inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Henk's Covers Corner - #72. What's A Matter Baby

Written By: Henk on 06/27/10 at 8:51 am

Well, it's not really a corner... ::) but it is all about covers. I'll just be posting one a week (with or without comment).
The good, the bad, the popular, the obscure, the new, the old...any cover. I hope you enjoy.

Green Door

Original version by: Jim Lowe & the High Fives
Year: 1956
Chart positions: US #1, UK #8

Cover version by: Shakin' Stevens
Year: 1981
Chart positions: UK #1, NL #5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wel1liTYHY0&NR=1

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner

Written By: whistledog on 06/27/10 at 11:20 am

I have the 12" single of Shaky's version, as well as the UK, US and Canadian versions of the Album it is on, as well as the UK and North American versions of his 1984 Greatest Hits album that it is also on, and 2 of his further GH collections on CD.  In total, I have 5 Shaky albums that this is on LOL

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/27/10 at 2:31 pm

Cool idea for a thread, Henk. May I make a suggestion? Why not include the original (if you can) so people can compare the original to the cover?

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/10 at 2:46 pm

Let me know when you choose to do Yesterday by The Beatles.

Written By: Henk on 06/27/10 at 4:26 pm

Cool idea for a thread, Henk. May I make a suggestion? Why not include the original (if you can) so people can compare the original to the cover?

Cat

I have thought about doing that, but I'm not sure I can find a video for the original version in all cases. That's why I decided against it.
But maybe I need to reconsider.

Let me know when you choose to do Yesterday by The Beatles.

I didn't know that was a cover, Philip. ;)

Written By: gibbo on 06/27/10 at 6:15 pm

I'm not certain that I have ever heard the original...but I knew it was a remake of an older song. I quite liked Shakin' Stevens version at the time... :)

Nice thread Henk... :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/10 at 1:16 am

I didn't know that was a cover, Philip. ;)
Yesterday is reputed to be the most covered song with more than 3,000 recorded cover versions.

Written By: Paul on 06/28/10 at 1:39 am

Although 'Green Door' did indeed hit #1 in Britain in 1981, it also topped the lists 24 years earlier in a version by high-kickin' Frankie Vaughan...

Shaky raided the back catalogues of various artists many times in his career, from the sublime ('It's Raining' - Irma Thomas) to the ridiculous ('This Ole House' - Rosemary Clooney)...

Written By: Henk on 06/28/10 at 3:28 pm

Although 'Green Door' did indeed hit #1 in Britain in 1981, it also topped the lists 24 years earlier in a version by high-kickin' Frankie Vaughan...

I know there are other cover versions. I just picked one that I know and like, rather randomly.

Shaky raided the back catalogues of various artists many times in his career, from the sublime ('It's Raining' - Irma Thomas) to the ridiculous ('This Ole House' - Rosemary Clooney)...

What's wrong with Shaky's Ole House?  ???

Written By: Paul on 06/28/10 at 3:36 pm

What's wrong with Shaky's Ole House?  ???

Just a rather odd choice of cover for anyone, let alone Shaky...

That and the fact that it grates on me, probably due to being played to death back in the day...

Written By: Henk on 07/03/10 at 3:05 am

OK, so rather than going through the cover versions database rather haphazardly, I decided to a more structural approach. How's about somewhat alphabetically? ::) Which means we (or rather, I) start with letter A.

Agadoo

Yes, one of the most annoying songs ever to be recorded (according to many Brits).
Originally recorded in French, but I'll stick to the English version here.
The first to record an English version (at least, to my knowledge) were these lot:

Artist: Saragossa Band
Chart positions: NL #33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK59_rj_zck

And three years later, it was time for...

Artist: Black Lace
Year: 1984
Chart positions: UK #2

(..and you thought THEY were bad!  ;D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/10 at 3:16 am

OK, so rather than going through the cover versions database rather haphazardly, I decided to a more structural approach. How's about somewhat alphabetically? ::) Which means we (or rather, I) start with letter A.

Agadoo

Yes, one of the most annoying songs ever to be recorded (according to many Brits).
Originally recorded in French, but I'll stick to the English version here.
The first to record an English version (at least, to my knowledge) were these lot:

Artist: Saragossa Band
Chart positions: NL #33

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK59_rj_zck

And three years later, it was time for...

Artist: Black Lace
Chart positions: UK #2

(..and you thought THEY were bad!  ;D)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Written By: Henk on 07/03/10 at 3:23 am

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Annoying, what? ;D :D ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/10 at 3:25 am

Annoying, what? ;D :D ;)
This song has been (or was) played continuously at parties at it's height and seemed to drag on for years to come.

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/10 at 8:53 am

The original French version of Agadou was I believe the 1974 version by Quebec born Patrick Zabe.

I like the Black Lace version because it's so cheesy.  Agadoo was not popular in Canadian mainstream in any version, but it did inspire a popular TV commercial for the Canadian version of Kellogg's Mini-Wheats ...

I'd post a clip of the commercial, but my PS3 won't let me paste or type the link.

Written By: Paul on 07/04/10 at 3:57 pm

Pushing pineapples and shaking trees was the thing!  :D

One of those songs which inexplicably 'clicked', not sure why or how! Normally, continental songs like this hit the British psyche after the summer break, but Black Lace's effort was charting before people packed their buckets and spades!

And by hell, we couldn't get rid of it! It hung around like a bad smell for 30 long weeks, one of the longest-running charters of 1984!

Of course, no self-respecting mobile DJ (yes, ahem! myself included!) couldn't be without it, which probably assisted the sales...

Written By: Henk on 07/10/10 at 12:19 am

Black Lace never made a dent in Dutch charts, unlike the next artist. They had three Top 40 hits, and this was the biggest of the three:

Big In Japan

Artist: Alphaville
Chart positions: US #66, UK #8, NL #2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98qdFQF7sw

The (rather obscure) cover version is by another German band.
Granted, they took some liberties with the lyrics, but it's still a cover version IMO.

Artist: Guano Apes
Year: 2000
Chart positions: US/UK/NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEfXikefBIg

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #3. Big In Japan

Written By: Frank on 07/10/10 at 12:22 pm

I liked the song "Big in Japan" from Alphaville, a good hit from the early 80s. I REALLY liekd Forever young by them, one of my favorite songs from the whole decade.

Written By: nally on 07/10/10 at 12:23 pm

I liked the song "Big in Japan" from Alphaville, a good hit from the early 80s. I REALLY liekd Forever young by them, one of my favorite songs from the whole decade.

Those are the only two songs I know of theirs, and they're both really good.

Written By: gibbo on 07/10/10 at 8:12 pm

Never heard of the band or the song... :-\\ 

Written By: Henk on 07/11/10 at 12:43 am

Never heard of the band or the song... :-\\ 

Which band: Alphaville or Guano Apes? Probably both.
It's a pity Alphaville never made it in Australia. 'Big In Japan' and 'Forever Young' are considered something of a classic over here.

Guano Apes only have one international hit to boast: 'Open Your Eyes' made #24 in US Mainstream Rock charts, and #18 in Dutch Top 40.

Those are the only two songs I know of theirs, and they're both really good.

Their third hit single was 'Sounds Like A Melody', which also made Top 10 in Holland. (Unlike 'Forever Young', which got stuck at #18)

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/10 at 9:42 am

Cover won't load for me.  Sony has blocked it from my country. 

I do like the Alphaville original.  It was also a minor hit in Canada reaching #67
I have the 'Forever Young' album on cassette, CD and Vinyl.  I love the album version of it, opening with a gong

Written By: Paul on 07/11/10 at 11:05 am

Unlike the normal route with Euro hits, 'Big In Japan' really sold in Britain on the back of blanket airplay by a pirate radio station of the time...Laser 558

Although primarily a US venture, Laser was placed conveniently placed in the North Sea and fed most of Britain and northwest Europe with a slew of tracks which, although popular in Europe, would normally have been ignored by the BBC stations...this was but one of them...

Written By: Henk on 07/17/10 at 11:00 am

Caravan Of Love

Original Artists: Isley Jasper Isley
Year: 1985
Chart positions: US #51, UK dnc, NL #21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uuuh4ysLagY

Cover Artists: Housemartins
Year: 1986
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #1, NL #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOjG91LX8Wg

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #4. Caravan Of Love

Written By: gibbo on 07/17/10 at 4:13 pm

This is a tough choice. I don't recall the song (so I assume ut did not appeal to me at that time...or I never heard it maybe.. :-\\). I liked Isley Jasper Isley's voice quality more...but found myself drawn into The Housemartin's version more....

Nice song (both versions)... :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/10 at 10:29 pm

Both versions are great, but I am more familiar with The Housemartins version.  It never became a hit in this part of world, but it was released as a single here and was promoted with the video getting a fair amount of play.

I proudly own the 45 8)

It helped push The Housemartins album 'London 0 Hull 4' to peak at #50 here, but that song I do believe was a single only release

Written By: Henk on 07/18/10 at 12:55 am

This is a tough choice.

I agree.

I don't recall the song (so I assume ut did not appeal to me at that time...or I never heard it maybe.. :-\\). I liked Isley Jasper Isley's voice quality more...but found myself drawn into The Housemartin's version more....

Nice song (both versions)... :)

Both versions are great, but I am more familiar with The Housemartins version.  It never became a hit in this part of world, but it was released as a single here and was promoted with the video getting a fair amount of play.

I proudly own the 45 8)

It helped push The Housemartins album 'London 0 Hull 4' to peak at #50 here, but that song I do believe was a single only release

I don't really recall the IJI version, so I assume it didn't get heavy airplay at the time. Not as much as the Housemartins got a year later, anyway.

What kinda ruins the Housemartins version for me is the goofy video.

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/10 at 9:16 am

I agree.

I don't really recall the IJI version, so I assume it didn't get heavy airplay at the time. Not as much as the Housemartins got a year later, anyway.

What kinda ruins the Housemartins version for me is the goofy video.

The video was kind of goofy, but all their videos were.  I wonder if Norman Cook looks back on those and is like "What the hell was I thinking?" LOL

It was a shame the Housemartins never had single success in North America.  The first related success they had on the single charts here in Canada was 'Song For Whoever' by The Beautiful South in 1990.
In the States, I don't think it was until Fatboy Slim with Rockafeller Skank.

Written By: Paul on 07/19/10 at 1:54 pm

Oh dear...not a vintage one for me this, in whatever version!  :-\\

The Isley Jasper Isley original was, to put it mildly, tedious and The Housemartins' effort was doubly worse... :P

Written By: Henk on 07/19/10 at 2:01 pm

Oh dear...not a vintage one for me this, in whatever version!  :-\\

The Isley Jasper Isley original was, to put it mildly, tedious and The Housemartins' effort was doubly worse... :P

Well, you get some karma anyway. ;)

Written By: Henk on 07/24/10 at 12:56 am

Time for a new one...#5 in the series.

Dust In The Wind

Original artist: Kansas
Year: 1977
Chart positions: US #6, UK dnc, NL #19

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPXLCnYm4z8

Cover by: Conspiracy
Year: 1992
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #13 (Dance Top 30)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQupd2R_COA

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #5. Dust In The Wind

Written By: whistledog on 07/24/10 at 5:53 pm

I still like the original Kansas better, but that Conspiracy version wasn't bad.

Written By: Frank on 07/24/10 at 6:01 pm

Dust in the wind (By Kansas) was one of my favorite songs of that year 1977 and a favorite for those at parties who brought an acoustic guitar., and campfires, picnics.

I Haven't heard the cover version, will give it a go.

Written By: gibbo on 07/24/10 at 8:33 pm

Sorry...but for me... the remake killed the song. The Kansas original is too iconic a song to play with in this manner. The acoustic guitar (and violin) was integral to that song as was the lead singers voice tones. It all came together and worked so well (and still does). The remake is filled with those 90's synthesizers and heavy (but fake) drum machine beats. Honestly...I couldn't watch beyond the middle of that clip. The song became very bland and ordinary...

Kansas were a greatly underrated band. Carry On Wayward Son was also a great song of theirs...

Written By: Henk on 07/25/10 at 1:01 am

I still like the original Kansas better, but that Conspiracy version wasn't bad.

I've been trying to find some information on Conspiracy, but came up empty. I can't even tell you what country he's from (Spain? France? :-\\), and judging by his vocal skills he's probably more of a producer than a singer. But these are just guesses.

Dust in the wind (By Kansas) was one of my favorite songs of that year 1977 and a favorite for those at parties who brought an acoustic guitar., and campfires, picnics.

I Haven't heard the cover version, will give it a go.

You refrain from comment...? ::)

Sorry...but for me... the remake killed the song. The Kansas original is too iconic a song to play with in this manner. The acoustic guitar (and violin) was integral to that song as was the lead singers voice tones. It all came together and worked so well (and still does). The remake is filled with those 90's synthesizers and heavy (but fake) drum machine beats. Honestly...I couldn't watch beyond the middle of that clip. The song became very bland and ordinary...

Kansas were a greatly underrated band. Carry On Wayward Son was also a great song of theirs...

There are other cover versions of the song that stick to the original more (by German band Scorpions, for instance). I picked this one because I was sure it would spark some controversy. ;)

Written By: Frank on 07/25/10 at 9:30 am

You refrain from comment...? ::)

I have to agree with gibbo (I've been doing that so much this year, it scares me  ;D) Kansas's version had a peaceful soothing feeling to it.

Written By: Paul on 07/27/10 at 5:45 am

Put me down as another 'no' on this remake...

A lot of these remakes seem to follow a pattern...take a fairly half-decent rock/pop number of years gone by and slap a synth/drum track on it...

Sometimes it works, but on this occasion...

Written By: Henk on 07/31/10 at 1:50 pm

Little later than usual, but here's #6. Probably less controversial, this one. ;)

Easy

Original artist: Commodores
Chart positions: US #4, UK #9, NL #49

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIRGNzVIz6Y

Cover by: Faith No More
Chart positions: US #58, UK #3, NL #11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1WAMNIunKc

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #6. (I'm) Easy

Written By: Henk on 08/02/10 at 2:26 pm

* BUMP *

Written By: Paul on 08/02/10 at 4:03 pm

Fair-to-middling cover of a fair-to-middling original...

The only real surprise here was why the good folk of Britain saw fit to make this FNM's biggest ever hit!

While virtually ignoring the powerful 'Epic' in the process... ???

Written By: Henk on 08/02/10 at 4:33 pm

The only real surprise here was why the good folk of Britain saw fit to make this FNM's biggest ever hit!

While virtually ignoring the powerful 'Epic' in the process... ???

Same happened in Holland! Epic only made it to 47 over here. :(

Written By: gibbo on 08/02/10 at 6:07 pm

I alwways liked Lionel Richie's vocals...so the original is the one for me. I have never liked Faith No More...

Written By: Henk on 08/08/10 at 1:26 am

I'm sure people will love this next cover... ::) #7. Feel The Need (In Me)

Feel The Need (In Me)

Original artists: Detroit Emeralds
Year: 1973
Chart positions: US #90, UK #4, NL #12

(Sadly, no complete video available)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ODvKw4llY

Cover by: Forrest
Year: 1983
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #17, NL #24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYCtCHTCPo

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #7. Feel The Need (In Me)

Written By: whistledog on 08/09/10 at 6:25 am

Shakin' Stevens also had a hit with 'Feel the Need in Me', the one I like best.  Was never a fan of the original, but Forrest's version is also good.

Written By: Paul on 08/09/10 at 9:02 am

Shakin' Stevens also had a hit with 'Feel the Need in Me', the one I like best.

Bleh! He was getting desperate at this point!  :P

Amazingly, before Shaky & the hairy monster got a hold of it, it was covered by the Detroit Emeralds again!

Their re-recorded version (retitled 'Feel The Need'), for no apparent reason, was a fair sized British hit in 1977...

There's not a great deal of difference between the two, apart from the remake being slightly faster in tempo...

Written By: whistledog on 08/10/10 at 7:05 pm

Bleh! He was getting desperate at this point!  :P

He was desparate from the get go lol.  Almost everything he did was a cover.  It was shocking when 'Oh Julie', one of the few songs he did write,  became a US Top 40 hit for Barry Manilow

Written By: Henk on 08/20/10 at 5:04 am

Nobody seemed  to have noticed that I haven't been posting here in nearly two weeks. Makes me wonder... :-\\

Anyway - going away for a two weeks vacation now.

Written By: whistledog on 08/20/10 at 9:50 am

We want more covers.  It's interesting, as some I didn't know of :)

Written By: gibbo on 08/20/10 at 4:57 pm

I'm sure people will love this next cover... ::) #7. Feel The Need (In Me)

Feel The Need (In Me)

Original artists: Detroit Emeralds
Chart positions: US #90, UK #4, NL #12

(Sadly, no complete video available)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30ODvKw4llY

Cover by: Forrest
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #17, NL #24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trYCtCHTCPo

Never heard this song before ...but think I preferred the Forrest version... :-\\

Written By: Henk on 09/11/10 at 2:03 am

Get It On (Bang A Gong)

Original artist: T. Rex
Year: 1971
Chart positions: US #10, UK #1, NL #15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XspsJACj8WY

Cover by: Power Station
Chart positions: US #9, UK #22, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieOwL1UB1V4

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #8. Get It On (Bang A Gong)

Written By: whistledog on 09/11/10 at 3:59 pm

Bolan's version is great, and a well loved classic, but Palmer's version raised the bar.  It's in my Top 10 of best cover songs ever!

