inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "I wish Vampires would Die already!"

Written By: Tam on 11/06/10 at 11:14 pm

The quote that was heard in my house this evening while the hubby and I were hanging together.
He was reading Entertainment Weekly, and yapping about movies and such, then right out of the blue he said:

"I wish Vampires would Die already!!!!"

My first thought of response was "But Babe, they are already Dead" ;D of course I thought better of it.

He made some other random statement about this vampire craze as being "...ridiculous and they aren't even real so why is everyone getting all obsessed with them? It's just dumb..."

At any rate, y'all know me, so I tried to debate with him for a bit.
I asked him why he thinks this is the only time that vampires were the craze?
He didn't answer me.
So I told him that it goes as far back as Bela Lugosi (1931) playing Dracula.
I tried to tell him that there was an infatuation with them when we were kids - Salem's Lot - Barlow was the evilest looking Vampire I had ever encountered!
I reminded him that in our teens, the girls were going crazy for Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt - Interview with the Vampire.

He of course said "... I was a teenager, I wouldn't remember that..." to which of course I said "Babe, all the craze is with teenagers right now"

The topic was quickly closed and we went on to other things, but doing the dishes a few minutes ago, his initial statement got me to thinking...

There are many Myths, Tales, Folklore, Legends; that claim there is in fact The Vampire, and as some have said, these claims are as old as Man himself. Some claim that they are from prehistoric times, and they lasted through the ice age, to continue now.

To be honest, I don't really know where I am going with this thread. It seemed like a good idea at the time, and I did have a bunch of info in my head I wanted to type here, but now it appears to be evading me. I guess I could ask some questions or make some bold statements...

So yah, even if Hubby wants the Vampires to die... they are already dead. Now what are we supposed to do?
;D :D

Subject: Re: "I wish Vampires would Die already!"

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/07/10 at 12:08 am

Stakes and sunlight seem to be the way, if Big Nasty is up for the task  8)

I think the obsession with vampires is that they are portrayed as still maintaining a human essence even though they are killers. 

Think of all of the other scary things such as zombies, werewolves, etc., that are no longer "human" after having been transformed.  There is no thought to those creatures' actions, while there is a certain sensuality and a very personal contact in the act of sucking someone's blood right out of them.  We come to understand a vampire's thirst and even feel empathy for it (the crazy enablers that we are), as something he can no longer control - like a drug addict.

By the way, you have forgotten to mention the Lost Boys and while that movie is certainly not pro-vampire, it sure was cool as hell!

Written By: snozberries on 11/07/10 at 12:36 am

When I was at that Psych event Thursday someone asked James Roday "Vampires or Zombies"  he answered "Vampires are sexy, but zombies are tougher."  ;D

I hear ya... and I hear james.. this current Vamp craze is a bit over the top. I don't mind vampires but I want them done well... You probably disagree Tam but twilight doesn't hold a candle to Buffy.  If I could only have one vampire themed tv show, movie, or book I would take Buffy hands down without even thinking about what else is out there.  But ya'all probably figured that out about me.

I have been, my whole life, a die hard zombie freak! I love zombies... so ya know if I had to choose I'm with James Roday.  Actually I never really gave vamps much thought prior to Buffy... I remember seeing Love at First Bite (I didn't get it)  I saw Dracula, and I saw Blacula... I watched Interview - didn't really get that either. I loved Lost Boys.

I don't know where I'm going either  ;D  so I'll stop there.

Written By: Frank on 11/07/10 at 12:43 am

Vampires suck

blood

Yup, stakes and sunlight. And call me in the morning.

Written By: Tam on 11/07/10 at 11:42 am

Stakes and sunlight seem to be the way, if Big Nasty is up for the task  8)

I think the obsession with vampires is that they are portrayed as still maintaining a human essence even though they are killers. 

