inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What do people mean when they say "my time"?

Written By: 80sfan on 04/17/10 at 10:33 pm

I often hear people say, especially grandparents, say..."Oh, she was the Lady Gaga of my time".

What do older people mean when they say "my time".

Their teens? Any year they were under 30? Or is it just a saying?

Subject: Re: What do people mean when they say "my time"?

Written By: gibbo on 04/17/10 at 11:02 pm

I often hear people say, especially grandparents, say..."Oh, she was the Lady Gaga of my time".

Usually, it refers back to a time when everything was cheaper and the streets and parks were safe to roam and play. It can also refer to pre-marriage. I know when I say that phrase (or something like it)..I nearly always refer to an event before I was married...back when I considered myself a player.  ;D

Of course, the 'real' game only commenced after my kids were born... ;)

I guess " my time" is fast become a thing of the distant past.... :-\\

Written By: 80sfan on 04/17/10 at 11:46 pm

Usually, it refers back to a time when everything was cheaper and the streets and parks were safe to roam and play. It can also refer to pre-marriage. I know when I say that phrase (or something like it)..I nearly always refer to an event before I was married...back when I considered myself a player.  ;D

Of course, the 'real' game only commenced after my kids were born... ;)

I guess " my time" is fast become a thing of the distant past.... :-\\

Funny dude. 1 Karma!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/17/10 at 11:54 pm

My time doing whatever you're doing.  My time being inevitably cheaper, easier, harder, stricter, less permissive, more permissive...whatever!
::)

Written By: 80sfan on 04/18/10 at 12:13 am

My time doing whatever you're doing.  My time being inevitably cheaper, easier, harder, stricter, less permissive, more permissive...whatever!
::)

Hey MaxwellSmart, how high is your IQ? I've read some of your comments and you seem pretty smart.

Written By: gibbo on 04/18/10 at 4:35 am

Hey MaxwellSmart, how high is your IQ? I've read some of your comments and you seem pretty smart.

Haha ...only seems?  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/18/10 at 12:58 pm

Haha ...only seems?  ;D

I didn't mean it that way. He actually sounds smart also.

What I mean is I think he's pretty smart.  8)

Written By: whistledog on 04/18/10 at 5:16 pm

He actually sounds smart also.

You've heard his voice? :D

Written By: 80sfan on 04/18/10 at 5:32 pm

You've heard his voice? :D

You guys are too much!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/10 at 12:39 pm

Can't be too high cuz them guys wouldn't let me into that there Menstrual Society

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 04/19/10 at 4:12 pm

Can't be too high cuz them guys wouldn't let me into that there Menstrual Society

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_scratch.gif

;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/19/10 at 9:32 pm

If your grandparents are aware of Lady Gaga, they're doing pretty good at keeping up with the times.

Most generally, any year when you remember yourself as being cooler than you think of yourself now.  (And for most people, that's probably "when they were under 30" and/or still single, or at least Young, Dumb, and Ugly.)

Most specifically, it means When I Was Your Age.

Written By: Frank on 04/20/10 at 1:19 am

It means "When I was growing up"

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/20/10 at 9:48 am

OK I DO know what the phrase "my time" means in the context of "She was the Lady Gaga of my time means."  What I don't understand is when McDonald's uses the phrase when they advertise their fabulous iced coffee concoctions...  I guess they mean "My time" in regards to "I find that I need a McDonald's iced latte most when..."

edit:Can't find an example of the commercial on youtube right now, I'll check later and post it when I find the commercial.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/20/10 at 5:46 pm

OK I DO know what the phrase "my time" means in the context of "She was the Lady Gaga of my time means."  What I don't understand is when McDonald's uses the phrase when they advertise their fabulous iced coffee concoctions...  I guess they mean "My time" in regards to "I find that I need a McDonald's iced latte most when..."

edit:Can't find an example of the commercial on youtube right now, I'll check later and post it when I find the commercial.

Wow, you really like cats don't you? I like them too. But obviously not as much as you!  :P

And hmmm....I have got to try the ice latte at McDonald's, it sounds good. Have you tried the Caramel or Moca Frappe at McDonald's? I've tried the Caramel, it is sooooo good. 

Written By: 80sfan on 04/20/10 at 5:54 pm

If your grandparents are aware of Lady Gaga, they're doing pretty good at keeping up with the times.

Most generally, any year when you remember yourself as being cooler than you think of yourself now.  (And for most people, that's probably "when they were under 30" and/or still single, or at least Young, Dumb, and Ugly.)

Most specifically, it means When I Was Your Age.

Oh no, I was watching this movie or show (I forgot) around 2003 or so and Hillary Duff was in it and her grandma (she must've been cool) was talking about how this famous singer was like the Britney Spears of her generation. The woman playing the grandma was Raymond's grandma from Everybody Loves Raymond.

This was before Gaga even had her first single so the biggest female singer then was Britney so I guess that's why she used Britney as an example.

That show/movie was where I got the idea for my quote I used "She was the Lady Gaga of my time".

So no, my grandparents aren't that cool.  ;D

I actually believe there are some grandparents out there that must know who Gaga is. They might not pay attention to her as much (since she's not from their generation), but I guess some do know, don't they?

Check for new replies or respond here...