inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bad TV show spin-offs

Written By: Frank on 07/13/10 at 6:57 pm

I really enjoyed watching All in the Family back in the 70s, and it had some successful spin--offs ( The Jeffersons, Maude, and then Good times was a spin-off from Maude), but it also had "Gloria" as a spin-off, which wasn't the greatest show ever.

"Phyllis" was another poor spin-off (of Mary Tyler Moore), whereas "Rhoda" will mildly successful .

"Joanie Loves Chachi" was another bad one ( From Happy Days). Oddly enough, Happy days produced 2 successful spin-offs, "Laverne and Shirley" and "Mork and Mindy"

In these cases, I feel the main character was just not strong enough to carry the show.  "After MASH" was another one that didn't work for me.

Anymore to add to the list?

Subject: Re: Bad TV show spin-offs

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/10 at 8:32 pm

Joey. . . You know from friends? That didn't last long. I went to a few tapings. It wasn't great but I'd've watched it longer.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/13/10 at 8:50 pm

Golden Palace, the spinoff of the Golden Girls.

Written By: Mr. Bump on 07/13/10 at 8:58 pm

"Josie & The Pussycats in Outer Space" (though the cartoon wasn't true to the comics, but was still entertaining despite that it turned into a Scooby clone in animated form)

Any Scooby & Flintstones spin-off, especially that Scooby cartoons are still being made  >:(

Written By: Mr. Bump on 07/13/10 at 8:59 pm

"Josie & The Pussycats in Outer Space" (though the cartoon wasn't true to the comics, but was still entertaining despite that it turned into a Scooby clone in animated form)

I meant cartoons weren't true to the comics.

Written By: widget on 07/13/10 at 11:49 pm

Golden Palace, the spinoff of the Golden Girls.

Yo.... Don Cheadle was in that!

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/10 at 8:37 am

Beverly Hills Buntz starring Dennis Franz.  It was a good idea to give Hill Street Blues a spin-off, but this?  Steven Bochco was out of his mind lol

Living Dolls starring Leah Remini.  It was a spin-off from Who's the Boss that focused on Samantha's friend Charlie from Brooklyn and her rise to be a model.

Richie Brockelman, Private Eye.  Did Richie really deserve his own series?  I mean he was great in his recurring role on The Rockford Files, but not really good on his own.  Luckily, it didn't hurt Dennis Dugan's career.  He's made a great career as a film director.

Written By: Frank on 07/14/10 at 11:02 am

Joey. . . You know from friends? That didn't last long. I went to a few tapings. It wasn't great but I'd've watched it longer.

I watched Joey a little. I watched it coz of Lucy Liu  ;)

Richie Brockelman, Private Eye.  Did Richie really deserve his own series?  I mean he was great in his recurring role on The Rockford Files, but not really good on his own.  Luckily, it didn't hurt Dennis Dugan's career.  He's made a great career as a film director.

Naw, I don't think Dennis Dugan deserved his own series, but he had that 'Aw shucks' innocent kid look back then.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/14/10 at 11:37 am

There was a spin-off of Happy Days called Blanskys Beauties. Anyone remember that one? No? Really? Actually, I'm not surprised. It was so bad that it only lasted a total of 13 episodes. (I'm surprised it lasted THAT long.)

Oh, another one was Archie's Place (after they killed off Edith). They should have quit while they were ahead.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 07/14/10 at 2:06 pm

There was a spin-off of Happy Days called Blanskys Beauties. Anyone remember that one? No? Really? Actually, I'm not surprised. It was so bad that it only lasted a total of 13 episodes. (I'm surprised it lasted THAT long.)

Oh, another one was Archie's Place (after they killed off Edith). They should have quit while they were ahead.