Think of all of the other scary things such as zombies, werewolves, etc., that are no longer "human" after having been transformed.  There is no thought to those creatures' actions, while there is a certain sensuality and a very personal contact in the act of sucking someone's blood right out of them.  We come to understand a vampire's thirst and even feel empathy for it (the crazy enablers that we are), as something he can no longer control - like a drug addict.

By the way, you have forgotten to mention the Lost Boys and while that movie is certainly not pro-vampire, it sure was cool as hell!

I know you are right about that! I know that even watching Bela Lugosi, I feel for Dracula. It is a bizarre thing to actually feel for something we should despise. The sensuality and intimacy are definitely something that draws our minds in as well. Does that mean we are all into S&M? Big Nasty seems to think so *smh*

I did actually forget the Lost Boys if you can believe that. To be honest though, when I think of LB, I think of Jason Patric and how bloody hot he was! Heck, he is still handsome as all get out! ;)

Written By: Tam on 11/07/10 at 11:51 am

When I was at that Psych event Thursday someone asked James Roday "Vampires or Zombies"  he answered "Vampires are sexy, but zombies are tougher."   ;D

I hear ya... and I hear james.. this current Vamp craze is a bit over the top. I don't mind vampires but I want them done well... You probably disagree Tam but twilight doesn't hold a candle to Buffy.  If I could only have one vampire themed tv show, movie, or book I would take Buffy hands down without even thinking about what else is out there.  But ya'all probably figured that out about me.

I have been, my whole life, a die hard zombie freak! I love zombies... so ya know if I had to choose I'm with James Roday.  Actually I never really gave vamps much thought prior to Buffy... I remember seeing Love at First Bite (I didn't get it)  I saw Dracula, and I saw Blacula... I watched Interview - didn't really get that either. I loved Lost Boys.

I don't know where I'm going either  ;D  so I'll stop there.

See, I have no problem with you saying your opinion on Twilight. I can almost agree with you... only because movies will never do books justice.

But like Shannon said - the emotional character that Edward Cullen is, makes me connect with him. He struggles, he fights himself, he is disgusted by himself. But he LOVES. And he loves hard and true. It is a weird combination. And not just Twilight! I had read other series' about vampires that do the exact same thing. JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood is one. Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed is another. Anything by Anne Rice. Apparently even authors are drawn by the soft, emotional side of the vampire than to the blood addicted sadist side.

Sidenote - hubby was watching Dracula 2000 last week or so, and I was completely floored!!!! I had no idea that the actor portraying Dracula was Gerard Butler! Man does he ever look different without his beard!!! :o 8)

Written By: Tam on 11/07/10 at 11:52 am

Vampires suck

blood

Yup, stakes and sunlight. And call me in the morning.

Frank, you crack me up! ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/07/10 at 1:35 pm

BARNABAS COLLINS!!!!

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/Barnabas%20Collins%20Dark%20Shadows.jpg

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 11/07/10 at 3:34 pm

For me, there is too much of a dramatic story line with today's vampire flicks, all stemming back to movies like 'Interview With the Vampire'

I'd much rather watch one like 'Vampires' with James Woods, or 'Underworld' with Kate Beckinsale where heroic people with weapons go around killing them.

Written By: ladybug316 on 11/07/10 at 3:38 pm

For me, there is too much of a dramatic story line with today's vampire flicks, all stemming back to movies like 'Interview With the Vampire'

I'd much rather watch one like 'Vampires' with James Woods, or 'Underworld' with Kate Beckinsale where heroic people with weapons go around killing them.

That's because you're a man!  Most of the above-named vampires have been written with a female audience in mind  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/08/10 at 10:10 am

I met a vegan vampire once.  I don't know how that works.  Didn't ask.
:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/08/10 at 9:43 pm

I met a vegan vampire once.  I don't know how that works.  Didn't ask.
:D

Pomegranates.  Wear a white dress shirt, stand in the bathtub, and eat a pomegranite as you would a peach.  Step back out of the tub, don jacket, and voila.  Instant vampire costume.