Written By: nally on 09/11/10 at 4:31 pm

Now this is a cover that I am familiar worth. Both it and the original are great. O0

Written By: Frank on 09/11/10 at 4:32 pm

I like T-Rex's version better. Brings back memories.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/14/10 at 2:00 pm

Can I add just one, pretty please?! :D  A Henk thread just isn't complete without

Cover: Route 66 - Depeche Mode (1987)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqrKxBhKdFM

Original: Route 66 - Nat King Cole (1946)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCYApJtsyd0

I won't hijack your thread again, I promise!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/14/10 at 9:56 pm

Get It On (Bang A Gong)

What, no disco?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJFPYPke0e4
  - Witch Queen, Bang a Gong, 12" vinyl, 1978

Fine, how about some industrial rock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K-imSalt6w
  - Ministry (and Co-Conspirators), Bang a Gong, from Cover Up 2008

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/10 at 2:49 pm

What, no disco?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJFPYPke0e4
  - Witch Queen, Bang a Gong, 12" vinyl, 1978

Fine, how about some industrial rock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K-imSalt6w
  - Ministry (and Co-Conspirators), Bang a Gong, from Cover Up 2008

Didn't think anyone knew about Witch Queen.  That was a Canadian project helmed by the great Gino Soccio.  Was not a BIG mainstream hit (despite still charting in Canada), but it was a Top 10 Disco hit across North America.  Not the best version, but as it is Canadian, I can't really speak negative about it unless Geddy Lee or Rush were somehow involved LOL

Written By: Paul on 09/15/10 at 3:03 pm

'Get It On' is always (and ever more will be) superior in its T.Rex rendition...

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/16/10 at 10:40 pm

Didn't think anyone knew about Witch Queen.  That was a Canadian project helmed by the great Gino Soccio.  Was not a BIG mainstream hit (despite still charting in Canada), but it was a Top 10 Disco hit across North America.  Not the best version, but as it is Canadian, I can't really speak negative about it unless Geddy Lee or Rush were somehow involved LOL

Y'know, if you'd never heard the original, never had any idea it wasn't supposed to be a disco song, it's actually pretty damn good.  Well, for disco.  But as disco, it's pretty good.

Written By: gibbo on 09/16/10 at 10:55 pm

'Get It On' is always (and ever more will be) superior in its T.Rex rendition...

I agree with this comment.

Written By: Henk on 09/17/10 at 9:53 am

A tad bit early, but moving on to letter H.

Heart And Soul

Original artist: Exile
Chart positions: US #102, UK dnc, NL #30

(Sorry, no video available - audio only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtqveZAJspc

Cover by: Huey Lewis & The News
Chart positions: US #8, UK #61, NL #42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TdaXhpjHws&ob=av2e

Written By: Frank on 09/17/10 at 10:17 am

A tad bit early, but moving on to letter H.

Heart And Soul

Original artist: Exile
Chart positions: US #102, UK dnc, NL #30

(Sorry, no video available - audio only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtqveZAJspc

Cover by: Huey Lewis & The News
Chart positions: US #8, UK #61, NL #42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TdaXhpjHws&ob=av2e

I never heard (nor heard of) the original before.

Written By: Henk on 09/17/10 at 10:27 am

I never heard (nor heard of) the original before.

A lot of people are surprised to find out the Huey Lewis version is actually a cover, so you're not alone in this.

Exile, of course, are probably best known for "Kiss You All Over" (1978). After "Heart And Soul" they drastically changed course, and are now a country band.

Written By: Frank on 09/17/10 at 10:32 am

A lot of people are surprised to find out the Huey Lewis version is actually a cover, so you're not alone in this.

Exile, of course, are probably best known for "Kiss You All Over" (1978). After "Heart And Soul" they drastically changed course, and are now a country band.

"Kiss you all over" was quite popular back in late 1978. I did hear Exile became a country band in the 80s. I don't listen to country. 

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #9. Heart And Soul

Written By: nally on 09/17/10 at 10:39 am

I am another one of those people.

A song that I know vaguely, but have at least heard of.

Written By: whistledog on 09/17/10 at 10:56 am

I knew it was a cover, but only found that out a few years ago.  Both are good, but Huey's version was a big part of my youth.

Written By: gibbo on 09/17/10 at 8:47 pm

I only remember Huey Lewis' version of the song....so, I feel I identify with their sound with that spong. However, it appears pretty much a direct musical copy (except shortened).  Exiles original version was just as good...

Written By: Paul on 09/23/10 at 3:32 pm

Exile's version goes on a bit (12 inch version?), but it's competent enough...still lacks something compared to the mighty Huey...

A Chapman/Chinn song, both songwriting stalwarts of Britain's Glam Rock scene, who had this knack of recycling previously unsuccessful songs of theirs - apart from this, there's also 'Kitty' (which became 'Mickey') and 'Living Next Door To Alice'...

Written By: Henk on 09/24/10 at 1:45 pm

Exile's version goes on a bit (12 inch version?), but it's competent enough...still lacks something compared to the mighty Huey...

As far as I know, this is the single version. Maybe that's why it failed to chart, or maybe it was just bad timing.

A Chapman/Chinn song, both songwriting stalwarts of Britain's Glam Rock scene, who had this knack of recycling previously unsuccessful songs of theirs - apart from this, there's also 'Kitty' (which became 'Mickey') and 'Living Next Door To Alice'...

Let's not go there. ;)

Written By: Paul on 09/24/10 at 3:59 pm

Let's not go there. ;)

What? With 'Alice'?

Ah! But its not the 'naughty' remake I'm referring to...Smokie's version was itself a cover, the original was by a group called New World...

Written By: Henk on 09/25/10 at 4:13 am

Anyway... another week gone by, moving on to letter I.

Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

Original artist: The Four Lads
Year: 1953
Chart positions: US #10, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vankaSlfSr0

Cover by: They Might Be Giants
Year: 1990
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #61, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeQ-wjDH4F4

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #10. Istanbul (Not Constantinople)

Written By: gibbo on 09/25/10 at 4:36 am

I really enjoyed both clips Henk. I liked the original a lot...it's a good tune based on clever word play. The 1990 clip is very well done with a heavy comedic spin (made me laugh).  However, I would prefer the original ... but only because I couldn't take the second clip too seriously. ;D

I keep hearing the melody line of "Puttin' On The Ritz" .... :-\\

Written By: Paul on 09/25/10 at 7:46 am

Very much a product of the 50s, this one...and I gather The Four Lads were among the first Canadians to achieve mainstream success in the international pop field (which should please Jason immensely!)

Like the first song that kicked off this thread, the British chart honours for 'Istanbul' originally went to Frankie Vaughan (who virtually covered anything that was put in front of him!)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/25/10 at 12:28 pm

You rock, Henk!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/25/10 at 12:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv-KcF3Rkv8&feature=related

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/25/10 at 1:10 pm

As a non-They Might Be Giants fan, I tried Istanbul (Not Constantinople) and liked it!

Written By: whistledog on 09/25/10 at 6:22 pm

Very much a product of the 50s, this one...and I gather The Four Lads were among the first Canadians to achieve mainstream success in the international pop field (which should please Jason immensely!)

They were yes.  Along with The Diamonds, they helped pave the way for more Canadians to make waves in the US.

Can't say as I know the cover, but it wasn't bad.  The original is a classic.  Not sure how popular it was here as Canadian Chart only dates back to 1965

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/25/10 at 6:23 pm

I always loved BOTH versions of this song. I have the latter on my TMBG Greatest Hits CD. (I just love TMBG.) Whenever anyone mentions the city of Istanbul, I ALWAYS start singing, "...not Constantinople."  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Cat

Written By: Frank on 09/25/10 at 6:56 pm

Another nice choice Henk, I like this song and I have heard other artists cover this ones. Their names escape me right now.

Written By: gibbo on 09/25/10 at 7:03 pm

Sunday morning here... and I wake up with Istanbul (not Constantinople) playing in my head! I think this one may have been set in my brain for a few days to come.... ;D

Written By: Henk on 09/26/10 at 12:51 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. :) This seems to be my most popular pick so far on this thread.

What amazes me most about the song is its length. I always thought the original version was short as it was, but TMBG crop it into less than 2 minutes LOL. ;D

FYI: Marcel Vanthilt, the host of the MTV show "120 minutes" (as seen in the video), is a big TMBG fan.

Written By: Henk on 09/27/10 at 2:35 pm

I found another version of "Istanbul" that I didn't know of...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvuH7ZtInso

Written By: Henk on 10/02/10 at 10:46 am

Enough of Istanbul! I wanna go back to Constantinople. :D ;D

New weekend, new cover. Letter J brings us to...

Jolene

Original artist: Dolly Parton
Year: 1974
Chart positions: US #60, UK #7, NL #54, CAN #84 (sp?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plvBR02wDs&feature=fvst

Cover by: Strawberry Switchblade
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #53, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxzoDWY1PM

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #11. Jolene

Written By: gibbo on 10/02/10 at 7:14 pm

Never really liked this song. Doesn't matter who sings it (even Olivia Newton John). I may just prefer the Strawberry Switchblade version the most though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/10 at 2:53 am

Enough of Istanbul! I wanna go back to Constantinople. :D ;D

New weekend, new cover. Letter J brings us to...

Jolene

Original artist: Dolly Parton
Chart positions: US #60, UK #7, NL #54, CAN #84 (sp?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1plvBR02wDs&feature=fvst

Cover by: Strawberry Switchblade
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #53, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxzoDWY1PM

All through my life I have only known one version of Jolene and that is by Dolly Parton, of which I do like.

I will hear the Strawberry Switchblade version when the right time arises.

Written By: Henk on 10/03/10 at 3:30 pm

All through my life I have only known one version of Jolene and that is by Dolly Parton, of which I do like.

I will hear the Strawberry Switchblade version when the right time arises.

There are at least 20 cover versions of 'Jolene', including versions by Sisters of Mercy and The White Stripes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/10 at 3:34 pm

Listening to Strawberry Switchblade right now and I find it refreshing.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/06/10 at 12:43 pm

I'm sure most people here knows that I'm not a big country fan but Jolene is one country song that I do like. This is the first time I heard Strawberry Switchblade which isn't bad but I do have to say that I like Dolly's version better.

Cat

Written By: Paul on 10/06/10 at 1:53 pm

One of those songs that I could live without...never really liked it in any version, sorry!

Written By: Henk on 10/07/10 at 3:11 pm

One of those songs that I could live without...never really liked it in any version, sorry!

If you don't like this, you'll probably be hating the song for letter K. ;D

Written By: Henk on 10/09/10 at 7:12 am

OK, as promised... letter K. And it just gets worse... :D

Kaw-Liga

Original artist: Hank Williams (Sr)
Year: 1952
Chart positions: US #23, UK n/a, NL n/a

(There were no official charts in UK or NL in 1952/1953)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FY7RWJAtJQ

Cover by: The Residents
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkFYCbMTA20

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #12. Kaw-Liga

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/10 at 9:04 pm

Didn't know anyone had done a cover of that one.  Never cared for the original, but that cover is great!

Written By: Henk on 10/10/10 at 1:04 am

Didn't know anyone had done a cover of that one.  Never cared for the original, but that cover is great!

According to the Second Hand Song cover database there are 24 cover versions of that song, all but one (Residents) by country music artists.

And FTR: they did indeed use the beat to Billie Jean.

Written By: Paul on 10/14/10 at 4:31 pm

(There were no official charts in UK or NL in 1952/1953)

There might not have been in Holland, but official charts were up and running in Britain at that time...

...trouble was, this record of Hank's didn't get a British release, so it couldn't have charted anyway!  :D

Not one of his better recordings, it must be said...the other side was better and more well-known (and covered to death as well!) - 'Your Cheatin' Heart'...

Written By: Henk on 10/16/10 at 4:08 am

There might not have been in Holland, but official charts were up and running in Britain at that time...

...trouble was, this record of Hank's didn't get a British release, so it couldn't have charted anyway!  :D

Ah! Mystery solved.

Not one of his better recordings, it must be said...the other side was better and more well-known (and covered to death as well!) - 'Your Cheatin' Heart'...

Does that mean you prefer the Residents' version...? ::)

Written By: Henk on 10/16/10 at 10:18 am

Here's the new one...letter L. I'm not sure which video is more disturbing...

Live Is Life

Original artist: Opus
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #6, NL #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jy4tMySp5o

Cover by: Laibach
Year: 1987

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbB1s7TZUQk

Written By: Paul on 10/18/10 at 5:35 am

Does that mean you prefer the Residents' version...? ::)

Apologies! I missed that!

Rather like 'Jolene', it's one of those songs that doesn't do much for me whoever performs it...even a so-called painfully hip and trendy outfit like The Residents...

Here's the new one...letter L. I'm not sure which video is more disturbing...

Austria's finest export since...EAV, possibly!

Now, this may surprise you...the Opus original is something of a guilty pleasure of mine! No, I don't understand either... :D

I've heard of Laibach and their legendary covers, but they should have left this alone...

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #13. Live Is Life

Written By: whistledog on 10/20/10 at 12:18 am

Live is Life, the Opus original, actually peaked at #32 in US.  I used to think that was strange, as I remember it being so popular, that placing just seemed out of place.  Then I got a hold of Canadian Charts, and saw it at #1 and thought "now that's more like it"

Didn't quite care for that cover.  Laibach were good, but not with that.

The Opus original is featured in the XBOX 360 game 'Lips Party Classics' and is quite a challenge to sing along with

Written By: Henk on 10/23/10 at 1:14 am

Hmmm, not a lot of responses this week. Any particular reason, I wonder? :-\\

FTR: I think the Laibach cover is brilliant! It just goes to show how easy it is to take a tune (any tune) and turn it into propaganda for whatever cause you're supporting. In this case, Laibach chose fascism/nazism - which doesn't mean that Laibach actually support this way of thinking. Quite the contrary! And to me, that's what makes it brilliant and disturbing at the same time.

And FYI: Laibach is the German word for Ljubljana, the capitol of Slovenia.

Written By: Henk on 10/23/10 at 9:16 am

Moving on to letter M.

Master And Servant

Original artist: Depeche Mode
Chart positions: US #87, UK #9, NL #53

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDRnSXOgMuI&ob=av2n

Cover by: Locust
Year: 1998
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL n/a

(I'm not sure this song was available as a single)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdHzsfz7alk

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #14. Master And Servant

Written By: nally on 10/23/10 at 1:41 pm

Finally...another song whose original I am familiar with...and enjoy. Cover? So-so, I guess.

Written By: whistledog on 10/24/10 at 7:22 pm

The original is fantastic.  That cover was not.  Reminds me of when that 90's band Frente! did a soft version of New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle.

I understand taking a song and making it your own, but doesn't work in this case.

Written By: Paul on 10/25/10 at 6:07 am

The original is fantastic.  That cover was not.

Thanks, Jason...my sentiments exactly!

Written By: nally on 10/25/10 at 11:10 am

The original is fantastic.  That cover was not.  Reminds me of when that 90's band Frente! did a soft version of New Order's Bizarre Love Triangle.

I understand taking a song and making it your own, but doesn't work in this case.

The same can be said about lots of good original songs.

Written By: Henk on 10/25/10 at 3:51 pm

Thanks, Jason...my sentiments exactly!

I'm not a fan of the cover version either. I posted it anyway, because it's totally opposite of what you'd expect anyone to do with the song.

Written By: Henk on 10/30/10 at 2:18 am

ANyway... time for letter N.

No More I Love You's

Original artist: The Lover Speaks
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #58, NL #43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdNOCj_35Po

Cover by: Annie Lennox
Year: 1995
Chart positions: US #23, UK #2, NL #23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrtcMMNxUG8

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #15. No More I Love You's

Written By: whistledog on 10/30/10 at 9:49 am

I had no idea this was a cover.  The original is not bad, but Annie's version will always be my fave.

Lover Speaks also never charted in Canada, but Annie's version hit #1, and was the 10th best selling single of 1995

Her accompanying album 'Medusa' also hit #1 and was the 6th best selling album of 1995.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/10 at 9:57 am

It is the same for me, I had no idea this was a cover too.

Of the two given version, I do prefer the Annie Lennox version.

Any other covers of this song?

Written By: Frank on 10/30/10 at 10:50 am

It is the same for me, I had no idea this was a cover too.

Of the two given version, I do prefer the Annie Lennox version.

Same for me, didn't know it was a cover.

Written By: nally on 10/30/10 at 11:08 am

Same for me, didn't know it was a cover.

Make that four of us!

And I, too, prefer the version as performed by Annie Lennox, which was a big hit in the States; and at the 38th Annual Grammy Awards (presented in February 1996), won the award for best female pop vocal performance.

Written By: Henk on 10/30/10 at 11:48 am

Well, whaddayaknow... I thought everyone was well aware the Annie Lennox version was a cover. :-\\

Personally, I prefer the original (by far), but I seem to be alone in this.

There's only one more version I know of, by The Flying Pickets (1996). Not availabe on YouTube, I think.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/10 at 11:50 am

Well, whaddayaknow... I thought everyone was well aware the Annie Lennox version was a cover. :-\\

There's only one more version I know of, by The Flying Pickets (1996). Not availabe on YouTube, I think.
Thanks, and I know where to here it on Spotify (if available)

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/10 at 11:52 am

Thanks, and I know where to here it on Spotify (if available)
Listening to it now, this is set in the reggae style.

There are other version too.

Written By: Henk on 10/30/10 at 12:08 pm

Maybe I should get Spotify too, now that LimeWire has been subject to a court order injunction. :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/30/10 at 12:09 pm

Maybe I should get Spotify too, now that LimeWire has been subject to a court order injunction. :(
I find it useful, it is free, but you only get 20 hours of free listening a month.

Written By: nally on 10/30/10 at 12:53 pm

Maybe the original (as well as the band) wasn't quite as popular in North America. :-\\ ???

