inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's the earliest presidential election you remember?

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/06/11 at 12:03 am

For those living in the United States, what's the earliest presidential election that you can recall? What's the first presidential election that you actually voted in?

The earliest presidential election I can remember was the 2000 presidential election. I was nine years old that year, and I remember seeing Bush and Gore debating each other on television. Of course, everything being said was beyond my comprehension at the time.

I also remember all the controversy over that election. I specifically remember hearing about Florida, and recounting the votes, but, of course, I didn't really understand what was going on in-depth.

The first presidential election that I actually paid attention to was the 2004 race between Bush and Kerry. I remember seeing political ads for the first time on television, and some fun little presidential election commercial on Nickelodeon.

I have yet to vote in a presidential election, but I did vote in the 2010 midterms, and that was my very first time voting. The very first presidential election I will vote in will be the one in 2012.

Subject: Re: What's the earliest presidential election you remember?

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/06/11 at 6:39 am

I remember Ronald Reagan winning but I don't remember the race.  That's my earliest political memory.

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/11 at 9:00 am

1960 Kennedy/Nixon

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/11 at 1:19 pm

I remember seeing ford on tv. I remember Carters inauguration.
The first election I was aware of was probably mondale /Ferraro vs regan/bush

Written By: nally on 01/06/11 at 1:50 pm

The first presidential election I can remember is that of 1988, when Bush Sr. was elected. I was 8 years old at the time and didn't understand politics well, but I did know a little bit about the two main candidates.

The first time I voted in one: 2000.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/06/11 at 2:10 pm

I actually slightly remember the 1992 election I was only 5 years old at the time, well one thing I certainly remember was my parents going to vote and walking to the polling place with them which was my preschool. I remember the '96 election pretty well and I really followed the 2000 election (watched all the debates and stuff). I remember Gore talking about keeping social security in a "lock box" or something rofl and the idiot Bush saying he was against "nation building"...sure.  ::) I remember Bush said Gore's numbers were "fuzzy math".  ;D I first voted for president in 2008 and first time voting was in 2006 midterms.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/11 at 9:16 pm

The earliest I remember is the 1996 presidential election which Bill Clinton won! I was 7 going on 8 at the time.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 01/06/11 at 10:23 pm

The first presidential election I remember, although the memory is vague, was the 1968 election.  I remember liking Hubert Humphrey and being unhappy after Nixon won.  Since I was just eight, it was all a bit over my head.  I got a lot more interested in the 1972 election, and recall that my eighth grade class had a vote on who we liked.  George McGovern wasn't as compelling as Humphrey, but again I was disappointed with the outcome.  The 1976 election was a different animal - at sixteen I still couldn't vote, but this time I was happy with the outcome (even though I didn't detest Ford nearly as much as Nixon).

The first presidential election I could vote in was in 1980.  I was extremely unhappy with the outcome then. :(

(Incidentally, my political preferences have changed since my early youth.)

Written By: bigdsketch on 01/07/11 at 12:09 am

For those living in the United States, what's the earliest presidential election that you can recall? What's the first presidential election that you actually voted in?

The earliest presidential election I can remember was the 2000 presidential election. I was nine years old that year, and I remember seeing Bush and Gore debating each other on television. Of course, everything being said was beyong my comprehension at the time.

I also remember all the controversy over that election. I specifically remember hearing about Florida, and recounting the votes, but, of course, I didn't really understand what was going on in-depth.

The first presidential election that I actually paid attention to was the 2004 race between Bush and Kerry. I remember seeing political ads for the first time on television, and some fun little presidential election commercial on Nickelodeon.

I have yet to vote in a presidential election, but I did vote in the 2010 midterms, and that was my very first time voting. The very first presidential election I will vote in will be the one in 2012.

Dude we must be close to the same age. That's the first election i remember too

Written By: joeman on 01/07/11 at 6:24 am

I actually slightly remember the 1992 election I was only 5 years old at the time, well one thing I certainly remember was my parents going to vote and walking to the polling place with them which was my preschool. I remember the '96 election pretty well and I really followed the 2000 election (watched all the debates and stuff). I remember Gore talking about keeping social security in a "lock box" or something rofl and the idiot Bush saying he was against "nation building"...sure.  ::) I remember Bush said Gore's numbers were "fuzzy math".  ;D I first voted for president in 2008 and first time voting was in 2006 midterms.

