inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Harry Potter Book Club! Read it and discuss it!

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/08/11 at 1:53 pm

Hello All. Well I am reading Harry Potter for the first time.  With much coaxing from some individuals, last month I decided to purchase Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone on a whim from the bookstore (now I am wondering why I just did not borrow it from the library and save some dough - in the event I did not like it).  A couple weeks ago, we have had some wicked storms go through the area, and it knocked out dish and internet a couple times so it was the perfect time to entertain my 2 daughters (7 and 9) and read it too them. 

I have actually been quite surprised, and my husband has been enjoying sitting and listening to me read to them (funny IMO).  I am terrible with movies, as I always get up and move about, or do something else while watching them.  So these reading sessions have made it all make sense a bit more. 

SO I am asking those of you who would like to, or have or want to...  To have a book discussion about it.

I know my 7 year old is loving it; my 9 year old who claims not to like HP, gets somewhat bored - but she still sits and listens.  We shall see.  To save some penny's I will probably be borrowing the books from the library after this.  But I think we will continue to read them.  We have just made it through the sorting hat. So I now have the background of Harry (what they have told me), his life with the Dursley's, Hagrid coming and fetching him, buying his school stuff, and the train to Hogwarts and now through the Sorting Hat.  So I know the 4 houses of the school, and some of the meaning behind them.

Not sure what everyone wants to discuss... So I am opening it up!

Subject: Re: Harry Potter Book Club! Read it and discuss it!

Written By: 80sfan on 06/09/11 at 10:01 pm

To each his own, but I like Harry Potter.

I guess my first question to you is..... Do YOU like it?

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/10/11 at 8:01 pm

To each his own, but I like Harry Potter.

I guess my first question to you is..... Do YOU like it?
Yes I am liking it, as I said above.  I am pleasantly surprised. 

Written By: 80sfan on 06/10/11 at 9:40 pm

Who is your favorite character? Mine is Hermione for some odd reason.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/10/11 at 9:41 pm

What's your favorite thing about the book.... so far?

Mine is when Harry finally gets to Hogwarts and they describe the Great Hall. What a magical place I thought.  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/12/11 at 8:09 am

Who is your favorite character? Mine is Hermione for some odd reason.

I am not really sure who my favorite character is.  I am not a person who really picks a certain person.  I love how Hagrid is involved and described.  Even though Dumbledore is not too evident in the first book, he seems like a kind person.  Mrs. McGonaggal makes me laugh with her matronly ways, but then she had Harry on the Quidditch (sp) team.

And the team of Ron, Hermione and Harry seem to be a great team, each with their strengths.  Ron is very loyal and faces everything with a come what may attitude.  Hermione the constant book worm, always the best of the class.  Harry, just trying to figure it all out, past and present. 

Even Snapes has touched me, with his sneaking ways. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/12/11 at 8:11 am

What's your favorite thing about the book.... so far?

Mine is when Harry finally gets to Hogwarts and they describe the Great Hall. What a magical place I thought.  ;D
I actually like it when they face the troll on Halloween night. Courage and stupidity all rolled into one.  It was quite an entertaining read!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/11 at 5:59 pm

There are several things that happen in all the books that I just love. I'm not going to spoil it for you, Sami so I right now, I will just say that Prof. McGonagal is my favorite character. It was funny when I first read it (BEFORE I saw the movie), I imagined her as an older Diana Rigg.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/about/images/rigg_thumb.jpg

After seeing the movies, I can't imagine anyone but Maggie Smith. When I read (or listen to the audiobooks), I have Maggie Smith in my head.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/11 at 6:20 pm

There are several things that happen in all the books that I just love. I'm not going to spoil it for you, Sami so I right now, I will just say that Prof. McGonagal is my favorite character. It was funny when I first read it (BEFORE I saw the movie), I imagined her as an older Diana Rigg.

After seeing the movies, I can't imagine anyone but Maggie Smith. When I read (or listen to the audiobooks), I have Maggie Smith in my head.

Cat

Maggie Smith was the first face that popped up for McGonagal when I read Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone (again, before I saw the movie or knew who was going to play McGonagal)! It was like Smith was born and destined to play her! Kinda eerie, but in a cool way!  :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/14/11 at 8:47 pm

Cat

Maggie Smith was the first face that popped up for McGonagal when I read Sorcerer's Stone/Philosopher's Stone (again, before I saw the movie or knew who was going to play McGonagal)! It was like Smith was born and destined to play her! Kinda eerie, but in a cool way!  :)
unfortunately I have seen the movie before the books... so my mind is sorta already set with who's who.  BTW - we have made it all the way through Sorcerer's Stone and now onto (Chamber of secrets) - unfortunately it is not the real book (didn't get to the bookstore, or library yet) - but I was able to download it on the computer (horrible with errors and such)... 

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/14/11 at 8:50 pm

Thank you for posting!  The ending was definitely my favorite in the Sorcerer's stone. 

Written By: 80sfan on 06/14/11 at 10:04 pm

unfortunately I have seen the movie before the books... so my mind is sorta already set with who's who.  BTW - we have made it all the way through Sorcerer's Stone and now onto (Chamber of secrets) - unfortunately it is not the real book (didn't get to the bookstore, or library yet) - but I was able to download it on the computer (horrible with errors and such)... 

Wow, so you're reading Chambers now eh? How'd you like Sorcerer's Stone?

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/15/11 at 9:56 am

Wow, so you're reading Chambers now eh? How'd you like Sorcerer's Stone?
I liked it enough to be reading the next one.  The girls keep asking me to read it to them. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/11 at 10:35 am

I liked it enough to be reading the next one.  The girls keep asking me to read it to them. 

So the 9 year old likes it but just won't admit it?  ;)

I'm glad you see why Q & I kept saying that you really need to read the books. They are great and the movies just don't do them justice.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/15/11 at 10:42 am

So the 9 year old likes it but just won't admit it?  ;)

I'm glad you see why Q & I kept saying that you really need to read the books. They are great and the movies just don't do them justice.

Cat
Ya... I think that with the 9 year old. 

