inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dr. Demento will be going Internet Only next week

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/08/10 at 2:37 pm

After close to 40 years on the air, the good Doctor is ending his radio broadcasts and shifting to strictly Internet radio. FM radio is now officially useless in my opinion.

Dr. Demento's Official Website

Subject: Re: Dr. Demento will be going Internet Only next week

Written By: Frank on 06/08/10 at 4:16 pm

I used to listen to Dr. Demento some 30 years ago. He was a pioneer there. People like "Weird Al" owe a lot to him (and perhaps a little vice-versa as well)

Written By: larry on 06/09/10 at 2:11 pm

Yeah, this stinks.  I listened to him for about 5 years, after I found out you could listen online.  I always wanted to listen before that, but didn't know how and there wasn't a station around me who played him.  I always found a station that streamed him, even up until now, long after he started disallowing it.  I always enjoyed the show, and hoped to get on it sometime, but hadn't recorded anything yet because of putting it off and trying to figure out copyright stuff, not that it would've given my songs much exposure in the years I listened to him, especially more recently.  Anyway, it was always great to take 2 hours every week to get demented, stinks not having that now.  I don't want to go onto Paypal because of stuff I've heard about it, so I won't listen online.  I'll instead listen to my own Demento archives (I've got many tapes from the years I've listened to the show), and that'll be cool.  Be senselessly joyful, and try to stay demented!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/09/10 at 2:26 pm

I'm sure many people around here know that I am a BIG fan of Dr. Demento and have been for decades. I first heard him back in the early 70s. I have listened to him on and off because I always had trouble finding stations. In the early 90s, I recorded about a year's worth of shows on cassette (still have all those tapes). I also joined the Demento Society and have the first 10 issues of the Basement Tapes (not to mention my Dr. D. tee shirt and other goodies).

I stopped listening to him because it was on late on Sunday nights and I just didn't want to stay up that late. (Yeah, you can blame it on old age. lol). Going on-line will be GREAT for me since I spend most of my day on-line anyway.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/09/10 at 10:01 pm

The man who introduced the world to Weird Al Yankovic, no longer on the air.

It took 40 years, but video finally killed the radio star.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/10 at 8:44 pm

I wouldn't write off FM so fast.  Dr. Demento can go Internet-only because he can get permission to podcast any novelty record he wants -- which is a good thing.  The problem is the rules of Internet broadcasting are completely corporate.  Radio broadcasting doesn't have such difficulties.  If an artist sends me a CD or a CD-R, I can broadcast it without obtaining permission from the publishers or paying royalties.  You can broadcast over the Internet the same way, however, your bandwidth is quite limited unless you have big bucks backing you. 

I'm going to be podcasting pretty soon.  I know enough artists and publishers to make a podcast possible.  However, I won't have the same freedom I have with FM.

Written By: EthanM on 07/12/10 at 7:17 pm

What kind of podcast will you be doing, Max?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/10 at 8:56 pm

What kind of podcast will you be doing, Max?

Contemporary classical, experimental, and electronic music.  If I manage to get it done, I'll let everybody know!

Written By: Neo-Vista on 07/09/11 at 10:22 pm

Wow, I didn't know he was still on the air. The last time I heard him was probably 15 years ago. Thanks for the link though!

Check for new replies or respond here...