Cat

Archie Bunker's Place wasn't really a spin-off.  When Carol O'Connor gained the rights to 'All in the Family', he just changed the name of the show.  It wasn't a great show, but it did last 4 seasons :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/10 at 1:38 am

Archie Bunker's Place wasn't really a spin-off.  When Carol O'Connor gained the rights to 'All in the Family', he just changed the name of the show.  It wasn't a great show, but it did last 4 seasons :o

I blamed the lazy writers.  That was before I learned it was because Carroll O'Connor got too much control of the show.  I lost a little bit of respect for CO'C right there!
:(

Written By: Lindee on 07/15/10 at 4:43 pm

Sandford Arms was a spinoff of Sanford & Son after Redd Foxx  and Demond Wilson left the show.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/10 at 8:26 pm

Sandford Arms was a spinoff of Sanford & Son after Redd Foxx  and Demond Wilson left the show.

And none of those sit-coms has been in syndication on TV Land or Nick at Night (as far as I know).  Sanford & Son series is run every year!

I felt kind of sorry for (of all people) Redd Foxx.  He got in a lot of trouble with the IRS and had to hide out in a luxury hotel in Vegas for 25 years!  Nothing he did after Sanford & Son had much success.  His early stand-up comedy is legendary and sought by comedy buffs.  Redd Foxx died in 1991 a heart attack.  Imagine that, The Big One!
:o

Whitman Mayo filled in for Foxx when Foxx was fighting over his contract or on a bender.  Mayo as "Grady" was a discrete character on the program.  He had his own shtick, which kept the show going numerous times. 

In one of the sequels, the character Rollo goes into business with Fred.  They wanted a surrogate for Lamont.  It blew the storyline.  Fred hated Rollo's guts!  The business would have been five of these chop side yo head!!
::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/10 at 10:49 am

And none of those sit-coms has been in syndication on TV Land or Nick at Night (as far as I know).  Sanford & Son series is run every year!

I felt kind of sorry for (of all people) Redd Foxx.  He got in a lot of trouble with the IRS and had to hide out in a luxury hotel in Vegas for 25 years!  Nothing he did after Sanford & Son had much success.  His early stand-up comedy is legendary and sought by comedy buffs.  Redd Foxx died in 1991 a heart attack.  Imagine that, The Big One!
:o

Whitman Mayo filled in for Foxx when Foxx was fighting over his contract or on a bender.   Mayo as "Grady" was a discrete character on the program.  He had his own shtick, which kept the show going numerous times. 

In one of the sequels, the character Rollo goes into business with Fred.  They wanted a surrogate for Lamont.  It blew the storyline.  Fred hated Rollo's guts!  The business would have been five of these chop side yo head!!

I thought his variety show was really good. I loved it.

Cat

Written By: slacker on 07/16/10 at 11:46 am

I really liked Are you Being Served?
and  Are you Being Served? Again wasn't bad either.  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 07/16/10 at 12:17 pm

Remember 'Billy'?

When Howard Hessman left 'Head of the Class', Billy Connolly was brought in as the foreign teacher for the 5th and final season, and got the spin off that basically was about Billy trying to start a new life in America.

Billy Connolly is a fine comedian, but I was not a fan of the show at the time because I didn't like change.  I don't think I was alone on that as Billy got cancelled after not even 1 season.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/10 at 1:34 pm

Remember 'Billy'?

When Howard Hessman left 'Head of the Class', Billy Connolly was brought in as the foreign teacher for the 5th and final season, and got the spin off that basically was about Billy trying to start a new life in America.

Billy Connolly is a fine comedian, but I was not a fan of the show at the time because I didn't like change.  I don't think I was alone on that as Billy got cancelled after not even 1 season.

Believe it or not, I do remember that show. I like Billy Connolly which is why I watched it. Didn't realize that was a Head of the Class spin-off because I never really watched Head of the Class (caught it from time to time but never got into it).

Other spin-offs that shouldn't have happened were "Saved By The Bell: A New Class" and "What's Happening Now."

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/10 at 9:38 am

Believe it or not, I do remember that show. I like Billy Connolly which is why I watched it. Didn't realize that was a Head of the Class spin-off because I never really watched Head of the Class (caught it from time to time but never got into it).

Other spin-offs that shouldn't have happened were "Saved By The Bell: A New Class" and "What's Happening Now."