Back to the subject on hand.  Vampires do not sparkle.  That is all.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/08/10 at 9:58 pm

Pomegranates.  Wear a white dress shirt, stand in the bathtub, and eat a pomegranite as you would a peach.  Step back out of the tub, don jacket, and voila.  Instant vampire costume.

Back to the subject on hand.  Vampires do not sparkle.  That is all.

Oh, actually the vegan vampire is quite possible.  They distinguish themselves between sanguinarian vampires and psychic vampires.  The sanguinarian vampires suck blood like Count Dracula, whereas the psychic vampires just suck...well, they just suck. 

I dunno, maybe it's fun when you're a campus goth but if you're over the thirty, it's not terribly amusing.
::) 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/08/10 at 10:05 pm

Let me put this as blunt as possible.....

Vampires don't fricking sparkle!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/10 at 1:19 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wp0-yDJAtWQ

Cat

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/10/10 at 8:26 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knEOourigcw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xunXQPEcoHM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAJH234JEn8

All more vampire, than Edward!

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/10 at 8:42 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cEOKS5-DcQ

Begs the question -- is the black kid supposed to be Count Chocula?

(***ducks***)
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/confused1.gif

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/10/10 at 9:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7XE5UCmXS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3SsYyTUu50&feature=related

Written By: wildcard on 11/10/10 at 9:35 pm

If I remember correctly, the first Count Dracula book was written to mock a prince.  Vampires have become my favorite because they are human.  I am not into a craze with vampires and don't care for romance.  Dracula Dead and Loving it and anything comedy works for me.

Written By: snozberries on 11/10/10 at 10:05 pm

Vampires have become my favorite because they are human. 

actually I think they are post-human.  ;D

Written By: wildcard on 11/10/10 at 11:32 pm

^ okay ;D but yeah, it was a mock on a human so that's why it seems close to something that can be human. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/20/10 at 8:09 pm

http://thegeeksarealright.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/head_trip____breaking_dawn____by_shinga.jpg

- clicky to embiggenate Head Trip - Breaking Dawn, Breaking Brains, by shinga.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/01/10 at 4:44 am

I think vampires are on the way out now, it seems like this is the time of the zombie...

Written By: snozberries on 12/01/10 at 10:34 am

I think vampires are on the way out now, it seems like this is the time of the zombie...

Speaking of which Walking Dead is an AWESOME show!!!!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/01/10 at 10:41 pm

Speaking of which Walking Dead is an AWESOME show!!!!

It *is* rather awesome, isn't it?  I even got my hubby watching it and he doesn't even watch t.v. very often.  (Also got him watching Dexter too.)

Written By: snozberries on 12/01/10 at 11:33 pm

It *is* rather awesome, isn't it?  I even got my hubby watching it and he doesn't even watch t.v. very often.  (Also got him watching Dexter too.)

THATS SO AWESOME!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/02/10 at 4:35 pm

For Q.

http://caleb_livvie_tess.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/caleblivvie200.jpg

Yeah, I know it is not a great pic but it still makes you go, "YUM!"

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/03/10 at 12:21 am

For Q.

http://caleb_livvie_tess.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/caleblivvie200.jpg

Yeah, I know it is not a great pic but it still makes you go, "YUM!"

Cat

Caleb's Not Bad... but I still prefer.... Angelus!!!

http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/attachments/5019d1020045991-pics-of-angel-david-boreanaz-in_the_dar.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/03/10 at 1:17 am

The vampire possesses an illusory power over life itself.  "Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac," as Henry Kissinger observed.  Kissinger was an ugly man in all senses, but he had more power than most women he met ever knew, so they were eager to jump into bed with him.  The vampire is an irreverent figure; he's the guy the pastor warned you about in church.  Evil is far more seductive than good; the vampire is ultimately evil and ultimately seductive to the woman lacking in self-esteem.  He is dangerous, swift, and superficially charming.  I notice certain women seek out the most vampiric men they can find.*