I will say, the books are good - but not my usual reading.  I am enjoying reading them, but the subject matter still hasn't sucked me in.  I am reading them and enjoying them because the girl (only the 7 year old) ask me too and dad seems to be enjoying the reading as well.  The movie seemed to follow the first book quite a bit.  We will see about the rest - but I really need a better copy then the one online.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/11 at 10:52 am

Ya... I think that with the 9 year old. 

I will say, the books are good - but not my usual reading.  I am enjoying reading them, but the subject matter still hasn't sucked me in.  I am reading them and enjoying them because the girl (only the 7 year old) ask me too and dad seems to be enjoying the reading as well.   The movie seemed to follow the first book quite a bit.  We will see about the rest - but I really need a better copy then the one online.

For the most part, all the movies followed the books but there were just so much in the books that a lot of it was left out. Of course that is the same with any book that was turned into a movie. (Well, IF they follow the book ). I am very happy that J.K. Rowling MADE SURE that Hollywood didn't rewrite her book. I really hate when they do that.

As for the story, I think the third book is when things start to really fall into place. All the books after that really build upon each other.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/15/11 at 11:00 am

For the most part, all the movies followed the books but there were just so much in the books that a lot of it was left out. Of course that is the same with any book that was turned into a movie. (Well, IF they follow the book ). I am very happy that J.K. Rowling MADE SURE that Hollywood didn't rewrite her book. I really hate when they do that.

As for the story, I think the third book is when things start to really fall into place. All the books after that really build upon each other.

Cat
I didn't see a lot in the first - but maybe that was just me.  I know there were a few things (the letters and the uncle and such), my 7 year old kept saying (they have to leave some stuff out, to save time)...  But I think the key stuff was there.  We watched the movie on a rainy morning after we finished book 1 - thank goodness Target has the HP movies on sale for $5 . 

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/15/11 at 8:42 pm

Thank you for posting!   The ending was definitely my favorite in the Sorcerer's stone.   

All I will say, since I don't want to give anything away, is that you need to keep your eye on "he who will not be named", Lord Voldermort.  And have a wonderful read into a delightful fantasy world, as complete and compelling a world as Middle Earth and the Lord of the rings trilogy, which you also could read to your girls (and hubby)

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/17/11 at 6:34 am

All I will say, since I don't want to give anything away, is that you need to keep your eye on "he who will not be named", Lord Voldermort.  And have a wonderful read into a delightful fantasy world, as complete and compelling a world as Middle Earth and the Lord of the rings trilogy, which you also could read to your girls (and hubby)
Nope...  I tried the hobbit and lord of the rings took many times, never could get very far into them.  I have tried several times throughout the past 25 years (I have my deceased brothers set of books) I still haven't seen the movies either (not going to either).  I enjoy sci.fi. Like Michael Crichton... But that is normally as close to fantasy as I go. 

Written By: 80sfan on 06/17/11 at 9:19 am

Nope...  I tried the hobbit and lord of the rings took many times, never could get very far into them.  I have tried several times throughout the past 25 years (I have my deceased brothers set of books) I still haven't seen the movies either (not going to either).  I enjoy sci.fi. Like Michael Crichton... But that is normally as close to fantasy as I go. 

Wow, you and I have similiar tastes when it comes to books. I'm not a big fan of Lord of the Rings, but I don't hate it either. AND I like Michael Crichton's 'Jurassic Park'!  :o

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/17/11 at 7:21 pm

Different strokes for different folks.  I guess the historian in me draws me into TLOTR

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/17/11 at 11:40 pm

It is so wonderful to learn how a family comes together to enjoy time together with BOOKS. And a great series it is, too. Slog through 'Chamber of Secrets' (the worst Book and Film IMHO) and from there you wont stop. Be forwarned by Book 3 that things get darker (Not horribly dark; but somehow I get the impression some of the storyline events his might be unsettling to some of your family)

I am 40 ; I dont read fantasy books in general but damn Jk Rowling makes a wonderfully compelling story, with memorable characters and fun situations. That is what kept me and my wife Harry Potter fans from the time we first picked up the book.

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/19/11 at 9:45 am

It is so wonderful to learn how a family comes together to enjoy time together with BOOKS. And a great series it is, too. Slog through 'Chamber of Secrets' (the worst Book and Film IMHO) and from there you wont stop. Be forwarned by Book 3 that things get darker (Not horribly dark; but somehow I get the impression some of the storyline events his might be unsettling to some of your family)

I am 40 ; I dont read fantasy books in general but damn Jk Rowling makes a wonderfully compelling story, with memorable characters and fun situations. That is what kept me and my wife Harry Potter fans from the time we first picked up the book.
It has been a wonderful family experience!  We are at the whomping willow chapter right now!  Sitting around the campfire and reading the story! 

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/22/11 at 3:56 pm

Well we are through the whomping willow, gilderoy Lockhart, mudbloods and murmurs, the deathday party, and writing on the wall!  Definitely noticing a few differences between the movie and the book!

We are not traveling as well tgrough this one!  Seems to be taking us some time!

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/26/11 at 10:43 am

Done with book two... FINALLY ( man if the first book was such a struggle to read it, we probably would not have gone further).  Struggling to keep attention focused for a chapter during it.  Even I found myself growing board and losing my place....  (Nothing I can really put my finger on though - as far as reasoning.  Perhaps just too much describing and no real adventures till the end). 

We borrowed the Prisoner of Azkaban from the library yesterday.  Not sure when we will start it. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/26/11 at 10:56 am

Done with book two... FINALLY ( man if the first book was such a struggle to read it, we probably would not have gone further).  Struggling to keep attention focused for a chapter during it.  Even I found myself growing board and losing my place....  (Nothing I can really put my finger on though - as far as reasoning.  Perhaps just too much describing and no real adventures till the end). 

We borrowed the Prisoner of Azkaban from the library yesterday.  Not sure when we will start it. 

