inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's the definition of 'young adult'?

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/10 at 11:30 pm

Does anyone know? Is there even an official definition?

I've always thought 'young adult' was about 18 to 30. But I've also heard it was 18 to 40.  8)

Can you all fill me in?

Subject: Re: What's the definition of 'young adult'?

Written By: nally on 08/31/10 at 11:33 pm

I always figured it to be defined as someone from 18 to 39 (iow, late teens, 20s, and 30s). I kinda know this from having taken part in "young adult" activities (mostly church-related) in the Los Angeles area the past several years. But occasionally, some folks in their early 40s also show up to these.

Written By: ADH13 on 08/31/10 at 11:35 pm

I've always taken it to be more like 17-21.

In the "Young Adult" sections of book stores, you tend to see things that are geared toward high school aged people.

I guess I consider it somewhere between teeny-bopper and adult.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/10 at 11:37 pm

I always figured it to be defined as someone from 18 to 39 (iow, late teens, 20s, and 30s). I kinda know this from having taken part in "young adult" activities (mostly church-related) in the Los Angeles area the past several years. But occasionally, some folks in their early 40s also show up to these.

Sometimes being only 21 I forget that people over 40 are adults!  ;D

Wow, Los Angeles, sounds fun.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/31/10 at 11:41 pm

In the "Young Adult" sections of book stores, you tend to see things that are geared toward high school aged people.

Most people when I ask them when middle age starts, most will say 40 and I agree 100%.

But when I ask about 'young adult', I get a varied and confusing mix of responses.

Written By: nally on 08/31/10 at 11:42 pm

Sometimes being only 21 I forget that people over 40 are adults!  ;D

Wow, Los Angeles, sounds fun.

Yep, I'm now 30, so I'm probably halfway through my true "young adulthood".

Written By: ADH13 on 08/31/10 at 11:44 pm

I always figured it to be defined as someone from 18 to 39

I like your answer, it means I have one more year!!  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/10 at 11:31 am

I was thinking something similar. Only I would say from 16-23.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 09/01/10 at 12:40 pm

I was thinking something similar. Only I would say from 16-23.

Cat

If I were to make up my own rules I would say that young adult was either 18 to 25 or 18 to 30. But I think 18 to 25 is more appropriate because it feels weird calling a 28 year old a young adult. So I guess my definition would be 18 to 25.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/10 at 12:45 pm

An adult that has not grown up yet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/01/10 at 1:13 pm

An adult that has not grown up yet.

In that case, it could be someone in their 50s or 60s.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Emman on 09/01/10 at 1:17 pm

20 to 40 years old. Middle age 40 to 60-65 years old

18 year old is still an adolescent. It always seems weird to me to call a "teenager" an adult even though it is the legal age.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/01/10 at 4:20 pm

Back in the olden days a young adult was pretty much a teen, a stretch would be the early twenties. 

Written By: joeman on 09/01/10 at 10:13 pm

Depends now since humans are living much longer.  That being said, young adult might change to 18-49, with 50 being middle age if the human population on average lives to 100.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/01/10 at 11:22 pm

Depends now since humans are living much longer.  That being said, young adult might change to 18-49, with 50 being middle age if the human population on average lives to 100.

It's interesting that you mention this. The average life expectancy in America in 2010 is about 78. It'll be approximately at least another 40 years before it reaches 100 I think.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 12:04 am

I remember the lyric from a Bryan Ferry song:

"We're too young to reason, too grown-up to dream."

:-\\

Written By: Brian06 on 09/02/10 at 12:26 am

Call me skeptical but I think we'll hit a wall this century on increasing life expectancy, people who were in their 40s were never old but because of disease a lot of especially poorer people would die early in life and infant mortality was the biggest factor that drove down life expectancy numbers before the 20th century. A lot of people just look at the number and don't read into it. Like right now the life expectancy in many African countries is only in the 40s even now that DOES NOT mean that a 40 year old is a senior citizen even there, it means mostly they have high infant mortality rates. We've gotten to the point where we can now expect to live a full life so we're probably not going too go too much beyond that, though many have lived to 100 so that's probably doable as an average one day. One thing that's been consistent is the oldest people alive are usually in their 110s so that's probably the max. My ultimate point is I don't believe that the human life cycle has changed at all. We will never be immortal however much that may suck.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/10 at 12:34 am

Call me skeptical but I think we'll hit a wall this century on increasing life expectancy, people who were in their 40s were never old but because of disease a lot of especially poorer people would die early in life and infant mortality was the biggest factor that drove down life expectancy numbers before the 20th century. A lot of people just look at the number and don't read into it. Like right now the life expectancy in many African countries is only in the 40s even now that DOES NOT mean that a 40 year old is a senior citizen even there, it means mostly they have high infant mortality rates. We've gotten to the point where we can now expect to live a full life so we're probably not going too go too much beyond that, though many have lived to 100 so that's probably doable as an average one day. One thing that's been consistent is the oldest people alive are usually in their 110s so that's probably the max. My ultimate point is I don't believe that the human life cycle has changed at all. We will never be immortal however much that may suck.