Cat

The New Class wasn't bad, but would have been better had it not been branded as Saved by the Bell

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/17/10 at 8:14 pm

I thought his variety show was really good. I loved it.

Cat

I always saw Sanford & Son as a vehicle for Redd Foxx's comedic presence, which was great for a stage routine.  He was up there with Richard Pryor in the stuff your parents didn't want you to see!  The problem wasn't Foxx so much as the networks flogging a dead horse with the Sanford franchise.

Demond Wilson (Lamont) quit acting for the ministry in the '80s.  He's now running around warning everybody about the dangers of New Age beliefs.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tool.gif

Written By: whistledog on 07/17/10 at 10:41 pm

Demond Wilson (Lamont) quit acting for the ministry in the '80s.  He's now running around warning everybody about the dangers of New Age beliefs.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tool.gif

That big dummy :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/10 at 1:15 am

That big dummy :D

I would be down with him finding the Lord and becoming a man of the Cloth.  What annoys me is the way these guys are always on about the evils of yoga and paganism.  How many yogis OR pagans started wars in the past hundred years?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/18/10 at 11:56 am

I would be down with him finding the Lord and becoming a man of the Cloth.  What annoys me is the way these guys are always on about the evils of yoga and paganism.  How many yogis OR pagans started wars in the past hundred years?

As a Pagan, I hear ya. But that is another thread.  ;)

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/10 at 2:12 am

How many seasons did "Still The Beaver" last? 

They actually reassembled much of the cast only 25 years older.  So you can see Jerry Mathers and Tony Dow as middle aged men.

That was good for about five minutes...but an entire series?
:D

Written By: whistledog on 07/19/10 at 9:14 am

Long enough to be considered a hit.  I used to watch that one.

Written By: snozberries on 07/19/10 at 9:35 am

They actually reassembled much of the cast only 25 years older.  So you can see Jerry Mathers and Tony Dow as middle aged men.

That was good for about five minutes...but an entire series?
:D

for about 101 eps....

I enjoyed it. It was nostalgic and yet it served it's purpose....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/10 at 1:03 pm

Don't know which one was worse:

-The Brady Kids
-The Brady Bunch Hour

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/19/10 at 2:07 pm

Don't know which one was worse:

-The Brady Kids
-The Brady Bunch Hour

Cat

um... the Bradys (1990)... hands down  it was a TV movie and 4 one hour dramatic episodes that followed The Brady family into the 90's.

from tv.com:

CBS attempted once again to bring the Bradys back. In 1990, Schwartz was asked to write three 2-hour movies related to the bunch, and this ultimately turned into a 2-hour movie with four 1-hour episodes to follow. Maureen McCormick (Marcia) did not return for this series. Her role was recast with… More Leah Ayres. This show was placed in the Friday night 8 o'clock time-slot, which Schwartz believes was its doom. He felt that dealing with the adult Bradys and their 90'ish problems was too grown-up for the time-slot and that it may have fared better an hour later. Thus explains its quick cancellation

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/10 at 2:10 pm

um... the Bradys (1990)... hands down   it was a TV movie and 4 one hour dramatic episodes that followed The Brady family into the 90's.

from tv.com:

CBS attempted once again to bring the Bradys back. In 1990, Schwartz was asked to write three 2-hour movies related to the bunch, and this ultimately turned into a 2-hour movie with four 1-hour episodes to follow. Maureen McCormick (Marcia) did not return for this series. Her role was recast with… More Leah Ayres. This show was placed in the Friday night 8 o'clock time-slot, which Schwartz believes was its doom. He felt that dealing with the adult Bradys and their 90'ish problems was too grown-up for the time-slot and that it may have fared better an hour later. Thus explains its quick cancellation

Yeah, and then there was The Brady Brides. Followed by a couple of movies.