Written By: Paul on 11/03/10 at 5:06 pm

I had no idea this was a cover.  The original is not bad, but Annie's version will always be my fave.

Her accompanying album 'Medusa' also hit #1 and was the 6th best selling album of 1995.

Well, 'Medusa' was an album of covers!

Not quite sure where she picked it up from, as it was hardly a fantastically massive hit in its original form!

I think the song's pretty ho-hum, truth be told...but then, I don't really care much for Annie's warblings...

Written By: Henk on 11/06/10 at 10:09 am

And on we move to letter O...

One Way Ticket (To The Blues)

Original artist: Neil Sedaka
Year: 1959
Chart positions: US #9, UK #3, NL #1

(This was the b-side to "Oh! Carol")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xUl_jck27I

Cover by: Eruption
Year: 1978
Chart positions: US #30 (Dance Music/Club Play Singles), UK #9, NL #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx7fFnxNH4U

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #16. One Way Ticket (To The Blues)

Written By: Frank on 11/07/10 at 1:24 am

I am not familiar with that one. Am familiar with "Oh Carol". My wife loves that song. It's a good cha-cha song.

I recall a hit from "Eruption" called "I can't stand the rain" or something like that... around the 1978 time period.

Written By: Henk on 11/07/10 at 1:32 am

I am not familiar with that one. Am familiar with "Oh Carol". My wife loves that song. It's a good cha-cha song.

According to various sources, "One Way Ticket" was one of Neil's most popular b-sides. Of course that doesn't mean 'everyone' knows the song.

I recall a hit from "Eruption" called "I can't stand the rain" or something like that... around the 1978 time period.

Yes, Eruption had a hit with that song in 1978 (also a cover version, btw).

Can you tell Frank Farian (also responsible for Boney M) is the genius behind those recordings...?  ::)

Written By: Frank on 11/07/10 at 1:39 am

Can you tell Frank Farian (also responsible for Boney M) is the genius behind those recordings...?  ::)

Very Boney-M ish...

Written By: whistledog on 11/07/10 at 3:37 pm

Can't say as I am familiar with either version, but that's not a bad cover

Written By: Henk on 11/13/10 at 9:13 am

Another weekend, another cover...or two. ::)

Please Don't Go

Original artist: KC & The Sunshine Band
Year: 1979
Chart positions: US #1, UK #3, NL #6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZV9xj4ofvsM

Cover by: Double You
Chart positions: US #23 (Hot Dance Music/Maxi Singles Sales), UK dnc, NL #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YIAnkrPgTvY

Cover by: K.W.S.
Chart positions: US #6, UK #1, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60fqp2rLUR4

Spot the differences between the latter two...
Rather unusual for two acts to release almost identical covers of the same song
in the same year, and both ending up in charts.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #17. Please Don't Go

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/10 at 10:39 am

I know and love all 3 versions.

In Canada, both Double You and KWS were in the Dance chart with it at the same time.  Double You first peaked at #2, then KWS peaked at #5. 

On the mainstream Canadian chart, KC hit #1 in February 1980 and KWS got to #27 in November 1992

Written By: Paul on 11/14/10 at 4:37 pm

According to various sources, "One Way Ticket" was one of Neil's most popular b-sides. Of course that doesn't mean 'everyone' knows the song.

Not sure if a lot of people in Britain knew that before Eruption covered it...

Very clever, that Sedaka guy, as the song's lyrics is almost entirely comprised of other song titles!

Genius is the word (although I do draw the line with Milli Vanilli...)

Written By: nally on 11/16/10 at 6:34 pm

For "Please Don't Go", I know the original version, and the KWS cover (which I enjoyed listening to in the 90s).

Written By: Henk on 11/27/10 at 3:46 am

I missed a weekend, due to internet problems, but now I'm back on track. :) Letter Q is next. Not an easy letter, I can tell you...

A Question Of Lust

Chart positions: US dnc, UK #28, NL #24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gJWLxPV9BI

Cover by: Dune & The London Session Orchestra
Year: 1998
Chart positions: n/a (album track only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lju3oj0yF8

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #18. A Question Of Lust

Written By: Henk on 11/27/10 at 3:52 am

A rarity, this one. Although Depeche Mode isn't popular at all in my country, the original version of this song actually did better over here than in their homeland UK.

And what about the cover? Dune is best known for their hardcore techno music...but here they prove they can make "real" music as well.

Written By: whistledog on 11/27/10 at 6:30 am

That cover wasn't bad.  Neither version was a hit here in Canada, but in the 80's, Depeche Mode went almost unknown here (even though their album 'Some Great Reward spent over a year in the chart, before 'People Are People' became a hit)

Written By: Henk on 12/04/10 at 8:55 am

Although more and more people seem to lose interest...here's letter R.
...And if you don't like reggae, I suggest you skip this one. ;)

Reflections Of My Life

Original artist: Marmalade
Year: 1969
Chart positions: US #10, UK #3, NL #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79NiN7ISW7E

Cover by: Ruddy Thomas & Barry Biggs
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7BGX2O-hDY

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #19. Reflections Of My Life

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/10 at 3:00 pm

Wow!  I really liked that cover.  Hadn't ever heard that version before.  Not as good as Marmalade, but a strong contender.

Written By: Henk on 12/05/10 at 7:27 am

Wow!  I really liked that cover.  Hadn't ever heard that version before.  Not as good as Marmalade, but a strong contender.

I agree with you, even though I'm more familiar with the Thomas/Biggs cover version.

Written By: gibbo on 12/08/10 at 4:14 am

Not a bad cover...although I prefer the original. I had not heard that song for many years (and had never heard the cover before). It is another example of great music from the late 60's.

Written By: Henk on 12/11/10 at 10:59 am

Next letter is letter S. I picked fairly recent song this time. Hope you enjoy it nontheless.

Seven Nation Army

Original artist: The White Stripes
Year: 2003
Chart positions: US 376, UK #7, NL #22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY

Cover by: Ben l'Oncle Soul
Year: 2010
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4XKNNl31Gc

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #20. Seven Nation Army

Written By: whistledog on 12/11/10 at 12:40 pm

That was a cool cover.  Seven Nation Army is a song I never thought I'd see a cover of

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #20. Seven Nation Army

Written By: Henk on 12/18/10 at 5:52 am

And on we go (though should I even bother...?) with letter T.

Tell It Like It Is

Original artist: Aaron Neville
Year: 1966
Chart positions: US #1, UK ?, NL #36

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcRgwgMc1Qc

Cover by: Mariska Veres
Year: 1975
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #51

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN0R_tglljA

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #21. Tell It Like It Is

Written By: Henk on 12/18/10 at 5:57 am

There are other (and probably better) cover versions of the song, but I chose to pick this obscure one.

Mariska Veres was, as you might know, the lead singer of Shocking Blue who scored a US #1 hit with Venus. Despite her fame, her solo career never really took off. She struggled to score hits even in Holland.

Written By: whistledog on 12/18/10 at 1:54 pm

I liked that cover.  The cover of it I am best familiar of is the 1980 version by Heart

Don Johnson also had an International hit with it in 1989

Written By: Henk on 01/01/11 at 9:37 am

Thanks to the flu I missed another weekend. But I don't think anyone noticed... We're approaching the end of the alphabet.

Under The Moon Of Love

Original artist: Curtis Lee
Year: 1961
Chart positions: US #46, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiujpD8SNqM

Cover by: Showaddywaddy
Year: 1976

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDvsaMqQVvQ

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #22. Under The Moon Of Love

Written By: whistledog on 01/01/11 at 4:49 pm

The perfect song for Showaddywaddy to cover, and they did it very well. 

Written By: mooster on 01/01/11 at 8:01 pm

Loved this song!

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/11 at 9:20 am

Thanks to the flu I missed another weekend. But I don't think anyone noticed... We're approaching the end of the alphabet.

Cover by: Showaddywaddy

Excellent cover, love this song, brings back memories of my younger days!

Written By: Henk on 01/02/11 at 10:51 am

I'm glad to see everyone is liking this cover. I like it too! 8)

Written By: Henk on 01/09/11 at 9:41 am

V is another rather difficult letter. I could have gone for the obvious ("Venus"), but I didn't. :P

Voyage Voyage

Original artist: Desireless
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #5, NL #11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PDmZnG8KsM

Cover by: Kate Ryan
Year: 2007
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB-z6MwTLeI

(Sorry about the video - it is somewhat blurry, I'm afraid)

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #23. Voyage Voyage

Written By: Henk on 01/09/11 at 9:44 am

And let me tell you that I prefer the original. 8)

Written By: whistledog on 01/09/11 at 7:59 pm

I actually too prefer the original Voyage Voyage, but that cover is excellent.  Kate Ryan = Awesome!

Written By: Henk on 01/15/11 at 7:44 am

Not sure why I keep posting here...but here's letter W.

Walk On By

Original artist: Dionne Warwick
Year: 1964
Chart positions: US #6, UK #9, NL #24

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO073fekFfA

Cover by: Gloria Gaynor
Chart positions: US #98, UK  dnc, NL #22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvEAUwWz2OY

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #24. Walk On By

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/11 at 10:36 am

Can Walk On By by The Stranglers be added?

I prefer Dionne Warwick version.

Written By: Henk on 01/15/11 at 10:55 am

Can Walk On By by The Stranglers be added?

I could do that, but then others might want to add their favorites too (and there's at least 60 versions of this song... Listening to the D-Train version as we speak)

I prefer Dionne Warwick version.

I'm not sure which one I prefer.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/11 at 10:56 am

I could do that, but then others might want to add their favorites too (and there's at least 60 versions of this song... Listening to the D-Train version as we speak)
There is a very ropy copy on YouTbue of the Stranglers' version.

Written By: Henk on 01/15/11 at 11:00 am

There is a very ropy copy on YouTbue of the Stranglers' version.

I take it you mean the video to the song? I've tried watching it, but it stopped playing after just a few seconds.

There are other copies of the song (without the video) but I'm not planning on posting them here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/11 at 11:05 am

I take it you mean the video to the song? I've tried watching it, but it stopped playing after just a few seconds.
Yes, and that was the same result for me.

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/11 at 12:35 pm

It is The Stranglers version of 'Walk on By' that I love the best, but a second up for me is the 1990 version by Sybil. 

Written By: gibbo on 01/16/11 at 2:14 am

I didn't mind Gloria Gaynor's cover.  It sounds like a different song...  Dionne's original cannot be outdone. She was the perfect voice and interpretation to Bacharach and David songs. To me...  Walk On By is one of the greatest songs from the 60's.  To quote a Carly Simon song...Nobody Does It Better!

Written By: Henk on 01/16/11 at 7:43 am

It is The Stranglers version of 'Walk on By' that I love the best, but a second up for me is the 1990 version by Sybil. 

I hadn't heard the Stranglers version until yesterday, but I wasn't impressed.

The Sybil version was the most successful of them all in Holland, peaking at #14 in 1990. I was planning on posting that one instead of the Gloria Gaynor cover, but I wasn't sure which video to post (too many remixes out there!).

Written By: Henk on 01/16/11 at 7:44 am

I didn't mind Gloria Gaynor's cover.  It sounds like a different song...   Dionne's original cannot be outdone. She was the perfect voice and interpretation to Bacharach and David songs. To me...  Walk On By is one of the greatest songs from the 60's.  To quote a Carly Simon song...Nobody Does It Better!

The Gloria Gaynor version is the only one I have (on vinyl).

Written By: Henk on 01/22/11 at 9:36 am

Skipping X (for obvious reasons) which brings us to...

You're Not Alone

Original artist: Olive
Year: 1996
Peak positions: US #56, UK #1, NL #24, CAN #17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hYYYFtXFmo

Cover by: Mads Langer
Year: 2009
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvsvbhjpA5o

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #25. You're Not Alone

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/11 at 9:38 am

Skipping X (for obvious reasons) which brings us to...
X for Xanadu, the two versions,  from 1980 by Olivia Newton-John And Electric Light Orchestra and in 2010 by Sharleen Spiteri.

Only being helpful.

Written By: Henk on 01/22/11 at 9:40 am

X for Xanadu, the two versions,  from 1980 by Olivia Newton-John And Electric Light Orchestra and in 2010 by Sharleen Spiteri.

Only being helpful.

Thanks. I'll try and remember this when I get to X again. :)

Written By: seamermar on 01/22/11 at 4:43 pm

Not sure why I keep posting here...but here's letter W

Maybe to please just my ears, and to someone else Henk  ;)'t

I hope you don't get weak and you keep feeding the list.

Covers is an interesting part of the music firmament.
I know a penguin needs to hear others around,
well as the last cover's Olive said You're not alone

Seamermar is in the wake of your good cover's songs

Written By: whistledog on 01/22/11 at 6:24 pm

Only being helpful.

Loved her version. 

Written By: Henk on 01/28/11 at 1:21 pm

I think this is the first time no one has commented on the cover version.

Written By: Henk on 01/30/11 at 11:42 am

Let me throw in another one that no one cares about. :P There are other and probably better known covers of this instrumental, but at this point I really can't be bothered.

Zorba's Dance
(a.k.a. La Danse De Zorba or Zorba The Greek)

Original artist: Mikis Theodorakis
Chart positions: US #26 (album chart), UK dnc (?), NL #5 (singles chart)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8vG1f8ag4

Cover by: Chet Atkins

Note: album track, from the album "Lover's Guitar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCo8RsaV7PI

Written By: Henk on 01/30/11 at 11:45 am

Cat

O sister where art thou?  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/11 at 11:46 am

Let me throw in another one that no one cares about. :P There are other and probably better known covers of this instrumental, but at this point I really can't be bothered.

Zorba's Dance
(a.k.a. La Danse De Zorba or Zorba The Greek)

Original artist: Mikis Theodorakis
Chart positions: US #26 (album chart), UK dnc (?), NL #5 (singles chart)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8vG1f8ag4

Cover by: Chet Atkins

Note: album track, from the album "Lover's Guitar"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCo8RsaV7PI

There is not real YouTube clip of it, but Marcello Minerbi version of Zobra's Dance from 1965 reached #6 in the UK Charts, is version I really know, also this tune I can remember from my youth.

Written By: karen on 01/30/11 at 3:39 pm

There is not real YouTube clip of it, but Marcello Minerbi version of Zobra's Dance from 1965 reached #6 in the UK Charts, is version I really know, also this tune I can remember from my youth.

Maybe this is the version my mum and dad had on an album of 'party' songs.  I certainly remember my dad and two of my uncles trying to do the dance at my grandparents house

Written By: Henk on 01/30/11 at 3:58 pm

Several versions of the tune made it to the Dutch Top 40, but Marcello Minerbi's version wasn't among those. In fact, I've never even heard of Marcello Minerbi. :-\\

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #26. Zorba's Dance

Written By: gibbo on 01/30/11 at 5:04 pm

After hearing both versions...I'm convinced that I like pretty much all versions of that song (excepting the Crazy Frog version).

Written By: seamermar on 01/30/11 at 5:40 pm

Theodorakis....thanks Henk.

it reminds me another lifetime.
When I was young and the cicadas sang.
Some nostalgic sounds of summer.

Covers and covers and covers again my friend,
you're growing a heap to feed my Henk's devotion ;)

Written By: Henk on 01/31/11 at 3:52 pm

After hearing both versions...I'm convinced that I like pretty much all versions of that song (excepting the Crazy Frog version).

Then you haven't heard the Atenna or LCD versions... ::) ;)

Written By: Henk on 01/31/11 at 3:53 pm

Theodorakis....thanks Henk.

it reminds me another lifetime.
When I was young and the cicadas sang.
Some nostalgic sounds of summer.

Covers and covers and covers again my friend,
you're growing a heap to feed my Henk's devotion ;)

Thanks for your kind words, Paco. :) Have you ever seen the movie?  ??? (I haven't)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/11 at 1:28 am

Thanks for your kind words, Paco. :) Have you ever seen the movie?  ??? (I haven't)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AzpHvLWFUM

Written By: Henk on 02/01/11 at 3:54 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AzpHvLWFUM

Well, that's about the only scene from the movie I've ever seen.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/11 at 1:07 am

Well, that's about the only scene from the movie I've ever seen.
I saw the film ages ago, and that is the only scene I remember from it too.

Written By: seamermar on 02/03/11 at 5:26 pm

Thanks for your kind words, Paco. :) Have you ever seen the movie?  ??? (I haven't)

I have Henk, but not in the original version.
Sometimes I wonder about how it would be to watch it just in the very real actors' voice.

Anthony Quinn is the only Mexican actor I have a high regard for his career.

Like the wine he has improved along the years, playing all kind of roles, from Eskimo to Arabian,
The last I saw " The savage innocents" and the following I'll see "The lion of the desert".

Good choice ....as usual my friend ;)

Written By: Henk on 02/04/11 at 5:41 am

For those of you that are interested: the various versions of "Zorba's Dance" (I believe four in total) still hold the Dutch record for longevity in the single scharts. The tune spent a total of 37 weeks in Dutch Top 40.

Written By: Henk on 02/07/11 at 3:45 pm

Uh-oh...Missed the weekend. :D And we're back to square one, or rather: letter A.

As Tears Go By

Original artist: Marianne Faithfull
Chart positions: US #22, UK #9, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf9w2hJIqUk

Cover by: The Torero's
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #6 (B-side of 'Bald Headed Woman')

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esP3DNHvQpM

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #27. As Tears Go By

Written By: Henk on 02/07/11 at 3:54 pm

The Torero's were a Dutch band of shortlived fame (unlike its members). "As Tears Go By" started out the A-side of their sole claim to fame in Holland, but the B-side proved the more popular.