Same here, but change it to age 7 ;).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/07/11 at 11:02 am

I will be dating myself again here but oh well. The first one I remember was 1972 (Nixon/McGovern). I was in 4th grade and we had a mock election. (Yeah, I voted for Tricky Dicky.  :-
I remember Carters inauguration.

I was living in the D.C. area at the time. I thought it would be cool to go see him walking down Pennsylvania Avenue but it would have been more than cool-it would have been COLD!!!! It was January after all. Besides, I was living with my dad at the time and there was no way in hell he was going to go and stand out there in the cold.

Cat

Written By: tv on 01/07/11 at 1:16 pm

I remember a little bit about the 1988 Presidential Election because some kid in my 3rd grade class was mentiong Dukakis vs Bush(H.W.)

The first presidential election I remember clearly was the 2000 election.

The first presidential I voted in was the 2004 presidential election.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/07/11 at 1:23 pm

I guess it would be Carter, I had to make a diorama of a voting booth for school (I used a shoe box and a Barbie doll  ;D)

Written By: Dagwood on 01/07/11 at 6:36 pm

For me it would be the 1980 Regan Vs. Carter race. I was 9 at the time.

The first time I voted was in the 1996 Clinton Vs. Dole.

Written By: nally on 01/07/11 at 7:14 pm

I remember a little bit about the 1988 Presidential Election because some kid in my 3rd grade class was mentiong Dukakis vs Bush(H.W.)

You must be about the same age as me, since I was also in 3rd grade at the time. We even discussed it in school, too. Can't remember if we had a "mock election", though.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/07/11 at 8:29 pm

Ford versus Carter.  I didn't understand any of the issues.  I knew Ford was a Republican, Carter was a Democrat, and my old man thought they were both "bozos," oh, and something else about "Watergate"!
::)

Written By: Hud on 01/07/11 at 8:51 pm

At age nine, I vaguely recall my father had on Nixon's win in '72 and was curious about his interest in balloons and banners and big people yakking incessant gibberish that appeared to be more important than the Dolphins' streak for some unbeknownst crazy reason. At age 29 today  ;) I feel similarly every four years.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/07/11 at 9:32 pm

I also slightly remember the 1992 election that Clinton won, but I don't count it because it's so blurry to me.

Written By: DizzMcMinyard on 01/07/11 at 10:14 pm

The last election between Clinton and Dole. I wanted Dole to win cuz thats how my parents were... Anti-Clinton lol. The first one I really payed attention to though with an open mind was 2008. What an election! It was soooo crazy!

Written By: Zeb on 02/04/11 at 5:15 pm

The earliest presidential election that I can recall would have to be the three candidate race of 1992 when I was in the second grade. My parents are avowed conservatives so they voted for Bush Sr.  I can recall Dan Quayle not knowing the correct way to spell potato, and ripping on Murphy Brown even though she was a fictional TV character. ;D  My mom came into my room and woke me up on election night to tell me that we had a new president and his name was Bill Clinton.  A short biography of new First Lady Hillary circulated in our school library shortly thereafter.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/04/11 at 5:50 pm

Bush.

The first one, not Mr. 'Strategery'.

I think I was 5 or 6 at the time.

Written By: Davester on 02/05/11 at 6:36 pm

I remember when Carter was elected, but not in any detail.  He seemed, to me, like a "friendly old dude", kinda like my grandfather...

First presidential election I voted in was in 1988, by absentee military ballot as I was in the North Atlantic at the time. Repub and Dem nominees were Bush Sr. and Mike Dukakis...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/05/11 at 8:23 pm

First presidential election I voted in was in 1988, by absentee military ballot as I was in the North Atlantic at the time. Repub and Dem nominees were Bush Sr. and Mike Dukakis...

That was actually my first presidential election that I voted in, too. I was too young in the '80 election (but voted in a mock election-for John Anderson. WHO??  :o :o :o He was a third party candidate with Reagan & Carter. I didn't vote in the '84 election because I couldn't get to the polls that day.  :-[ So, '88 was my first. Yeah, I voted for Daddy Bush.  :-[  Yup-I was a Republican in those days.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I have since seen the light.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Davester on 02/05/11 at 8:32 pm

That was actually my first presidential election that I voted in, too. I was too young in the '80 election (but voted in a mock election-for John Anderson. WHO??  :o :o :o He was a third party candidate with Reagan & Carter. I didn't vote in the '84 election because I couldn't get to the polls that day.  :-[ So, '88 was my first. Yeah, I voted for Daddy Bush.  :-[  Yup-I was a Republican in those days.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

I have since seen the light.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Jon Anderson of Yes?  Woulda had my vote, too.  As you did, I voted for pops Bush.  I didn't like Dukakis' eyebrows...