I think you will find that PoA is much better than CoS.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/26/11 at 11:28 am

Cat
we hope so... or we won't be going much further...  (the last 3 chapters where alright; but the rest was just a pure struggle)

Written By: gibbo on 07/03/11 at 6:24 am

I'm not a huge fan of HP. However, having four kids, I could not really avoid Harry at all. I took them to all of the movies so far (the older ones are planning their assault on the midnight opening session of the final film). But ... Iwill still have the ounger one to take to see it.  Well....she'll be my excuse anyway! ;)  I mostly enjoy the films...

I like when something like HP comes along. The kids make it trendy and everyone MUST read it. This means that there is less time for Ipods, facebook, youtube, etc etc. They actually sit still, are quiet and theyt are practising their reading skills. It's all good as far as I'm concerned! :)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/03/11 at 5:50 pm

we hope so... or we won't be going much further...  (the last 3 chapters where alright; but the rest was just a pure struggle)

As a Harry Potter fan I do hope you continue to read the books. As a human being, I'll forgive you if you don't like the books!  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/03/11 at 5:50 pm

Cat

My favorite is Goblet of Fire. What's yours?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/11 at 10:54 am

My favorite is Goblet of Fire. What's yours?

I'm really not too sure. I love them all. I think it may be a toss up between the Prisoner of Azkaban & The Order of the Phoenix. What I really love about the entire series is how the dots connect-for example, the connection between Lily & James to Sirius and the connection to Snape-etc. etc. Also in the last book all roads seem to point to Godric's Hallow. (I'm trying to describe what I mean without giving away the plot for those who have not read it yet.  ;) ) But it is those connections-to me anyway-that just makes the entire story wonderful. Otherwise, you just have your regular good vs evil story.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/05/11 at 11:16 am

I'm really not too sure. I love them all. I think it may be a toss up between the Prisoner of Azkaban & The Order of the Phoenix. What I really love about the entire series is how the dots connect-for example, the connection between Lily & James to Sirius and the connection to Snape-etc. etc. Also in the last book all roads seem to point to Godric's Hallow. (I'm trying to describe what I mean without giving away the plot for those who have not read it yet.  ;) ) But it is those connections-to me anyway-that just makes the entire story wonderful. Otherwise, you just have your regular good vs evil story.

Cat

I'm re-reading Deathly Hallows.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/11 at 5:16 pm

I'm re-reading Deathly Hallows.  :(

Why the frowny face?

I will probably re-listen to the audiobooks very soon.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/05/11 at 5:58 pm

Why the frowny face?

I will probably re-listen to the audiobooks very soon.

Cat

Don't look at it as a frown face, look at it as a mysterious and sneaky face!  ;D

I'm sneaking off to my room to read it.  :D

Written By: snozberries on 07/06/11 at 12:21 am

Yes I am liking it, as I said above.  I am pleasantly surprised. 

This makes me so happy !  Sorry I haven't been reading like I promised but with the last film coming out I just didn't want the descrepancies so fresh in my head. I will pick up the books after I watch the last film. Promise!

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/06/11 at 9:46 am

I'm not a huge fan of HP. However, having four kids, I could not really avoid Harry at all. I took them to all of the movies so far (the older ones are planning their assault on the midnight opening session of the final film). But ... Iwill still have the ounger one to take to see it.  Well....she'll be my excuse anyway! ;)  I mostly enjoy the films...

I like when something like HP comes along. The kids make it trendy and everyone MUST read it. This means that there is less time for Ipods, facebook, youtube, etc etc. They actually sit still, are quiet and they are practicing their reading skills. It's all good as far as I'm concerned! :)

The girls seem to be enjoying sitting and reading together.  I COMPLETELY agree that it is a good thing. I guess, since I (dad did read a chapter) am the one reading it too them, and we only have one copy of the book.  They are practicing their comprehension skills though.  It is a rather difficult read with the "dialect" and slang being wrote into it.  I sometimes have to figure out what they are saying.  It has been quite fun.

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/06/11 at 9:48 am

As a Harry Potter fan I do hope you continue to read the books. As a human being, I'll forgive you if you don't like the books!  ;D

We are still reading, it has been a little slow - but we have been quite busy, and with a "library book" I do not feel as much freedom to take it with.  So I did not take it with to the swimming pool, and grandma's house and such.  We are on chapter 6 - Talons and Tea leaves now.

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/06/11 at 9:48 am

Cat
Thanks for keeping this anonymous  8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/06/11 at 9:50 am

This makes me so happy !   Sorry I haven't been reading like I promised but with the last film coming out I just didn't want the descrepancies so fresh in my head. I will pick up the books after I watch the last film. Promise!
I will hold you too that  8)  (although I do not believe I will get through all 7 books, by the fifteenth) We are only to chapter six in the Prisoner of Azkaban

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/07/11 at 10:59 am

As far as film-faithfulness-to-book standards, Half blood Prince is the worst; as far as acting and film direction, Chamber of Secrets is the worst.

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/07/11 at 2:17 pm

We are now on Chapter 13 Gryfendor vs Ravenclow

I have read about the Sirius/James Potter relationship....  Scabbers is thin (and actually right now missing - only a blood stain), along with the DADA prof. is ailing, Harry has a new broom, and Hagrid is sad.  I will say this book is much better than the last!

Written By: karen on 07/07/11 at 4:59 pm

The girls seem to be enjoying sitting and reading together.  I COMPLETELY agree that it is a good thing. I guess, since I (dad did read a chapter) am the one reading it too them, and we only have one copy of the book.  They are practicing their comprehension skills though.  It is a rather difficult read with the "dialect" and slang being wrote into it.  I sometimes have to figure out what they are saying.  It has been quite fun.

I can translate if you need it

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/07/11 at 5:09 pm

I can translate if you need it
I think I got the translation, I just have to think about it, the dialect is what is gettting me...  I end up with some horrible accent cross that sounds like a southern pirate.... :P

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/10/11 at 10:17 am

And we have finished Prisoner of Azkaban!  Awesome book, my favorite by far!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/10/11 at 10:46 am

Told ya so.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/10/11 at 11:09 am

Told ya so.  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat
Yes you did, and good thing it was - cause I would have definitely given up if it was like Chamber of Secrets! :P

Written By: 80sfan on 07/10/11 at 11:11 pm

Yay!!! Karma for liking the book!