As you probably all know, this was a Jagger/Richards composition - so of course the Stones had their take at it as well. Their version went to #2 in Dutch Top 40.

Personally, I prefer the "Broken English" version of the song, with Marianne considerably older and her voice marked by age (and drugs and alcohol).

Written By: gibbo on 02/07/11 at 7:43 pm

I knew after the opening bars that I liked Torero's version better.  Faithfull's delivery is missing something (perhaps some kind of life)!!  She really does just sit and watch as tears roll by...

Written By: Henk on 02/08/11 at 5:52 am

I knew after the opening bars that I liked Torero's version better.  Faithfull's delivery is missing something (perhaps some kind of life)!!  She really does just sit and watch as tears roll by...

I'm with you. Like I said, I prefer the rerecorded version by Marianne Faithfull. I'll never (fully) understand why people prefer the original recording. It's...bland. :-\\

BTW: I had never heard the Torero's version until yesterday... ;D

Written By: Paul on 02/08/11 at 11:04 am

Not a bad version of a pretty ho-hum song (whoever's had a crack at it)...

I presume the other side is a cover of the Kinks/Who number - there couldn't have been another song with that title!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/11 at 1:16 pm

I absolutely adore the Marianne Faithfull and like the original by the Rolling Stones.

Has anyone heard Nancy Sinatra's cover of As Tears Go By?

Written By: seamermar on 02/10/11 at 12:57 pm

The Torero's were a Dutch band of shortlived fame

Perhaps  because of such a weirdo of Spanish name  :o

Written By: Henk on 02/13/11 at 2:44 pm

I presume the other side is a cover of the Kinks/Who number - there couldn't have been another song with that title!

Yes, it is - although the Kinks version isn't really an original as well.

Written By: Henk on 02/13/11 at 2:49 pm

New weekend, new cover.

Boogie Nights

Original artist: Heatwave
Chart positions: US #2, UK #2, NL #17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdfN-vWWSQk

Cover by: LaFleur
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL #15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buoUgGFATzs

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #28. Boogie Nights

Written By: Henk on 02/13/11 at 2:55 pm

LaFleur were yet another Dutch One Hit Wonder, although lead singer Errol Lafleur went on to become one of the Soca Boys (who scored a Dutch #1 hit in 1998 with 'Follow The Leader').

Written By: Paul on 02/13/11 at 3:17 pm

The idea was probably along the lines of 'if we can get a hit with an updated 1970s disco track, we'll try it!' (Think Forrest around the same year!)

This did actually creep into the lower reaches of the British chart in summer 1983, probably due to heavy club play...

However, the whole thing screams '80s' and it's not dated as well as Heatwave's original...

Written By: nally on 02/13/11 at 4:50 pm

I only know the original. Never knew that it had been covered!

LaFleur were yet another Dutch One Hit Wonder,

...which is probably why I hadn't heard of them. Thanks for posting it!

Written By: whistledog on 02/13/11 at 8:10 pm

Boogie Nights.  I know both versions, but only knew the La Fleur version when I stumbled upon it when I was browsing the UK Top 100 chart.  Not as good as the Heatwave ortiginal, but still not bad.

I put the La Fleur version on a UK Chart hits of the 80s compilation I am still working on.

Written By: Henk on 02/14/11 at 3:50 pm

The idea was probably along the lines of 'if we can get a hit with an updated 1970s disco track, we'll try it!' (Think Forrest around the same year!)

I'm not quite sure what they were thinking, but it sorta worked (seeing how it outdid the original version in Dutch charts).

This did actually creep into the lower reaches of the British chart in summer 1983, probably due to heavy club play...

I'm amazed. I truly am.

However, the whole thing screams '80s' and it's not dated as well as Heatwave's original...

It sounded OK to me at the time. But in retrospect...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/18/11 at 1:35 am

New weekend, new cover.

Boogie Nights

Original artist: Heatwave
Chart positions: US #2, UK #2, NL #17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdfN-vWWSQk

Cover by: LaFleur
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL #15

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buoUgGFATzs

Boogie Nights, a great song by Rod Temperton, the man that gave us Thriller.

Written By: Paul on 02/18/11 at 10:18 am

Boogie Nights, a great song by Rod Temperton, the man that gave us Thriller.

Not bad going for a lad from Cleethorpes! Ey-oop...

Written By: Henk on 02/21/11 at 2:59 pm

'Nuff said about Boogie Nights. Time to move on to letter C.

(They Long To Be) Close To You

Original artist: Richard Chamberlain
Year: 1963
Chart positions: US #42 (B-side of "Blue Guitar"), UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPdSYxhacY8

Cover by: Jerry Butler & Brenda Lee Eager
Year: 1972
Chart positions: US #66 (Record World Singles Chart), UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPSQ4QuYjE8

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #29. (They Long To Be) Close To You

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/11 at 3:01 pm

'Nuff said about Boogie Nights. Time to move on to letter C.

(They Long To Be) Close To You

Original artist: Richard Chamberlain
Chart positions: US #42 (B-side of "Blue Guitar"), UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPdSYxhacY8

Cover by: Jerry Butler & Brenda Lee Eager
Chart positions: US #66 (Record World Singles Chart), UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPSQ4QuYjE8

I only know The Carpenters version of this song.

Written By: Henk on 02/21/11 at 3:02 pm

Bet you'd (conveniently) forgotten about Richard Chamberlain  ::)...and bet you've never even heard the Butler & Eager version. I can't find any evidence of it making the Billboard charts.

Written By: Henk on 02/21/11 at 3:03 pm

I only know The Carpenters version of this song.

There are at least 58 known recordings of the song.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/11 at 3:17 pm

There are at least 58 known recordings of the song.
Oh my!!

After looking online, I must hear the cover by Dusty Springfield.

Written By: gibbo on 02/21/11 at 5:25 pm

I didn't like either version. Chamberlain's was just plain awful .... and Butler & Eager killed it for me.  The Carpenters is the only version I have liked (that I have heard so far).  It's just about right ....

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/11 at 7:11 pm

I liked Gwen Guthrie's 1986 version, but The Carpenters version always stood out as best.  I was not even aware that Chamberlain did it first.  I always thought it was first done by Karen and Richard.  In the complete catalog of Bacharach/David compositions, the song itself stands out as one of the best

Written By: nally on 02/22/11 at 12:45 pm

The Carpenters is the only version I have liked (that I have heard so far).  It's just about right ....

I'm totally with you on that. I wasn't aware of any other versions of it up until now.

Written By: Henk on 02/22/11 at 4:03 pm

I didn't like either version. Chamberlain's was just plain awful .... and Butler & Eager killed it for me.  The Carpenters is the only version I have liked (that I have heard so far).  It's just about right ....

Sorry to hear that.  :-\\ I thought Chamberlain did a pretty decent job. Nothing to get overly excited about, but not bad either. That said, I'm glad he chose acting over singing.
And I actually like the Butler & Eager version. :-
I liked Gwen Guthrie's 1986 version, but The Carpenters version always stood out as best.  I was not even aware that Chamberlain did it first.  I always thought it was first done by Karen and Richard.  In the complete catalog of Bacharach/David compositions, the song itself stands out as one of the best

I don't think a lot of people know, Jason (I know I didn't, for one). And there were others before The Carpenters as well.

Written By: Paul on 02/23/11 at 1:26 pm

I was not even aware that Chamberlain did it first.  I always thought it was first done by Karen and Richard.

Quite a rarity this...a Bacharach/David song which Dionne Warwick didn't call first dibs on!

Can't say I'm taken with either...the Carpenters version will always reign supreme (and the less said about Gwen Guthrie, the better!  :P)

Written By: Henk on 02/23/11 at 1:48 pm

Quite a rarity this...a Bacharach/David song which Dionne Warwick didn't call first dibs on!

Maybe she didn't see the potential...? :-\\

Can't say I'm taken with either...

You're hard to please... :P ;)

the Carpenters version will always reign supreme (and the less said about Gwen Guthrie, the better!  :P)

Don't get me wrong, I like the Carpenters version best as well. But what if, say, the Chamberlain version had become a smash hit instead of the Carpenters version..? Would we still be thinking the same thing..? :-\\ There's just no telling, is there?

Written By: Paul on 02/23/11 at 4:09 pm

Don't get me wrong, I like the Carpenters version best as well. But what if, say, the Chamberlain version had become a smash hit instead of the Carpenters version..? Would we still be thinking the same thing..? :-\\ There's just no telling, is there?

I'm not sure...RC could hold a tune, but hell, did his voice have a monotonous quality!

I think you could safely say that, were it not for 'Dr. Kildare' (the TV show that made him a star) the records he made at the time would have been totally overlooked...

Written By: Henk on 02/28/11 at 12:41 pm

With all the audio quiz action going on I nearly forgot to post a new cover.

Dancing In The Moonlight

Original artist: Boffalongo
Year: 1970

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7pRgI_iAg

Cover by: King Harvest
Chart positions: US #13, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR47TZdJg64

...and because I know you're gonna ask for it...

Cover by: Toploader
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #19, NL #16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-oMHPZgKJc

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #30. Dancing In The Moonlight

Written By: Paul on 02/28/11 at 1:23 pm

Good call...I never knew the King Harvest version was a cover...

King Harvest's version is the one I normally lean towards, although there's not a huge deal of difference between the three...but that's just me!

Written By: Henk on 02/28/11 at 2:17 pm

Good call...I never knew the King Harvest version was a cover...

Well, one could argue that it's not really a cover version. Both Wells Kelly and Doc Robinson were members of Boffalongo before joining King Harvest.

Written By: whistledog on 03/01/11 at 12:20 pm

I didn't know the King Harvest version was a cover either, but that Toploader version was FANTASTIC!  I nearly wore out the CD when it first came out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/11 at 3:32 pm

With all the audio quiz action going on I nearly forgot to post a new cover.

Dancing In The Moonlight

Original artist: Boffalongo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ax7pRgI_iAg

Cover by: King Harvest
Chart positions: US #13, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR47TZdJg64

...and because I know you're gonna ask for it...

Cover by: Toploader
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #19, NL #16

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-oMHPZgKJc

Once again, I thought there was only version of the song (and that by Toploader), I am learning my each time I come to this topic.

Written By: Henk on 03/01/11 at 3:42 pm

Once again, I thought there was only version of the song (and that by Toploader), I am learning my each time I come to this topic.

I'll take that as a compliment. :)

Written By: Henk on 03/13/11 at 12:53 am

Oh dear... I missed a week! :D Better get things going again.

Everything I Own

Original artist: Bread
Chart positions: US #5, UK #32, NL #57

(Sorry, only David Gates in this video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pfTfMoR8sg

Cover by: Boy George
Chart positions: US #45 (Dance Music/Club Play Singles), UK #1, NL #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxKLWIn3Ng8

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #31. Everything I Own

Written By: Henk on 03/13/11 at 1:00 am

Wow. Never thought I'd say this, but that Boy George version sounds dated. And bland too, compared to the original.
Apart from that, he took so many liberties with the lyrics that one can hardly call it a cover.

So the thumbs up from me for Bread on this one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/11 at 1:05 am

Oh dear... I missed a week! :D Better get things going again.

Everything I Own

Original artist: Bread
Chart positions: US #5, UK #32, NL #57

(Sorry, only David Gates in this video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pfTfMoR8sg

Cover by: Boy George
Chart positions: US #45 (Dance Music/Club Play Singles), UK #1, NL #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxKLWIn3Ng8

Bread every time for me, although this song is frequently interpreted as a romantic love song, David Gates actually wrote the song as a tribute to his late father.

I first knew of this song for Ken Boothe's reggae cover from 1974.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aKCKssaLQ8

Written By: Henk on 03/13/11 at 1:15 am

I first knew of this song for Ken Boothe's reggae cover from 1974.

Interesting. I've never heard this version before, but it's ok.

I notice mr. Boothe has completely skipped the second verse. At least Boy George kept the second verse, although he completely rewrote it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/13/11 at 1:16 am

Interesting. I've never heard this version before, but it's ok.

I notice mr. Boothe has completely skipped the second verse. At least Boy George kept the second verse, although he completely rewrote it.
I did not noticed that.

Written By: whistledog on 03/13/11 at 6:01 pm

Bread hit #5 in Canada
Boy George reached #13

Always found it odd how George's cover was not well received in the US.  It is the version that I know best and I do like it, but the Bread original is still far superior.

Written By: Paul on 03/18/11 at 7:59 am

Much as I do like the odd bit of reggae, it doesn't lend itself at all well to this delightful song...

Those two covers mentioned above sailed to the very summit of the British chart with 13 years separating them, while Bread's original struggled to #32...is there no justice?

Written By: Henk on 03/18/11 at 2:48 pm

Much as I do like the odd bit of reggae, it doesn't lend itself at all well to this delightful song...

Those two covers mentioned above sailed to the very summit of the British chart with 13 years separating them, while Bread's original struggled to #32...is there no justice?

Well, I gave you some karma... ::) ;)

Written By: Henk on 03/19/11 at 3:41 am

OK... Feast your ears on this!

A Forest

Original artist: Cure
Year: 1980
Chart positions: US #47 (Dance Music/Club Play Singles), UK #31, NL #31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xik-y0xlpZ0

Cover by: Bat For Lashes
Year: 2008
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL n/a (album track only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJxl-ajeS9k

Written By: gibbo on 03/19/11 at 4:42 am

OK... Feast your ears on this!

A Forest

Original artist: Cure
Chart positions: US #47 (Dance Music/Club Play Singles), UK #31, NL #31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xik-y0xlpZ0

Cover by: Bat For Lashes
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL n/a (album track only)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJxl-ajeS9k

I love both versions of the song. The Cure delivers...well, what The Cure always delivers....a compelling sound and appropraite facial expression! ;)

The Bat for Lashes version was a revelation. I hadn't heard it before...  It is dramatic and I like the slower more deliberate beat.

Thanks Henk.    My 19 year old daughter came in to see what I was listening to ... and advised that she has The Cure version on her Ipod. She went off to get this other version... :)

Written By: Henk on 03/19/11 at 7:23 am

I love both versions of the song. The Cure delivers...well, what The Cure always delivers....a compelling sound and appropraite facial expression! ;)

I was quite shocked to see Robert Smith without his usual make up. :D

The Bat for Lashes version was a revelation. I hadn't heard it before...   It is dramatic and I like the slower more deliberate beat.

Thanks Henk.    My 19 year old daughter came in to see what I was listening to ... and advised that she has The Cure version on her Ipod. She went off to get this other version... :)

Bat For Lashes basically is just a moniker for multi instrumentalist Natasha Khan. All of her songs have the same haunting, elusive feel. So far, she's had two albums out ("Fur And Gold" and "Two Suns"). I happen to have both. 8)
I suggest your daughter also tries "Daniel" (a minor hit in UK), "Moon And Moon" and "Sleep Alone". I don't think she'll be disappointed. ;)

Note: Please listen to the "Live Abbey Road (2009)" versions on YouTube. Significantly better than the video versions.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #32. A Forest

Written By: whistledog on 03/19/11 at 11:14 pm

Though I had never heard it before, I kind of like the Bat For Lashes version better. 

Written By: Paul on 03/21/11 at 2:24 pm

I've never really been taken with The Cure and that cover doesn't do anything for me either...

Pretty much a 'non-song' to my ears, sorry... :-\\

Written By: karen on 03/22/11 at 9:36 am

Not keen on the cover version personally, but maybe that's because the original is one of my favourite Cure songs.

Written By: Henk on 03/22/11 at 5:06 pm

I've never really been taken with The Cure and that cover doesn't do anything for me either...

Pretty much a 'non-song' to my ears, sorry... :-\\

Bleh. :P Maybe I can find a cover of a Chas & Dave song to make your day... :D

Not keen on the cover version personally, but maybe that's because the original is one of my favourite Cure songs.

To be honest: I'm not particularly fond of the cover myself. Bat For Lashes have released better material.

Written By: Henk on 03/27/11 at 9:42 am

Here's one in honor of the late Ferlin Husky.

Gone

Original artist: Ferlin Husky
Year: 1952 (as Terry Preston) / 1957 (as himself)
Chart positions: US #4, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ4rvIdNAXM

Cover by: Joey Heatherton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYuAiKQl7m0

In the video to the Joey Heatherton version, there's a claim this was a Top 40 hit. I can't find any evidence of that, though.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #33. Gone

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/11 at 11:36 am

Here's one in honor of the late Ferlin Husky.

Gone

Original artist: Ferlin Husky
Year: 1952 (as Terry Preston) / 1957 (as himself)
Chart positions: US #4, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ4rvIdNAXM

Cover by: Joey Heatherton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYuAiKQl7m0

In the video to the Joey Heatherton version, there's a claim this was a Top 40 hit. I can't find any evidence of that, though.

I can tell you that Joey's version reached #25 in Canada.  It's actually a 70s song that I know.  Never knew of the Ferlin version, but after a listen, I do know it.  I still like Joey's version best.

Written By: Henk on 03/27/11 at 3:00 pm

I can tell you that Joey's version reached #25 in Canada. 

Ah, so the claim was rightful.

It's actually a 70s song that I know.

But not well enough to recognize it in my quiz. ;) :P

Never knew of the Ferlin version, but after a listen, I do know it.  I still like Joey's version best.

Even though Husky is probably the better singer of the two, I feel the Heatherton version is an improvement. But that's just my opinion.

Written By: whistledog on 03/27/11 at 4:33 pm

I only know it to hear it, but I didn't know the name of it until this thread lol
Just the other day, I found out the name of a song by The Band, that I have heard for years, but never new the name of lol

Written By: Paul on 03/27/11 at 4:38 pm

Conversely, I knew the basics of the song, but wasn't familiar with this version...

