inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Friday the 13th movies

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/31/11 at 10:45 pm

I never saw any of the "Friday the 13th" (aka "Jason") movies.  Last night I watched "Friday the 13th" (1979) and "Friday the 13th Part II" (1981)

Tell me, did these movies actually scare you?  I mean, I just saw a bunch of gory special effects with boring scripts and wooden acting linking them together. 

There was a few minutes of disturbing pathos when Mrs. Vorhees (Betsy Palmer) tells the story of her beloved son Jason drowning in Crystal Lake, but her violent outbursts are too silly to maintain the pathos long enough to achieve creepiness.  Part II gives us the hooded Jason who's kind of spooky, but there's nothing to make him truly scary.  He's just a malevolent creature without redeeming traits.  The movies rely on predictable surprise, such as when Muffin the dog returns and they have the nice music, and then Jason attacks through the window.  In each case, I laughed out loud because it's all Hollywood make-believe with no deeper ideas in the plot.

I wasn't expecting much, but I got less than I was expecting!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wWDysZFjONY/TcLrkEuO7ZI/AAAAAAAABII/ROxNLRhc_Rg/s1600/mrsv_head.jpg

Subject: Re: Friday the 13th movies

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 12:24 am

there are a couple of things to take into consideration Max....

1) age -  how old were you when the movies first came out....you would've reacted differently 30 yrs ago because you were in a different place.

2) more importantly filming styles / techniques were used back then. The editing was slower. The tension was built by old standard styles like music queues and "surprise" moments...30 yrs ago film goers weren't as savvy as they are now so the scary crazy lady avenging her son and the zombie in the potato sack were scary as hell. 

Also, how did you watch it? at home?  Hopefully unedited and without commercials because that'll affect the experience.  Most people saw it in a theater with other people. I saw the first 7 in the theater. There's something about feeding of the energy of the audience that enhances the experience.

Having said all that... I thought Halloween (the first one) and Madman were far more frightening than Friday the 13th. I had few moments where I jumped but I still enjoyed the films. I think they were well done for their time and budget but they don't necessarily hold up as well today.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/01/11 at 12:43 am

Depends on whether you believe the hype or not...

I, somehow, managed to avoid watching ANY of them until.. oh about 1997ish.  Then I was at a friend's house and he was watching the first one, fine, I'm an adult by then, I can deal.  Then he starts telling me about a real Crystal Lake about 2 hours away (yeah, still gullible.)
By now, I'm uncomfortable to say the least.  A mutual friend of ours calls and invites us over to his house (by now it's midnight or so), I'm not working the next day, so we go.  I think I know where his house is, but it's back some twisty, country roads.  So, I'm driving, in the dark, not sure where I am, my friend is just being a jerk with scary stories and isn't helping me find this turn-off.  All I can think of is my car is gonna get stuck and some homicidal maniac is gonna pop out of the woods and hack me to pieces.  ::)  ;D  It was effective.
Never wanted to go camping after seeing Friday the 13th #9000 (forget which one it was, aren't they all the same?)  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 1:00 am

Depends on whether you believe the hype or not...

I, somehow, managed to avoid watching ANY of them until.. oh about 1997ish.  Then I was at a friend's house and he was watching the first one, fine, I'm an adult by then, I can deal.  Then he starts telling me about a real Crystal Lake about 2 hours away (yeah, still gullible.)
By now, I'm uncomfortable to say the least.  A mutual friend of ours calls and invites us over to his house (by now it's midnight or so), I'm not working the next day, so we go.  I think I know where his house is, but it's back some twisty, country roads.  So, I'm driving, in the dark, not sure where I am, my friend is just being a jerk with scary stories and isn't helping me find this turn-off.  All I can think of is my car is gonna get stuck and some homicidal maniac is gonna pop out of the woods and hack me to pieces.   ::)   ;D  It was effective.
Never wanted to go camping after seeing Friday the 13th #9000 (forget which one it was, aren't they all the same?)  ;D

great story! 

no they're not all the same.... in one it's his mother. In 8 he's in Manhattan. In X he's in space.... and then there's that one where he gets his ass kicked by Freddy K.  :D

When I saw Madman I was terrified for two weeks so were the friends I saw it with. We were freshman.  senior yr we were in the middle of the hills Prundale (might as well have been the woods) my friend who drove gets out of her pick up  to go get something from the house, she  tells the two of us left in the bed to beware Madman Mars....those three words instantly brought back the fear and we were sitting back to back screaming and jumping at every little sound nature made!

I own the DVD but I have yet to watch it...haven't seen it since I was a freshman. The memory of the fear is so strong I'm a) afraid i'll be super scared or b) disappointed that its not as good as I remembered

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/01/11 at 1:26 am

no they're not all the same.... in one it's his mother. In 8 he's in Manhattan. In X he's in space.... and then there's that one where he gets his ass kicked by Freddy K.  :D

I forget which one I saw with my first husband.  I remember a tent with a zipper entrance and Jason's machete cutting someone in half lengthwise.  ::) I vaguely remember a dock scene with Jason jumping out from the water (he was very... acrobatic?)

It seemed like it was filmed a different way, like made to look like it was live camera/digital????  I dunno.  Could be Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI...

Great story about Madman (never heard of that one.)  But I'm not really a connisuer of horror movies.  My friend has a similar story about the movie with the character Pinhead...

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 1:58 am

I forget which one I saw with my first husband.  I remember a tent with a zipper entrance and Jason's machete cutting someone in half lengthwise.  ::) I vaguely remember a dock scene with Jason jumping out from the water (he was very... acrobatic?)

It seemed like it was filmed a different way, like made to look like it was live camera/digital????  I dunno.  Could be Jason Lives: Friday the 13th Part VI...

Great story about Madman (never heard of that one.)  But I'm not really a connisuer of horror movies.  My friend has a similar story about the movie with the character Pinhead...

There was a time where I could tell you exactly which film that one was but alas age and time has killed that particular piece of info from my brain.