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/11/11 at 4:53 pm

Yay!!! Karma for liking the book!
I just wish the library was open yesterday or today, to get the next book :-\\

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/11 at 5:04 pm

So, you are now at the stage where you want more, huh?  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/11/11 at 5:27 pm

Goblet of Fire is even better! But that's just my opinion of course! I told Cat that it was my fave!

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/11/11 at 5:37 pm

So, you are now at the stage where you want more, huh?  ;D ;D ;D

Cat
Well even though I would like to - I just do not see me getting through the whole books before the last movie :-\\

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/11/11 at 5:38 pm

Well even though I would like to - I just do not see me getting through the whole books before the last movie :-\\
I know it is my favorite movie - I like the triwizardolympics (or what ever the real name for them are). 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/11/11 at 6:54 pm

I know it is my favorite movie - I like the triwizardolympics (or what ever the real name for them are). 

Triwizard Tournament.  ;)

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/11/11 at 7:44 pm

Triwizard Tournament.  ;)

Cat
thanks - I wasn't even sure if Triwizard was correct (I was thinking wizard triathalon - but I knew that wasn't right)

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/12/11 at 11:54 am

Well we just picked up Goblet of Fire!  I will say that ms. Rowling seemed to have got windy in her last of the books!  Don't have to worry about this book being blown away!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/11 at 12:12 pm

Well we just picked up Goblet of Fire!  I will say that ms. Rowling seemed to have got windy in her last of the books!  Don't have to worry about this book being blown away!

Yup-each book gets bigger & bigger. But they all are worth the read.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 07/12/11 at 1:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ep1wJjAm8Q&feature=related

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/12/11 at 2:42 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ep1wJjAm8Q&feature=related
Due to storms in the area my internet will not load this  :\'(

I will remember to go back to this.

We have read chapters 1,2,3 ...

Written By: 80sfan on 07/12/11 at 3:25 pm

Due to storms in the area my internet will not load this  :\'(

I will remember to go back to this.

We have read chapters 1,2,3 ...

Oh, it was just for people who wanted to see JK Rowling in an interview with Ms. Winfrey, Lol. No pressure if you don't get to see it.

Wow, already 3 Chapters in? :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/11 at 4:30 pm

Oh, it was just for people who wanted to see JK Rowling in an interview with Ms. Winfrey, Lol. No pressure if you don't get to see it.

Wow, already 3 Chapters in? :o

I watched it. It was very interesting. I liked the part where they both said that they have had the phenomenon and they no longer have to seek it out where Micheal Jackson had the phenomenon with Thriller and HAD to recapture that (which he never really did). I think those two ladies have a very healthy outlook.

But, Harry Potter the Musical?  :-\\

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/14/11 at 6:51 am

Well we are through chapter 9 as of last night (the World Quiditch Cup)....  The book seems pretty entertaining so far!

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/14/11 at 4:31 pm

Now through Chapter 10... 8)

Did I mention on here (I know I did on FB) that I caught my oldest reading the book this morning (she was 3 pages into the chapter when I found her).  This from the girl who hates Harry Potter!  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/14/11 at 5:20 pm

Now through Chapter 10... 8)

Did I mention on here (I know I did on FB) that I caught my oldest reading the book this morning (she was 3 pages into the chapter when I found her).  This from the girl who hates Harry Potter!  :D

Yup-they all say they hate Harry.  ;)

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/14/11 at 8:42 pm

Does anyone know how long the movie is (Deathly Hallows part 2 that is)????  I keep trying to find it, and I am not fairing so well :P

scratch it - I found it runtime 145 min

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/14/11 at 10:30 pm

Sitting at the drive in waiting till midnight!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/15/11 at 11:40 am

Sitting at the drive in waiting till midnight!

So how was the movie? I know I can't ask you how much it kept to the book because I know you haven't gotten that far yet.

As for me, I will wait until it comes out on DVD and will add it to my library like I did with all the other ones. Shortly before getting it, we will probably start with the first movie and watch them all before watching the last one.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/15/11 at 11:57 am

So how was the movie? I know I can't ask you how much it kept to the book because I know you haven't gotten that far yet.

As for me, I will wait until it comes out on DVD and will add it to my library like I did with all the other ones. Shortly before getting it, we will probably start with the first movie and watch them all before watching the last one.

Cat
The movie was good!  I am sure the book was better!  But the movie was really good!  We will probably buy the movie as well, but the girls got caught up in the excitement & beings it's summer vacation, I thought it would be a good time!  We love the drive-in!  Not too far away, and we can pack coolers and snacks a plenty!  The bug screen really does add to the immense proportions of it all!  I will advise, to take the time and go watch the matinee!  We didn't see it 3-d; we enjoyed the 2-d (we have been disappointed with the last couple 3-d movies we saw)!

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/15/11 at 10:32 pm

Cool...at a DRIVE IN 8)...havent been to one since I was a toddler. :-\\

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/16/11 at 12:07 pm

Cool...at a DRIVE IN 8)...havent been to one since I was a toddler. :-\\
We enjoy it once or twice a season - they just built it in the past 5 years.  They have double features Wed - Sunday; we never seem to make it too the second feature.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/11 at 4:12 am

Goblet of Fire is the best book of the series in my opinion. My 2nd favorite is Prisoner of Azkaban.

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/22/11 at 10:17 pm

It was an awesome read!!!  We finished it today.  The girls wouldn't let me stop till it was finished today.  So that was 5 chapters.  That means tomorrow to the library for the order of the Phoenix!

Written By: snozberries on 07/22/11 at 10:49 pm

It was an awesome read!!!  We finished it today.  The girls wouldn't let me stop till it was finished today.  So that was 5 chapters.  That means tomorrow to the library for the order of the Phoenix!

some people hate it... I loved Order of the Phoenix!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/22/11 at 10:51 pm

some people hate it... I loved Order of the Phoenix!

I heard that Chamber of Secrets is the most hated!

Written By: snozberries on 07/22/11 at 10:55 pm

I heard that Chamber of Secrets is the most hated!