Even though Husky is probably the better singer of the two, I feel the Heatherton version is an improvement. But that's just my opinion.

A pretty fair judgement...hers is a much better arrangement, even if the song is yer typical country fare...

Bleh. :P Maybe I can find a cover of a Chas & Dave song to make your day... :D

Don't encourage 'em...if they've somehow covered a Cure song, I wouldn't be surprised!  :P

Written By: Henk on 04/02/11 at 5:20 am

See if anyone remembers this...

Hush

Original artist: Billy Joe Royal
Year: 1967
Chart positions: US #52, UK dnc, NL #5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCV-Y2OPLT8

Cover by: Kula Shaker
Year: 1997
Chart positions: US #19 (Mainstream Rock Tracks), UK #2, NL #23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh7r_f_rw0c

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #34. Hush

Written By: whistledog on 04/02/11 at 12:00 pm

Ha!  I didn't even know Hush was a cover.  I used to love Kula Shaker, but completely forgot about them until now. 

the original is not bad.  Billy Joe Royal was a great entertainer.

Written By: Henk on 04/03/11 at 12:37 am

Ha!  I didn't even know Hush was a cover.  I used to love Kula Shaker, but completely forgot about them until now. 

the original is not bad.  Billy Joe Royal was a great entertainer.

So the only version of this song you knew was the Kula Shaker one..? ??? Because there are other cover versions of Hush, most noticeably the one by Deep Purple.

What's interesting (if you care about these things): this was both Billy Joe Royal's and Kula Shaker's biggest hit in the Netherlands.
Oddly, I don't remember this song at all (in either version). I only know Kula Shaker for Tattva, but that didn't even make our bubbling under section.

Written By: whistledog on 04/03/11 at 1:17 am

I was only familiar with the Kula Shaker version, but having listened to the Deep Purple version, I have heard it before.  It's strange how some songs that are covers, you sometimes don't recognize.

At the time, Tattva was the only Kula Shaker song I knew, so when they released their greatest hits album 'Kollected' in 2002, I picked it up, and explored the rest of their work.

Written By: nally on 04/04/11 at 12:11 pm

So the only version of this song you knew was the Kula Shaker one..? ??? Because there are other cover versions of Hush, most noticeably the one by Deep Purple.

What's interesting (if you care about these things): this was both Billy Joe Royal's and Kula Shaker's biggest hit in the Netherlands.
Oddly, I don't remember this song at all (in either version). I only know Kula Shaker for Tattva, but that didn't even make our bubbling under section.

Interesting; I only know the Deep Purple version, which was popular in the US.

Written By: Paul on 04/04/11 at 1:42 pm

Purple's version is my choice...

Written by Joe South, who, like a lot of great songwriters, had more success when his songs were covered...

Written By: Henk on 04/11/11 at 2:38 pm

I somehow missed your reply, Paul. :-\\

Purple's version is my choice...

You can't pick Deep Purple. It's either Billy Joe Royal or Kula Shaker. :P :D

Written by Joe South, who, like a lot of great songwriters, had more success when his songs were covered...

Very true. And very odd, too, if you think about it. It's not like Billy Joe Royal is an exceptionally goodlookin' guy. :-\\ Or an exceptionally good singer, for that matter.

Written By: Henk on 04/11/11 at 2:58 pm

Time for something new and ... well, very 1980's (the cover, that is)... ;D ::)

I Can See Clearly Now

Original artist: Johnny Nash
Chart positions: US #1, UK #5, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkwJ-g0iJ6w

Cover by: Lee Towers
Year: 1982
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KKp5rCXJCc

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #35. I Can See Clearly Now

Written By: Henk on 04/11/11 at 3:09 pm

Here's a little something about Lee Towers.

The UK had Frankie Vaughan, the Netherlands had (or rather, has) Lee Towers. He's covered just about anything he could lay his hands on - with mixed success.
His real name is Leen Huyzer, and he was a professional crane driver on the Rotterdam docks until his musical breakthrough in 1975. In spite of this video being 7 years later, you can still tell he's not used to performing.
The elbow movement is one of his trademarks, along with his gold microphone (but he acquired that one a few years later).

FYI: I think this is actually one of his better covers.

Written By: gibbo on 04/11/11 at 7:02 pm

I still like Johnny Nash's original best....and he holds the long note too (although this performance was most probably lip synced).  :-\\

Lee Towers makes a good fist of the song. He sings it as a straight cover and sounds a bit like Engelbert (nice voice). I agree that he was still learning his stage craft.  ;D

Written By: Henk on 04/12/11 at 12:02 am

I still like Johnny Nash's original best....and he holds the long note too (although this performance was most probably lip synced).  :-\\

Live or lip synched - it's still a great performance.

Lee Towers makes a good fist of the song. He sings it as a straight cover and sounds a bit like Engelbert (nice voice). I agree that he was still learning his stage craft.  ;D

Lee will be very pleased to hear this. And I think he'll agree with you on the last part.

He's also covered "You'll Never Walk Alone" (among many many others) and turned it into something of a Feyenoord anthem - but honestly, I think he should have left that one alone.

Written By: karen on 04/12/11 at 11:26 am

I listened to the Lee Towers version first and think it's a decent enough cover, though he changed the lyric in the bridge.

I thought the version I knew was by a female, but listening to the Johnny Nash, maybe I was wrong!  :-[

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/11 at 4:28 pm

That Lee Towers version wasn't bad.  My favourite cover will always be the Jimmy Cliff version from the 90s movie 'Cool Runnings'

Jimmy's 1993 version reached #16 in Canada
Johnny's version reached #1

Written By: nally on 04/12/11 at 4:30 pm

I only know the original Johnny Nash version and the Jimmy Cliff cover, both of which were big hits in the US. :)

Written By: Henk on 04/12/11 at 4:35 pm

I thought the version I knew was by a female, but listening to the Johnny Nash, maybe I was wrong!  :-[

I know exactly what you mean. ;)

Written By: gibbo on 04/12/11 at 6:27 pm

I listened to the Lee Towers version first and think it's a decent enough cover, though he changed the lyric in the bridge.

He DOES have  a high toned voice.

Written By: Paul on 04/14/11 at 1:33 pm

You'll doubtless be surprised to learn that...

Johnny Nash...absolutely!

Any other version (Hothouse Flowers also please take note)...no thanks! Some things just shouldn't be touched at all!

Written By: whistledog on 04/14/11 at 1:56 pm

Any other version (Hothouse Flowers also please take note)...no thanks! Some things just shouldn't be touched at all!

As much as I love Hothouse Flowers, their version was too slow and boring.

Written By: Henk on 05/01/11 at 1:19 am

About time I put a new one up...

Jambalaya (On The Bayou)

Original artist: Hank Williams
Year: 1952
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL n/a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnKOVPXhlnE

Cover by: The Carpenters
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #12, NL #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvD_YFtJ7ek

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #36. Jambalaya (On The Bayou)

Written By: Henk on 05/01/11 at 1:21 am

I know, the Hank Williams version isn't really "the" original. The song is much older than that.

And I know, The Carpenters were only one of many to follow in Hank's footsteps.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/01/11 at 2:25 am

Jo Stafford recorded and released Jambalaya in 1952, reached #11 in the UK Charts and Fats Domino in 1962 reaching #41.

I have always liked the Fats Domino version.

Written By: gibbo on 05/01/11 at 4:07 am

Never really liked this song ... but it has always been a curiosity of mine (as I could never quite make out the lyrics).  I prefer the Carpenters style (less countryfied). Hank was never a favourite of mine (a different Hank...Henk  ;)).

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/11 at 12:44 am

For me, the best version of Jambalaya is the 1973 version by John Fogerty and the Blue Ridge Rangers.  It reached #20 in the US and #5 in Canada

Written By: Henk on 05/28/11 at 2:32 am

It's been a while, but here's a new one...

King Of The Road

Original artist: Roger Miller
Year: 1965
Chart positions: US #4, UK #1, NL #14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qgmxPb-ego

Cover by: Boney M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8WmIU4615I

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #37. King Of The Road

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/11 at 2:52 am

I have always like this song, if pushed I do it as karaoke.

Never heard the Boney M version before, it is fine, but I much prefer Roger Miller and....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImwmQjpCHV0

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/11 at 3:01 am

Never heard the Boney M version before, it is fine, but I much prefer Roger Miller and....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImwmQjpCHV0

The Proclaimers reach #9 in 1990 in the UK Charts.

Written By: Henk on 05/28/11 at 3:03 am

No it's not - it's utter rubbish! That's why I posted it in the first place. ;D :D ;)

I knew the Proclaimers had done a cover version too (and an excellent one, with that), but I decided not to post that one. I figured someone else would, eventually... ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/11 at 3:05 am

No it's not - it's utter rubbish! That's why I posted it in the first place. ;D :D ;)

I knew the Proclaimers had done a cover version too (and an excellent one, with that), but I decided not to post that one. I figured someone else would, eventually... ;)
OK, it rubbish!

Also, let us not forget from 1975 Billy Howard's King of the Cops....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5c74-JabrU

Written By: Henk on 05/28/11 at 3:16 am

OK, it rubbish!

Also, let us not forget from 1975 Billy Howard's King of the Cops....

First time I ever heard that record. Utterly brilliant! (Especially his impersonation of Columbo is spot-on)

Police officers making records...what'll they think of next?  ;D (I get the joke there)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/11 at 3:19 am

First time I ever heard that record. Utterly brilliant! (Especially his impersonation of Columbo is spot-on)

Police officers making records...what'll they think of next?  ;D (I get the joke there)
So do I, if knew the reason why?

I should have the Billy Howard 45 single somewhere in my collection.

Written By: Henk on 05/28/11 at 3:22 am

So do I, if knew the reason why?

I should have the Billy Howard 45 single somewhere in my collection.

What do you mean? You don't get the joke? ??? I'm confused. :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/11 at 3:25 am

What do you mean? You don't get the joke? ??? I'm confused. :-\\
I do get it, "if" is the keyword

Written By: Henk on 05/28/11 at 3:36 am

I do get it, "if" is the keyword

Got it! ;)

And for those that still not get it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J94-_w9ARX0

(Though in the Netherlands he's best known for Some Broken Hearts Never Mend)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/11 at 3:38 am

Got it! ;)

And for those that still not get it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J94-_w9ARX0

(Though in the Netherlands he's best known for Some Broken Hearts Never Mend)
In the 1975 Telly Savalas had a hit with You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin', but it only reach #47 in the charts.

Written By: gibbo on 05/28/11 at 5:36 am

Love King of the Road. It is one of those country songs that just works well.  I also really enjoyed the Proclaimers version. Those guys just sound so good! The Scottish must be one of the few English speaking nations who don't seem to lose their accent when singing.  I just love hearing their music... :)

As for Boney M .... I DO like the group ... but their version of this song isn't too hot!!!  ;D

.... and don't get me started on Telly's 'If' ...  :o

Written By: Paul on 05/30/11 at 2:54 pm

'King Of The Road'...conceived, recorded and forever associated (in my mind) with the late Roger Miller...

Although this was quite clever...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdMISGruB0Q

Written By: whistledog on 05/30/11 at 8:07 pm

I like Boney M, but their version is not too good.  I only know the Roger Miller and Proclaimers versions.

Written By: Henk on 09/04/11 at 3:05 pm

Haven't posted here in over three months and I've had no complaints... ::)  but still...

Little Red Rooster

Original artist: Howlin' Wolf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtAg2AwPlL8

Cover by: Rolling Stones
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #1, NL #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiFnleuNULQ

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #38. Little Red Rooster

Written By: Paul on 09/06/11 at 7:14 am

I was brought up on the Stones' version, as I'm sure most of us were...

Sam Cooke's cover from the year before wasn't too bad...

The Stones' version is the only time a bona fide blues song has topped the British chart!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/11 at 3:38 pm

Haven't posted here in over three months and I've had no complaints... ::)  but still...

Little Red Rooster

Original artist: Howlin' Wolf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtAg2AwPlL8

Cover by: Rolling Stones
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #1, NL #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiFnleuNULQ

I was brought up on the Stones' version too...

...and I have the single somewhere, I wonder how much it is worth?

Written By: King Tut on 09/07/11 at 1:40 pm

It could be worth something. Look into it.
I didn't know it was a cover version, but back then it wasn't out of the ordinary to sing cover versions. Beatles recorded "Kansas City", "Twist and Shout", "Roll over Beethoven", all covers.

Written By: Henk on 09/07/11 at 1:42 pm

I was brought up on the Stones' version, as I'm sure most of us were...

Sam Cooke's cover from the year before wasn't too bad...

The Stones' version is the only time a bona fide blues song has topped the British chart!

I think just about everyone is more familiar with the Stones version. In fact, I don't think I've ever heard the original version until three days ago... :-[

Written By: Henk on 09/10/11 at 12:25 pm

New weekend, new cover.

Mad World

Original artist: Tears For Fears
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #3, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7wfEFpybj0

Cover by: Michael Andrews & Gary Jules
Year: 2001
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #1, NL #5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #39. Mad World

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/10/11 at 12:39 pm

New weekend, new cover.

Mad World

Original artist: Tears For Fears
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #3, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7wfEFpybj0

Cover by: Michael Andrews & Gary Jules
Year: 2001
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #1, NL #5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3N1MlvVc4

I like both versions, but do find Gary Jules refreshing to hear.

Written By: Henk on 09/10/11 at 12:57 pm

I like both versions, but do find Gary Jules refreshing to hear.

I find it hard to pick a favorite, too.

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/11 at 8:36 pm

Mad World.  I like the TFF version, but I thought Michael Andrews and Gary Jules blew it out of the water, it was so good.

If c_keenan2001@hotmail.com sees this topic, you know which one she will choose :D

Written By: King Tut on 09/11/11 at 1:04 pm

I like the sound of Tears for Fears, I prefer that one.

Written By: Paul on 09/15/11 at 1:37 pm

Not much, given that quite a few copies were shifted at the time...

However, this British copy (exported to Holland) may be worth something...

Where were we? Oh yes...

TFF - bearable...Gary Jules - take it away and bury it deep...

Written By: Henk on 09/27/11 at 4:12 pm

Next one...

Need Your Love So Bad

Original artist: Little Willie John
Year: 1955
Chart positions: US #5 (R&B), UK dnc, NL n/a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Syxgc2665w4

Cover by: Fleetwood Mac
Year: 1968
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #31, NL #7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_CV9cZhyi4

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #40. Need Your Love So Bad

Written By: Henk on 09/30/11 at 5:23 am

* cough * bump * cough *

Written By: King Tut on 09/30/11 at 2:42 pm

Hi Henk, I listened to both versions. I didn't fancy the actual song (If I had to chose one I like better, I'd select the '50s one)

Written By: Paul on 09/30/11 at 3:25 pm

Virtuoso lowdown blues playing on both, but (and the purists will hate me for this) it's a 'nothing' song...

Written By: Henk on 10/28/11 at 2:02 pm

Next...somewhat appropriate for this here thread... ::)

The Only Way Is Up

Original artist: Otis Clay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG8BrAnMHrk

Cover by: Yazz & The Plastic Population
Year: 1988
Chart positions: US #96, UK #1, NL #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/28/11 at 2:03 pm

Next...somewhat appropriate for this here thread... ::)

The Only Way Is Up

Original artist: Otis Clay

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG8BrAnMHrk

Cover by: Yazz & The Plastic Population
Chart positions: US #96, UK #1, NL #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc

Now that is another song I had not realised is a cover.

I will always prefer Yazz

Written By: karen on 10/28/11 at 2:20 pm

Now that is another song I had not realised is a cover.

I will always prefer Yazz

I hadn't realised it was a cover until reading some other thread here today.

I thought the Otis Clay version was o.k., quite listenable, but doesn't come close to the Yazz version at all.

Written By: Henk on 10/28/11 at 4:59 pm

I hadn't realised it was a cover until reading some other thread here today.

You were probably reading my post in the Most Uplifting Songs of the 1980s thread (or whatever it's called). ;)

I thought the Otis Clay version was o.k., quite listenable, but doesn't come close to the Yazz version at all.

The Otis Clay version is growing on me, though I much prefer the Yazz version too.

TBH: somewhere in the back of my mind I knew it was a cover, but I had completely forgotten about it until my earlier post in the other thread.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #41. The Only Way Is Up

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/11 at 6:32 pm

I didn't know that was a cover song either.  The Otis Clay version is not bad, but it will always be Yazz for me

Written By: Paul on 11/07/11 at 6:55 am

I did know that it was a cover, but probably due to the constant overplay of Yazz's version, neither effort appeals to me...

Written By: Henk on 11/07/11 at 1:25 pm

I did know that it was a cover, but probably due to the constant overplay of Yazz's version, neither effort appeals to me...

So what else is new?

Written By: Paul on 11/07/11 at 1:31 pm

So what else is new?

Contrary to what you may think, there are things out there that I do like...keep trying!

Written By: Henk on 11/08/11 at 5:20 am

Contrary to what you may think, there are things out there that I do like...keep trying!

Really...? I can't help but getting increasingly sceptical about that. Maybe it's time you should enlighten us.

Written By: Henk on 01/03/12 at 2:36 pm

It's about time, isn't it? And a rather appropriate one with that...

People Are People

Chart positions: US #13, UK #4, NL #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTYsElEGswc&ob=av2n

Cover by: Atrocity
Chart positions: n/a (album track)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgJp6waOpRE

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #42. People Are People

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/12 at 5:14 pm

I've actually heard that Atrocity cover before.  It's not bad, but nothing can touch the DM original. 

Written By: Henk on 01/05/12 at 1:02 pm

I've actually heard that Atrocity cover before.  It's not bad, but nothing can touch the DM original.