Seen the light, Cat?  Don't say that, it makes people nervous!  Heaven's Gate saw the light and look what happened to them..!  :P

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/05/11 at 8:46 pm

I retract my statement. I didn't know that Bush was elected in 1988. I thought he went in later than that. I was only 2 then.

I was 6 in 1992 and therefore the first presidential election I remember is Clinton. I miss Clinton.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/07/11 at 10:45 am

Jon Anderson of Yes?  Woulda had my vote, too.  As you did, I voted for pops Bush.  I didn't like Dukakis' eyebrows...

Seen the light, Cat?  Don't say that, it makes people nervous!  Heaven's Gate saw the light and look what happened to them..!  :P

Different John Anderson.  ;)

Ok, I didn't "See the light" - I learned the error of my ways. (Any better?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D )

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/07/11 at 10:18 pm

Ok, I didn't "See the light" - I learned the error of my ways. (Any better?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D )

Here, let me help.

High road: Jeff Healey, See the Light

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d95YFdubGrU

Low road: Happy 100th Birthday!  Ronald Reagan, See the Light, Feel the Heat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8ficfJbvwc

Does that help?  (Or should I just ask the guys who do the web design about their new electric applesauce mix?  Way more fun way to go than drinking the Flavor-Kool-Aid!)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/10/11 at 6:03 pm

That was actually my first presidential election that I voted in, too. I was too young in the '80 election (but voted in a mock election-for John Anderson. WHO?? 

I remember John B. Anderson!  Conservative Republican state rep from Illinois who gained a surprising amount of support from progressives.  A lot of people who voted for Jerry Brown in the primaries voted for Anderson in the general election.  He got 7% of the vote.

http://recollections.liblog.wheaton.edu/files/a15369.jpg

Written By: tv on 02/11/11 at 4:32 pm

You must be about the same age as me, since I was also in 3rd grade at the time. We even discussed it in school, too. Can't remember if we had a "mock election", though.
Yeah I am the same age as you.

Written By: tv on 02/11/11 at 4:33 pm

The earliest presidential election that I can recall would have to be the three candidate race of 1992 when I was in the second grade. My parents are avowed conservatives so they voted for Bush Sr.  I can recall Dan Quayle not knowing the correct way to spell potato, and ripping on Murphy Brown even though she was a fictional TV character. ;D  My mom came into my room and woke me up on election night to tell me that we had a new president and his name was Bill Clinton.  A short biography of new First Lady Hillary circulated in our school library shortly thereafter.
Oh yeah I remember the 92 election a little bit. Some kid in summer camp was talking about Dan Quayle and Ross Perot.

Written By: tv on 02/11/11 at 4:38 pm

I remember John B. Anderson!  Conservative Republican state rep from Illinois who gained a surprising amount of support from progressives.  A lot of people who voted for Jerry Brown in the primaries voted for Anderson in the general election.  He got 7% of the vote.

http://recollections.liblog.wheaton.edu/files/a15369.jpg

[/quoteNo Anderson was a moderate repub. I heard he got alot of votes in the state of Maine in the 1980 Presidential election because the voters in Maine thought Reagan was too conservative. Anderson did run in the Republican Primary for that presidential election too.

Written By: fusefan on 02/11/11 at 7:25 pm

Bush/Gore in 2000. Before that i was too young to understand nor did i pay attention.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/14/11 at 11:58 pm

Yeah I was real young when Dan Quayle was VP but I definitely remember my Dad joking about the potato thing from a very young age.

Written By: gmann on 02/15/11 at 2:13 pm

I'm a tad too young to recall the 1980 election. The first one I can remember was the '84 contest between Reagan and Mondale. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=It0Dtm1gFFQ

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/11 at 8:30 pm

Yeah I was real young when Dan Quayle was VP but I definitely remember my Dad joking about the potato thing from a very young age.

The thing to remember about potato-gate was the kid spilled it right, both the teacher who wrote the flashcard AND DQ spelled it p-o-t-a-t-o-e!
:D

Written By: chiefyamick on 02/27/11 at 8:38 pm

Earliest one I remember was Reagan vs Mondale...think I was like 4 at the time but I remember my mom and dad having all these campaign buttons all over the place.

Written By: RG1995 on 02/27/11 at 10:47 pm

Written By: Milkof1996 on 03/01/11 at 1:43 pm

George Bush 2000.

Check for new replies or respond here...