was a big part of my youth

Written By: loki 13 on 04/07/10 at 5:52 pm

This is the reason I don't like 80's Genesis. The bands I mentioned, Genesis among them, were very good progressive rock bands. When the 80's came
they transformed into commercial, made for radio/MTV pop bands. Gone were the elaborate productions and in were the 4 minute ditties. Many board
members already know of my disdain radio rock. The 1980's turned many a great band into radio rock flunkies, it's just not for me.

All the bands I mentioned have that one album, the transition album in which the album is okay but you can sense the change from elaborate to ditty.

Genesis...Duke
Yes...Tormato
Rush...Moving Pictures
Pink Floyd...The Wall

Written By: Frank on 04/08/10 at 1:52 am

This is the reason I don't like 80's Genesis. The bands I mentioned, Genesis among them, were very good progressive rock bands. When the 80's came
they transformed into commercial, made for radio/MTV pop bands. Gone were the elaborate productions and in were the 4 minute ditties. Many board
members already know of my disdain radio rock. The 1980's turned many a great band into radio rock flunkies, it's just not for me.

All the bands I mentioned have that one album, the transition album in which the album is okay but you can sense the change from elaborate to ditty.

Genesis...Duke
Yes...Tormato
Rush...Moving Pictures
Pink Floyd...The Wall

I like your analysis.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/08/10 at 2:01 am

Genesis is one of those bands I'm on the fence about.

Written By: Frank on 04/08/10 at 2:13 am

I'm just sittin' on a fence
You can say I got no sense
Trying to make up my mind
Really is too horrifying
So I'm sittin on a fence

-Sitting on a fence - Rolling Stones, circa 1967

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/08/10 at 8:27 am

For me at this moment, two of the most overrated artists are Ke$ha and Justin Bieber, Beyonce is slowly getting up there, too.

Written By: tv on 04/08/10 at 1:38 pm

Christina Aguilera-Ok she has a good voice and a few good songs(Genie In A Bottle, Beautiful, and Reflections) but thats about it.

Whitney Houston(I like "I;m Your Baby Tonight", and "So Emotional".) but thats about it. I respect her voice.

Lady GaGa-I respect her talent but I don;t think her songs display her talent as well as they should. I still like GaGa though.

Offspring-I like their 90's stuff but not their 00's stuff(just can't get into it at all.)

N'Sync(yeah them.) I like "I Want You Back", "Tearin Up My Heart"  and "This I Promise You" was a good ballad back in the day but their other stuff not so much.

Stone Temple Pilots-ok I like them alot but other people have either debated are they are a great band, or  just a good band?

Jessica Simpson-great voice-never had the songs to show her voice off properly. A song like "I Wanna Love You Forever" could have been her version of Mariah Carey's "Vision Of Love" in a way that might have set her up for a long period of success but it never happened.

Gun's N Roses-again like Stone Temple Pilots are they a great band or just a good band I mean their success didn't last very long.

Weezer-I liked their 90's /early 00's stuff but their mid to late 00's stuff sucks.

The Hair Metal of the 80's/real early 90's-ok they had some good songs but the thing was with the Hair Metal Bands was they had 2 hits each with the trademark slow ballad and han the 1 heavy song and that was it for the most part of this trend.

Bon Jovi-They are not a great band but they have survived every musical trend possible(grunge, gangsta rap, teen-pop, and glam rap) over the last 20 years

I notice people questioning the band "Genesis" on these boards. Well I like their 80's/early 90's stuff. Never really listened to their 70's stuff with Peter Gaberiel.

Written By: tv on 04/08/10 at 1:49 pm

Genesis...Duke

Yes...Tormato
Rush...Moving Pictures
Pink Floyd...The Wall
What I thought the cuts I heard off of their "Abacab" cd were still experimental.

Check for new replies or respond here...