What they find is a dangerous azzhole who delivers cocaine-fueled black eyes, rampant infidelity, and obsessive control.  Every day thousands of women file restraining orders against their personal "vampires."**

It is not for the occult manifestations of vampirism that I object to the elevation of the vampire to sex symbol, but the very real danger in the vampiric personality.  I don't believe in literal vampires but the vampire-type as described above is all too common.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/vampanim.gif

*I always recall the personal ad in which the woman was seeking "a kinder, gentler Hannibal Lecter." The Hannibal Lecter character was not a vampire per se, but, as portrayed by Anthony Hopkins, had that sociopathic allure of erudition, refinement, and shallow charm with which Hollywood has imbued vampires since the 1930s.  The woman who placed that ad wanted the "vampire" without the destruction the "vampire" brings -- destruction of your body and soul.  

**I assure you, I have seen male friends of mine fall for the same vampiric personalities in women and suffer the consequences.  The consequences of men falling for vampiric women usually not as severe owing to the imbalance of power between the sexes.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/08/11 at 8:23 pm

Someone tried to suck my blood once, all I got was a hicky.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/11 at 8:34 pm

Someone tried to suck my blood once, all I got was a hicky.  :-\\

;D  karma!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/08/11 at 8:39 pm

;D  karma!  ;D

I don't read the Twilight books that are part of the reason vampires are so popular right now. One reason could be because I'm a guy. I would rather read Sarah Palin's 'Going Rogue' to be honest.

Written By: snozberries on 01/08/11 at 9:25 pm

I don't read the Twilight books that are part of the reason vampires are so popular right now. One reason could be because I'm a guy. I would rather read Sarah Palin's 'Going Rogue' to be honest.

I'd rather read jokes printed on used toilet paper than either Twilight or Going Rogue  :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/18/11 at 12:32 am

Back to the subject on hand.  Vampires do not sparkle.  That is all.

Just for Chewie, and for the record,

http://chzbronies.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-there-was-a-vampire-in-me.jpg

I stand confused, but I stand corrected.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/18/11 at 4:51 pm

http://chzbronies.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-there-was-a-vampire-in-me.jpg

I'm guessing the pony's name is Twilight?  lol

Written By: snozberries on 09/18/11 at 4:51 pm

Ha ha....suddenly it makes sense! Thanks!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/20/11 at 9:44 pm

Worse than that.  You were only half right!

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/16/11 at 1:01 am

And now, a word from TEAM YOU THOUGHT I WAS ONLY JOKING TWO MONTHS AGO, DIDN'T YOU?

YzXsYPvxfIs

/team kinda preferred it two months ago

Written By: Step-chan on 11/16/11 at 1:21 am

Hilarious in Hindsight. The funny thing is that FiM was being early development in 2008.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/17/11 at 11:34 pm

In conclusion...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/154/395/tumblr_lj3tvezERQ1qdmd3do1_500.jpg

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/18/11 at 4:36 am

In conclusion...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/kym-assets/photos/images/original/000/154/395/tumblr_lj3tvezERQ1qdmd3do1_500.jpg

Good to know, and I think I prefer Bronie Twilight Sparkle... just for the mere fact that it's purple.  I likes purple (although I'm not a big fan of real horses, but equally not a big fan of "real" vampires, so I guess that evens out the equation (if anybody is out there keeping score  :-\\ ::) ))

Written By: ralfy on 08/16/16 at 11:06 pm

"The Day Of The Vampire’s Death – Béla Lugosi Died 60 Years Ago"

http://hungarytoday.hu/news/day-vampires-death-bela-lugosi-died-60-years-ago-88119

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/16 at 4:48 am

"The Day Of The Vampire’s Death – Béla Lugosi Died 60 Years Ago"

http://hungarytoday.hu/news/day-vampires-death-bela-lugosi-died-60-years-ago-88119

Are vampires already dead?

Written By: ralfy on 08/21/16 at 7:54 pm

Are vampires already dead?

Likely in reference to vampire characters in movies.

Check for new replies or respond here...