I know people who didn't like that either but it seemed I heard more about Phoenix than Chamber.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/22/11 at 11:11 pm

I know people who didn't like that either but it seemed I heard more about Phoenix than Chamber.

I think it's because we kinda saw Harry had an emotional breakdown in 'Phoenix' during a lot of the book (especially when he was talking to Dumbledore towards the end). People wanted Harry sane, but how do you stay sane when you're 15 and been through so much in 5 years?

I love Phoenix also, but I like Half-Blood more.

Written By: snozberries on 07/22/11 at 11:25 pm

I think it's because we kinda saw Harry had an emotional breakdown in 'Phoenix' during a lot of the book (especially when he was talking to Dumbledore towards the end). People wanted Harry sane, but how do you stay sane when you're 15 and been through so much in 5 years?

I love Phoenix also, but I like Half-Blood more.

exactly...it's in Phoenix where Harry starts to become a man. He dealt with so much in books 1-4 not to mention the 11 yrs prior to getting accepted into hogwart's  how can he not evolve into angsty / emo Harry....at least he didn't linger in it for too long.

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/23/11 at 4:29 am

exactly...it's in Phoenix where Harry starts to become a man. He dealt with so much in books 1-4 not to mention the 11 yrs prior to getting accepted into hogwart's  how can he not evolve into angsty / emo Harry....at least he didn't linger in it for too long.
Eeeek....  Is this one the girls are not going to want me to read????

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/11 at 5:51 am

Eeeek....  Is this one the girls are not going to want me to read????

I dunno. You said the girls wouldn't want to read any of them  :P

The girls aren't going to understand angsty Harry for anything other than what it is. All the people I talk to about HP are adults so I don't know how kids reacted to it. But I know millions of kids read it and kept reading so your girls should be fine.

Remember I loved it and I love HP and I said read HP and u said the girls won't like it but they did so if history holds the girls should love OotP because I do  :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/23/11 at 8:08 am

I dunno. You said the girls wouldn't want to read any of them  :P

The girls aren't going to understand angsty Harry for anything other than what it is. All the people I talk to about HP are adults so I don't know how kids reacted to it. But I know millions of kids read it and kept reading so your girls should be fine.

Remember I loved it and I love HP and I said read HP and u said the girls won't like it but they did so if history holds the girls should love OotP because I do   :D
Just do not want another Chamber of secrets.... It was really tough to get through!  I had to force it!  And order of the Phoenix is much longer!

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/11 at 8:53 am

Just do not want another Chamber of secrets.... It was really tough to get through!  I had to force it!  And order of the Phoenix is much longer!

More stuff happens in Phoenix and the girls are more into the story and characters now than they were by book two.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/23/11 at 11:40 am

You also have to take into account that Harry is going through puberty. J.K. doesn't really dwell on that but it's there. I'm sure when kids read it, they won't recognize it but adults do.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/11 at 12:33 pm

You also have to take into account that Harry is going through puberty. J.K. doesn't really dwell on that but it's there. I'm sure when kids read it, they won't recognize it but adults do.

Cat

That is also true. Agnsty reads puberty. WMO reads all the crap he's had to endure. It was implied in my post but not really clear.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/11 at 4:00 pm

I was 14 when I read Order of the Phoenix so I could totally relate to the angstiness that Harry was going through. Harry is 15 in the book and I WAS 14 so the angstiness didn't turn me off to the book. But I'm also a guy so I could and can relate to Harry more!

Compared to the first four books the series takes a sharp turn in Phoenix. You already saw it becoming darker in Azkaban and Goblet (especially towards the end of Goblet) already, but there was still a lot of innocence in the 3rd and 4th book. But by Phoenix the series has a different and more mature feel (at least in my opinion).

Written By: snozberries on 07/23/11 at 4:22 pm

I was 14 when I read Order of the Phoenix so I could totally relate to the angstiness that Harry was going through. Harry is 15 in the book and I WAS 14 so the angstiness didn't turn me off to the book. But I'm also a guy so I could and can relate to Harry more!

Compared to the first four books the series takes a sharp turn in Phoenix. You already saw it becoming darker in Azkaban and Goblet (especially towards the end of Goblet) already, but there was still a lot of innocence in the 3rd and 4th book. But by Phoenix the series has a different and more mature feel (at least in my opinion).

I don't disagree  ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 07/23/11 at 4:39 pm

I don't disagree  ;)

Thank you.  ;D

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/18/11 at 7:01 am

Well we are through The Order of the Phoenix...  took us a bit, but that could be from all the fair stuff, forgot to take it with us to the camper.  Wasn't bad.  It is a little darker, but that seems to be the spots where Lord V is controlling Harry's mind, and the fact that Lord V is back along with all the Deatheaters and such... 

As we are watching all the films after we read the book, I must say this is the worst one for not following the book.  Things are missing, changed, or out of order, this is the first movie that I have noticed it in.  We shall see about the next couple. 

We are onto the next book Half Blood prince, into it 4 chapters and it seems rather exciting already.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/21/11 at 12:28 am

As we are watching all the films after we read the book, I must say this is the worst one for not following the book.  Things are missing, changed, or out of order, this is the first movie that I have noticed it in.  We shall see about the next couple. 

Half Blood Prince is the most egregious of that, sad to say.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/23/11 at 6:22 am

Half Blood Prince is the most egregious of that, sad to say.
Tge book has soo far been good, and although we own the movie, I do not remember it.  So as of now I cannot judge it.  But the book has been a really good read!

Written By: karen on 08/26/11 at 6:53 am

I am about halfway through Half-blood Prince

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/26/11 at 7:09 am

I am about halfway through Half-blood Prince
We are chapter 8 in Half-blood Prince, unfortunately school has started and we have been busy running, trying to get caught up in stuff.  And so we have not been able to read too much

Written By: 80sfan on 08/26/11 at 9:41 am

We are chapter 8 in Half-blood Prince, unfortunately school has started and we have been busy running, trying to get caught up in stuff.  And so we have not been able to read too much

Wow, you'll love the ending! I think it's one of the best endings in the Harry Potter books.