Madman is rather obscure, not a lot of people have seen it let alone heard of it...I was honestly surprised to find it on DVD. I got all excited when I saw it and had to buy it. As soon as I got it home I was afraid to watch for the reasons mentioned.

I've seen sooo many horror films that it's hard to scare me...for some reason I found the remake of Texas Chainsaw Masssacre with Jessica Beihl very scary. I remember forcing Carly to stand guard at my bedroom door because I was afraid of some coming up behind me while I was watching!  I don't think that would work with Effie  ;D

The last 20ish minutes of Halloween ALWAYS gets me...

other than a few minutes here or there I can't really think of any more right now...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/01/11 at 2:22 am

I'm not a big fan of gore movies (gratuitous gore anyway), what always scares me is the unknown.  Believe it or not, Blair Witch Project scared me a little (when I saw it in the theaters) because all you saw were the reactions of the victims. (I was in a bad place emotionally when I went to see it, which also might explain things.)

Hubby, who is a screenwriter and has read umpteen how-to-write things explained it to me as such (paraphrased).  When you keep the monster (protagonist) a secret for as long as you can in a film, the audience is forced to fill in the unknown portion of the equation with whatever scares them the most.  If you never explain it, the effect can be quite chilling.

On a side note, I always found these rules handy:  ;D
Rules to survive a Horror Movie

·        If you think the monster is dead, he's NOT

·        Do not go search for something in the basement, especially if the power has just gone out.

·        If your children speak to you in Latin or any other language which they should not speak, or if they speak to you using a voice which is not they’re own, shoot them immediately. It will save you the grief in the long run.

·        When you have the benefit of numbers, NEVER pair off or go alone.

·        If you are searching for something, which caused a loud noise, and you find out it's just the cat, leave the room immediately if you value your life.

·        If appliances start operating by themselves, move out.

·        If you find a town, which looks deserted, it's probably for a good reason. Take the hint and stay away.

·        If your companions suddenly begin to exhibit uncharacteristic behavior such as hissing, developing a fascination with blood, glowing eyes, foaming at the mouth and increasing hairiness, get away from them as fast as possible.

·        Stay away from certain geographical locations. Such as: Amityville, Elm Street, Transylvania, Nil bog, the Bermuda Triangle or any small town in Maine.

·        If your car runs out of gas late at night, don't go to the nearby deserted looking house to call for help. Likewise if your car has broken down, and the only refuge for miles is that creepy old mansion/castle on the hill. Stay in the car.

·        Beware of strangers bearing tools such as chainsaws, staple guns, hedge trimmers, electric carving knives, lawnmowers, butane torches, smoldering irons, band saws or any device made from deceased companions.
·        Do not keep all your sharpened kitchen knives in one of those wooden block thingies on your work surface.

·        When you are searching a house because you think there is something dangerous there, turn on the lights!

·        Never back out of one room into another without looking. It's always behind you.

·        If you are traveling with friends, never let any hitch hikers into the van with you.
·        Never babysit. There are enough babysitter-in-danger-thanks-to-a-stupid-killer flicks out there already.

·        If you are being chased, never lean against the wall when you think you lost him. He'll just pop through and kill you.

·        Same goes for leaning against the window.

·        Stay away from sewers.

·        If you sense something is behind you, don't bother turning around to check. Just run.

·        If you are trying to escape the killer, sliding through the cat door in the electronic garage door will not help you any.

·        After you manage to kill the monster/killer, never sit beside it and cry. It will suddenly pop back up to finish the job.

·        Never go to camp or become a counselor. You'll be dead by the end of summer.

·        Never say, "I'll be right back." You won't be back. End of story.

·        Then when one of your spaceship's crewmembers finds a hideous parasite attached to his body, don’t let him back on the ship.

·        If someone tells you to do or not to something (example: DON'T fall asleep, DON'T go out there, DON'T go look for the homicidal-chainsaw-wielding psychopath by yourself) by all means, LISTEN TO THEM!!

·        A small town's little summer celebration might sound like fun. But if you hear the locals say things like, "Why you're the guest of honor! We couldn't even have the barbecue with out you!” run like hell.

·        Always be nice to the shy, quiet, unpopular girl in school.

·        Clowns never have, nor will they ever be helpful to hang around while in a horror movie. As harmless as the might seem, they WILL kill you once you let your guard down.

·        Never go back for anything you lost.

·        Avoid people with pointy teeth.

·        Avoid people with lots of facial hair.
·        Avoid people with pale complexions, who sway and moan,

·        If you see a burly man wearing a hockey mask and toting a chainsaw, DO NOT stick around to see if he's with the Philadelphia Flyers.

·        Never buy your kid a toy that talks back.

·        Never watch a horror movie while you're in a horror movie.

Never EVER play with any Ouijia board that you find in the basement of your newly bought, run-down house.

·        Never run into a deserted graveyard at night,
·        If you are running away from the killer/monster, don't even try to start the car. It doesn't matter if the car is brand new, it won't start.
·        If running from the monster/killer, try to make the least amount of noise possible. Especially if you are female. Panting, crying and screaming are not going to help you hide any better.

·        Never answer the phone when you are babysitting. Just get the heck out of there and leave the kids for dead.

·  If you think you see your girlfriend/boyfriend and they are wearing a mask, not talking, or conspicuously hiding their face, it's not them.

·        Don't be mean to the new kid. They will just end up killing you.

·        If you hear a strange noise coming from upstairs that sounds similar to, oh let's say a severed head falling to the floor, don't go trying to find out what it is.

·        When battling zombies, always sever their head or shoot them in the brain. If you they still want to eat you after that, just surrender. There's no hope for you anyway.

·        Never wait until you NEED the gun to check and see if it's loaded.

·        Never try to unmask the killer.

·        Never hide in a closet.

·        Don't spend a lot of time in houses decorated with an excessive amount of medieval weaponry. It will be used eventually.

·        Don't make a documentary that requires you to hike through the woods while looking for a witch that leaves stick figures hanging in trees.

·        If you see a short guy wearing green and wearing a shamrock hat, I wouldn't stick around to ask about his pot of gold.

·        Never listen to strange voices on the telephone.

