inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's the worse decade for fashion in your opinion?

Written By: 80sfan on 10/11/10 at 10:01 pm

As much as I love the music from the 70's I hate to admit it, but the 70's was the worse in my opinion when it came to fashion.

Plus, I hear girls didn't shave their pits back then!  8-P

My favorite decade for fashion has to be the 60's. Regular folks didn't dress like hippies back then, only hippies or really wild people did. Based on the pictures I've seen from the 60s it was farely conservative until about '66 ot '67.

Subject: Re: What's the worse decade for fashion in your opinion?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/11/10 at 10:26 pm

The 70's.

::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/10 at 11:48 pm

The 1970s.  Everything was over-sized, rounded, and pseudo-hipster!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/11/10 at 11:57 pm

The 1970s.  Everything was over-sized, rounded, and pseudo-hipster!

I thought the 80's was pretty bad when it came to fashion also. That's probably one of the things I don't much care for about the 80's. Love the pop culture though!  ;D

The 80's would come in second.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/10 at 12:16 am

I thought the 80's was pretty bad when it came to fashion also. That's probably one of the things I don't much care for about the 80's. Love the pop culture though!  ;D

The 80's would come in second.

Going to high school in the 'burbs at the time, I'd say "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" wasn't too far off the mark with eighties teens.  Everybody in FBDO looked peppy and sporty.  Even the glum kid, Cameron, had a kind of nerdy chic about him.  John Bender (Judd Nelson) from "The Breakfast Club" was a definite presence in my school.  We called them "burn-outs."  A lot of the local girls looked kind of like this.  Mind you I'm from Massachusetts, not Minnesota, but this was just a generic eighties trash look (I mean the two truckstop hosebags, not Margie):

Caution: frank language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRu6_mJiVAo&feature=related

Written By: whistledog on 10/12/10 at 8:11 pm

70's.  Those shirts with the pointed collars could poke an eye out.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/10 at 10:44 pm

70's.  Those shirts with the pointed collars could poke an eye out.

I give you Fernwood Tonight:

http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/wp-content/gallery/2010-06-10-fred-willard/06-fernwood-tonight.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/10 at 11:19 pm

Going to high school in the 'burbs at the time, I'd say "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" wasn't too far off the mark with eighties teens.  Everybody in FBDO looked peppy and sporty.  Even the glum kid, Cameron, had a kind of nerdy chic about him.  John Bender (Judd Nelson) from "The Breakfast Club" was a definite presence in my school.  We called them "burn-outs."  A lot of the local girls looked kind of like this.  Mind you I'm from Massachusetts, not Minnesota, but this was just a generic eighties trash look (I mean the two truckstop hosebags, not Margie):

Caution: frank language
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRu6_mJiVAo&feature=related

Lol at the 2 girls.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/10 at 11:20 pm

http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/wp-content/gallery/2010-06-10-fred-willard/06-fernwood-tonight.jpg

If that's how guys dressed in the 70's then I might change my mind about the 70's being the worse fashion decade and change it to the 80's.

Shame on me, I'm being fickle.  :-[

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/10 at 11:46 pm

If that's how guys dressed in the 70's then I might change my mind about the 70's being the worse fashion decade and change it to the 80's.

Shame on me, I'm being fickle.  :-[

Well, JesusMaryandJoseph, did you look at the horrible shirt Martin Mull was wearing.  The suits and the shoes and the hair-do's.  Ugh, get it outta here!

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/13/10 at 12:16 am

The 70s, aka The Decade that Taste Forgot

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/13/10 at 2:15 am

I dunno... I can deal with 60s, 70s and 80s garishness, but 90's grungy, lumberjack/plaid shirt and/or face piercings... I'm not especially a fan of.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/13/10 at 2:32 pm

Well, JesusMaryandJoseph, did you look at the horrible shirt Martin Mull was wearing.  The suits and the shoes and the hair-do's.  Ugh, get it outta here!

I bet Jesus, Mary, and Joseph dressed better than those 2!  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/13/10 at 4:44 pm

Probably!

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/10 at 9:35 pm

Holy Mary Hartman Batman, that is a deadly shirt.  Why the hell were those lapels so pointy, i'll never know.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/10 at 8:53 pm

There was still no room at the inn!
:(

Written By: 90steen on 10/14/10 at 10:18 pm

I'm surprised more people haven't said the 80's. As much as I love the 80's, the fashion was pretty bad.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/10 at 11:11 pm

I'm surprised more people haven't said the 80's. As much as I love the 80's, the fashion was pretty bad.

The eighties was when 14-year-old girls started arriving on campus looking like 8th Avenue hoooars!  You had the sort of ZZ TOP look.

