inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is pop culture dying?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/20/10 at 10:46 pm

Why has the quality of movies, music, and television gone down so drastically the past 10-11 years?

Is society going through a paradigm change?

Subject: Re: Is pop culture dying?

Written By: Davester on 12/21/10 at 12:59 am

Bah! Phooey!  *spit* mumble-gripe... >:( 8-P

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/21/10 at 7:16 am

Why has the quality of movies, music, and television gone down so drastically the past 10-11 years?

Sadly, it seems like mobile technology is all that is left of pop culture. I actually enjoy studying religion more than today's pop culture!

Written By: CeeKay on 12/21/10 at 7:44 am

Honestly, I think it's because everything has become a marketing tool.  Everything.  Every website, every social network system, every phone, every movie.  And with people being hooked into media the way we are as an overall society, if there is little or no meaning at the core - as the purpose - of what people are taking in (movies, tv, music, internet) - then there is no real culture.  We've become a commercial-driven culture - which leaves little "pop culture" to feed off of or grow out of or whatever. 

"The love of money is the root of all evil."  Welcome to the 00s and the Market Drive Life.  (Example #1:  no one ever announces how many people chose to see a particular movie anymore, just how much money it brought in.  Example #2:  Facebook = primarily ad vehicle)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/10 at 10:55 am

Sadly, it seems like mobile technology is all that is left of pop culture. I actually enjoy studying religion more than today's pop culture!

I like reading now more than I like listening to the radio.  8)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/10 at 10:56 am

Honestly, I think it's because everything has become a marketing tool.  Everything.  Every website, every social network system, every phone, every movie.  And with people being hooked into media the way we are as an overall society, if there is little or no meaning at the core - as the purpose - of what people are taking in (movies, tv, music, internet) - then there is no real culture.  We've become a commercial-driven culture - which leaves little "pop culture" to feed off of or grow out of or whatever. 

"The love of money is the root of all evil."  Welcome to the 00s and the Market Drive Life.   (Example #1:  no one ever announces how many people chose to see a particular movie anymore, just how much money it brought in.  Example #2:  Facebook = primarily ad vehicle)

To be more objective, not every song today sucks and not every movie today sucks either. It's just that I only like 3 out of the 10 songs on the radio now and I only like 4 out of the 10 movies that are in theatres now.

Written By: CeeKay on 12/21/10 at 11:01 am

To be more objective, not every song today sucks and not every movie today sucks either. It's just that I only like 3 out of the 10 songs on the radio now and I only like 4 out of the 10 movies that are in theatres now.

Agreed.

Written By: tv on 12/21/10 at 5:05 pm

I like reading now more than I like listening to the radio.  8)
I actually follow politics now than follow pop culture.

Written By: gibbo on 12/21/10 at 5:11 pm

We're too busy worshipping so-called celebrities these days. Not enough time to apreciate the actual art involved. Pop music is all about 'sexing up' the video clip and the stage performance. The actual craft is secondary.

Movies are also 'sexed up' with obligatory language and toilet humour.  Add the special effects ... and there's no time for a plot!!

Newspapers and mainstream news programs are filled with what celebrities are doing, who sent what indiscreet text message to whom etc etc. Even our political campaigns are run like a cheap Hollywood script. Do we really care what some actors or recording 'star' think about the world?

The definition of a 'star' has been cheapened. Basically, anybody with some modicum of talent can strike it rich by using the internet. Even if it's only for 15 minutes...  Artists with real talent (and some self respect) don't get a look in anymore. It's all about the almighty dollar...

Hey....don't get me started!!!   >:(   ;) ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/10 at 5:23 pm

We're too busy worshipping so-called celebrities these days. Not enough time to apreciate the actual art involved. Pop music is all about 'sexing up' the video clip and the stage performance. The actual craft is secondary.

Movies are also 'sexed up' with obligatory language and toilet humour.  Add the special effects ... and there's no time for a plot!!

Newspapers and mainstream news programs are filled with what celebrities are doing, who sent what indiscreet text message to whom etc etc. Even our political campaigns are run like a cheap Hollywood script. Do we really care what some actors or recording 'star' think about the world?

The definition of a 'star' has been cheapened. Basically, anybody with some modicum of talent can strike it rich by using the internet. Even if it's only for 15 minutes...  Artists with real talent (and some self respect) don't get a look in anymore. It's all about the almighty dollar...

The girls from 16 and Pregnant are considered 'stars'. Which in my opinion is just wrong!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/10 at 5:23 pm

I actually follow politics now than follow pop culture.

It's actually a very interesting time in politics.  :(

Written By: sonikuu on 12/21/10 at 6:51 pm

I'm going to go on the record and defend 00s tv and movies.