·        Never say, "Who's there?"

·        If your hand has been possessed by the Force of Evil, do NOT chop off your hand. Doing so will merely allow the disembodied hand the freedom to wreak havoc independent of your body. And now you have to spend the rest of the film trying to track it down,

·        If you have a feeling you'll end up being chased by zombies during the night, remember to wear comfortable running shoes.

·        After babysitting, don't walk down any deserted streets with lots of trees and bushes, but no lights.

·        If you are a girl with long blonde hair, blue eyes and big boobs, well, you are pretty much dead.

·        Always check the backseat of your car before you get in.

·        When running away from the killer/monster, NEVER run upstairs.

·        If you see someone who is within screaming distance while running from the killer/monster, for the love of god, SCREAM!!

·        If a giant shark is chasing your family, don't go swimming. Actually, stay away from the water, period.

·        If you are babysitting, don't let the kids play with the Chucky doll.

·        If you are fleeing from a killer or supernatural being and you see a cop car, run right by it. There are three possible ways that things will turn out if you try to get the cops attention and none are good:

1. The cop is already dead in some gruesome way that will cause you to scream and alert the killer/monster as to where you are.
  2. The cop will probably end up dead as he tries to help you, this will only distract the killer away from you for a few seconds, but chances are you will end up getting killed anyway.
  3.   The supernatural being has assumed the form of a cop and just when you think you are safe...he will kill you.

·        If the locals say the camp is haunted, it probably is.

·        If people in your neighborhood have been disappearing and there's talk about a surge of any type of insect...move. Stubborn homeowners always die.

·        When and if you fall while running and the killer/monster is near you, don't just sit there screaming like someone will hear you. Get up and RUN!!

·        If the killer if after you and you somehow manage to knock him down, don't get up and run for help. Believe me, he will stay down much longer after you kick him a couple times.
·        If you disobey the previous rule, don't try cutting off his head or anything cheap. Stick a grenade in his mouth and run for it.

·        If the killer is standing three feet in front of you, don't just stand there and scream while he comes running towards you. It may come as a shock, but he DOES in fact want to kill you.

·        If you DO happen to get killed, make sure it's in a cheap low-budget gore-fest with no plot, so you can come back and kick butt, no explanation needed

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 3:24 am

I'm not a big fan of gore movies (gratuitous gore anyway), what always scares me is the unknown.  Believe it or not, Blair Witch Project scared me a little (when I saw it in the theaters) because all you saw were the reactions of the victims. (I was in a bad place emotionally when I went to see it, which also might explain things.)

Ha HA...not you patty but you just reminded me of something.... when I saw BW in the theaters the day it was released (I loved it) I went to the bathroom after it was over and there was this girl (late teens to 20ish) crying hysterically in the bathroom. She was distraught that those three people died! And how could people release the film after they died that way!!!! yep she thought the whole thing was real  ;D

Hubby, who is a screenwriter and has read umpteen how-to-write things explained it to me as such (paraphrased).  When you keep the monster (protagonist) a secret for as long as you can in a film, the audience is forced to fill in the unknown portion of the equation with whatever scares them the most.  If you never explain it, the effect can be quite chilling.

Hubby's right, the worst thing to happen to Jeepers Creepers was they revealed the villian. That movie was super creepy and yeah I'm gonna add it to my list of films that scared me....not as much as Halloween but it did a good job....right up until I saw the creeper. I hated the last half of the film because I was bored.

Great List Patty.... I'm borrowing this one for another story  ;)  If you find a town, which looks deserted, it's probably for a good reason. Take the hint and stay away.

I recently took a trip about 3.5 hrs north.  Half way there I had to go to the bathroom...like really really had to go... I know the next town is 16 miles away but I wasn't sure I could make that so I see this sign that lists the name of a town I'd never seen/heard of before....it's the middle of know where (Central Ca is a lot of farm area)  and so I get off the freeway on the promise of gas....where there is gas there is a restroom...about two miles of driving thru nowhere/nothing I finally see a house....then another house....and I shyt you not. this "town" could've been used as the setting for CA Chainsaw Massacre or Wrong Turn 5 starring yours truly.  It was super freaky...the gas station had only a port-a-potty and I thought I'd risked my life enough driving into town...it was probably not a good idea to get out of the car nor explore any further... I hauled ass back to the freeway and decided that 16 miles wasn't so bad after all...  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 3:25 am

On a side note, I always found these rules handy:  ;D

·      When you have the benefit of numbers, NEVER pair off or go alone.

·        If you are searching for something, which caused a loud noise, and you find out it's just the cat, leave the room immediately if you value your life.

·        If appliances start operating by themselves, move out.

·        If you are trying to escape the killer, sliding through the cat door in the electronic garage door will not help you any. 

;D  Poor Tatum!

·        Never watch a horror movie while you're in a horror movie.

·        If you are running away from the killer/monster, don't even try to start the car. It doesn't matter if the car is brand new, it won't start.

·        If running from the monster/killer, try to make the least amount of noise possible. Especially if you are female. Panting, crying and screaming are not going to help you hide any better.

This has always been a pet peeve of mine

·        Never answer the phone when you are babysitting. Just get the heck out of there and leave the kids for dead.

GOOD RULE!!!

·        Never wait until you NEED the gun to check and see if it's loaded.

Also:  If you have a gun, and it is loaded....don't run away while shooting it wildly behind you. You waste bullets that way.  either:

1) Take a second, stand your ground and take aim at the mutant chasing  Or
2) Run as fast as you can and save your bullets for later when you are better situated to use your gun.

YEAH THAT'S RIGHT! I'M TALKING TO YOU BOBBY CARTER!  >:(  (The Hills Have Eyes - 2006)

·        If you see a short guy wearing green and wearing a shamrock hat, I wouldn't stick around to ask about his pot of gold.

]But you can distract him by throwing your shoes at him; it distracts him....apparently!  ;D

·        Never say, "Who's there?"

They rarely answer you anyway....

·        If you are a girl with long blonde hair, blue eyes and big boobs, well, you are pretty much dead. 