I didn't know the cover until I started looking for one. I agree - it's not bad, but the original is superior. 8)

Written By: Henk on 05/02/12 at 2:16 pm

Reviving one thread I've been neglecting. Not as if anybody cared! ;D :D ;)

Queen Of Hearts

Original artist: Dave Edmunds
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #11, NL dnc, AUS #59

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFN_H3Eqw1U

Cover by: Juice Newton
Year:1981
Chart positions: US #2, UK dnc, NL #20, CAN #8, NZ #7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BdqsTXPt-g

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #43. Queen Of Hearts

Written By: whistledog on 05/02/12 at 4:28 pm

Excellent!

I grew up on the Juice Newton version, so I tend to prefer that one more, but Edmunds style for the original was a perfect fit for him, and if it was not for 'Girls Talk' or 'Slipping Away', I would vote 'Queen of Hearts' as the best Dave Edmunds song

Written By: Henk on 05/03/12 at 1:20 pm

Excellent!

I grew up on the Juice Newton version, so I tend to prefer that one more, but Edmunds style for the original was a perfect fit for him, and if it was not for 'Girls Talk' or 'Slipping Away', I would vote 'Queen of Hearts' as the best Dave Edmunds song

I, too, grew up on the Juice Newton version. But after hearing the original I think I prefer that version.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/05/12 at 7:51 am

I have always known the Dave Edmunds version and never heard the Juice Newton version, I need to re-listen to it.

Written By: Henk on 05/11/12 at 1:40 pm

I'm glad so many people are enjoying this thread... :D

A Rockin' Good Way (To Mess Around And Fall In Love)

Original artist: Priscilla Bowman (with The Spaniels)
Year: 1958
Chart positions: US/UK/NL dnc

(Note: this was the B-side to I Ain't Givin' Up Nothing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWgIR4O2VX8

Cover by: Shakin' Stevens & Bonnie Tyler
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #5, NL #8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaJFqDGxLMs

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #44. A Rockin' Good Way

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/12 at 3:07 pm

I didn't know this was a cover, but I had a feeling it was cause most of the songs Shaky does are covers.  The original was not bad, but I much prefer the Shaky version

Written By: Henk on 05/11/12 at 4:14 pm

I didn't know this was a cover, but I had a feeling it was cause most of the songs Shaky does are covers.  The original was not bad, but I much prefer the Shaky version

The original version isn't very well known, but co-writer Brook Benton recorded it himself with the help of Dinah Washington in 1960. That version was the bigger hit (a US #7).

In retrospect, the Shaky & Bonnie version is okay, but slightly overrated (IMO).

Written By: Paul on 05/14/12 at 6:59 am

Not familiar with the original, but it's okay...

The original version isn't very well known, but co-writer Brook Benton recorded it himself with the help of Dinah Washington in 1960. That version was the bigger hit (a US #7).

I'd loved to have been a fly on the wall when Brook & Dinah were recording it...they absolutely hated one another!

Written By: Henk on 05/19/12 at 5:38 am

Time to do another one...

State Of Independence

Original artist: Jon & Vangelis
Chart positions: dnc (1981) / UK #67 (1984 reissue)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v8Wden1LFs

Cover by: Donna Summer
Chart positions: US #41, UK #14, NL #1, AUS #30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPlNrP9B2Zs

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #45. State Of Independence

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/19/12 at 5:55 am

Yet another song I did not realise was a cover, and very good for you to include Donna Summer in this sad time for pop music.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/12 at 6:33 am

Time to do another one...

State Of Independence

Original artist: Jon & Vangelis
Chart positions: dnc (1981) / UK #67 (1984 reissue)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v8Wden1LFs

Cover by: Donna Summer
Chart positions: US #41, UK #14, NL #1, AUS #30

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPlNrP9B2Zs

a very good song by Donna Summer.

Written By: whistledog on 05/20/12 at 4:09 pm

I know both versions, and as much as I like Jon and Vangelis, I have to go with the Donna Summer version.  I actually have both on 45 rpm record

Written By: Henk on 05/28/12 at 9:19 am

Moving on to a song we all know...right?

Tainted Love

Original artist: Gloria Jones
Year: 1965
Chart positions: dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKUjI_CbIY0

Cover by: Soft Cell
Chart positions: US #8, UK #1, NL #5, AUS #1, NZ #2

(Sorry for the poor video and audio)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEh5pWjcWCg

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #46. Tainted Love

Written By: karen on 05/28/12 at 10:37 am

I don't think I've ever heard the original before  :-\\  It's alright, fairly typical 'girl group' type song.

I think the Soft Cell cover is just so much better though.

Written By: whistledog on 05/28/12 at 10:47 am

I never knew Tainted Love was a cover until a few years ago, but like most, I am sticking with the Soft Cell version.  Since Soft Cell, there have been a few other covers that have become hits ...

There was a 2001 version by Marilyn Manson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-0MXklxHlQ

A 2006 version by Milk Inc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz562ZMxjRI

A 2007 version by Richard Grey
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wa5ANeGzbgI

Written By: nally on 05/28/12 at 12:43 pm

I don't think I've ever heard the original before  :-\\  It's alright, fairly typical 'girl group' type song.

I think the Soft Cell cover is just so much better though.

Me neither; for the longest time I never knew that Soft Cell's version was a cover. And I often hear that one segued together with "Where Did Our Love Go" (which I know is a cover of a Supremes song).

Written By: karen on 05/28/12 at 12:53 pm

Me neither; for the longest time I never knew that Soft Cell's version was a cover. And I often hear that one segued together with "Where Did Our Love Go" (which I know is a cover of a Supremes song).

That's the 12 inch version of Tainted Love.

Written By: nally on 05/28/12 at 12:55 pm

That's the 12 inch version of Tainted Love.

Right. And I think this includes the super-long mix which is nine minutes long.
The radio often plays a much shorter version of both songs together (including an abbreviated "Where Did Our Love Go").

And of course, Soft Cell's version is sampled in Rihanna's 2006 hit "SOS".

Written By: Paul on 05/28/12 at 1:38 pm

Gloria was, of course, driving the car which hit the tree, which killed the passenger...Marc Bolan...

'Tainted Love' was an example of Northern Soul and being from up north, another Marc (Almond) heard this in a nightclub specialising in Northern Soul tunes...the rest, as they say, is history...

I can live with either, but have to concede it's now Soft Cell's song...

Written By: Henk on 05/28/12 at 2:22 pm

Gloria was, of course, driving the car which hit the tree, which killed the passenger...Marc Bolan...

Oh wow... I didn't know that.

'Tainted Love' was an example of Northern Soul and being from up north, another Marc (Almond) heard this in a nightclub specialising in Northern Soul tunes...the rest, as they say, is history...

I can live with either, but have to concede it's now Soft Cell's song...

I think that's the highest appraisal you've ever given to a cover version in this thread. ;D ;) :D

I was sure you'd pick the original over the cover, though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/28/12 at 2:56 pm

I LOVE Tainted Love but prefer the Soft Cell version.

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/30/12 at 1:54 am

I feel like something incredible's really gonna happen here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gr_HDhXmDs

- DJ Dakeyne - Soft Cell / Tainted Love (Cell Out), 1987, DMC DJ remix service.

Let's have some asses wigglin', I want some perfection!

(I don't have the liverbrain capacity to source all the samples, but gimme a couple of days!)

Written By: Paul on 05/30/12 at 3:35 am

I think that's the highest appraisal you've ever given to a cover version in this thread. ;D ;) :D

See? I knew you'd pull one out eventually... ;)

Actually, it's been two...the previous entry ('State Of Independence') was far superior in its cover version, but I somehow missed that!  :-[

Written By: Howard on 05/30/12 at 6:56 am

Cat

Me Too.

Written By: Henk on 06/03/12 at 8:52 am

Unchain My Heart

Original artist: Ray Charles
Chart positions: US #9, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA_s3VbSHLA

Cover by: Joe Cocker
Chart positions: US #11 (Mainstream Rock), UK #46 (1987) / #17 (1992), NL #26

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pALWIj9ketA&ob=av2e

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #47. Unchain My Heart

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/03/12 at 9:38 am

Unchain My Heart

One cover I do know of, I prefer Ray Charles.

Written By: Howard on 06/03/12 at 4:09 pm

Unchain My Heart

I prefer the original.

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/12 at 7:27 pm

I like the Joe Cocker versio bestn.  I am always surprised that it never reached the mainstream in North America.  It never hit the Canadian 100 singles either.

Written By: Henk on 08/18/12 at 8:22 am

I should really update this topic more often.

Voices Carry

Original artis: 'Til Tuesday
Chart positions: US #8, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uejh-bHa4To

Cover by: Vitamin C
Year: 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRtMuVM6oc

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #48. Voices Carry

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/12 at 8:51 am

I grew up with the original 'Voices Carry'.
I remember there was a guy in the band 'Til Tuesday who looked like a woman, and it was one of the things they were best known for apart from Voices Carry.  lol

That Vitamin C version is great.  It would have made for a great single.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/18/12 at 9:00 am

I should really update this topic more often.

Voices Carry

Original artis: 'Til Tuesday
Chart positions: US #8, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uejh-bHa4To

Cover by: Vitamin C
Year: 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rRtMuVM6oc

Another new song for me, new artists too.

Written By: Henk on 08/18/12 at 9:30 am

I grew up with the original 'Voices Carry'.
I remember there was a guy in the band 'Til Tuesday who looked like a woman, and it was one of the things they were best known for apart from Voices Carry.  lol

That Vitamin C version is great.  It would have made for a great single.

I agree. I understand it was used in a movie - but truth be told, I'm not familiar with either version.

Another new song for me, new artists too.

Well, (almost) the same here. I only know Vitamin C (from her single 'Graduation'). Neither the artists nor the song had any success over here.

Written By: warped on 08/18/12 at 10:16 am

I agree. I understand it was used in a movie - but truth be told, I'm not familiar with either version.

Well, (almost) the same here. I only know Vitamin C (from her single 'Graduation'). Neither the artists nor the song had any success over here.

The "Vitamin C" version is new to me. Not bad. Nice.

Written By: nally on 08/18/12 at 12:49 pm

The "Vitamin C" version is new to me. Not bad. Nice.

No offense, but I personally prefer the original.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/18/12 at 1:14 pm

Voices Carry, one the few songs of the 80's that I liked. I thought Vitamin C did a great job, not too different
from the original to make it unreconizable but different enough to make it a newer, enjoyable song.

Written By: Howard on 08/18/12 at 7:49 pm

No offense, but I personally prefer the original.

Me too, Voices Carry is classic.

Written By: nally on 08/18/12 at 10:50 pm

Me too, Voices Carry is classic.

That's true, and even though it's the song that the band Til Tuesday is best known for, they did have one other hit, "What About Love":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLRwiLjZ0s4

Written By: Henk on 08/25/12 at 9:30 am

New weekend, new cover...

Well All Right

Original artist: Buddy Holly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5AnUctpQXI

And because I couldn't choose...

Cover by: Blind Faith
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDXu61ZXgWE

Cover by: Santana
Chart positions: US #69, UK dnc, NL #22

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Qd-rgNa8_Y

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #49. Well All Right

Written By: loki 13 on 08/25/12 at 10:21 am

Excellent choice Henk, I've always been partial to Blind Faith's version though both are great covers. With
either version this is one of the few examples where the cover is better than the original. Not that the original
isn't great in it's own right, I just feel Technology and style made the covers better.

Written By: Henk on 08/25/12 at 11:25 am

Excellent choice Henk, I've always been partial to Blind Faith's version though both are great covers. With
either version this is one of the few examples where the cover is better than the original. Not that the original
isn't great in it's own right, I just feel Technology and style made the covers better.

I'm glad you're enjoying my selection. :) I'll have to admit that I wasn't very familiar with this particular song, though.
The two cover versions aren't really that much different IMO, which might explain why both songs peaked at nearly the same spot in Dutch Top 40. Of all cover versions, these were the only two to make Dutch Top 40, BTW.

Written By: warped on 08/25/12 at 12:27 pm

I'm only familiar with the "Blind Faith" version, and (I don't say this often) I found the cover version better than the original.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/12 at 1:12 pm

You know Henk, I'm gonna have to choose Santana's version just because he put a funky beat to it.

Written By: Henk on 08/25/12 at 3:23 pm

So far everyone seems in agreement that the cover version (be it by Blind Faith or by Santana) beats the original. That must be a first.

Written By: Henk on 09/08/12 at 11:26 am

You And Your Sister

Original artist: Chris Bell
Chart positions: n/a

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-yvdIHOdxw

Cover by: This Mortal Coil
Year: 1991
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9z5KNmWopU

Written By: warped on 09/08/12 at 2:59 pm

You And Your Sister

Original artist: Chris Bell

I like the Chris Bell song. Folk/Pop.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #50. You And Your Sister

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/12 at 6:34 pm

I didn't know that was a cover.  I know the This Mortal Coil version.  I have their 'Blood' album on cassette.
I quite liked that original version

Written By: Howard on 09/09/12 at 7:29 am

The original version.

Written By: Henk on 09/10/12 at 1:33 pm

I prefer the cover version, but that may be due to the fact that I'm more familiar with that one.

I didn't know that was a cover. 

I think about 80% of their repertoire consists of cover versions.

Written By: whistledog on 09/10/12 at 6:05 pm

I prefer the cover version, but that may be due to the fact that I'm more familiar with that one.

I think about 80% of their repertoire consists of cover versions.

So in other words they are like a gothic version of UB40 ;D

Written By: Henk on 09/15/12 at 5:55 am

Atomic

Original artist: Blondie
Chart positions: US #39, UK #1, NL #29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW6OrdLkCLU

Cover by: Party Animals
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsGN3gT8SEo

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #51. Atomic

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/12 at 9:52 am

I'd never heard of that cover before, but being a fan of that style of music, I quite liked it.  The way that woman songs, it almost sounds like they sampled Debbie Harry's vocals and sped it up a bit. 

The original is my favourite Blondie song

Written By: Henk on 09/15/12 at 10:05 am

I'd never heard of that cover before, but being a fan of that style of music, I quite liked it.  The way that woman songs, it almost sounds like they sampled Debbie Harry's vocals and sped it up a bit. 

The original is my favourite Blondie song

Of all songs Party Animals recorded, this is probably my favorite. But it still doesn't beat the original.

Party Animals first three singles Have You Ever Been Mellow, Hava Naquila and Aquarius all went to #1 in Dutch Top 40.
But if you include Technohead's I Wanna Be A Hippy (same guys in the video!) it's actually four-in-a-row.

Written By: whistledog on 09/15/12 at 10:10 am

Of all songs Party Animals recorded, this is probably my favorite. But it still doesn't beat the original.

Party Animals first three singles Have You Ever Been Mellow, Hava Naquila and Aquarius all went to #1 in Dutch Top 40.
But if you include Technohead's I Wanna Be A Hippy (same guys in the video!) it's actually four-in-a-row.

A techno version of an Olivia Newton-John song.  That was unusual. 
I know that Technohead song quite well.  It's on the 33rd volume of the UK compilation series Now That's What I Call Music which is where I first heard it back in the late 90s

Written By: warped on 09/15/12 at 12:27 pm

I do remember when Blondie's "Atomic" came out on radio in 1980 (In Canada), wasn't very fond of it then. Probably why you didn't hear it often on the radio either. I appreciate it more now and prefer it to "Party Animals" version, which is the first time I heard their version.

Written By: Henk on 10/09/12 at 4:08 am

It's been a while...

Beautiful People

Original artist: Melanie
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeHtuwsUeRw

Cover by: Mathilde Santing
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL #21

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUsjfouU_mU

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #52. Beautiful People

Written By: Howard on 10/09/12 at 3:40 pm

I like Melanie's version.

Written By: warped on 10/09/12 at 6:21 pm

I like Melanie's version.

I like it better too. Although I know the artist (Melanie), I'm not familiar with this song.

Written By: whistledog on 10/09/12 at 6:39 pm

This is a song that I am not familiar with, but I do like Melanie. 
I really liked that cover song!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/12 at 1:07 pm

I am familiar with the song"Beautiful People" and always known it as from Melanie.

I like both tracks, Melanie is my kind of music, but the orchestration Mathilde Santing is charming and does good credit to the song.

Written By: Henk on 10/10/12 at 1:16 pm

As much as I appreciate Mathilde Santing's effort, I think it's impossible to top Melanie's original.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/12 at 2:39 pm

Hey Henk you have any disco covers by any chance?  ???

Written By: Henk on 10/10/12 at 4:11 pm

Hey Henk you have any disco covers by any chance?  ???

I'll see what I can do, Howard.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/12 at 7:34 am

I'll see what I can do, Howard.

Thank You so much, you're the man!  ;)

Written By: Henk on 10/14/12 at 9:27 am

Can't Take My Eyes Off You

Original artist: Frankie Valli
Chart positions: US #2, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzpWKAGvGdA

Cover by: Boys Town Gang
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #4, NL #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrmvlmmFuMY

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #53. Can't Take My Eyes Off You

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/12 at 9:35 am

Of course there has been many cover version of "Can't Take My Eyes Off you", I particularly remember the Andy Williams version which followed a year later, which I liked (a long with the Frankie Valli) and who can never forget "The Deerhunter".

Written By: loki 13 on 10/14/12 at 10:22 am

This is one song I can listen to by any artist but to me, nothing beats the original. As much as I liked this
song before, The Deer Hunter made me like it that much more.

Written By: warped on 10/14/12 at 12:51 pm

This is one song I can listen to by any artist but to me, nothing beats the original. As much as I liked this
song before, The Deer Hunter made me like it that much more.

