inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Toys/Items You Had That Were Made Popular By A TV Show

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/20/10 at 2:13 pm

It was in the thread where people were talking about Family Affair and Buffy with her Mrs. Beasley doll and I remembered how the Mrs. Beasley doll because popular because of the show. Then I started to wonder about other toys/items that gained popularity because of television. Some of mine:

I'm not too sure how many people here remember the show Winky Dink and Me. They sold these kits-it was a screen that you put over your t.v. and you can draw on it (rather than drawing on the actually t.v. set.  :D ;D ;D ). I had the kit but unfortunately, my screen didn't stay on so I couldn't use it.  :\'( :\'( :\'(

Then of course there were all the lunch boxes. I'm not too sure which shows we had. I THINK either me or one of my sisters had The Partridge Family-plus several other t.v. shows.

I also had records of the Partridge Family & of the Archies (who didn't have a copy of Sugar, Sugar-especially when it came on a cereal box).

I think we had the Partridge Family game (yeah, not only was the Partridge Family one of my favorite shows-I think it was also one or two of my sisters favorites. So, usually my older sister got the stuff and I got a rock.  :\'( ) 

As an adult, I was in a store with a friend. We both saw this stuffed cat and the two of us at the same time said, "It's Boo-Boo Kitty." I thought it was funny that my friend actually knew about Boo-Boo Kitty. For all of you who do not-it comes from Laverne & Shirley. Of course the cat wasn't in any way connected to the show but it looked just like the one on the show. So, naturally, I had to buy it.  :D ;D ;D ;D And yes, I still call it "Boo-Boo Kitty."  ;D ;D ;D

I'm sure I will think of more later.

Who's next?

Cat

Subject: Re: Toys/Items You Had That Were Made Popular By A TV Show

Written By: Davester on 06/20/10 at 5:39 pm

I had some Six Million Dollar Man stuff - two of the dolls large size action figures (Steve Austin and Maskatron)

I had some SWAT stuff - plastic bullhorn, M-16 rifle, handcuffs, cap pistol, &etc...

I remember having a pair of those Mork from Ork suspenders, the rainbow colored ones.  Turns out they were too small for me.  Got the wrong size...

Got a Fonzie action figure for my 7th birthday.  You pressed a button in his back and he gave a double thumbs-up! (it meant I was double cool..!)

I had some Dukes of Hazzard Hot Wheels (General Lee, police cars, Boss Hogs open top Caddy...)

Some Buck Rogers action figures...

A lot of Battlestar Galactica stuff...

A Muppet Show 8-track tape...

All I can think of now...

Oh yeah, a pair of Star Trek walkie talkies "Beam me up, Scotty, this planet sucks!" (cool!) and a flashlight thing that looked like one of their phasers...

Written By: gibbo on 06/20/10 at 5:48 pm

I'm now feeling a tad deprived. I had nothing at all like those wonderful aforementioned items :-[    If I wanted to play with action figures...I used Mum's pegs...

Written By: Davester on 06/20/10 at 5:52 pm

I was a spoiled brat, Gib...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/20/10 at 7:02 pm

Way too many to mention.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/21/10 at 1:34 am

Star Wars everything!

Written By: Frank on 06/21/10 at 1:54 am

Partridge family records, trading cards

Steve Austin ( Six million dollar man) action figure

Evel Knievel motorcycle, ramp and other accessories.

Written By: whistledog on 06/21/10 at 8:48 am

Dukes of Hazzard
♦ Hot Wheel Car set:  General Lee, Daisy's Dixie Jeep, Roscoe's Police Car, Bos Hogg's Cadillac and Uncle Jesse's Truck
♦ Mini plastic wind-up toy car
♦ Bedsheet set

A-Team
♦ Curtains on my bedroom window

Star Wars: The Ewoks / The Droids
♦ One of those read-a-long books with the 45 in the back based on both The Droids and The Ewoks cartoon series.

Also had various Transformers, Go-Bots and He-Man and the Masters of the Universe toys and playsets.

Written By: lola669 on 06/21/10 at 10:16 am

My sister has Mrs. Beasley, I hated that doll.  ;D

I had the Bionic Woman doll and her Bionic Beauty Salon.

I had the Wonder Woman and the Charlie's Angels doll.

I also had the Cher doll with lots of outfits and the Donny & Marie dolls.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/10 at 12:46 am

My sister has Mrs. Beasley, I hated that doll.   ;D

I had the Bionic Woman doll and her Bionic Beauty Salon.

I had the Wonder Woman and the Charlie's Angels doll.

I also had the Cher doll with lots of outfits and the Donny & Marie dolls.

Wow, some of that stuff would fetch a fair price on eBay, at least in new/good condition!
8)

Written By: lola669 on 06/23/10 at 10:25 am

Wow, some of that stuff would fetch a fair price on eBay, at least in new/good condition!
8)

I know!!  One doll I had (not based on a TV show) was call Bythe, they start out at $1,500 on eBay.  Too bad I played with her and cut her hair.  ;D

Written By: slacker on 06/23/10 at 10:47 am

I had the following...
Snoopy & The Red Barron Banners (Peanuts)
Banana Splits Poster (Banana Splits)
Klingon Ship model (Star Trek)
Pull String Talking Herman Munster (The Munsters)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/23/10 at 1:03 pm

I know!!  One doll I had (not based on a TV show) was call Bythe, they start out at $1,500 on eBay.  Too bad I played with her and cut her hair.   ;D

Oh man, Bythe dolls do go for boocoo bucks. My sister sells dolls for a living and she always tells me if I find Bythe dolls at yard sales/auctions to scarf them up.