In my opinion, the best tv shows of the 00s were better than the best tv shows of the 90s and the worst tv shows were worst than the worst tv shows of the 90s.  Think about how formulaic most 90s tv was: family sitcoms everywhere, little continuity (skip 10 episodes and you wouldn't miss a thing), etc.  00s shows like Lost and 24 were unique, had continuity, etc.  Hell, even the reality shows, as bad as a lot of them were, had a strict continuity.  Cartoons also saw a similar disconnect: kids cartoons declined drastically (Avatar The Last Airbender being a noticeable exception except for that godawful movie), but the anime boom brought in new kinds of storylines, Pixar was releasing classic after classic, and some of the stuff on Adult Swim (Boondocks, Venture Bros, etc.) easily outdoes most of the best 90s cartoons (though AS definitely has its share of godawful shows).

Likewise, this decade saw PLENTY of good movies.  Of course, it also saw plenty of trash as well.  Movies like Date Movie and Meet The Spartans would not have been released in the 90s.  However, plenty of good stuff came out too.  Heck, a quick glance through IMDB's (easily the most popular movie site on the internet) top 20 user-rated movies will show that 5 of them came out in the last decade.

I won't deny some stuff has been downright awful and there's been some trends I don't like, 3D being one of them.  But we shouldn't generalize everything so negatively.  Generalizations are bad, okay?

Written By: 80sfan on 12/21/10 at 6:58 pm

I'm going to go on the record and defend 00s tv and movies.

In my opinion, the best tv shows of the 00s were better than the best tv shows of the 90s and the worst tv shows were worst than the worst tv shows of the 90s.  Think about how formulaic most 90s tv was: family sitcoms everywhere, little continuity (skip 10 episodes and you wouldn't miss a thing), etc.  00s shows like Lost and 24 were unique, had continuity, etc.  Hell, even the reality shows, as bad as a lot of them were, had a strict continuity.  Cartoons also saw a similar disconnect: kids cartoons declined drastically (Avatar The Last Airbender being a noticeable exception except for that godawful movie), but the anime boom brought in new kinds of storylines, Pixar was releasing classic after classic, and some of the stuff on Adult Swim (Boondocks, Venture Bros, etc.) easily outdoes most of the best 90s cartoons (though AS definitely has its share of godawful shows).

Likewise, this decade saw PLENTY of good movies.  Of course, it also saw plenty of trash as well.  Movies like Date Movie and Meet The Spartans would not have been released in the 90s.  However, plenty of good stuff came out too.  Heck, a quick glance through IMDB's (easily the most popular movie site on the internet) top 20 user-rated movies will show that 5 of them came out in the last decade.

I won't deny some stuff has been downright awful and there's been some trends I don't like, 3D being one of them.  But we shouldn't generalize everything so negatively.  Generalizations are bad, okay?

Your post is not only optimistic, but true!  ;)

Written By: tv on 12/22/10 at 12:43 pm

I agree with you on pop music about it being sexed up.

The Celeb thing was more 2003-2006 with the paparazzi following them around. I think people got sick of it once 2007 came around. Now if you want if the celeb you like has a twiitter account you can keep up whats going on with them that way. Basically me with me if something is on about Prince William and Kate Middleton or Kate Gosselin I'll just switch to another channel because I don't want to hear aboout that stuff. If its Michael Douglass's son drug problem I don't mind hearing about it.

Written By: whistledog on 12/23/10 at 12:06 am

It hasn't gone down.  It all depends on what perspective you look at it from.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/23/10 at 12:34 am

It hasn't gone down.  It all depends on what perspective you look at it from.

I think I was cranky the day I made this thread and needed a nap.  ;D

Written By: Shiv on 12/28/10 at 12:20 am

thats just the 00s "way". All style and no substance. Edgy for the sake of being edgy.

It will be laughed at in 2015.

Culture will get sophisticated again. You can already see shades of it. People are dressing nicer, and the whole 00s "famous for being famous" celebrity culture is becoming outdated.

Written By: nicole1977 on 12/28/10 at 12:32 am

I hate to scare people but it's heading towards the New World Order stage.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/10 at 12:59 am

I hate to scare people but it's heading towards the New World Order stage.

We as a people have to band together and stand up to our government.

People shouldn't be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of their people. I think I heard that in the movie V for Vendetta.

Written By: CeeKay on 12/28/10 at 11:09 am

We as a people have to band together and stand up to our government.

People shouldn't be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of their people. I think I heard that in the movie V for Vendetta.

It is easier to influence government than people realize, if you start at the local level.  If you don't like the government, speak up, enter in and change it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/28/10 at 12:36 pm

Yes!

Check for new replies or respond here...