inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How strong was the hate for teen pop back then?

Written By: kitkat1991 on 03/14/11 at 9:59 am

I don't know which section to put this in because it was huge in the both  late 90s to early 00s. It was everywhere.  I know many people that hate Justin Bieber now, but I want to know from someone who was a young adult back then. I was a huge teeny bopper when i was kid.  I have an older brother who was a teen at that time and even he liked some of it. Was the hate worse back then than it  is for teen acts like Mylie Cyrus and Justin Bieber?

Just curious :)

Subject: Re: How strong was the hate for teen pop back then?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/14/11 at 1:17 pm

I don't know which section to put this in because it was huge in the both  late 90s to early 00s. It was everywhere.  I know many people that hate Justin Bieber now, but I want to know from someone who was a young adult back then. I was a huge teeny bopper when i was kid.  I have an older brother who was a teen at that time and even he liked some of it. Was the hate worse back then than it  is for teen acts like Mylie Cyrus and Justin Bieber?

Just curious :)
I am not sure on hating Justin Bieber, but who is he?

Written By: nally on 03/14/11 at 1:19 pm

A Canadian-born teen pop singer who is well-known in North America. I think he debuted in 2009 at age 15; that's when I first remember hearing his name.

Written By: whistledog on 03/14/11 at 1:27 pm

The only hate for it I remember was from the metal heads and hip-hoppers who didn't like that kind of music.

Someone who listened to Metallica or Public Enemy wouldn't have been caught dead listening to Milli Vanilli or Debbie Gibson (oops, I mean Deborah Gibson.  Oh wait, it was her 80s period, so I can call her Debbie LOL)

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/16/11 at 6:35 am

Okay. Since this is more than a decade, I can take this back to the first wave of the late 1950s/early '60s. Early on in this era, the hate was strong enough to prompt a record breaking week on a radio station (see my "Rock and Roll record breaking weak" thread on the before the '70s board). The bubblegum wave in the late '60s/early '70s was hated by two camps: the old (who probably had the "this is is music?" feeling), AND the serious psych/hard rock people who felt that music was too "light and immature". Yuppies HATED the Debbie Gibson/Tiffany/New Kids on the Block feeling that it couldn't get anymore prepackaged, preferring metal, alternative, and the then-burgoning hip hop genre. And of course Generation X hated the late '90s/early '00s wave. But eventually, it all comes back as oldies/old school .

Written By: 80sfan on 03/16/11 at 11:58 am

I don't think people hate it as much as they say they do  ;D because just look at the record sales of the Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Britney, and Christina back in the late 90s/early 00s. They just didn't go double platinum; we were talking albums that sold 6 million copies or more!!

Most of the boy bands had a diamond album or two. Britney had 2 diamond albums and Christina's 1st album sold 8 million+.

What I found out recently was that 1999 (the teen pop era) was one of the most commercially successful year in the music industries.....EVER!

Written By: tv on 03/16/11 at 2:56 pm

Okay. Since this is more than a decade, I can take this back to the first wave of the late 1950s/early '60s. Early on in this era, the hate was strong enough to prompt a record breaking week on a radio station (see my "Rock and Roll record breaking weak" thread on the before the '70s board). The bubblegum wave in the late '60s/early '70s was hated by two camps: the old (who probably had the "this is is music?" feeling), AND the serious psych/hard rock people who felt that music was too "light and immature". Yuppies HATED the Debbie Gibson/Tiffany/New Kids on the Block feeling that it couldn't get anymore prepackaged, preferring metal, alternative, and the then-burgoning hip hop genre. And of course Generation X hated the late '90s/early '00s wave. But eventually, it all comes back as oldies/old school .
Yes that was sad that teen-pop in 1999-2000 was popular as it was considering it replaced something as good as grunge music that was just popular a few years earlier.

Written By: tv on 03/16/11 at 3:00 pm

I don't think people hate it as much as they say they do  ;D because just look at the record sales of the Backstreet Boys, Nsync, Britney, and Christina back in the late 90s/early 00s. They just didn't go double platinum; we were talking albums that sold 6 million copies or more!!

Most of the boy bands had a diamond album or two. Britney had 2 diamond albums and Christina's 1st album sold 8 million+.

What I found out recently was that 1999 (the teen pop era) was one of the most commercially successful year in the music industries.....EVER!

Yeah album sales were like at such a  high point at that time. It was the economy that propelled 1999-2000 era teen pop's popularity in my opinion.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/16/11 at 5:53 pm

Yeah album sales were like at such a  high point at that time. It was the economy that propelled 1999-2000 era teen pop's popularity in my opinion.

The economy was at it's peak in early 2000. Isn't it weird that album sales kinda went with the economy also?

Teen pop was bubbly and upbeat so I also think it reflected the economy and people's mood in my opinion.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 03/18/11 at 5:01 am

nahhh everyone that i know liked it :p

Its the best times for pop music

and indeed 1999 AND 2000 was THE REAL "I HAVE THE TIME OF MY LIFE" ERA!!! to me anyway  8) 8)

no i dont think a lot of people hate that era i mean post grunge and punk rock, hip hop and RnB was awesome too back then!!! not just pop and even others who are usually not a pop person enjoy the pop music back then!!!

i would trade NSYNC with Justin Bieber

justin bieber is only 17 years old as of 2011 btw

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/11 at 2:28 am

He was on television last night and I did not realise it was him!

Check for new replies or respond here...