Written By: 2kidsami on 08/26/11 at 5:17 pm

Wow, you'll love the ending! I think it's one of the best endings in the Harry Potter books.
Looking forward to it  8)

Written By: karen on 08/29/11 at 3:38 am

I was crying near the end

Written By: 80sfan on 09/06/11 at 6:13 pm

I was crying near the end

It was quite dramatic eh? AND very teen angst if you ask me! JK wrote from the perspective of an angry (for all that he's been through) and sad 15 year old boy and that's what makes her a good writer!

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/06/11 at 8:22 pm

We are on Chapter 15 - we have slowed somewhat as school has started, and life has returned to it's chaos.  With Gymnastics, FFA, PTO and 4H meetings..  One Chapter a night , if we even get that done right now....  :\'(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/11 at 12:33 pm

We are on Chapter 15 - we have slowed somewhat as school has started, and life has returned to it's chaos.  With Gymnastics, FFA, PTO and 4H meetings..  One Chapter a night , if we even get that done right now....   :\'(

HBP? DH?

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/07/11 at 4:58 pm

HBP? DH?

Cat
Not sure what you are saying  :-\\

Scratch that - just got it... Half Blood Prince

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/11 at 6:28 pm

Not sure what you are saying  :-\\

Scratch that - just got it... Half Blood Prince

Yup-you got it.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/07/11 at 7:03 pm

Yup-you got it.  ;D ;D ;D

Cat
Must have been a blonde moment!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/26/11 at 3:51 pm

How's the reading coming along? We are in the middle of watching the movies. My SIL has never seen them-well she did see OOTP (nor read the books) so we are introducing her to them. Of course now after she has seen the first 4 movies, the OOTP made a lot more sense to her than it did the first time she saw it. I am trying to get her so interested that she will read the books. As everyone knows, the books have SO MUCH more than the movies could ever-otherwise the movies would be over 8 hours long-or longer.

Last night we watched HBP and when it was over she said...*SPOILIER ALERT*!!!! DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT HAPPENS AT THE END OF THIS MOVIE/BOOK!!!

What she said, "Man, that sucked! Dumbledore died!." It was just funny the way she said it.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/05/11 at 1:37 am

The book is going soo much slower now with school started!  With meetings, gymnastics, softball, football games, homework, reading logs... We just don't get much family reading time in!  We are able to still get family meals (thanks to the crockpot).., but that is an accomplishment!
:\'(
Still working at it though 2/3 through!

Written By: Tam on 10/18/11 at 12:03 am

I just got caught up with the thread.

I am so glad you are reading and enjoying the series sami.
I love all of the books, even though, like you, Chamber is the hardest for me to get through.

If I had to choose my favorite book out of the series - it would definitely be Deathly Hallows.
My favorite movie out of the series - it's a tie: Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. 8)

My husband won't read the books, but he has seen every movie. He even waited for Part II of Deathly Hallows with me. We watched Part I on dvd then went to the movies for Part II. I know what I am like, and so I had to wait until I could see DH complete... without months between the two.
(I am going to do the same thing with Twilight's Breaking Dawn. I will not go see it next month!)

Keep reading! Heck - a chapter a week even is better than none at all! ;)

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/24/11 at 10:36 am

I just got caught up with the thread.

I am so glad you are reading and enjoying the series sami.
I love all of the books, even though, like you, Chamber is the hardest for me to get through.

If I had to choose my favorite book out of the series - it would definitely be Deathly Hallows.
My favorite movie out of the series - it's a tie: Prisoner of Azkaban, Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix. 8)

My husband won't read the books, but he has seen every movie. He even waited for Part II of Deathly Hallows with me. We watched Part I on dvd then went to the movies for Part II. I know what I am like, and so I had to wait until I could see DH complete... without months between the two.
(I am going to do the same thing with Twilight's Breaking Dawn. I will not go see it next month!)

Keep reading! Heck - a chapter a week even is better than none at all! ;)
We just finished Chapter 26 (The Cave) - and will be reading Chapter 27 (The Lightening Struck Tower) today, and maybe more.  Problem - I do not own Deathly Hallows yet =(  So we will have to go get it!

Written By: 80sfan on 10/24/11 at 11:31 am

We just finished Chapter 26 (The Cave) - and will be reading Chapter 27 (The Lightening Struck Tower) today, and maybe more.  Problem - I do not own Deathly Hallows yet =(  So we will have to go get it!

The ending is explosive!! That's all I have to say.  :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/24/11 at 1:41 pm

The ending is explosive!! That's all I have to say.  :D
We are on the last chapter RIGHT NOW!

Written By: Tam on 10/24/11 at 2:21 pm

We are on the last chapter RIGHT NOW!

Enjoy!!!!
I am so excited for you!!!

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/24/11 at 2:26 pm

Enjoy!!!!
I am so excited for you!!!
OK  - Book is done, terrific.

A little sad as we do not have "Deathly Hollows" yet....  BUT SOON!

We are watching the movie 1/2BP now.

Written By: 2kidsami on 10/28/11 at 7:06 pm

Starting Deathly Hallows now - I was worried about having to go buy it, then I remembered I work at a Jr/Sr High School - OH YAH, LIBRARY  ;)

O0

Written By: Tam on 10/31/11 at 10:48 pm

Starting Deathly Hallows now - I was worried about having to go buy it, then I remembered I work at a Jr/Sr High School - OH YAH, LIBRARY  ;)

O0

Awesome!!!
Please keep a box of tissue handy.
That's all I am going to say.
;)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 11/18/11 at 4:32 pm

This thread makes me want to start reading the Harry Potter series again.  I haven't read them all since Deathly Hallows came out.  I think it's time!

Sami, what an awesome thing to be doing with/for your girls!  They will always remember it.  :)

Written By: 2kidsami on 11/20/11 at 9:39 am

This thread makes me want to start reading the Harry Potter series again.  I haven't read them all since Deathly Hallows came out.  I think it's time!

Sami, what an awesome thing to be doing with/for your girls!  They will always remember it.   :)
Start reading!!!  We still haven't finished deathly Hallows, just on Chapter 8!