Ummmm......don't you have long blond hair, blue eyes and big boobs?  Holy crap Patty don't turn around you're about to be killed!  :D

·        If you are fleeing from a killer or supernatural being and you see a cop car, run right by it. There are three possible ways that things will turn out if you try to get the cops attention and none are good:

1. The cop is already dead in some gruesome way that will cause you to scream and alert the killer/monster as to where you are.
  2. The cop will probably end up dead as he tries to help you, this will only distract the killer away from you for a few seconds, but chances are you will end up getting killed anyway.
  3.  The supernatural being has assumed the form of a cop and just when you think you are safe...he will kill you.

·        When and if you fall while running and the killer/monster is near you, don't just sit there screaming like someone will hear you. Get up and RUN!!

I loved the full list patty but I extracted my favs and commented on a few of them..... you forgot

If you stop for gas and the attendant has no teeth, do not ask him for a short cut. 
Better yet, if a local ever offers you a short cut, get back on the freeway!

If you are driving in the desert and you find an what is now an abandoned Military Nuclear Bomb Testing Facility then this is probably not a good place to stay over night.

If you are lost in the woods and manage to evade the trio of inbreed hillbillies trying to kill you the next few houses you see will belong to them or their family members....do not hide there!

If you find yourself in a warehouse, barn or any place with big machinery try to position yourself away from the machine in fact try to get the killer to stand next to the machine that his arms can get cut off instead of your own.

If you are driving late at night and you find a woman dressed in white standing on the side of the road....she is a ghost....keep driving

if you are taking a road trip plan accordingly so that you do not have to stay at some random roadside motel in the middle of nowhere....

If you have no choice but to stay in that motel assume that the owners are watching you and don't have sex with your travel companion...
also, take a tire iron into the room with you that way you can break a window or pry open a barricaded door. 

When you do get out of the room do not flag down a truck driver and ask him to help you. He is working with the owners of the motel and will help them kill you.

If you watch a video tape and learn that you will be dead in seven days because you watched the tape don't go and show the tape to all of your friends

If you are in a town that is being overrun by a giant monster and you want to escape...do stop at the nearest department store and exchange  your heels for running shoes it will take a few minutes but you'll make up valuable time on the run.

Don't start and argument with another member of your group about which way to go...take a quick vote and live by majority rules...or at least figure out who knows the area best.... just get moving...distance is key!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/01/11 at 3:39 am

Ummmm......don't you have long blond hair, blue eyes and big boobs?  Holy crap Patty don't turn around you're about to be killed!  :D

Why do you think I dye my hair red now?  (Originally it was because hubby likes redheads...)  ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/01/11 at 3:52 am

Ha HA...not you patty but you just reminded me of something.... when I saw BW in the theaters the day it was released (I loved it) I went to the bathroom after it was over and there was this girl (late teens to 20ish) crying hysterically in the bathroom. She was distraught that those three people died! And how could people release the film after they died that way!!!! yep she thought the whole thing was real  ;D

Did you happen to look at the official movie website?  When it came out, they were seriously playing it like it was real.  All kinds of photos of the "missing" teens, interviews with friends, parents.  It was designed like a true crime report.  I don't know if they kept it up the same way all this time or not.  It was a very inventive way of marketing the film.  It helps that none of the stars really promoted it or did interviews until way later.  ;D

Hubby's right, the worst thing to happen to Jeepers Creepers was they revealed the villian. That movie was super creepy and yeah I'm gonna add it to my list of films that scared me....not as much as Halloween but it did a good job....right up until I saw the creeper. I hated the last half of the film because I was bored.

I was never really into the horror movie genre, now horror fiction and comics, I love, oddly enough.  I got a secondhand review of Jeepers Creepers, so I never really bothered watching it, (other then the opening prologue which had similarities to that story on unsolved mysteries.)

Great List Patty.... I'm borrowing this one for another story  ;)  If you find a town, which looks deserted, it's probably for a good reason. Take the hint and stay away.

I recently took a trip about 3.5 hrs north.  Half way there I had to go to the bathroom...like really really had to go... I know the next town is 16 miles away but I wasn't sure I could make that so I see this sign that lists the name of a town I'd never seen/heard of before....it's the middle of know where (Central Ca is a lot of farm area)  and so I get off the freeway on the promise of gas....where there is gas there is a restroom...about two miles of driving thru nowhere/nothing I finally see a house....then another house....and I shyt you not. this "town" could've been used as the setting for CA Chainsaw Massacre or Wrong Turn 5 starring yours truly.  It was super freaky...the gas station had only a port-a-potty and I thought I'd risked my life enough driving into town...it was probably not a good idea to get out of the car nor explore any further... I hauled ass back to the freeway and decided that 16 miles wasn't so bad after all...  ;D

hahaha  ;D  Yeah, I've passed through a few towns like that before.  Heck, I've lived in small towns like that.  It isn't any less scary being a "local".  I'd say you made a wise decision.  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/01/11 at 4:01 am

you forgot

If you stop for gas and the attendant has no teeth, do not ask him for a short cut. 
Better yet, if a local ever offers you a short cut, get back on the freeway!

If you are driving in the desert and you find an what is now an abandoned Military Nuclear Bomb Testing Facility then this is probably not a good place to stay over night.

If you are lost in the woods and manage to evade the trio of inbreed hillbillies trying to kill you the next few houses you see will belong to them or their family members....do not hide there!

If you find yourself in a warehouse, barn or any place with big machinery try to position yourself away from the machine in fact try to get the killer to stand next to the machine that his arms can get cut off instead of your own.

If you are driving late at night and you find a woman dressed in white standing on the side of the road....she is a ghost....keep driving

if you are taking a road trip plan accordingly so that you do not have to stay at some random roadside motel in the middle of nowhere....

If you have no choice but to stay in that motel assume that the owners are watching you and don't have sex with your travel companion...
also, take a tire iron into the room with you that way you can break a window or pry open a barricaded door. 

When you do get out of the room do not flag down a truck driver and ask him to help you. He is working with the owners of the motel and will help them kill you.

