inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Something I find to be ironic...

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/06/11 at 11:26 pm

The 1990s are considered to be a dark decade, while the 2000s are considered to be a campy decade, correct?

What I find ironic is that, given the booming economy of the 1990s and the overall optimistic atmosphere, why are the '90s considered to be so dark? Moreover, practically everything went to sh*t in the '00s, and yet the decade is still considered to be very campy. Logically, shouldn't the two decades be switched around, so that the '90s was the campy decade and the '00s was the dark decade?

I'm sorry if I sound a little ignorant in this post, but I've been confused over this for a while, and I just had to bring it up.

Subject: Re: Something I find to be ironic...

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/06/11 at 11:33 pm

The 1990s are considered to be a dark decade, while the 2000s are considered to be a campy decade, correct?

What I find ironic is that, given the booming economy of the 1990s and the overall optimistic atmosphere, why are the '90s considered to be so dark? Moreover, practically everything went to sh*t in the '00s, and yet the decade is still considered to be very campy. Logically, shouldn't the two decades be switched around, so that the '90s was the campy decade and the '00s was the dark decade?

I'm sorry if I sound a little ignorant in this post, but I've been confused over this for a while, and I just had to bring it up.

Personally for me, I never looked at the 90s as a dark period.  I looked at the 2000s as a dark period, especially the 9/11 situation.

Written By: Davester on 02/07/11 at 12:28 am

The decade began with a war.  America's first since Vietnam (not counting the smaller scale raids and peacekeeping missions) and a recession with high unemployment.  On the pop cultural front, reminiscent of the 1970s, a string of films were released depicting the end of the world, or the threat of it - Alternate realities, often disturbing, such as The Matrix, Fight Club and others helped add to the sullen and somber mood.  The dark mood even manifested itself in the world of animation, long the exclusive domain of kids, with Bart Simpson - pop cultural icon and role model to wayward youth everywhere. Pop music took a turn for the bleak and cheerless for awhile in the 1990s, awash with vitriol and hostile rhetoric (but standard fare for Metal, as always... ;) )

"when you stare into the abyss, sometimes it stares back..."

Written By: Davester on 02/07/11 at 12:34 am

Call it dark, but at least it had soul... 8)

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/07/11 at 2:44 am

Let me reiterate. Yes, the political and worldly landscape of the 2000s was very dark, but the pop culture seemed to be much more light-hearted.

Written By: joeman on 02/07/11 at 10:11 am

Let me reiterate. Yes, the political and worldly landscape of the 2000s was very dark, but the pop culture seemed to be much more light-hearted.

Political climate in the 90s were pretty dark too, considering the Yugoslavia conflict in 98, the Iraq War in 90-91, and the Somalia conflict in 93.  Also, the economy was only good in 1998-2002, the early 90s had a recession.

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/07/11 at 7:31 pm

What about the mid '90s economy? How was it then?

Written By: weareclouds on 02/21/11 at 4:25 pm

In my opinion. The 90s weren't really 'dark' per se. They were just a little gross. All the cartoon's were a little too dirty for kids to watch. But, we did anyways. And, there was a few disaster movies. But, alot of them had other stories interwoven into the movie. Like Twister for example. It wasn't all about the tornadoes. It was also kind of a love story.

2000's weren't really campy either. They were just bland. Nothing really had it's own identity anymore. And, there was more focus on news and media than pop culture. And, what little pop culture there was all revolved around reality TV or technology.  Especially after 9/11. 2000 and 2001 (until sept.) was actually kinda a fun time. After 9/11 it all went to heck in a handbasket. Life was dark. I hope this decade breaks out of that trend.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/22/11 at 10:35 pm

What about the mid '90s economy? How was it then?

I read on wikipedia that the 'boom years' were from 1995 to 2000.

Anyways, i think the reason why 90s were considered 'dark' was because the pop culture was dark; grunge, Marilyn Manson, violent videogames, etc.