Totally agree.

Written By: Howard on 10/14/12 at 2:20 pm

Can't Take My Eyes Off You

Original artist: Frankie Valli
Chart positions: US #2, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzpWKAGvGdA

Cover by: Boys Town Gang
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #4, NL #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrmvlmmFuMY

I'm gonna have to say both.

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/12 at 6:58 pm

BoysTown Gang.  LOVE IT!  I just picked up 'Just Dance 4' for PS3 and it's included.  I was super excited!

Pet Shop Boys also had a BIG hit version in 1991 done as a medley with a cover of U2's 'Where the Streets Have No Name'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt2j79pca7c

Lauryn Hill's 1998 version reached #4 in Canada and #45 on the US R&B chart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjG6Qtij5fs

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #54. Do Wah Diddy Diddy

Written By: Henk on 10/31/12 at 1:54 pm

Do Wah Diddy Diddy

Original artist: The Exciters
Chart positions: US #78, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-qrDpxUzY

Cover by: Dolly Dots
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0WsFLEaZKc

Written By: whistledog on 10/31/12 at 4:42 pm

I know that Dolly Dots version.  It never charted in Canada, but I still enjoy it alot!

The most recognizable version is the one from 1964 by Manfred Mann.  As a song itself though, I can't say as I have ever heard a bad version.

Written By: warped on 10/31/12 at 4:52 pm

I know that Dolly Dots version.  It never charted in Canada, but I still enjoy it alot!

The most recognizable version is the one from 1964 by Manfred Mann.  As a song itself though, I can't say as I have ever heard a bad version.

I like both versions that Henk posted, as well as the '64 Manfred Mann version.  Parts of the song just remind me a little of the "bubblegum early 70s music" (esp the Dolly Dots & Manfred Mann versions), but none of these 3 were recorded in the 70s.

Written By: Henk on 11/01/12 at 6:35 am

The most recognizable version is the one from 1964 by Manfred Mann.

I think "everybody" (including myself) knows the Manfred Mann version best - which is why I decided not to post it.

As a song itself though, I can't say as I have ever heard a bad version.

I was gonna say that it's impossible to ruin a good song, but then I though of this...

I like both versions that Henk posted, as well as the '64 Manfred Mann version.  Parts of the song just remind me a little of the "bubblegum early 70s music" (esp the Dolly Dots & Manfred Mann versions), but none of these 3 were recorded in the 70s.

I'm glad we all seem to like the cover version.

Dolly Dots were extremely popular in the 1980s. They even had their own tv show, and starred in a movie ("Dutch Treat") long before the Spice Girls ever did.

Written By: Paul on 11/01/12 at 6:52 am

The Exciters did the best version out of all those I've heard...

(Very unlucky group, as they missed out with 'Tell Him' in Britain...also better in this original version)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/01/12 at 11:10 am

Do Wah Diddy Diddy

Original artist: The Exciters
Chart positions: US #78, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S-qrDpxUzY

Cover by: Dolly Dots
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL #4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0WsFLEaZKc

The first video is blocked.  :-\\

Like so many others have said, I really prefer Manfred Mann-but to be fair, I haven't heard the Exciters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX8VRK3Yxrk

Cat

Written By: nally on 11/01/12 at 11:14 am

^ I remember that! :D

I think "everybody" (including myself) knows the Manfred Mann version best - which is why I decided not to post it.

Count me in; that's the only version I know too. That said, I didn't know it was a cover...

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #55. Everywhere

Written By: Henk on 11/17/12 at 11:57 am

And now for a really obscure cover...

Everywhere

Original artist: Fleetwood Mac
Chart positions: US #14, UK #4, NL #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKSmskT3fPQ

Cover by: Marcia Griffiths

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDVX7ICwe3Q

Written By: warped on 11/17/12 at 1:49 pm

And now for a really obscure cover...

Everywhere

Original artist: Fleetwood Mac
Chart positions: US #14, UK #4, NL #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKSmskT3fPQ

Cover by: Marcia Griffiths

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDVX7ICwe3Q

Cute reggae version, not bad.

For me, "Tango in the night" was one of the last great (or very good) albums ever made. 25-year anniversary this year.  :o
And I really like the song "Everywhere" from that album.

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/12 at 3:24 pm

Nothing can beat the original Everywhere, but I do like the Marcia Griffiths version.

The best cover version of Everywhere is the 2004 version by LnM Projekt featuring Bonnie Bailey which was a UK #35 hit in 2005.  I still listen to it all the time in my car!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owruZtqHw2Y

Written By: Henk on 11/18/12 at 9:22 am

Cute reggae version, not bad.

For me, "Tango in the night" was one of the last great (or very good) albums ever made. 25-year anniversary this year.  :o
And I really like the song "Everywhere" from that album.

Nothing can beat the original Everywhere, but I do like the Marcia Griffiths version.

I agree, nothing beats the original, but the reggae version isn't all bad.

The best cover version of Everywhere is the 2004 version by LnM Projekt featuring Bonnie Bailey which was a UK #35 hit in 2005.  I still listen to it all the time in my car!

Since they haven't used the entire song lyrics, I don't consider this a cover. I'd rather call it a remix.

FYI: I was going to post Everytime We Touch instead of Everywhere, but then I realized Cascada only used the choruses and rewrote the verses for their remake/remix of the Maggie Reilly Original. So...not a cover version in my book.

Written By: nally on 11/18/12 at 1:10 pm

I agree, nothing beats the original, but the reggae version isn't all bad.

Agree that nothing beats the original. Can't say I've ever heard any cover of it.

The only other song I know called "Everywhere" is an early 00's hit by Michelle Branch, which is of course a different song altogether.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #56. First Cut Is The Deepest

Written By: Henk on 12/12/12 at 9:24 am

First Cut Is The Deepest

Original artist: P.P. Arnold
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #18, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMqL7V7QrmI

Cover by: Rod Stewart
Chart positions (all 1977): US #21, UK #1, NL #3
(Note: in UK and NL, this was the B-side to I Don't Wanna Talk About It)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9pnRjLfVWc

Written By: warped on 12/12/12 at 12:36 pm

Nice Henk. I know both versions. My favorite version ( plug for CanCon  ;)  ) is this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRxBe24FkbE

Written By: Henk on 12/12/12 at 1:34 pm

Nice Henk. I know both versions. My favorite version ( plug for CanCon  ;)  ) is this one.

Fun fact:  of all versions of this song to be released as an "A" side of any single, Keith Hampshire's was the only one to chart in The Netherlands - although I must add it only reached bubbling under section. (Rod Stewart's version was a "B" side, and never got a mention in the charts)

Written By: nally on 12/12/12 at 5:17 pm

Sheryl Crow also covered the song in the 2000's; I am most familiar with her version.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/12 at 7:01 pm

I'm gonna say Rod Stewart

Written By: whistledog on 12/12/12 at 7:49 pm

Almost anyone I've ever talked with about 'The First Cut is the Deepest', everyone says it is Keith who has the best version.  I like Keith's version best as well 

Keith had the most successful version here in Canada, where it reached #1.  His version also made #70 in the US and I do believe it also reached the Top 40 in Australia

- Rod Stewart reached #21 in the US and #11 in Canada
- Sheryl Crow's version reached #14 in the US and #15 in Canada

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/12 at 7:52 pm

First Cut Is The Deepest

Original artist: P.P. Arnold
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #18, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMqL7V7QrmI

Cover by: Rod Stewart
Chart positions (all 1977): US #21, UK #1, NL #3
(Note: in UK and NL, this was the B-side to I Don't Wanna Talk About It)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9pnRjLfVWc

For me it will always be the original artist Cat Stevens.

Written By: Henk on 12/13/12 at 1:49 am

For me it will always be the original artist Cat Stevens.

Cat Stevens wrote it alright, but he wasn't the first to record it. The original performing artist is P.P. Arnold.

Written By: nally on 12/13/12 at 1:51 pm

Almost anyone I've ever talked with about 'The First Cut is the Deepest', everyone says it is Keith who has the best version.  I like Keith's version best as well 

Keith had the most successful version here in Canada, where it reached #1.  His version also made #70 in the US and I do believe it also reached the Top 40 in Australia

Keith... the same guy who sang "98.6"? I gotta check out his version of "First Cut..." sometime.

- Rod Stewart reached #21 in the US and #11 in Canada
- Sheryl Crow's version reached #14 in the US and #15 in Canada

Not bad...not bad at all...

Written By: warped on 12/13/12 at 2:33 pm

Keith... the same guy who sang "98.6"? I gotta check out his version of "First Cut..." sometime.

It's a different "Keith" than the one who sang "98.6."  The Canadian singer is "Keith Hampshire" . I posted the youtube version in post #375 of this thread.

Written By: nally on 12/13/12 at 3:12 pm

It's a different "Keith" than the one who sang "98.6."  The Canadian singer is "Keith Hampshire" . I posted the youtube version in post #375 of this thread.

Ah, thanks. When I saw the name Keith without a surname, I immediately assumed it was the "98.6" singer (whose actual given name wasn't even Keith). No worries.

Written By: warped on 12/13/12 at 3:16 pm

Ah, thanks. When I saw the name Keith without a surname, I immediately assumed it was the "98.6" singer (whose actual given name wasn't even Keith). No worries.

Sure. And I meant to say "the singer with the Canadian hit", not the Canadian singer. Think he's from UK.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #57. Get Ready

Written By: Henk on 12/31/12 at 5:44 am

On the brink of the new year... you better

Get Ready

Original artist: The Temptations
Chart positions: US #29, UK #10, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqZ-hDJHbQ0

Cover by: Rare Earth
Chart positions: US #4, UK dnc, NL #18

(Note: not much to watch here - just listen)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EikcDJppWbg

Written By: warped on 12/31/12 at 6:35 am

Ah yes "Get Ready". I know both versions here well. They both stand out as good songs. I prefer (slightly) the "Rare Earth" version. I say slightly because both versions are good and I tend to like long epics of the late 60s early 1970s  ;D

Written By: Henk on 12/31/12 at 6:55 am

Ah yes "Get Ready". I know both versions here well. They both stand out as good songs. I prefer (slightly) the "Rare Earth" version. I say slightly because both versions are good and I tend to like long epics of the late 60s early 1970s  ;D

Glad you like it. :) I was thinking the Rare Earth version would be right up your street - that's why I posted it!  ;)

Not sure which version I prefer myself. Think I'm going for the (abbreviated) Rare Earth version.

Written By: Howard on 12/31/12 at 7:17 am

I would say both too.

Written By: Paul on 01/02/13 at 9:07 am

Tempts' version for me, even though it missed out in Britain when first released...

Just to add insult to injury, here's what happened when SAW attacked it in the 80s... :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWitio_S7A

Written By: warped on 01/02/13 at 9:17 am

Tempts' version for me, even though it missed out in Britain when first released...

Just to add insult to injury, here's what happened when SAW attacked it in the 80s... :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWitio_S7A

Umm, I'll be nice and say I'm not fond of this version. ;D

Written By: Henk on 01/02/13 at 1:07 pm

Oh dear.

Mmmm...yes, think I'll leave it at that. ;)

Written By: nally on 01/02/13 at 5:10 pm

Ah yes "Get Ready". I know both versions here well.

As do I, as they were both big hits in the US.

Personally I opt for the original Temptations version (one of their best, IMO).

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #58. Happy Talk

Written By: Henk on 02/12/13 at 1:55 pm

Happy Talk

Original performance: by Juanita Hall
Year: 1949 (and onward)
(from the original stage and screen production of "South Pacific")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoaP0e2tFrM

Cover by: Captain Sensible
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #1, NL #47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF2ImyQjzyc

Written By: warped on 02/12/13 at 2:06 pm

I listened to both. Not sure which one I like better. Although I have heard some Captain Sensible songs before, I have not heard that one. I see it did not chart in the US. I don't think the average Canadian ever heard of the Captain Sensible song either.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/13 at 7:27 pm

I listened to both. Not sure which one I like better. Although I have heard some Captain Sensible songs before, I have not heard that one. I see it did not chart in the US. I don't think the average Canadian ever heard of the Captain Sensible song either.

Captain Sensible also had "Wot" in 1982.

Written By: Howard on 02/12/13 at 7:28 pm

Happy Talk

Original performance: by Juanita Hall
Year: 1949 (and onward)
(from the original stage and screen production of "South Pacific")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoaP0e2tFrM

Cover by: Captain Sensible
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #1, NL #47

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF2ImyQjzyc

not sure which version I like. ???

Written By: whistledog on 02/12/13 at 8:11 pm

I had no idea that Happy Talk was a cover.  The original is too bland.  I am more familiar with the Sensible version.

Captain Sensible never had a chart single here in Canada, or even in the US for that matter, but every December, I hear his wonderful 1984 song 'One Christmas Catalogue' on the radio alot and I love it!

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #59. I'm Gonna Love You Too

Written By: Henk on 02/17/13 at 10:05 am

I'm Gonna Love You Too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leVS9j9nAH4

Cover by: Blondie
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwE8_4Wv9JQ

Written By: warped on 02/17/13 at 11:23 am

From these two, my favorite is the Buddy Holly version.
The cover version I am most familiar with though, is from Terry Jacks (yes, the same guy who did "Seasons in the sun")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tie1CajPRdY

I really like Terry's version.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/13 at 12:55 pm

I'm Gonna Love You Too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leVS9j9nAH4

Cover by: Blondie
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwE8_4Wv9JQ

definitely Blondie.

Written By: whistledog on 02/17/13 at 7:27 pm

I like both Buddy Holly and Blonde versions, but the version I am most familiar with as well is the Terry Jacks version.  It made #7 in Canada back in 1973

Written By: warped on 02/20/13 at 12:45 pm

I like both Buddy Holly and Blonde versions, but the version I am most familiar with as well is the Terry Jacks version.  It made #7 in Canada back in 1973

I wonder if Terry Jacks' version of the song charted anywhere outside of Canada.

Written By: whistledog on 02/20/13 at 9:31 pm

I wonder if Terry Jacks' version of the song charted anywhere outside of Canada.

It reached #16 on Billboard's Bubbling Under Chart (aka US #116).  Other than that, I was not able to locate any chart info for other countries for it.
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=25619.0

Written By: Paul on 02/21/13 at 6:51 am

Also covered by The Hullaballoos back in 1964, known for their outrageously long blonde hairdos...

It's 'nothing' of a song though...no-one's the winner with this one...

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #60. Jive Talkin'

Written By: Henk on 02/23/13 at 12:06 pm

Jive Talkin'

Original artist: Bee Gees
Chart positions: US #1, UK #5, NL #23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBw25CrUS-o

Cover by: Boogie Box High
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #7, NL #6

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR2XFWcxskY

Written By: warped on 02/23/13 at 12:56 pm

Although I have hot heard it before, I actually like the cover version from 1987.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/13 at 7:50 pm

definitely Bee Gees, to be honest I can't stand the cover version.

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/13 at 8:05 pm

That's George Michael singing lead on the Boogie Box High version.  I really like it, but as good as it is, gotta go with the Bee Gees. 

Written By: Henk on 02/24/13 at 10:35 am

Although I have hot heard it before, I actually like the cover version from 1987.

definitely Bee Gees, to be honest I can't stand the cover version.

That's George Michael singing lead on the Boogie Box High version.  I really like it, but as good as it is, gotta go with the Bee Gees. 

Thanks for your replies. :)

To be honest, I think the original is nothing special to begin with. Why it made #1 in America is beyond me.
I hadn't heard the Boogie Box High cover in years, and now that I've had a listen again, I've concluded that they've added absolutely nothing to the original. If it hadn't been for the George Michael vocals, I think it would've bombed. The 1980's definitely weren't all fantastic... ;)

Written By: warped on 02/24/13 at 12:24 pm

Thanks for your replies. :)

To be honest, I think the original is nothing special to begin with. Why it made #1 in America is beyond me.

In my opinion, "Jive Talking" is not even among the top 3 songs from that (Main Course) Bee Gees album.

Written By: Paul on 02/24/13 at 3:13 pm

I hadn't heard the Boogie Box High cover in years, and now that I've had a listen again, I've concluded that they've added absolutely nothing to the original. If it hadn't been for the George Michael vocals, I think it would've bombed. The 1980's definitely weren't all fantastic... ;)

Familiarity breeds contempt with the original and the cover was just a shameless cash-in by GM's cousin, if I recall...

Still, I'll give it its due...must be the only disco song which has a 7/4 time signature lobbed in it!

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #61. Knock On Wood

Written By: Henk on 03/03/13 at 10:13 am

Knock On Wood

Original artist: Eddie Floyd
Chart positions: US #28, UK #19, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92NpzXXpQtg

Cover by: Amii Stewart
Chart positions: US #1, UK #6, NL #7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb3P96PlCNc

Written By: Henk on 03/03/13 at 10:19 am

Amii Stewart's is of course only one of many many cover versions of the song, but I think it was the most successful/popular one.
I'm still loving it, although it always reminds me of music classes in my high school days...and how our teacher would try and get us up to dance to it. Talk about awkward! ::)

Written By: Paul on 03/03/13 at 11:28 am

Amii Stewart's is of course only one of many many cover versions of the song, but I think it was the most successful/popular one.

Still fondly remembered today, probably as it was a million miles away from Eddie's version...

I'm still loving it, although it always reminds me of music classes in my high school days...and how our teacher would try and get us up to dance to it. Talk about awkward! ::)

Er...not sure if I can get that image out of my mind!

Written By: warped on 03/03/13 at 1:30 pm

Amii Stewart's version was popaular at out high school dances in grade 12.
Even though both versions are quite different, I don't know which one I like better. Must flip coin.