If you watch a video tape and learn that you will be dead in seven days because you watched the tape don't go and show the tape to all of your friends

If you are in a town that is being overrun by a giant monster and you want to escape...do stop at the nearest department store and exchange  your heels for running shoes it will take a few minutes but you'll make up valuable time on the run.

Don't start and argument with another member of your group about which way to go...take a quick vote and live by majority rules...or at least figure out who knows the area best.... just get moving...distance is key!

Good advice!
Good to know!  ;D

There should probably be a few rules in there about female roommates/nannies that suddenly start making their appearance identical to yours...

I'm sure there should be a rule or two extracted from that awful French horror film "High Tension (Haute Tension).  Luckily the film broke halfway through watching this at the theater, so we never bothered to watch the rest.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 09/01/11 at 6:32 am

Didn't the first one came out in 1980, not 1979? ???

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 8:22 am

Why do you think I dye my hair red now?  (Originally it was because hubby likes redheads...)  ;)

;D

Sorry I forgot.

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 8:30 am

Did you happen to look at the official movie website?  When it came out, they were seriously playing it like it was real.  All kinds of photos of the "missing" teens, interviews with friends, parents.  It was designed like a true crime report.  I don't know if they kept it up the same way all this time or not.  It was a very inventive way of marketing the film.  It helps that none of the stars really promoted it or did interviews until way later.   ;D
I was never really into the horror movie genre, now horror fiction and comics, I love, oddly enough.  I got a secondhand review of Jeepers Creepers, so I never really bothered watching it, (other then the opening prologue which had similarities to that story on unsolved mysteries.)

hahaha  ;D  Yeah, I've passed through a few towns like that before.  Heck, I've lived in small towns like that.  It isn't any less scary being a "local".  I'd say you made a wise decision.   ;D

Yeah I saw the web site and stuff but you know at the end where they list more than three names in the credits? That was kind of a dead giveaway. Plus the all persons are fictional disclaimer sort of gave it away too  ;D

I didn't realize jeepers prologue was inspired by true crime.

The other movie that got me was high tension. It was practically stolen scene by scene (the stuff in the house) from Dean koontz intensity. Great book and the scenes from high tension had me squirming in my seats.

Of course you felt uncomfortable as a local bc u are actually normal.

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 8:32 am

Good advice!
Good to know!   ;D

There should probably be a few rules in there about female roommates/nannies that suddenly start making their appearance identical to yours...

I'm sure there should be a rule or two extracted from that awful French horror film "High Tension (Haute Tension).  Luckily the film broke halfway through watching this at the theater, so we never bothered to watch the rest.   ;D

Funny you mention HT.  ;D
The ending was crap but I think of it like full metal jacket. You just need to watch the 1st half of both films.

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 8:36 am

Didn't the first one came out in 1980, not 1979? ???

That it did

Written By: Bobby on 09/01/11 at 10:03 am

I never saw any of the "Friday the 13th" (aka "Jason") movies.  Last night I watched "Friday the 13th" (1979) and "Friday the 13th Part II" (1981)

Tell me, did these movies actually scare you?  I mean, I just saw a bunch of gory special effects with boring scripts and wooden acting linking them together. 

There was a few minutes of disturbing pathos when Mrs. Vorhees (Betsy Palmer) tells the story of her beloved son Jason drowning in Crystal Lake, but her violent outbursts are too silly to maintain the pathos long enough to achieve creepiness.  Part II gives us the hooded Jason who's kind of spooky, but there's nothing to make him truly scary.  He's just a malevolent creature without redeeming traits.  The movies rely on predictable surprise, such as when Muffin the dog returns and they have the nice music, and then Jason attacks through the window.  In each case, I laughed out loud because it's all Hollywood make-believe with no deeper ideas in the plot.

I wasn't expecting much, but I got less than I was expecting!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wWDysZFjONY/TcLrkEuO7ZI/AAAAAAAABII/ROxNLRhc_Rg/s1600/mrsv_head.jpg

I watched Friday the 13th part VI - Jason Lives (1986) first which was a shame because, after watching the others I liked this one the most (with a great Alice Cooper track at the end). Of course, this made the first film incoherent because Jason was a kid when he died. I didn't mind the first film as *spoiler alert* the beheading was quite funny to watch). Jason takes Manhattan part VIII was quite good, that is the one where Jason rampages on the SS Lazarus.

I thought Jason goes to hell in 1993 was quite a novel idea for the series where the army blew Jason up but his heart still lived and fed through several bodies who turned into Jason - it just wasn't explored to it's full potential. I watched Jason X and thought it was rubbish and I haven't seen Freddy vs Jason.

Written By: Bobby on 09/01/11 at 11:12 am

The first 20 - 30 mins of Jeepers Creepers were brilliant, a simple case of brilliant execution. Then I can remember the scene when my view of Jeepers Creepers took a serious nosedive. It was when the two kids were running the man over again and again in their car and he got up. Once that occurred, the film was dead...it even had to have a 'poltergeist' psychic woman tacked to the plot too.  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/01/11 at 3:59 pm

The other movie that got me was high tension. It was practically stolen scene by scene (the stuff in the house) from Dean koontz intensity. Great book and the scenes from high tension had me squirming in my seats.

The killer creeping around the house was, well, creepy!  I'll have to read that sometime.

Of course you felt uncomfortable as a local bc u are actually normal.

I think that's a matter of speculation.  ;D

I didn't realize jeepers prologue was inspired by true crime.

Have you heard of the similarities between the opening scene of Jeepers Creepers and a real life murder on Unsolved Mysteries?

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-33662.html  Movie 'Jeepers Creepers' stole opening plot from episode on Unsolved Mysteries?!?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YjAx06v-DI Unsolved Mysteries - Dennis Depew

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7uiQdfppCA  Jeepers Creepers opening

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-1LXvc8ILA Jeepers Creepers Chasing

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/11 at 4:43 pm

When I was a kid, they scared me.  And when I watch those older ones today, they still have some what of a fear element to them that still scares me.

New ones released in the 00s are just comical.  Any horror film released before the mid 90s will always be a great scare fest.  the new ones just don't seem to cut it like they did back then.

