inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pink Floyd may get back together for charity

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/10 at 8:47 am

Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason has said the legendary rock band may get back together to play concerts for charity.

The group, who have sold 200 million albums, last performed at the Live 8 concert in London in 2005.

"I think all of us would like the idea of repeating the Live 8 concept," Mason said.

He said the group could do "something that's not necessarily for us, but do something for the right reasons and enjoy doing it."

"That's what I'd like, and I think the others might well see eye to eye."

His bandmates Roger Waters and David Gilmour famously fell out in the 1980s but charity recently brought the pair back together for the first time since Live 8.

They performed three Pink Floyd classics for the Hoping Foundation, which helps Palestinian children, in Oxfordshire in July.

After the show, Waters wrote that the performance was "great. End of story. Or possibly beginning."

Gilmour will also be a surprise guest during one date on Waters' forthcoming tour, where Waters is playing the band's album The Wall in full.

Speaking at the In The City music conference in Manchester, Mason said Live 8 could provide a "template for something we would do again".

"I think it would be a very nice way for a band to gently move towards retirement, by doing shows absolutely for charity rather than for more income," he said.

He told BBC News any such shows would be likely to raise money for a charitable foundation that distributed it to a variety of good causes.

"In a way the best thing would be to do a number of shows and have some sort of foundation," he said.

"We all individually have pet projects and what we did at Earls Court was we pooled the money and each of us decided which particular things they would like some of the money to go towards, which was brilliant. That's the way to do it."

In May, Waters said: "A one off thing, for some kind of charity event, I could see that happening again. I guess three is enough. I would be up for it, for sure."

The band's keyboardist Richard Wright died in 2008.

Mason appeared at In The City in his capacity as co-chairman of the Featured Artists' Coalition, a body that was set up two years ago to fight for musicians' rights.

Subject: Re: Pink Floyd may get back together for charity

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/16/10 at 11:53 pm

Exactly.  Richard Wright died in 2008.  I think now would be a good time to retire the Pink Floyd name.  Wright was there when Gilmore split and when Barrett checked himself into the puzzle factory.  Now be good lads and don't bill yourselves as Pink Floyd.  You can tour as Gilmore, Waters, and Mason.  Everybody will still think Pink, but you will be doing the band a good service retiring the name.

Check for new replies or respond here...