Man, they wouldn't let the Brady's die would they?  ::)

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/10 at 5:13 pm

"Enos" (CBS, 1980-1981).  A "Dukes of Hazzard" spin-off in which Enos Strate, deputy sheriff of Hazzard County, gets a job as an L.A. cop. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enos_%28TV_series%29

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/19/10 at 5:22 pm

"Enos" (CBS, 1980-1981).  A "Dukes of Hazzard" spin-off in which Enos Strate, deputy sheriff of Hazzard County, gets a job as an L.A. cop. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enos_%28TV_series%29

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

Also "The Dukes"  another cartoon.  8-P

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/19/10 at 7:48 pm

Also "The Dukes"  another cartoon.  8-P

Cat

Were you a fan of the Star Trek cartoon series in the seventies?
???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/20/10 at 3:41 pm

???

Nope. I wasn't even a fan of the original Star Trek until the late 70s. I remember my father & brother watching it when if first aired in the 60s and I hated it. I just didn't understand it.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/10 at 9:51 pm

Nope. I wasn't even a fan of the original Star Trek until the late 70s. I remember my father & brother watching it when if first aired in the 60s and I hated it. I just didn't understand it.

Cat

I didn't even know there had been a cartoon series of it until I was an adult.  It didn't get syndicated, at least not in Boston.  I liked the classic Star Trek reruns but I was never a Trekkie.  I just thought it was a campy old show.  I thought it was great they brought the franchise back by popular demand in 1987.  "Star Trek: The New Generation."  My first impression of it was: Everybody's Mr. Spock!

I grock Spock!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_colors.gif

Written By: Frank on 07/23/10 at 12:48 am

???

I watched the Star Trek cartoon in the 70s. Nothing special. It kept the trekkies occupied for awhile. 

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/10 at 7:36 am

Anyone remember The Tortelli's?

We loved to hate Nick Tortelli on Cheers, but he wasn't likable enough to make this last a full season.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/23/10 at 12:00 pm

Anyone remember The Tortelli's?

We loved to hate Nick Tortelli on Cheers, but he wasn't likable enough to make this last a full season.

Dan Hedaya is a great actor.  There's something of Nick Tortelli in everything he does from "The Adams Family" to "A Civil Action."  Jean Kasem really is Loretta Tortelli!

I loved the show, but I could see it wasn't going to last for the reason you mentioned.  The Tortellis were peripheral characters.  It's the same as if they got Roger Rees to do a series called "Colcord" about the screwball misadventures of millionaire extraordinaire Robin Colcord!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/10 at 12:36 pm

Flo from Alice. I loved the character and Polly Holiday was GREAT but the show sucked-and of course Alice went downhill, too because Flo & Mel (and Vera) were the main reasons why the show did great. (Hated Linda Lavin.)

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/10 at 5:17 pm

My picks are.....

10) Joanie Loves Chachi

9) That 80's Show

8)  After M*A*S*H

7)  The Tortellis

6)  Chipmunks go to the Movies

5)  Pinky, Elmyra & the Brain

4)  The Apprentice: Martha Stewart

3)  The Bachelorette

2)  Galactica 1980

and the winners?

1)  Enterprise,

Baywatch Hawaii,

Baywatch Nights

The Jay Leno Show

Mama's Family

Filmation's Ghostbusters

Golden Palace

Saved by the Bell: The New Class

Saved by the Bell: The College Years

Knight Rider 2000

Knight Rider 2010       

The Munsters Today

and finally......

Joey

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/26/10 at 1:04 am

Flo from Alice. I loved the character and Polly Holiday was GREAT but the show sucked-and of course Alice went downhill, too because Flo & Mel (and Vera) were the main reasons why the show did great. (Hated Linda Lavin.)

Cat

The movie "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" (1974) with Ellen Burstyn and Kris Kirstofferson was great.  It was scary and sad sometimes, but that's what made it such a wonderful film.  It's like Martin Scorsese versus The Lifetime channel!
:P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/10 at 11:29 am

The movie "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" (1974) with Ellen Burstyn and Kris Kirstofferson was great.  It was scary and sad sometimes, but that's what made it such a wonderful film.  It's like Martin Scorsese versus The Lifetime channel!
:P

I saw the movie A LONG time ago and recall that I wasn't impressed with it. I guess because I was expecting it to be a comedy like the show. Maybe I should check it out again.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...