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 5:40 pm

The killer creeping around the house was, well, creepy!  I'll have to read that sometime.I think that's a matter of speculation.   ;D

sorry I saw your links just didn't want to look at them on the phone  ;) 

I do remember this Unsolved Mysteries I just never really made the connection before... I think you and I had this discussion a couple yrs ago but I still don't connect the two... I know its similar it's just I don't watch one and think of the other

Written By: seamermar on 09/01/11 at 5:58 pm

On a side note, I always found these rules handy:  ;D

·        If you think the monster is dead, he's NOT

·        Do not go search for something in the basement, especially if the power has just gone out.

·        If your children speak to you in Latin or any other language which they should not speak, or if they speak to you using a voice which is not they’re own, shoot them immediately. It will save you the grief in the long run.

·        When you have the benefit of numbers, NEVER pair off or go alone.

·        If you are searching for something, which caused a loud noise, and you find out it's just the cat, leave the room immediately if you value your life.

·        If appliances start operating by themselves, move out.

·        If you find a town, which looks deserted, it's probably for a good reason. Take the hint and stay away.

·        If your companions suddenly begin to exhibit uncharacteristic behavior such as hissing, developing a fascination with blood, glowing eyes, foaming at the mouth and increasing hairiness, get away from them as fast as possible.

·        Stay away from certain geographical locations. Such as: Amityville, Elm Street, Transylvania, Nil bog, the Bermuda Triangle or any small town in Maine.

·        If your car runs out of gas late at night, don't go to the nearby deserted looking house to call for help. Likewise if your car has broken down, and the only refuge for miles is that creepy old mansion/castle on the hill. Stay in the car.

·        Beware of strangers bearing tools such as chainsaws, staple guns, hedge trimmers, electric carving knives, lawnmowers, butane torches, smoldering irons, band saws or any device made from deceased companions.
·        Do not keep all your sharpened kitchen knives in one of those wooden block thingies on your work surface.

·        When you are searching a house because you think there is something dangerous there, turn on the lights!

·        Never back out of one room into another without looking. It's always behind you.

·        If you are traveling with friends, never let any hitch hikers into the van with you.
·        Never babysit. There are enough babysitter-in-danger-thanks-to-a-stupid-killer flicks out there already.

·        If you are being chased, never lean against the wall when you think you lost him. He'll just pop through and kill you.

·        Same goes for leaning against the window.

·        Stay away from sewers.

·        If you sense something is behind you, don't bother turning around to check. Just run.

·        If you are trying to escape the killer, sliding through the cat door in the electronic garage door will not help you any.

·        After you manage to kill the monster/killer, never sit beside it and cry. It will suddenly pop back up to finish the job.

·        Never go to camp or become a counselor. You'll be dead by the end of summer.

·        Never say, "I'll be right back." You won't be back. End of story.

·        Then when one of your spaceship's crewmembers finds a hideous parasite attached to his body, don’t let him back on the ship.

·        If someone tells you to do or not to something (example: DON'T fall asleep, DON'T go out there, DON'T go look for the homicidal-chainsaw-wielding psychopath by yourself) by all means, LISTEN TO THEM!!

·        A small town's little summer celebration might sound like fun. But if you hear the locals say things like, "Why you're the guest of honor! We couldn't even have the barbecue with out you!” run like hell.

·        Always be nice to the shy, quiet, unpopular girl in school.

·        Clowns never have, nor will they ever be helpful to hang around while in a horror movie. As harmless as the might seem, they WILL kill you once you let your guard down.

·        Never go back for anything you lost.

·        Avoid people with pointy teeth.

·        Avoid people with lots of facial hair.
·        Avoid people with pale complexions, who sway and moan,

·        If you see a burly man wearing a hockey mask and toting a chainsaw, DO NOT stick around to see if he's with the Philadelphia Flyers.

·        Never buy your kid a toy that talks back.

·        Never watch a horror movie while you're in a horror movie.

Never EVER play with any Ouijia board that you find in the basement of your newly bought, run-down house.

·        Never run into a deserted graveyard at night,
·        If you are running away from the killer/monster, don't even try to start the car. It doesn't matter if the car is brand new, it won't start.
·        If running from the monster/killer, try to make the least amount of noise possible. Especially if you are female. Panting, crying and screaming are not going to help you hide any better.

·        Never answer the phone when you are babysitting. Just get the heck out of there and leave the kids for dead.

·  If you think you see your girlfriend/boyfriend and they are wearing a mask, not talking, or conspicuously hiding their face, it's not them.

·        Don't be mean to the new kid. They will just end up killing you.

·        If you hear a strange noise coming from upstairs that sounds similar to, oh let's say a severed head falling to the floor, don't go trying to find out what it is.

·        When battling zombies, always sever their head or shoot them in the brain. If you they still want to eat you after that, just surrender. There's no hope for you anyway.

·        Never wait until you NEED the gun to check and see if it's loaded.

·        Never try to unmask the killer.

·        Never hide in a closet.

·        Don't spend a lot of time in houses decorated with an excessive amount of medieval weaponry. It will be used eventually.

·        Don't make a documentary that requires you to hike through the woods while looking for a witch that leaves stick figures hanging in trees.

·        If you see a short guy wearing green and wearing a shamrock hat, I wouldn't stick around to ask about his pot of gold.

·        Never listen to strange voices on the telephone.

·        Never say, "Who's there?"

·        If your hand has been possessed by the Force of Evil, do NOT chop off your hand. Doing so will merely allow the disembodied hand the freedom to wreak havoc independent of your body. And now you have to spend the rest of the film trying to track it down,

·        If you have a feeling you'll end up being chased by zombies during the night, remember to wear comfortable running shoes.

·        After babysitting, don't walk down any deserted streets with lots of trees and bushes, but no lights.

·        If you are a girl with long blonde hair, blue eyes and big boobs, well, you are pretty much dead.

·        Always check the backseat of your car before you get in.

·        When running away from the killer/monster, NEVER run upstairs.