Good points. I think it's our destiny to die. Nature (or God, if you believe in God) never lets anything take power or control over the land forever. That's just the way it is. I mean, look at the dinosaurs!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 12:34 am

We have also lost our rites of passage.  What do we have?

Getting your driver's license?
Going to the prom?
Turning 21 and getting plastered at a strip joint?

Those aren't rites of passage!

Do you know what youth in Indonesian cultures had to do?  

Kill a crocodile.  

Now that's a rite of passage!
:o

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/10 at 12:35 am

I remember the lyric from a Bryan Ferry song:

"We're too young to reason, too grown-up to dream."

:-\\

Maxwell, that's beautiful.  :\'(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 12:52 am

Maxwell, that's beautiful.  :\'(

Bryan Ferry (former Roxy Music lead singer), "Slave to Love," hit single from the "Boys & Girls" album (1985), also featured in the popular film "9½ Weeks."  The movie is about the S&M lifestyle.  The song is not.

Steer clear of the Tony Hadley version.

Written By: joeman on 09/02/10 at 10:57 pm

I believe we still have one WWI veteran that is still alive.  Now that is amazing imo.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 11:01 pm

I believe we still have one WWI veteran that is still alive.  Now that is amazing imo.

He'd be about 115.  Maybe 110 if he told outrageous lies about his age and Uncle Sam believed him.  It happened from time to time. 

Now is this veteran American, British, French, or (who was on the other side?) Hun.

:D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/03/10 at 1:34 am

They'd have to be 21 to be drafted. I think the age of being drafted wasn't changed to 18 until WWII.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/03/10 at 4:01 am

They'd have to be 21 to be drafted. I think the age of being drafted wasn't changed to 18 until WWII.

There were some who lied and enlisted as young as 15.  In those days if you looked a bit older you could lie your way in, and recruiters would turn a blind eye.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/10 at 11:58 am

It was in 1940 when they actually changed the draft age. It was during Viet Nam when the issue really came to the surface.  Because of that, they had to lower the voting age so they passed the 26th Amendment in 1971. If you listen to the song "Eve of Destruction" there is a line that says, "You're old enough to kill, but not for votin'."

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/10 at 12:46 pm

^  That's why some anti-war pundits and pols wanted to bring back the draft.  Pique the general public's interest in the war a little more.  When they're going to make you or your kid go to the frontlines, enthusiasm for the conflict tends to wane. 

I was still against the idea.  As with Vietnam, the wealthy families would get their kids student deferments or a long-term stay in Canada while the poor folks get conscripted and sent to choke in the desert heat.
::)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/05/10 at 4:04 pm

It was in 1940 when they actually changed the draft age. It was during Viet Nam when the issue really came to the surface.  Because of that, they had to lower the voting age so they passed the 26th Amendment in 1971. If you listen to the song "Eve of Destruction" there is a line that says, "You're old enough to kill, but not for votin'."

Of course, that only led to the even more bewildering situation we have today:

"You think he's gonna be drafting 21-year-olds?
No, man, they're gonna be drafting 18- and 19-year-olds!
But you can't buy beer.
You can get married and screw yourself up real good.
But you can't buy beer.
You can charge eight million dollars on the Mastercharge,
But you can't buy beer.
You can vote for one fool or another. (emphasis in original song)
But you can't buy beer."
          - Mojo Nixon, Burn Down The Malls, 1986.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/10 at 1:19 am

Of course, that only led to the even more bewildering situation we have today:

"You think he's gonna be drafting 21-year-olds?
No, man, they're gonna be drafting 18- and 19-year-olds!
But you can't buy beer.
You can get married and screw yourself up real good.
But you can't buy beer.
You can charge eight million dollars on the Mastercharge,
But you can't buy beer.
You can vote for one fool or another. (emphasis in original song)
But you can't buy beer."
           - Mojo Nixon, Burn Down The Malls, 1986.

Karma for Mojo!  Or, Mojo for Karma!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/thumbsup.gif

Written By: Starde on 09/06/10 at 8:11 pm

Hmm. When ever I hear the term "young adult", I tend to think of anyone between 18 years old to early/mid twenties.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/10 at 11:00 pm

18 - 30.

Oh Lord, grant me until 45 in these times of diminished expectations!

8)

I think "young adult" is pretty much passe.  I associate it more with the seventies and eighties.  I don't like it.  I'd prefer the term old teenager.  
;D

Check for new replies or respond here...