inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best song by a person/group named Frankie or Franke

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/06/11 at 8:28 am

I just happened to be listening to some of the music in my loved folder that begins with Frankie and thought it would make a fun poll...

Subject: Re: Best song by a person/group named Frankie or Franke

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/11 at 8:30 am

Can Frankie Laine and Frank Sinatra be added to the poll?

Written By: Henk on 02/06/11 at 8:38 am

My favorite is none of the above. I would've chosen "The Power of Love" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood, had it been in the poll.

Can Frankie Laine and Frank Sinatra be added to the poll?

Well, I can see why Frank Sinatra was left out. It's not Franke or Frankie, is it?

...But where's Frankee in this poll?  ::) ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/11 at 8:38 am

My favorite is none of the above. I would've chosen "The Power of Love" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood, had it been in the poll.

Well, I can see why Frank Sinatra was left out. It's not Franke or Frankie, is it?

Okey dokey!

Written By: Claybricks on 02/06/11 at 8:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E7y-48aer4

Franke & The Knockouts - Sweetheart {1981}

Dan

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/11 at 9:59 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD8_eUnBZuI

This version with Spanish sub-titles.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/06/11 at 4:57 pm

added it.. I'm nothing if not flexible

???

Written By: DJ Blaze on 02/06/11 at 8:20 pm

Where the heck is Frank Zappa?!

Written By: whistledog on 02/06/11 at 8:28 pm

How about old school forgotten 80s with 'Double Dutch Bus' by Frankie Smith? lol

I like Franke and the Knockouts.  Sweetheart was good, but I was always quite preferred 'You're My Girl'

Of the options in the poll, I picked 'Two Tribes' by FGTH.  It just missed the US Top 40, but it did exceedingly well in Canada and from what I remember, got more radio play here than Relax did.  The video with (a look-a-like) Ronald Regan and Konstantin Cherneko in the sand wrestling match was wicked!

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/06/11 at 10:24 pm

Where the heck is Frank Zappa?!

no one ever referred to him as a Frankie or Franke... he was just a Frank.  Same with Sinatra.  I hesitate to think of the glare you'd get from Ole Blue Eyes if you called him Franke if you didn't know him well.

Written By: Henk on 02/07/11 at 12:06 am

added it.. I'm nothing if not flexible

Thanks!  :) I casted my vote, and spread some karma.

???

I see she still got to #63 in the Hot 100 in 2004 with that song, much to my surprise.
It was a reaction to the Eamon song "F*** it (I Don't Want You Back)" that peaked at #16 in Hot 100 earlier the same year.

But of course I was not being serious. I would never have voted for the song anyway, and I know you're not a fan of rap music.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/07/11 at 8:59 am

I'm WAY old school, almost ancient to my generation here:

Frankie Avalon- Venus

It just portrays the optimism of 1950s America so well with no electronic instrments at all. Dede Dinah and Why are also honorable mentions.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/11 at 1:21 pm

Nobody dared called Frank Sinatra Frankie!

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/07/11 at 10:28 pm

I just happened to be listening to some of the music in my loved folder that begins with Frankie and thought it would make a fun poll...

What?  Five years of my life down the drain to figure out the lyrics for Frankie Smith - Double Dutch Bus?  And it's not even on the poll?

Fine, I'll click on "Relax" for the original, with "War" (DMC's "Frankie Goes To War" megamix) as an alternate if we're including remixes.

Five years.  And some other board solved it. 

But that other board is gone, even Google's cache of it is gone, but our third copy stayed up.  And that's what you're gonna get, Chuck.  The most persistent pop culture and trivia board in all the Internet :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/09/11 at 1:30 pm

What?  Five years of my life down the drain to figure out the lyrics for Frankie Smith - Double Dutch Bus?  And it's not even on the poll?

Fine, I'll click on "Relax" for the original, with "War" (DMC's "Frankie Goes To War" megamix) as an alternate if we're including remixes.

But that other board is gone, even Google's cache of it is gone, but our third copy stayed up.  And that's what you're gonna get, Chuck.  The most persistent pop culture and trivia board in all the Internet :)

well when you put it that way, I guess I have to add it.  you can change your vote too if you need to ...

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/09/11 at 9:48 pm

well when you put it that way, I guess I have to add it.  you can change your vote too if you need to ...

At last!  The past five years have now officially been totally worth it! :)

Written By: Claybricks on 02/09/11 at 11:03 pm

This works sometimes...

Wayback Machine

http://www.archive.org/

Dan

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/11/11 at 8:45 pm

It's gotta be "Relax" with the uncensored video!*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLGbXHc-Ce0

Impatient youths of the sun
Burning with many colours
Flick combs through hair in bathroom mirrors
F***ing with fusion and fashion
Dance in the beams of emerald lasers
Mating on suburban duvets
Come-splattered nuclear breeders
What a time that was!

-- Derek Jarman

*It's a little racy.  The fat guy with the shaving cream is wearing a g-string when he drops the toga.  The blonde with the teased hair looks a lot like a b*tchy punk girl from my high school who became a lap dancer in NYC for years.  Don't know what she looks like now, prolly more debauched than I!
:-[

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/12/11 at 6:59 pm

*It's a little racy.  The fat guy with the shaving cream is wearing a g-string when he drops the toga.  The blonde with the teased hair looks a lot like a b*tchy punk girl from my high school who became a lap dancer in NYC for years.  Don't know what she looks like now, prolly more debauched than I!
:-Body Double.  (I vaguely remember actual nudity, but I believe the 5:13 version on Youtube is closer to the uncut one from the movie, vs. the 3:55 version on Youtube that was the usual version of the video that got aired.)

Written By: danootaandme on 02/12/11 at 9:13 pm

Walk Like A Man - Frankie Valli and the Four Season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMYZBVbifh8

Written By: zcrito on 02/13/11 at 6:01 pm

Let's see...

Frankie Goes to Hollywood - Relax 
Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers - Why Do Fools Fall in Love
Frankie Valli - Can't Take My Eyes Off You
Frankie Valli - Grease

are the only ones I like, and since you can only pick one (1), I went with the song I think is the best --

Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers - Why Do Fools Fall in Love

Written By: Paul on 02/14/11 at 9:57 am

Here's high-kickin' Frankie Vaughan frightening the life out of Gene McDaniels' original - great arrangement!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBdumT3Pieg

Written By: whistledog on 02/15/11 at 12:44 am

There is also Frankie Miller, known in his native UK fir the '78 hit Darlin'

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/15/11 at 4:57 pm

Frankie Beverly and Maze - Southern Girl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-G83kPfs2s&feature=related

(No school like the old school.  ;))

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/11 at 2:44 pm

There is also Frankie Miller, known in his native UK fir the '78 hit Darlin'
...you beat me to it!

Check for new replies or respond here...