·        If you see someone who is within screaming distance while running from the killer/monster, for the love of god, SCREAM!!

·        If a giant shark is chasing your family, don't go swimming. Actually, stay away from the water, period.

·        If you are babysitting, don't let the kids play with the Chucky doll.

·        If you are fleeing from a killer or supernatural being and you see a cop car, run right by it. There are three possible ways that things will turn out if you try to get the cops attention and none are good:

3.   The supernatural being has assumed the form of a cop and just when you think you are safe...he will kill you.

·        If the locals say the camp is haunted, it probably is.

·        If people in your neighborhood have been disappearing and there's talk about a surge of any type of insect...move. Stubborn homeowners always die.

·        When and if you fall while running and the killer/monster is near you, don't just sit there screaming like someone will hear you. Get up and RUN!!

·        If the killer if after you and you somehow manage to knock him down, don't get up and run for help. Believe me, he will stay down much longer after you kick him a couple times.
·        If you disobey the previous rule, don't try cutting off his head or anything cheap. Stick a grenade in his mouth and run for it.

·        If the killer is standing three feet in front of you, don't just stand there and scream while he comes running towards you. It may come as a shock, but he DOES in fact want to kill you.

·        If you DO happen to get killed, make sure it's in a cheap low-budget gore-fest with no plot, so you can come back and kick butt, no explanation needed

Great Patty !!
I pick your list up, I find it useful and genial.
You seem to go and get scared a lot, and still you're alive, so probably your list does work !! ;D

Written By: King Tut on 09/01/11 at 6:34 pm

I get scared fairly easily, so I won't watch that film nor the sequels.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/11 at 8:29 pm

Karma owed to BM4ever for compiling such an exhaustive list!
8)

As Snoz points out, I just watched the F13 movies as an adult.  If I saw them when I was 10 or 12, they would have scared me.  Snoz also mentions how movie making has changed in 30 years.  The first two F13 movies seem terribly cliche today, but in 1980 they set the standard for slasher flicks. 

My parents were liberal to a fault about what movies they let me see.  However, there was one exception: Gratuitous violence.  Besides, they didn't like horror movies and I was pretty much limited to what they wanted to see.  We had no cinema in walking distance.  I went to the movies with friends sometimes, but my friends' parents were much more restrictive.  They were scandalized I was allowed to see R-rated movies!

My older sister did see the F13 movies, Halloween, Amityville Horror, The Fog, The Shining and so forth, and was duly rattled by all of them.  The kid liked to get spooked. 

Grotesqueness and pathos disturb me much more than violence or gore.  I was even more susceptible to suggestion as a child.  If I had seen F13 II when it was released, I would have left the surprise attacks and the gruesome slayings at the theater.  Mrs. Vorhees' severed head and the hooded Jason with his malevolent eye would have burned into my mind and scared me in the dark for weeks!

One of my favorite horror movies is The Blair Witch Project because it's all agonizing suspense and weird footage of the dark forest.  Hitchcock once said the scariest monster is the monster you don't see.  Blair Witch was just that.  You NEVER see the evil force persecuting the college students.  It's just the unresolved mystery of the form and substance of this Blair Witch that generates unspeakable inner horror.  If I had seen Blair Witch when I was a kid, I probably would have hid under my bed for the rest of my life!

My parents were not in touch with my sensitivity to the grotesque when they took us to see The Elephant Man.  No, it's not a horror movie per se, but it is David Lynch at his best.  The eerie Victorian streets and carnivals in foggy black-and-white were enough to give me the willies, but I'd never seen anything like the makeup job they did on John Hurt!  You only see a misshapen hooded figure for the first half hour, then Lynch springs it on you with the nurse creeping up the stairs to the isolation ward to bring John Merrick his porridge...then boom, the nervous girl screams, Merrick screams, and the audience jumps!  Knowing the Elephant Man was real and, like in the movie, he wasn't a psychopath but a kind and sensitive soul ratcheted the pathos level to 100 and seeped into my heart and mind.  I couldn't shake that movie for quite a spell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_XznzJH2EY

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/01/11 at 8:53 pm

Karma owed to BM4ever for compiling such an exhaustive list!
8)

I can't take credit for it, I had a much smaller list that I compiled but this one I found was much more thorough.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/11 at 9:19 pm

^ The Elephant Man.  I haven't seen that movie in over 20 years

Written By: Bobby on 09/01/11 at 9:37 pm

My parents were not in touch with my sensitivity to the grotesque when they took us to see The Elephant Man.  No, it's not a horror movie per se, but it is David Lynch at his best.  The eerie Victorian streets and carnivals in foggy black-and-white were enough to give me the willies, but I'd never seen anything like the makeup job they did on John Hurt!  You only see a misshapen hooded figure for the first half hour, then Lynch springs it on you with the nurse creeping up the stairs to the isolation ward to bring John Merrick his porridge...then boom, the nervous girl screams, Merrick screams, and the audience jumps!  Knowing the Elephant Man was real and, like in the movie, he wasn't a psychopath but a kind and sensitive soul ratcheted the pathos level to 100 and seeped into my heart and mind.  I couldn't shake that movie for quite a spell.

Yes, I have The Elephant Man on DVD and it remains my favourite David Lynch film. The bittersweet ending is played to perfection too (hopefully I haven't given anything away by saying that).

Written By: snozberries on 09/01/11 at 9:51 pm

The first two F13 movies seem terribly cliche today, but in 1980 they set the standard for slasher flicks. 

Actually Halloween set the standard in 1978  ;)    John Carpenter is the master everything after it is merely a copycat.

Grotesqueness and pathos disturb me much more than violence or gore.  I was even more susceptible to suggestion as a child.  If I had seen F13 II when it was released, I would have left the surprise attacks and the gruesome slayings at the theater.  Mrs. Vorhees' severed head and the hooded Jason with his malevolent eye would have burned into my mind and scared me in the dark for weeks!

