inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movies / TV Shows within Movies / TV Shows

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/11 at 3:33 pm

"I'm gonna give you to the count of 10 to get your lousy, lyin', no good kiester off my property before I pump your guts full of lead"

http://www.enotes.com/w/images/thumb/1/1c/Angels_with_Filthy_Souls.jpg/180px-Angels_with_Filthy_Souls.jpg

For those who saw 'Home Alone', recognize that as a line from the fictional movie 'Angels With Filthy Souls' that Kevin wasn't allowed to watch, but watched anyway. 

In 'Home Alone 2: Lost in New York', Kevin watches the sequel 'Angels With Even Filthier Souls'

Also in 'Home Alone 2', Kevin is watching 'Celebrity Ding Dang Dong' as hosted by Bob Eubanks.  This show did not exist, though it did look like a neat game show

In 'Robocop'. there is mention of a show called 'T.J. Lazer' which is a obvious play on 'T.J. Hooker'.

Also in 'Robocop', is a show apparently called "I'll Buy That For A Dollar' starring a guy named Bixby Snyder.  Whenever he says the title of the TV show in the show, those who are watching the show laugh like it's the funniest thing ever.  Part of the gag is that we, the viewer watching Robocop, don't know why it's funny

Subject: Re: Movies / TV Shows within Movies / TV Shows

Written By: nally on 02/03/11 at 7:08 pm

Oh yes, I remember the productions within Home Alone. Those fictitious films were hilarious. (Kevin would use "Johnny's" lines from those films to ward off anyone chasing him, to make them think there was an authoritative man inside.) And of course Bob Eubanks is a real-life game show host, so having him host the fictitous one in the second "Home Alone" was rather appropriate. In addition, Eubanks hosted a game show-within-a-TV-show on an episode of "Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air" back in the 90's, when Will was having an argument with his buddy Jazz and another friend. (I forget what that internal program was called, but it did have a question-and-answer round in which Will's competitors gave silly answers to take the early lead.)

As for TV shows within TV shows, one that readily comes to mind is the Disney Channel sitcom "Sonny With A Chance", which focuses on a sketch comedy called 'So Random' and its rivalry with a teen drama entitled 'Mackenzie Falls'. Other "internal" programs that have been mentioned on that show include 'Meal Or No Meal', which is an obvious spoof of "Deal Or No Deal", and it uses numbered lunchboxes.

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/11 at 9:05 pm

On an episode of 'Family Matters', Eddie, Waldo and Steve go on a game showe called 'Dudes' (which was an obvious parody of the then FOX game show 'Studs') that was hosted by a guy named Pat (played by Canadian Derek McGrath, best known as Andy Andy on 'Cheers' or as Dr. Jeffcoat on 'My Secret Identity').  The trio go on the show looking for dates, but instead, Steve uses it to confess his love for Laura

In addition, Eubanks hosted a game show-within-a-TV-show on an episode of "Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air" back in the 90's, when Will was having an argument with his buddy Jazz and another friend. (I forget what that internal program was called, but it did have a question-and-answer round in which Will's competitors gave silly answers to take the early lead.)

I remember that one.  Excellent episode!

Written By: nally on 02/04/11 at 12:26 pm

On an episode of 'Family Matters', Eddie, Waldo and Steve go on a game showe called 'Dudes' (which was an obvious parody of the then FOX game show 'Studs') that was hosted by a guy named Pat (played by Canadian Derek McGrath, best known as Andy Andy on 'Cheers' or as Dr. Jeffcoat on 'My Secret Identity').  The trio go on the show looking for dates, but instead, Steve uses it to confess his love for Laura

On another episode of Family Matters, there was a courtroom-type program similar to the People's Court, which Steve and Carl go on after Steve sues Carl for killing a rare bug that belonged to him. Carl keeps insisting, "It was just a stupid bug!"

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/11 at 12:57 pm

Carl keeps insisting, "It was just a stupid bug!"

I almost didn't remember that episode until I remembered Carl saying this line.  That was a classic!  I can still see his confused goofy look on his face as he was saying it.  lol

Written By: whistledog on 02/04/11 at 1:08 pm

Here's a few actual TV shows that were featured within TV shows ...

Family Feud
♦ Mama's Family:  The Harpers compete on Family Feud, but end up losing because Mama didn't understand the last question
♦ 227:  Mary and Sandra compete on a special Neighbours episode.  Sandra's team ends up winning, but they don't win the fast money round because all the answers she gives involve Men.

Wheel of Fortune
♦ Gimme A Break:  Nell and Addy go on the show;  Addy wins a trip to NYC and takes Nell along
♦ 227:  Mary and Sondra compete against each other
♦ The A-Team:  Murdoch goes on the show and wins big after solving the puzzle with just one letter.