Cat

Written By: Midas on 06/23/10 at 1:36 pm

Evel Knievel motorcycle, ramp and other accessories.

I had that too!

Sesame Street records when I was a kid, including the songs "I Love Trash" and "Rubber Duckie".

I had a "Bartman" T-shirt in high school  :D

My brother had more of the items made popular by TV shows:

- He-Man action figures, storybook record, Castle Grayskull

- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures, that pizza launcher vehicle

- Dukes of Hazzard Big-Wheel bike, General Lee car & ramp...he got that big wheel bike at age 3 and was super-excited.  He went outside right away and rode it with his Oscar the Grouch knitted winter hat on.  His birthday's in June :D

Written By: coqueta83 on 06/23/10 at 7:39 pm

JEM and the Holograms and Misfits dolls.

Rainbow Brite, Care Bears, and Popples.

Smurfs lunchbox.

Some Snoopy stuff (stuffed animals and records).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/10 at 8:52 pm

I had the following...
Snoopy & The Red Barron Banners (Peanuts)
Banana Splits Poster (Banana Splits)
Klingon Ship model (Star Trek)
Pull String Talking Herman Munster (The Munsters)

As with Lola's post.  If you have this stuff in good condition, it might be quite valuable.  Some rich stoner would be happy to part with $300 for a talking Herman Munster, so long as it still talked!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/frankie.gif

I gave most of my Star Wars figures to my little brother, I mean he was helping himself already when I told him he could just have them.  I taught Stu how to set fire to action figures safely.  See, I figured he was going to do it anyway, so he should know how to do it without harming himself or anything else.  So we safely set fire to many of those Star Wars figures! 

This is another reason I'm not a dad....
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

But to think if I kept that C3PO from 1977 in its box, I would have been able to get $500 for it in 1997!  Who knew?  That early stuff from Kenner was junk.  Nobody who bought or had bought for them any of that plastic crap even knew what a collector's market was or how it worked!

This worked inversely for my friend Ronnie who collected all this total crap in the '90s, such as Insane Clown Posse dolls.  He might have two or three of the same set.  It was the same thing with Marilyn Manson.  My only question in 1994 was, "Who is this doojbag and why do they keep sending me promo merchandise."  I threw it in the garbage.  However, most people had the inside word that Marilyn Manson was going to get shoved in the public's face, so they saved the dolls and whatnot figuring it would be worth something. 

Is it?
:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/10 at 12:06 pm

As with Lola's post.  If you have this stuff in good condition, it might be quite valuable.  Some rich stoner would be happy to part with $300 for a talking Herman Munster, so long as it still talked!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/frankie.gif

I gave most of my Star Wars figures to my little brother, I mean he was helping himself already when I told him he could just have them.  I taught Stu how to set fire to action figures safely.  See, I figured he was going to do it anyway, so he should know how to do it without harming himself or anything else.  So we safely set fire to many of those Star Wars figures! 

This is another reason I'm not a dad....
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/diablotin.gif

But to think if I kept that C3PO from 1977 in its box, I would have been able to get $500 for it in 1997!  Who knew?  That early stuff from Kenner was junk.  Nobody who bought or had bought for them any of that plastic crap even knew what a collector's market was or how it worked!

This worked inversely for my friend Ronnie who collected all this total crap in the '90s, such as Insane Clown Posse dolls.  He might have two or three of the same set.  It was the same thing with Marilyn Manson.  My only question in 1994 was, "Who is this doojbag and why do they keep sending me promo merchandise."  I threw it in the garbage.  However, most people had the inside word that Marilyn Manson was going to get shoved in the public's face, so they saved the dolls and whatnot figuring it would be worth something. 

Is it?
:D

Go out and buy a bunch of crap today-set it aside for 20 years or more and then sell it all. You will be rich.  ;) :D

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/10 at 7:33 pm

Go out and buy a bunch of crap today-set it aside for 20 years or more and then sell it all. You will be rich.  ;) :D

Cat

You're a coin collector, so you remember the big mistake everybody made with the bicentennial quarter: They saved them!  I know run into people trying to collect all the state quarters.  I'm like, uh, yeah, you can have my Delaware!  Nothing for trade, just my sympathy.
:-\\

Do kids even really play with toys anymore, or is it all screen time from the word go?
???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/25/10 at 11:21 am

You're a coin collector, so you remember the big mistake everybody made with the bicentennial quarter: They saved them!  I know run into people trying to collect all the state quarters.  I'm like, uh, yeah, you can have my Delaware!  Nothing for trade, just my sympathy.
:-\\

Do kids even really play with toys anymore, or is it all screen time from the word go?
???

I do have a bunch of Bicentennials as well as Statheood quarters. Nothing wrong with saving them. BTW, a Bicentennial in MS63 condition is worth $1 & in MS65 is worth $6. A Delaware in AU50 is worth 50 cents, in MS63 is worth $1.25 & in MS65 is worth $3.  ;)

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...