I get that... when I saw the Hills Have Eyes remake in 06 (I have yet to see the original but it's on my list) it was the gore that got me...it was the rape scene...yeah spoler alert. ...one of the women in the film wakes up to find a mutant raping her. He was beyond grotesque...the kindest thing that could've happened to that girl was death.  That moment, to this day, sends shivers down my spine.

great film!

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/11 at 10:10 pm

Yes, I have The Elephant Man on DVD and it remains my favourite David Lynch film. The bittersweet ending is played to perfection too (hopefully I haven't given anything away by saying that).

You just ruined the ending.  Way to go ::)

just kidding :D :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/11 at 11:01 pm

I'm a sucker for sentiment.  That movie always makes me cry.  Especially the ending with Barber's Adagio, which induces weeping all by itself!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/tearyeyed.gif

Back to Jason, somebody else remarked on how acrobatic he must have been to jump out of the lake.  I noticed that too.  I fell out of a canoe once and even though I was in the best shape I've ever been in, and I was wearing a life preserver, it still took three of us quite a few minutes and careful maneuvering in order to get me back into the boat without capsizing the craft! 

As to the plot hole of a superhuman Jason prowling the woods when he allegedly drowned as a child...well, chalk it up to the supernatural, why not?

And yes, the first "Halloween" set the standard and was far scarier the F13.  I found both Psycho (1960) and The Exorcist (1973) to be scarier than either.

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/11 at 2:18 am

Sadly I was bored by both Psycho and the exorcist.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/02/11 at 3:40 am

Sadly I was bored by both Psycho and the exorcist.

I didn't find Psycho or The Exorcist scary, but unlike you, I found them entertaining even if they weren't scary.

Each to her/his own I guess.

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/11 at 9:57 am

I didn't find Psycho or The Exorcist scary, but unlike you, I found them entertaining even if they weren't scary.

Each to her/his own I guess.

I tried both as a kid and as an adult and neither of them did much for me.  I'm a big fan of Hitchcock so I was disappointed that I didn't like Psycho.  With the Exorcist the only scene I liked involved a crucifix  ;D

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/02/11 at 11:13 am

Actually Halloween set the standard in 1978  ;)    John Carpenter is the master everything after it is merely a copycat.

I just watched a documentary on Halloween.  When the studio execs first saw the film it had no music and they hated it so Carpenter wnet home and composed the theme.  The execs watched it again and loved it.

It didn't do very well when it first came out but thanks to a great review by Roger Ebert the movie took off.

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/02/11 at 11:15 am

I tried both as a kid and as an adult and neither of them did much for me.  I'm a big fan of Hitchcock so I was disappointed that I didn't like Psycho.  With the Exorcist the only scene I liked involved a crucifix  ;D

I LOVE the Exorcist!  Still creeps me out.  I enjoy Psycho.

I've seen so many horror movies, I love them. 

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/03/11 at 12:31 am

Happy Friday!

x22TjFNnKuk

Well, I'm horrified!

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/03/11 at 5:26 am

I LOVE the Exorcist!  Still creeps me out.  I enjoy Psycho.

I've seen so many horror movies, I love them. 
I love The Exorcist too, it is the last true horror movie made with the special effects all done in front of the camera.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/11 at 6:45 pm

I love The Exorcist too, it is the last true horror movie made with the special effects all done in front of the camera.

The scariest part for me is the demon entering Regan as "Captain Howdy."  That's how Satan will contaminate your soul, with something innocent and playful!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angry4.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/05/11 at 12:01 am

That's how Satan will contaminate your soul, with something innocent and playful!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/angry4.gif

http://ponibooru.413chan.net/_images/7dd3905643a1cad7bf72111957ffc534/20662%20-%20animated%20caption%20filly%20The_Exorcist%20twilight_sparkle.gif

Tell me about it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/11 at 1:53 am

http://ponibooru.413chan.net/_images/7dd3905643a1cad7bf72111957ffc534/20662%20-%20animated%20caption%20filly%20The_Exorcist%20twilight_sparkle.gif

Tell me about it.

You might have your little joke today, but when you wake up writhing in a suppurating puddle of boiling purple ectoplasmic goo, it's gonna take a Lake Meade full of holy water just to say good morning, so don't come crying to me!
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbh1qnXt_YiyRpC3yr3Ubzf2vEzh4bGdPBZ0d2KvZC8hWDmTynkg

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/05/11 at 2:20 am

You might have your little joke today, but when you wake up writhing in a suppurating puddle of boiling purple ectoplasmic goo, it's gonna take a Lake Meade full of holy water just to say good morning, so don't come crying to me!
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRbh1qnXt_YiyRpC3yr3Ubzf2vEzh4bGdPBZ0d2KvZC8hWDmTynkg

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/160/d/8/My_Little_Pony_ghostbuster_by_Tat2ood_Monster.jpg

Ghosts.  (*ring*  Hello, Ghostbusters.) They're real. (You do?) They're mean. (You have?) They're here.  ((Yeeaaaaaagh!) We got one!)

Ghostbusters.  (Hey, anybody seen a ghost?)  They catch the ghosts that won't stay dead. (Ghostbusters!) They're armed (Aaaaugh!) They're dangerous. (Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.  /  Right, that's bad.  OK, important safety tip, Egon.)  They're professionals. (I'm the Chairman of the largest paranormal removal company in America.)

They're all that stand between you and the end of the world.

(This city is headed for a disaster of Biblical proportions.  Real wrath of God type stuff.  Fire and brimstone coming down from the sky! / Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!

*snip*
naHSBIT0Hf0
/*snip*

Coming to save the world this summer.  Ghostbusters.  (We came, we saw, we kicked its-)

- A little something for those who remember the original trailer :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/11 at 9:39 pm

Coming to save the world this summer.  Ghostbusters.  (We came, we saw, we kicked its-)

- A little something for those who remember the original trailer :)

Yes I do!  Ghostbusters was one of the best movies of 1984.  It won no Academy awards, but there isn't an Oscar for FUN!

Stantz: Everything was fine with our system until the power grid was shut off by dickless here.
Peck: They caused an explosion!
Mayor: Is this true?
Venkman: Yes, it's true...this man has no dick!
;D

Check for new replies or respond here...