Written By: Howard on 03/03/13 at 2:25 pm

Knock On Wood

Amii Stewart cause she put some funk into the song. Eddie Floyd is ok.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/03/13 at 2:45 pm

Amii Stewart's version was popaular at out high school dances in grade 12.
Even though both versions are quite different, I don't know which one I like better. Must flip coin.

Her version was mine & my high school sweetheart's song.

Cat

Written By: nally on 03/03/13 at 5:33 pm

I know Amii Stewart's cover version is quite popular... but in the long run I actually prefer the original (Eddie Floyd), as I have heard it lots of times on oldies stations and it stands out to me as a classic.

Written By: whistledog on 03/03/13 at 7:59 pm

I enjoy both versions, but Amii gets my vote

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/13 at 2:55 am

Knock On Wood

It is Eddie Floyd for me.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #62. Lady Eleanor

Written By: Henk on 05/03/13 at 1:04 pm

Moving on to a slightly more obscure song (at least in North America, I guess)...

Lady Eleanor

Original artist: Lindisfarne
Chart positions: US #82, UK #3, NL #29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zny53R1cJE

Cover by: American Gypsy
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL #20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLppW7pz0No

Written By: warped on 05/03/13 at 1:39 pm

First I heard either version. I prefer "Lindisfarne's" version. I don't really like the other one.

Written By: Henk on 05/03/13 at 1:47 pm

First I heard either version. I prefer "Lindisfarne's" version. I don't really like the other one.

Yeah, like I said: it's probably quite obscure in Northern America.

I too prefer the original version. Can't say as I remember either version, but then again: I was very young at the time.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/03/13 at 3:25 pm

It is Lindisfarne's for me too.

Written By: whistledog on 05/03/13 at 6:14 pm

I know the Lindisfarne version quite well and I love it!  This is the first I've heard of the cover, and I liked it until that guy started singing.  I didn't like the way he sang it

The Lindisfarne version peaked at #68 in Canada in October of 1972

Written By: Howard on 05/03/13 at 8:01 pm

It is Lindisfarne's for me too.

same here.

Written By: gibbo on 05/03/13 at 9:16 pm

It's Lindisfarne for me as well.

.... and I always preferred Amii Stewart's Knock On Wood. Great disco version and filmclip.  However, I still really enjoyed Eddie Floyd's original... but it's a totally different vibe!

Written By: danootaandme on 05/05/13 at 5:39 pm

My name is Eleanor  :)

...............Lindisfarne 

Written By: gibbo on 05/05/13 at 9:14 pm

My name is Eleanor  :)

...............Lindisfarne

Okay ... I may have changed the spelling a tad. One of my favourite 60's tunes.
Eleanor, gee I think you're swell
And you really do me well
You're my pride and joy, et cetera
Eleanor, can I take the time
To ask you to speak your mind
Tell me that you love me better

Written By: danootaandme on 05/06/13 at 3:39 am

Okay ... I may have changed the spelling a tad. One of my favourite 60's tunes.
Eleanor, gee I think you're swell
And you really do me well
You're my pride and joy, et cetera
Eleanor, can I take the time
To ask you to speak your mind
Tell me that you love me better

I love you better.  Now I have to go pick up the rice in a church where a wedding has been. I live in a dream.

:) :)

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #63. Move Over Darling

Written By: Henk on 05/11/13 at 6:43 am

Move Over Darling

Original artist: Doris Day
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #8, NL #23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh3ZoUIeIFw

Cover by: Tracey Ullman
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #8, NL #13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOBsf6U8sbo

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/13 at 6:58 am

Move Over Darling

Both are good versions of the song, but I prefer Doris Day.

Written By: warped on 05/11/13 at 7:12 am

The Doris Day song is from the movie of the same name, I suppose. I have seen the film a few times.
Both songs are nice. I like Tracey Ullman's better.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/13 at 7:41 am

Move Over Darling

Original artist: Doris Day
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #8, NL #23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh3ZoUIeIFw

Cover by: Tracey Ullman
Chart positions: US dnc, UK #8, NL #13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOBsf6U8sbo

Tracey Ullman version.

Written By: gibbo on 05/11/13 at 8:04 pm

Liked Tracey's version ... but I am still partial to Calamity Jane's version!

Written By: whistledog on 05/12/13 at 6:22 am

Tracey Ullman.  I love her version.  In fact, her whole album You Broke My Heart in 17 Places is one of my all-time favourites!

Written By: Paul on 05/15/13 at 9:34 am

Doris all the way...though I must admit, Tracey's was the first version I'd heard...

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #64. Needles And Pins

Written By: Henk on 05/25/13 at 9:07 am

Needles And Pins

Original artist: Jackie DeShannon
Chart positions: US #84, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gXhzV4h3tc

Cover by: Smokie
Chart positions: US #68, UK #10, NL #8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7beP1eIeVNI

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/13 at 11:01 am

Jackie DeShannon is different, Smokie with the 70's style, I am so use The Searchers.

Written By: warped on 05/25/13 at 1:10 pm

Jackie DeShannon is different, Smokie with the 70's style, I am so use The Searchers.

Same here, I like the Searchers version. Out of the 2 here, I like Smokie's version better. I also like Stevie Nicks/Tom Petty's version in the 1980s.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/13 at 4:09 pm

Needles And Pins

Original artist: Jackie DeShannon
Chart positions: US #84, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gXhzV4h3tc

Cover by: Smokie
Chart positions: US #68, UK #10, NL #8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7beP1eIeVNI

Smokie's version.

Written By: whistledog on 05/25/13 at 5:44 pm

My favourite version of Needles and Pins was not a standalone version itself, but was the version heard as the last song (heard at 8:04 in the clip below) in the 1981 classic medley Back to the 60s (Part 2) by Tight Fit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsLG8zWw34I

That being said, I do like the Smokie version alot, but my favourite standalone version is the one from 1986 by Tom Petty and Stevie Nicks.  It was a live recording for Tom Petty's album Pack Up the Plantation, and though not widely remembered it seems, it did reach the US Top 40

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bio-2wiMmnw

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #65. One Way or Another

Written By: Henk on 06/02/13 at 8:58 am

One Way or Another

Chart positions: US #24, UK n/a, NL n/a, CAN #14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXewIR7Y7cc

Cover by: One Direction
Year: 2013
Chart positions: US #13, UK #1, NL #8, CAN #9, AUS #3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36mCEZzzQ3o

Written By: Henk on 06/02/13 at 9:01 am

OK, so One Direction's version is not really a cover - more of a remake/mash-up. But I just like to silence all those young folks who (still) think the song was specifically written for them. Because it is NOT. :P

Written By: nally on 06/02/13 at 1:14 pm

I only know the original version, of course... but I do not care to listen to the remake.

Written By: Howard on 06/02/13 at 2:55 pm

I only know the original version, of course... but I do not care to listen to the remake.

original wins out.

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/13 at 8:10 pm

The One Direction version is not bad for what it is.  What I liked is that the song (or songs I should say) are way before their time, which shows they can appreciate music that is older than they are.  That is respect right there!

That being said though, Blondie all the way!

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #66. Paranoid

Written By: Henk on 06/22/13 at 8:24 am

Paranoid

Original artist: Black Sabbath
Chart positions: US #61, UK #4, NL #2, GER #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZyVZFJGX5g

Cover by: Big Country
Year: 1993

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUDPIvdoX04

Written By: loki 13 on 06/22/13 at 6:03 pm

Even though Big Country did a pretty good job with this one even so much as to imitate Ozzy but I will
still stick with the original.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/13 at 7:24 pm

Paranoid

Original artist: Black Sabbath
Chart positions: US #61, UK #4, NL #2, GER #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZyVZFJGX5g

Cover by: Big Country
Year: 1993

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUDPIvdoX04

Black Sabbath

Written By: whistledog on 06/22/13 at 8:37 pm

I know the Big Country version oh so well and being a BIG fan of that group, I would pick it, but the Sabbath version is so legendary, I just can't do that to Ozzy

Written By: Paul on 06/23/13 at 4:44 am

Competent cover job by BC, b ut must give a nod in the direction of L.A.'s finest...The Dickies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c37GdAzgQo

If you're not aware, their main, if only trick was to take classic rock tunes and attack them at 100mph...a pretty strange choice here, as there's not a lot of difference speedwise from the original...

Written By: warped on 06/23/13 at 3:27 pm

"Paranoid" is my favorite Black Sabbath song. They did it so well. Big country's version is excellent and almost on the same level as Black Sabbath. It's an excellent cover.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #67. Running Bear

Written By: Henk on 08/30/13 at 3:15 pm

Running Bear

Original artist: Johnny Preston (with the Big Bopper and George Jones)
Year: 1959
Chart positions: US #1, UK #1, NL #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PfrpcqLyzY

Cover by: The Guess Who

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cnjIR7TBy4

Written By: warped on 08/30/13 at 3:45 pm

I prefer the original. I thought the piano's beat in the "Guess Who's" version was too loud compared to the rest of the instruments and Burton's vocals. It wrecks the song for me.

...and I'm a big "Guess Who" fan too. I like them.

Written By: whistledog on 08/30/13 at 5:40 pm

I prefer the original. I thought the piano's beat in the "Guess Who's" version was too loud compared to the rest of the instruments and Burton's vocals. It wrecks the song for me.

I was just gonna post about the piano in the Guess Who's version as well.  I too prefer the original

Written By: warped on 08/30/13 at 6:03 pm

I was just gonna post about the piano in the Guess Who's version as well.  I too prefer the original

Great minds....

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/30/13 at 11:56 pm

Cover by: One Direction
Year: 2013

I expected to be horrified, but you know, that wasn't half bad.  It took all the sexy out of the original version, but it was OK and stood on its own as a fun track.  If I have to grade it, it gets a solid C+ or B-, and I'm leaning to B- for it.  Very well-executed, modern sound, just lacking in the sexy of Blondie's original.  But I'm old, and back in the 1979 the idea of a woman being a stalker broke a lyrical mold in a way that... well, just doesn't apply today, regardless of the singers' genital configuration.  (Sung by a single guy, the song would be horribly creepy.  Sung by a group, they managed to make it work pretty well.)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/31/13 at 8:32 am

I much prefer Johnny Preston, the Guess Who's piano was too heavy for me.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #68. So Long, Marianne

Written By: Henk on 09/19/13 at 1:42 pm

So Long, Marianne

Original artist: Leonard Cohen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ61su9H5RU

Cover by: Ron Brandsteder & José
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL #11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_0fDE8Erkc

Written By: whistledog on 09/19/13 at 4:04 pm

I heard someone once say Leonard Cohen could sing the phone book.  I don't want to hear the phone book being sung lol  He writes good songs for others to sing.  I really liked that cover.  I had never heard of it before, but it's another inclusion for my growing list of 80s CANCON through song only

Written By: warped on 09/20/13 at 10:20 am

I heard someone once say Leonard Cohen could sing the phone book.  I don't want to hear the phone book being sung lol  He writes good songs for others to sing.  I really liked that cover.  I had never heard of it before, but it's another inclusion for my growing list of 80s CANCON through song only

I know this one, and I like the cover version. Have you ever heard Brian Hyland's version? I like it best. I couldn't find it on youtube otherwise I would have posted it.

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/13 at 5:26 pm

I know this one, and I like the cover version. Have you ever heard Brian Hyland's version? I like it best. I couldn't find it on youtube otherwise I would have posted it.

I know Hylands version indeed.  It is very good.

Written By: Paul on 09/23/13 at 5:27 am

I much prefer Johnny Preston, the Guess Who's piano was too heavy for me.

One of those songs that never really 'did it' for me, regardless of who sung it...

But do steer well clear of Tom Jones' godawful 70s version! (hurl)

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #69. This Is It

Written By: Henk on 03/08/14 at 5:26 am

It's been quite a while...but:

This Is It

Original artist: Kenny Loggins
Chart positions: US #11, UK dnc, NL #25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WflkuBweSYo

Cover by: Jim (Bakkum)
Year: 2004
Chart positions: US n/a, UK n/a, NL #37

Jim was the runner-up in the 2003 edition of Dutch Idols.
He still has a very successful career in musicals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06V3F-CoT8Q

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/14 at 6:57 am

I never would have thought a cover of 'This is It' existed.  It was catchy

Written By: Howard on 03/08/14 at 4:28 pm

most definitely the original, I can't stand listening to a new version.

Written By: whistledog on 03/08/14 at 4:59 pm

most definitely the original, I can't stand listening to a new version.

You don't like cover songs at all?

Written By: Howard on 03/08/14 at 6:12 pm

You don't like cover songs at all?

I never said I HATE cover songs  just as long as it's sung good.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #70. Under My Thumb

Written By: Henk on 08/11/14 at 1:11 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here we go again! :D

Under My Thumb

Original artist: The Rolling Stones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYYTLJ8YHi4

Cover by: Fast Radio
Chart positions: US dnc, UK dnc, NL #43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6e68H7ngJE

Written By: Howard on 08/11/14 at 2:34 pm

I'm not sure about this one, I like 80's electronic music but I prefer the original.

Written By: nally on 08/11/14 at 11:15 pm

I'm not sure about this one, I like 80's electronic music but I prefer the original.

I feel this way too...especially about many classic hits such as this one.

Written By: Henk on 08/11/14 at 11:35 pm

I feel this way too...especially about many classic hits such as this one.

I share your sentiments on this one. The Fast Radio version is the only version of the song that made it to our charts, though, and that is why I picked it.

Written By: whistledog on 08/12/14 at 9:08 am

That cover song is ok.  Under My Thumb is quite a legendary song here in Canada, but not for the Rolling Stones version,  In 1979, a group from Winnipeg called Streetheart released a version and in February of 1980, it peaked at #20 in Canada.  To this day, it is still heard on the radio from time to time ...

ogGFzJlRu1Y

An interesting bit of trivia about this song:  The drummer seen in the music video is Matt Frenette.  He left the group shortly after this was released, to join a new band called Loverboy.  As this song rose up the charts in Canada, Loverboy were in the studio working on what would become their famous 1980 self-titled debut album

Written By: Henk on 08/12/14 at 2:04 pm

That cover song is ok.  Under My Thumb is quite a legendary song here in Canada, but not for the Rolling Stones version,  In 1979, a group from Winnipeg called Streetheart released a version and in February of 1980, it peaked at #20 in Canada.  To this day, it is still heard on the radio from time to time ...

Definitely an interesting version.
I'm usually not very fond of these spun-out (cover) versions with endless instrumental solos, but in this case I quite like the result. In fact, I think I prefer the instrumental break over the vocal parts!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/14 at 6:59 am

I am more used to the Wayne Gibson cover from 1974, but I do much prefer the original by The Rolling Stones

Written By: Paul on 08/17/14 at 1:11 pm

I am more used to the Wayne Gibson cover from 1974, but I do much prefer the original by The Rolling Stones

That version (although charted in 1974) actually dates from 1966 when the RS original was released on their 'Aftermath' LP. It only charted after all that time because it was seemingly classified as a 'Northern Soul' record, when Northern Soul was all the rage...me? I quite like it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/14 at 2:03 pm

That version (although charted in 1974) actually dates from 1966 when the RS original was released on their 'Aftermath' LP. It only charted after all that time because it was seemingly classified as a 'Northern Soul' record, when Northern Soul was all the rage...me? I quite like it!
When typing the above I was thinking it came from the 60's.

Written By: Paul on 08/18/14 at 4:20 am

When typing the above I was thinking it came from the 60's.

I do believe that version was the first time I got acquainted with the song - never knew it was a Rolling Stones cover (well, at the tender age of 7, I don't suppose I would have!)

Written By: Henk on 08/19/14 at 1:33 pm

Thanks for keeping this thread alive, guys! :) It's time to move on though...

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #71. La Vie en Rose

Written By: Henk on 08/19/14 at 1:48 pm

La Vie en Rose

Original artist: Marianne Michel
Year: 1945

Though to many, Edith Piaf would be the name associated with this song,
Marianne Michel was actually the first to record it.
Edith Piaf had written the lyrics to the song, and she released her own immortal version two years later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZQxmsm1uk

Cover by: Grace Jones
Chart positions: US #10 (Dance Music/Club Play Singles), UK #12 (1986), NL #3

Strictly speaking, not a cover. It's more of a remixed and totally reworked version
of the chanson - almost beyond recognition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1IYUvrn8gk

Written By: Howard on 08/19/14 at 1:50 pm

I think I'll choose Grace Jones.

Written By: Henk on 08/19/14 at 2:02 pm

I think I'll choose Grace Jones.

Seriously..?  :-\\ She's like 66 right now!

(Still better than Marianne Michel, who I think is no longer with us)

But all joking aside: I prefer the Edith Piaf version.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/14 at 2:18 pm

Seriously..?  :-\\ She's like 66 right now!

(Still better than Marianne Michel, who I think is no longer with us)

But all joking aside: I prefer the Edith Piaf version.

I like songs when they're danceable.

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #72. What's A Matter Baby

Written By: Henk on 09/06/14 at 9:38 am

What's A Matter Baby

Original artist: Timi Yuro
Year: 1962
Chart positions: US #12, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjTQRscacs

Cover by: Ellen Foley
Chart positions: US #92, UK dnc, NL #7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADkFqOjtP0k

Subject: Re: Henk's Covers Corner - #72. What's A Matter Baby

Written By: Howard on 09/06/14 at 1:25 pm

What's A Matter Baby

Original artist: Timi Yuro
Year: 1962
Chart positions: US #12, UK dnc, NL dnc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qjTQRscacs

Cover by: Ellen Foley
Chart positions: US #92, UK dnc, NL #7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADkFqOjtP0k

I like the original.

Check for new replies or respond here...