Written By: Davester on 02/22/11 at 11:51 pm

In my opinion. The 90s weren't really 'dark' per se. They were just a little gross. All the cartoon's were a little too dirty for kids to watch. But, we did anyways. And, there was a few disaster movies. But, alot of them had other stories interwoven into the movie. Like Twister for example. It wasn't all about the tornadoes. It was also kind of a love story.

Twister was all about the tornadoes.  As a rule, movie makers have to throw-in a love story to attract my girlfriend to the box office...

Kind of like the unfortunate decade itself, actually.  That era was all about the tornadoes, minus the love story...

Written By: Shiv on 02/23/11 at 12:03 am

The 2000s just sucked. Glad they're over.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/23/11 at 12:30 am

The 2000s just sucked. Glad they're over.

What do you think of the 2010s?

Written By: 80sfan on 02/23/11 at 12:30 am

Twister was all about the tornadoes.  As a rule, movie makers have to throw-in a love story to attract my girlfriend to the box office...

Kind of like the unfortunate decade itself, actually.  That era was all about the tornadoes, minus the love story...

I love that film!

Written By: Davester on 02/23/11 at 12:36 am

I love that film!

Me too...

Written By: Shiv on 02/23/11 at 10:00 am

What do you think of the 2010s?

Ehh...I think they're a little more positive. But I sure don't like this lack of rock so far. And there's still some 00s residue  8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 02/23/11 at 10:57 am

Ehh...I think they're a little more positive. But I sure don't like this lack of rock so far. And there's still some 00s residue  8-P

;D Yes, it is still early in the decade.

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/11 at 10:00 pm

Here's something that I find to be ironic ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc

Written By: joeman on 02/26/11 at 1:41 pm

Here's something that I find to be ironic ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jne9t8sHpUc

LOL, karma

Written By: kevwa10191 on 03/18/11 at 1:51 pm

when I think of the 90s, nothing special really comes to mind.

When I think about the 2000's, a few things do, such as 9/11, and how everyone suddenly became emo (thank god thats starting to fade).

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 4:10 am

The dark mood even manifested itself in the world of animation

interesting. yes, there weren't any adult cartoons really since Fritz the Cat before the Simpsons. personally, i found the 90s quite dark, but like the 70s, i think it was a mix of dark and light stuff. not as completely light as the 80s.

Written By: Davester on 04/07/11 at 1:39 am

Call it dark, but at least it had soul... 8)

Shut-up you presumptuous barstige...

Written By: Tam on 04/28/11 at 10:18 pm

What the hell does campy mean?

Dictionary.com

camp·y   

–adjective, camp·i·er, camp·i·est.
of, pertaining to, or characterized by camp: a campy send-up of romantic operetta.

World English Dictionary
campy  (ˈkæmpɪ)

— adj  , campier , campiest
1. effeminate; affected in mannerisms, dress, etc
2. relating to or considered characteristic of homosexuals
3. consciously artificial, exaggerated, vulgar, or mannered; self-parodying, esp when in dubious taste

Slang Dictionary

camp definition

n.
something cute and out of fashion; something of such an anachronistic style as to be intriguing. :  Nobody really knows what style camp really is, and very few even care.
mod.
and campy. overdone; out of fashion and intriguing. :  Most camp entertainment is pretentious and overdrawn.
mod.
having to do with homosexual persons and matters. :  She is so camp, I could scream!

-----------------------------------------------
Fabulous!!!
The 2000s were gay, homosexual, effeminate, whatever.
Gah! I am so tired of decadeology and comparisons.
I would have deleted this thread but I want my post to be here!
;D

Written By: Younger Derek on 04/30/11 at 7:11 am

3.  consciously artificial, exaggerated, vulgar, or mannered; self-parodying, esp when in dubious taste

this would describe 2000-2009 pretty well  ;D ... though, im not sure if it was consciously those things  :D

Check for new replies or respond here...