inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is your favorite "score" (20 year period)?

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/13/10 at 10:49 am

People like to say what their favorite decade/year/century was, but a less common way of breaking it down is by score, or 20-year period. I find that a good number since a generation lasts around 20 years (really around 18 for generation system and 25-30 for parenting), but it can cover a larger range by having two decades together, and often they can share similar concepts from what I've listed. Looking at cultural stuff from, for instance, 2010, 1990, 1970, 1950, 1930, and 1910 will all be clearly distinct from one another; while at ten year intervals it becomes a bit more blurred, and it really takes 20 years for one generation in an industrialized society to clearly show different lifestlyes within one another. I hope this poll generates a lot of views/votes. I will vote when at least 5 members have voted, so please vote!

THIS POLL IS UNIQUE! A score is a well-known unit of time thanks to the Gettysburg Address, but using a Google News Search, there are no results indicating what present "score" that at the time which was present, and to me this bridges the gap between "decades" and "centuries"!

Subject: Re: What is your favorite "score" (20 year period)?

Written By: 80sfan on 10/13/10 at 2:34 pm

People like to say what their favorite decade/year/century was, but a less common way of breaking it down is by score, or 20-year period. I find that a good number since a generation lasts around 20 years (really around 18 for generation system and 25-30 for parenting), but it can cover a larger range by having two decades together, and often they can share similar concepts from what I've listed. Looking at cultural stuff from, for instance, 2010, 1990, 1970, 1950, 1930, and 1910 will all be clearly distinct from one another; while at ten year intervals it becomes a bit more blurred, and it really takes 20 years for one generation in an industrialized society to clearly show different lifestlyes within one another. I hope this poll generates a lot of views/votes. I will vote when at least 5 members have voted, so please vote!

THIS POLL IS UNIQUE! A score is a well-known unit of time thanks to the Gettysburg Address, but using a Google News Search, there are no results indicating what present "score" that at the time which was present, and to me this bridges the gap between "decades" and "centuries"!

I voted the 80's and 90's era. I remember the 90's and it was so fun! I bet the 80's was fun also.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/13/10 at 9:52 pm

1st: 100th: I lived through the peak of my civilization.

2nd: 98th: Because I've been replaying Fallout 3 in preparation for New Vegas and wished the Tranquitility Lane quest had been longer.

Written By: Starde on 10/14/10 at 11:29 am

#1 - 100th score. I love the 80's and 90's. Second place would be the 99th score.

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/14/10 at 11:28 pm

Scores 98, 99, and 100 were great!

Score 101 kinda sucks. We have to find out about 2011-2020.

2010 sucks just as much as 2009!

Written By: Fairee07 on 10/15/10 at 10:50 pm

They're all significant periods but I picked 99th score because I really like the 60s and 70s.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/17/10 at 1:14 am

It is impossible to solidify all the great things about a given 20 year period, but just in terms of music, 1921 - 1940 sees the development of swing, which would later influence bebop.  In the classical world, you had a renaissance of new figures, especially John Cage.  We also Schoenberg, Berg, and Webern.  We had Messiaen documenting every bird song as music for piano.  There was Henry Cowell.  There was Harry Partch.  This was the period of the great new western understanding of microtonality as Cage, Cowell, Partch, and as late as Evan Ziporyn who has been intimately involved in the Balinese lifestyle he was able to stay true to it while introducing Western instruments and tonalities into Gamelan ensembles...anyway, it's pretty cool. 

Written By: 80sfan on 10/17/10 at 2:32 am

It is impossible to solidify all the great things about a given 20 year period, but just in terms of music, 1921 - 1940 sees the development of swing, which would later influence bebop.  In the classical world, you had a renaissance of new figures, especially John Cage.  We also Schoenberg, Berg, and Webern.  We had Messiaen documenting every bird song as music for piano.  There was Henry Cowell.  There was Harry Partch.  This was the period of the great new western understanding of microtonality as Cage, Cowell, Partch, and as late as Evan Ziporyn who has been intimately involved in the Balinese lifestyle he was able to stay true to it while introducing Western instruments and tonalities into Gamelan ensembles...anyway, it's pretty cool.   

It's also impossible to solidify all things in even a decade.  :-\\

Written By: Davester on 10/17/10 at 2:47 am

Aw man!  I picked the wrong score.  Can I change..?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/drool20.gif  Max...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/10 at 12:03 am

Aw man!  I picked the wrong score.  Can I change..?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2006-6/1193336/drool20.gif   Max...

Yeah, I kinda got rambling the other night.  I deleted a bunch of it before I even posted it.  

I just keep reading this topic as asking me a terribly personal question regarding sex or drugs!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/grommit.gif

I mean, if you're asking me what's my favorite "score" in the last 20 years, I'm gonna have to do some explaining either way!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/icon_pale.gif

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/10/10 at 11:07 pm

For the one I didn't live through: the 99th (well, okay I did, from 76 on)

For the one I did live through: the 100th

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/16/10 at 8:40 am

I voted "100th" (1981-2000). I'm a little biased, though, because I was born in the early '90s and have fond memories of growing up during that time. Plus, we had a kick-ass economy at that time.

The only downside of the 1990s was that terrorist bombings and school shootings seemed to have become quite common during that decade.  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/16/10 at 3:21 pm

The richest 20-year span for pop music is from about 1964 through 1984.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/27/10 at 9:58 pm

What I think of when I think of the 80's and 90's is 'good economy' and 'the mall era'. Is it so wrong to think so? I think not.  :o

The optimism and feel good energy of the 80's and 90's is undeniably happy and sunny.

Written By: CeeKay on 12/03/10 at 8:11 pm

I cast my vote for 97th - Dig the music from 20s-40s.  And people were living some real life. 
My second choice would be 99th - 60s and 70s - my childhood and some cool culture.

Written By: robby76 on 12/08/10 at 4:47 am

I voted the 99th - even though I wasn't born til 1976. The whole "Brady Bunch" era really appeals to me visually - even though I know things weren't so progressive socially.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/08/10 at 8:52 am

I voted the 99th - even though I wasn't born til 1976. The whole "Brady Bunch" era really appeals to me visually - even though I know things weren't so progressive socially.

WRONG! You must not read the history about the '60s and '70s well; those were among the most progressive decades socially in history! Wathc a few movies from the early 1960s and compare some with the late '70s. The social differences are night and day! That's like saying there were no such thing as hippies, mods, freaks, punks, and enviornmentalist eco-groups!

Written By: robby76 on 12/08/10 at 9:45 am

WRONG! You must not read the history about the '60s and '70s well; those were among the most progressive decades socially in history! Wathc a few movies from the early 1960s and compare some with the late '70s. The social differences are night and day! That's like saying there were no such thing as hippies, mods, freaks, punks, and enviornmentalist eco-groups!

I see your point - the times were certainly changing, but they were still not as liberal in terms of race and sexuality (compared with the later decades). So whilst I loved the imagery, I wouldn't want to live in those times.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/29/10 at 3:08 am

Even though in 1964 there was the Civil Rights Movement it took until about the 80's for racism to calm down. So I actually understand where you're coming from.

Check for new replies or respond here...