I suspect ZZ was inspired by John Waters movies in re: the scenario. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EXXZVdUJ98

John Waters is Baltimore.  This is more of a Jersey kind of thing!
                                                                ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/14/10 at 11:23 pm

The eighties was when 14-year-old girls started arriving on campus looking like 8th Avenue hoooars!  You had the sort of ZZ TOP look.

I suspect ZZ was inspired by John Waters movies in re: the scenario. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EXXZVdUJ98

John Waters is Baltimore.  This is more of a Jersey kind of thing!
                                                                ;)

Don't forget, Madonna's popularity didn't make fashion for girls any cleaner either!  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/14/10 at 11:25 pm

I think it's all the drugs we did in the 60's and that's why fashion in the 70's and 80's were pretty strange,  ;D but in my opinion, amusing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/15/10 at 10:01 pm

Seventies

https://wahg3.wikispaces.com/file/view/mens-fashion-70s.jpg/34325801/mens-fashion-70s.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/10 at 2:33 am

Seventies

https://wahg3.wikispaces.com/file/view/mens-fashion-70s.jpg/34325801/mens-fashion-70s.jpg

It looks sooo, so.... 70's.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/10 at 12:47 am

It looks sooo, so.... 70's.  ;D

If you showed prints for those to a haberdasher in 1930, he'd say,
"Sorry, I don't do clown suits."
:D

Written By: tv on 11/02/10 at 11:55 am

The 80's were the worst I would say.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/02/10 at 7:45 pm

The 80's were the worst I would say.

I'd have to disagree. 80s and early 90s fashion was best.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/02/10 at 8:38 pm

I'd have to disagree. 80s and early 90s fashion was best.

I think the 50's were best! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/03/10 at 12:00 pm

I would have to say the 70s followed by the 90s grunge look. One thing I hate to see is striped pants. AUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!  8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4ah5iqkqUCo/S7phR2cRmwI/AAAAAAAAChA/3ehYLR7pma4/s1600/qu50080339bo_Ladies_Cotton_Corduroy_Denim_Striped_Pants.jpg

Cat

Written By: Ryan112390 on 12/08/10 at 5:00 am

70s.

I like the 80s, and mid 90s in fashion.
60s is pretty cool as well. 30s and '40s is kind of 'meh' with th exception of fedoras.
1950s is meh up until the Rock/Greaser period.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/09/10 at 2:11 am

It was a tough decision for me, but I ultimately went with  the '70s, with the '80s coming in at a close second. There's something about the '70s that's just.....unnerving, for me.  :P

Written By: ADH13 on 12/11/10 at 9:59 pm

I guess I'm the only one who went with late 2000's-early 2010's?

Mainly because of the low rise jeans (i really don't need to see all that on a complete stranger) and the pants that are 10 sizes too big.

On a side note, I do like the fact that there really are no rules for fashion these days... you could literally walk out of your house in a 1920's outfit or a 1970's or 1980's outfit and probably not even get a second look.

Written By: tv on 12/12/10 at 2:05 pm

I guess I'm the only one who went with late 2000's-early 2010's?

Mainly because of the low rise jeans (i really don't need to see all that on a complete stranger) and the pants that are 10 sizes too big.

On a side note, I do like the fact that there really are no rules for fashion these days... you could literally walk out of your house in a 1920's outfit or a 1970's or 1980's outfit and probably not even get a second look.
I always think the baggy jeans look was "in style" from 1994-2002.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/16/10 at 7:36 pm

The 1970s. I wasn't even born then, and I don't like it based on pictures f my family. Nothing but polyester screams everywhere.
And all my favorite singers, Michael, Marlon, Prince, Lionel Richie, etc, looked like human Q-tips with afros as big as the cosmos.

I just didn't like anything from the decade at all. I pull alot of my make up and fashion looks from various decades, but I never pulled make up from the seventies. When I was n high school there was a 70s fashion revival and I kind of went along with it. I had ALOT of blisters from wearing platform shoes.  :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/16/10 at 9:19 pm

The 1970s. I wasn't even born then, and I don't like it based on pictures f my family. Nothing but polyester screams everywhere.
And all my favorite singers, Michael, Marlon, Prince, Lionel Richie, etc, looked like human Q-tips with afros as big as the cosmos.

I just didn't like anything from the decade at all. I pull alot of my make up and fashion looks from various decades, but I never pulled make up from the seventies. When I was n high school there was a 70s fashion revival and I kind of went along with it. I had ALOT of blisters from wearing platform shoes.  :o

Even the high fashion models looked frumpy in that garb!

Check for new replies or respond here...