American Gladiators
♦ Family Matters:  Carl and Steve compete on the show to settle their differences
♦ Ellen:  Ellen becomes a contestant on the show and starts a romance with Nitro.

Written By: nally on 08/21/11 at 7:00 pm

The 2002 film Big Fat Liar had at least two films within a film. First and foremost, there was the internal "Big Fat Liar", based on a handwritten essay by the protagonist ('Jason Shepard', played by Frankie Muniz), which the antagonist ('Marty Wolf', played by Paul Giamatti) plots to turn into a major motion picture, but the protagonist takes huge steps to get the antagonist to confess... which he eventually does. At the end, the internal "BFL" is produced, and the protagonist receives his rightful credit. Earlier in the movie, the other film-within-the-film shown is "Whittaker & Fowl," which contains a bird as the main star, and one of its human stars is Jaleel White, who appears in the main BFL as himself and is often called Urkel (and even makes reference to his "Family Matters" days) by the antagonist.

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/11 at 7:24 pm

BFL was a great film.

In the movie Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles, the film being made is Lethal Agent 4, which is referenced as part of the Lethal Agent series of films, none of which were box office successes.

Written By: nally on 08/21/11 at 7:43 pm

And of course, the TV show "Full House" (1987-95) had a couple shows within the show. There was "Wake Up San Francisco" (introduced in the 2nd season, when Danny is assigned to co-host it with Rebecca; the two of them would retain that job (for the most part) throughout the rest of FH's run), as well as "The Ranger Joe Show" (a children's program introduced in Season 5; Joey first applies to replace the retiring Ranger Roy but initially makes a bad impression on him; Joey's stint would last about one whole year, after 'Jungle Jenny' overruns the show and humiliates Joey in a Season 6 episode; Joey quits that job in favor of a radio show with Uncle Jesse).

Once, an actual TV program was featured within "Full House", namely "Star Search", in episode 50, with the late Ed McMahon appearing as himself.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/21/11 at 8:24 pm

Groundhog Day....Phil Connors is watching, and answering all the questions correctly, Jeopardy.

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/11 at 10:06 pm

Groundhog Day....Phil Connors is watching, and answering all the questions correctly, Jeopardy.

I always thought that bit was funny.  He had the power to relive the same day again and again, so what does he do?  Impress a bunch of old people by becoming a "Jeopardy expert" ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/11 at 10:12 am

White Men Can't Jump-Jeopardy "Foods that begin with the letter Q."

-The Mary Tyler Moore Show.
-Newhart

Cat

Written By: Tia on 08/22/11 at 11:39 am

can anybody name the 90s action-sci fi classic that featured the 70s action sci-fi not-quite-classic "Night of the Lepus"?  ???

Written By: nally on 04/05/15 at 3:14 pm

Not mentioned yet... The Simpsons had the "Itchy & Scratchy Show", as well as the "Krusty The Clown show" (which were tied together).

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/05/15 at 8:44 pm

In the movie "Fame" they watched along with the audiance, the movie "Rocky Horror Picture Show."

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/06/15 at 2:07 am

In our universe, the Stargate TV writers had a lot of fun with Wormhole X-Treme! that they brought out for anniversary episodes.  In the show universe, Stargate Command realized there was no better cover for a top-secret programme than a ficticious TV show about a top-secret programme.

Written By: whistledog on 04/06/15 at 2:29 am

> "Seinfeld" was infamous for talking about fake movies that weren't real, such as "Firestorm" starring Harrison Ford and "Mountain High" starring Kevin Bacon and Susan Sarandon, but in several episodes, we see (or hear) bits of two movies called "Rochelle, Rochelle" and "Chunnel"

> In a 1980 episode of "Laverne & Shirley", Lenny and Squiggy become contestants on "The Dating Game"

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/07/15 at 10:40 pm

Then there are the movies that have several shows in them like Weird Al Yankovic's "UHF" (My favorite one being "Conan the Librarian")

Also John Ritter's "Stay Tuned"

Written By: nally on 04/09/15 at 11:15 pm

^ That is true.

For example, there's the movie Big Fat Liar (which had an eponymous film-within-a-film), which I mentioned earlier in this thread.

Also, Max Keeble's Big Move (a 2001 film) had, within the movie, a children's TV program about an Irish frog called "MacGoogles", complete with his own theme song ("MacGoogles is me name, I like a swampy bog...", sung in real life by voice actor Jess Harnell).

Written By: nally on 12/13/15 at 6:42 pm

An early episode of CHiPs had a game show called "Name Your Price", which appears in the same-named episode. In some ways it's kinda like The Price Is Right, in which contestants make (educated) guesses on the prices of merchandise. Ponch prepares to go on the show, studying prices of various items, including electronics and motorcycles. At the end of the episode, Ponch goes on the game show...

gives what he thinks is the correct price of a motorcycle, but loses out to another contestant. :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...