inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Where do you "draw the line" for the type of music you listen to?

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/07/10 at 9:50 am

It seems to me that most people have a "Wall" that divides the boundary where they feel their "good old days" stopped, and in some cases even a little before their time or being way to young to remember. It could be defined by genre, artist, or timeframe. In many cases, a few songs on the "wrong side of the line", usually by the older artists are accepted, but remains definitively lopsided toward the other sign of that border.

For me personally, I draw the line at 1993; grunge/early gangsta had some meaning, but after that it became tiredsome and bland, and eventually too electronic (for instance house yielded to techno/electronica. I can't get that techno song from that Lincoln Car commercial out of my head!) Plus it seems like black music declined in quality shortly after that; also, ticket prices really took off and the emphasis came less on the pre-recorded music but more on the live touring.

Subject: Re: Where do you "draw the line" for the type of music you listen to?

Written By: tnf on 06/08/10 at 10:05 pm

I'm doubting... 2006 or 2008. Although there are some (wellknown) recent songs I really like, there aren't much compared to the years before. Since 2006: Just less memorable songs, more bland stuff and too much watered down 'rock' music like Keane. Since 2008: the electropop/synth/autotune hype, something I don't like. Much (wellknown) nowadays music sounds gloomy, too overproduced, with an 80s feel and my musical taste isn't. Besides the fact those watered down, bland 'rock' music is still everywhere. Nowadays (pop)rock needs a little bit more spice.

In fact, the whole 2006-2008 era was a transitional period for me.

Written By: Brian06 on 06/08/10 at 10:40 pm

Well the first big line was definitely sometime in 2005, I felt a big decline after that. But then 2008 and half of 09 was a bit better. But really after 2005 is overall more inferior. Of course if you're talking what I think of as the good old days as of today, 2005 isn't old enough to be that yet so it would be more like pre 21st century which all seems quite old to me now.

Written By: whistledog on 06/18/10 at 8:00 pm

For me, North American mainstream ended when Grunge began.  There is still the odd good song on the radio, but if you want not just one good one but a whole bunch of good ones, you need to listen what Europe listens to.

All my fave bands and artists of today, are well known overseas but unknown here.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/19/10 at 6:58 pm

Somewhere in the late 90s after all the boybands took off. Like I like the Backstreet boys but when so many copy cat acts were bouncing up, i was like I'm out, and popped the Bad CD in and pretended it was 1988. LOL

Written By: joeman on 06/19/10 at 11:46 pm

Interesting topic.  I think people really get into music starting at age 12 and probably peak around 15-16.  Afterwards, life carries you away and you become less attached to new music as time goes by.  Peronally, I would put anything after 2002 as music I won't go gaga(no pun intended) over.  There are still good music I like that are recent, but the music that came out in the 90s/early 00s is where it hits me, as if they were soundtrakcs to my life.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/20/10 at 5:13 am

Draw the line?  I don't think there is a line, there is what you like and what you don't like.  Black music declined in quality?  So all black music is the same?  Sometimes posters really don't think through what they are actually trying to say

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/10 at 11:43 pm

I'm never comfortable drawing lines.  If it's good.  I'll enjoy it whether it's Black Metal or Showtunes.  If it sucks -- and a lot of stuff out there in all genres sucks -- then I won't bother with it. 

Written By: Davester on 06/22/10 at 1:19 pm

Draw the line?  I don't think there is a line, there is what you like and what you don't like.  Black music declined in quality?  So all black music is the same?  Sometimes posters really don't think through what they are actually trying to say

Hey, only white music can be identified by genre.  Black music is just black music.  Didn't you know that..?  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/10 at 10:49 pm

Hey, only white music can be identified by genre.  Black music is just black music.  Didn't you know that..?  :P

You are going to meet Sun Ra in hell, and he is going to BEAT ON YO' CRACKA AZZ for all eternity!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vtffani.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...