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/11 at 11:48 am

YAY! Tam removed the spam!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/02/11 at 11:57 am

I reported it. Did you, too?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/02/11 at 11:59 am

Cat

Naw I knew she was reading the book so I figured she'd see it...  :-\\

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/08/11 at 7:20 am

There was spam????  I missed it  :\'(

My poor little thread spammed, all alone, no one here to comfort it.  :\'(

OH and still not done with DH - life/school/Christmas decorating (yep that's for you Q) keeps getting in the way :P

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/08/11 at 7:20 am

Cat
I am sorry, I did not see it

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/08/11 at 7:21 am

Naw I knew she was reading the book so I figured she'd see it...  :-\\
I missed it....

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/09/11 at 5:18 pm

I am sorry, I did not see it

There were two-probably by the same person. But, hail to the mods who removed it.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 12/09/11 at 6:12 pm

I love the Harry Potter movies overall. But 'Half-Blood Prince' and 'Deathly Hallows P 1 and 2' were really boring. The books were waaaay better.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/22/11 at 5:29 pm

I love the Harry Potter movies overall. But 'Half-Blood Prince' and 'Deathly Hallows P 1 and 2' were really boring. The books were waaaay better.
We like the movies, this Christmas break a goal is to get all of Deathly Hallows read we are on Chapter 13 right now.  Read 2 chapters today (when HP, Ron, and Hermoine go to the Ministry of Magic)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/22/11 at 5:33 pm

We like the movies, this Christmas break a goal is to get all of Deathly Hallows read we are on Chapter 13 right now.  Read 2 chapters today (when HP, Ron, and Hermoine go to the Ministry of Magic)

Glad you mentioned what was going on. I can't remember just by the chapter #.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/22/11 at 7:48 pm

Glad you mentioned what was going on. I can't remember just by the chapter #.

Cat
Not a problem, just a very memorable moment in the movie, and now the book  8)

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/23/11 at 4:14 pm

I think we have been spamified again...  Or at least I do not remember a yeast infection in Harry Potter

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/11 at 4:16 pm

I think we have been spamified again...  Or at least I do not remember a yeast infection in Harry Potter

Ah the ever dibilitating yeastus infecteromous spell.... how do you think they got Bellatrix into Azkabahn to begin with! :-D

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/11 at 4:18 pm

Tam is a'boot...... removing the spam methinks! ;-)

or not..... :/

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/11 at 6:17 pm

I did report that post. I'm surprise it is still here because the spam removers are usually pretty quick. Anyone else reported it?

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/11 at 6:46 pm

I did report that post. I'm surprise it is still here because the spam removers are usually pretty quick. Anyone else reported it?

Cat

I saw Chucky on earlier...he was in the Vampire thread... I figured he was removing that one first and then would come over here and get this one... I knew you had reported it so I didn't bother.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/23/11 at 6:58 pm

I just did, was racing back to heated Christmas candy - so I did not get it reported earlier...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/11 at 7:10 pm

Well, someone got it. Until next time.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 12/27/11 at 7:55 pm

I see they put the complete Harry Potter film series on Blu-Ray now.  Everytime a new one would come out, they would put it in a box set branded Years 1- X.  I kept thinking, why not just wait until all films are out, and get the one final boxed set.

I never saw past the f irst Harry film, but I may pick up this set and watch 'em all.  I did like Philosopher's Stone

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/11 at 8:37 pm

I see they put the complete Harry Potter film series on Blu-Ray now.  Everytime a new one would come out, they would put it in a box set branded Years 1- X.  I kept thinking, why not just wait until all films are out, and get the one final boxed set.

I never saw past the f irst Harry film, but I may pick up this set and watch 'em all.  I did like Philosopher's Stone

I'm waiting to pick up Deathly Hallows until they do an Ultimate Edition of them... I have ultimate editions of the first 6 films...they're loaded with extras!

Written By: 2kidsami on 02/27/12 at 10:03 pm

Some day I will get Deathly Hollows finished we are more than 1/2 way through... but with school and activities, it sure is taking us a while  :P

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/13/12 at 9:55 am

The middle section in the woods with Harry, Ron & Hermione is a bit of a slough to get through, but once you get past that you will be rewarded. Hugely.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 05/14/12 at 2:26 pm

I read all the books recently and they are indeed amazing. One of the best novel series ever, up there with Maximum Ride. Fave character is Snape :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/20/12 at 7:57 pm

I read all the books recently and they are indeed amazing. One of the best novel series ever, up there with Maximum Ride. Fave character is Snape :D
We finished it!!!!  AMAZING!  We are slightly saddened it has come to an end!!!! The girls and I had a terrific journey with the crew at hogwarts.  We finished it almost a complete year after we started the series. 

Now what to read this summer, I highly doubt anything will compare!

Written By: snozberries on 05/20/12 at 10:47 pm

We finished it!!!!  AMAZING!  We are slightly saddened it has come to an end!!!! The girls and I had a terrific journey with the crew at hogwarts.  We finished it almost a complete year after we started the series. 

Hunger games!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/12 at 11:34 am

YAY!!!! I have to say, one of my favorite parts is when Neville pulls the Sword of Gryffendor out of the Sorting Hat proving that he is a TRUE Gryffendor!

I mentioned this a while back how I love all the connections that J.K. put in the entire series. The "connect the dots" type thing.

There is one thing that J.K. messed up on. In book #4 (The Goblet of Fire), Harry sees the thestrals for the first time because he witnessed the death of Cedric. However, he did witnessed his mother's death before the books even started so he should have seen them since day one.

Cat

Written By: karen on 05/21/12 at 11:45 am

There is one thing that J.K. messed up on. In book #4 (The Goblet of Fire), Harry sees the thestrals for the first time because he witnessed the death of Cedric. However, he did witnessed his mother's death before the books even started so he should have seen them since day one.

Cat

Also, do the coaches and thestrals take them back to the train at the end of term?  Then he should have seen them before the school holidays!

Written By: karen on 05/21/12 at 11:45 am

Hunger games!

I think sami's girls are a bit young for them

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/12 at 11:47 am

Also, do the coaches and thestrals take them back to the train at the end of term?  Then he should have seen them before the school holidays!

True. She never said how they get back to the train.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/12 at 12:33 pm

YAY!!!! I have to say, one of my favorite parts is when Neville pulls the Sword of Gryffendor out of the Sorting Hat proving that he is a TRUE Gryffendor!

I mentioned this a while back how I love all the connections that J.K. put in the entire series. The "connect the dots" type thing.

Cat

But he was a baby. Perhaps you have remember witnessing the  death. Since he didn't have a conscious memory of death it's basically like it didn't happen so he couldn't see them until he witnessed a death and was consciously aware/able to process what he'd seen.

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/12 at 12:35 pm

I don't think they do...tho how they get to the trains at the end of term but it seems the arrival at the beginning of the school year is an event so they have special modes of transport. This is all speculation or therory of course.

True. She never said how they get back to the train.

Cat

I posted without reading thru the thread.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/12 at 12:37 pm

I think sami's girls are a bit young for them

I'm only halfway thru the first one. I'm thinking since the movie is popular itd be a viable option.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/12 at 2:04 pm

But he was a baby. Perhaps you have remember witnessing the  death. Since he didn't have a conscious memory of death it's basically like it didn't happen so he couldn't see them until he witnessed a death and was consciously aware/able to process what he'd seen.

But it was in his subconsciousness. Remember when the dementor attack him on the train, he heard screaming and knew it was his mother.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/21/12 at 4:07 pm

At the end of the movies they are always walking back to the train...

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/12 at 4:16 pm

But it was in his subconsciousness. Remember when the dementor attack him on the train, he heard screaming and knew it was his mother.

Cat
Hearing the screaming is not really the same as seeing death. He was too young to process it. It was deep in the recesses of his subconscious but he wasn't fully aware of it. I think that's the difference.

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/12 at 4:19 pm

I wonder if the older students apparate to the train  ;D I would.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/12 at 4:38 pm

I wonder if the older students apparate to the train  ;D I would.

You can't apparate in or out of Hogwarts. Everybody knows that.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/12 at 5:04 pm

You can't apparate in or out of Hogwarts. Everybody knows that.

Cat

But once outside the grounds you can...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/12 at 5:39 pm

But once outside the grounds you can...

True.

Cat

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/22/12 at 6:08 pm

Hunger games!
Not sure how the girls would like these books, they are only 8 and 10.  I am enjoying reading it. But I don't think the girls would.

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/22/12 at 6:10 pm

Cat
But he didn't have a memory of his mothers death...  I don't ever think it said he was necessarily awake and conscious for his mother's death?  Just a thought. 

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/22/12 at 6:16 pm

I wondered it myself...  I realized it when we were watching the last movie and the thestrals were not present when going back home (because we were not seeing them from Harry's mind) - I wondered about them in Goblet, funny you should mention it tooo!

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/22/12 at 6:18 pm

Cat
But he did not "see" it and was too young to put the scream and death together. Sort of like when my first cat died when I was 4, I could not connect the fact that death and not coming back home EVER were one and the same!

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/22/12 at 6:20 pm

At the end of the year, didn't all the kids seem to leave at different times.  Parents would get them and etc... ? (this is what I was thinking) and  Harry was one of the last to go???? 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/22/12 at 6:22 pm

What is really bad is that all my sibs, my husband, his sister and myself will all see the thestrals now.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/22/12 at 6:37 pm

Not sure how the girls would like these books, they are only 8 and 10.  I am enjoying reading it. But I don't think the girls would.

that's what you said about Harry Potter  :P

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/22/12 at 7:32 pm

What is really bad is that all my sibs, my husband, his sister and myself will all see the thestrals now.  :-\\

Cat
Well just like Luna, there are many who can see them with you!  There is comfort in numbers...

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/22/12 at 7:33 pm

that's what you said about Harry Potter  :P
I realized that after I typed it...  As I am reading HG now - I just think it is very mature for them. 

Written By: snozberries on 05/22/12 at 10:14 pm

I realized that after I typed it...  As I am reading HG now - I just think it is very mature for them.

What I've read (so far) and from what I've seen of the movie, the themes don't seem too far off from Potter. Unless people are having sex in book two its, so far about power, class struggle, survival, death and loyalty.

Written By: karen on 05/23/12 at 12:39 pm

Just remembered that my son, who is 10, read the books.  He really liked them and apparently some others in his class are reading them.  However I am not sure he 'got' all the parts to the story.  ANd I do think some of the themes are a bit mature - though probably not much more so than in the later HP books.

What about Chronicles of Narnia?  Though some of those are a bit dry particularly Horse and his Boy (or whatever the correct title is)

Terry Pratchett Truckers, Diggers and Wings

Written By: 2kidsami on 05/23/12 at 5:54 pm

Just remembered that my son, who is 10, read the books.  He really liked them and apparently some others in his class are reading them.  However I am not sure he 'got' all the parts to the story.  ANd I do think some of the themes are a bit mature - though probably not much more so than in the later HP books.

What about Chronicles of Narnia?  Though some of those are a bit dry particularly Horse and his Boy (or whatever the correct title is)

Terry Pratchett Truckers, Diggers and Wings
We shall see!  Yep Chronicles was on our list! My 10 year old is loving reading the series of unfortunate events!!!!  But that she is reading on her own.  I am not sure what we will be reading!  Will be finding out next week though!

Written By: snozberries on 05/29/12 at 10:30 pm

Harry Potter....how it should've ended... stay thru the credits... lol

http://bcove.me/c0aur5q4

okay for some reason the link keeps reverting to how lost should've ended....but if you search the videos at the bottom of the screen you'll see the HP one... there's actually two HP ones...you're looking for the one How It Should've Ended...

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/12 at 11:15 am

okay for some reason the link keeps reverting to how lost should've ended....but if you search the videos at the bottom of the screen you'll see the HP one... there's actually two HP ones...you're looking for the one How It Should've Ended...

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 05/31/12 at 11:23 am

;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I wonder if JK saw it and thought damn why didn't I think of that?!?!?  :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 06/06/12 at 9:53 pm

LOL!

Check for new replies or respond here...