inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the first CD you ever bought?

Written By: King Tut on 09/03/11 at 6:46 pm

The first CD I ever bought was  "Nine tonight" by Bob Seger.  I'm thinking I bought it in 1988.

Subject: Re: What was the first CD you ever bought?

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/11 at 6:58 pm

The first CD I ever bought was back in 1994.  It was the soundtrack to the 1984 film 'Streets of Fire'.  I even remember I bought it at the now defunct Music World.

http://palmer.grumpster.com/uploaded_images/Weblogo-724998.jpg

Written By: King Tut on 09/03/11 at 7:19 pm

The first CD I ever bought was back in 1994.  It was the soundtrack to the 1984 film 'Streets of Fire'.  I even remember I bought it at the now defunct Music World.

http://palmer.grumpster.com/uploaded_images/Weblogo-724998.jpg

I bought lots of Cd's at Music World, or A&A's or Sam the record man back in the 1970s in Toronto.

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/11 at 7:45 pm

I bought lots of Cd's at Music World, or A&A's or Sam the record man back in the 1970s in Toronto.

A&A Records and Tapes.  That's going way back.  I miss that store.  I miss Music World.

I still shop at Sam the Record Man alot, but their prices are ridiculous on lots of stuff :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/03/11 at 9:47 pm

I didn't buy a CD player until xmas 1988.  It was a $300 Sony such-and-such model.  I still have it and it still works.  I had the drawer replaced in 1999.  I haven't used it in years but I bet if I plugged it in, it would fire right up!

My first CDs:

Handel: Messiah (Highlights) (can't remember which, I still have it in one of my binders)
The Cure: The Head on the Door (Elektra/1985)
Depeche Mode: Black Celebration (Sire/1986, subsequently replaced with UK edition)
New Order: Low-Life (Qwest/1985)
The Smiths: Meat is Murder (Sire/1985)

Written By: Davester on 09/03/11 at 10:08 pm

I think it was Decade of Steely Dan...

Written By: joeman on 09/04/11 at 12:15 pm

First CD I ever bought was Blind Melon cd in '95.

Written By: whistledog on 09/04/11 at 2:59 pm

First CD I ever bought was Blind Melon cd in '95.

Your life must've been pretty plain :P

Written By: joeman on 09/04/11 at 3:35 pm

Your life must've been pretty plain :P

lol good one  :D

Written By: Christie Marie M on 09/05/11 at 11:09 am

The B-52's Cosmic Thing

Written By: Dagwood on 09/05/11 at 2:03 pm

Bon Jovi Slippery When Wet

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/12/11 at 10:22 am

I remember the first CD single I ever bought, it was a song called up & down by Billy Lawrence. I got it at a music store called Strawberries, that was in '97.

Written By: lorac61469 on 09/12/11 at 11:21 am

Eagles - Hotel California

Written By: Davester on 09/12/11 at 10:13 pm

Ladybug's very first CD was Emotional Rescue by the Stoners...

:P

Written By: mitch1987 on 09/13/11 at 8:44 pm

I didn't buy a CD player until xmas 1988.  It was a $300 Sony such-and-such model.  I still have it and it still works.  I had the drawer replaced in 1999.  I haven't used it in years but I bet if I plugged it in, it would fire right up!

My first CD player was a Sony to and it was also $300. Bought it at the Sony Store in one of the local malls back in 1990 or so. It was quite the unit with even a fader option...kinda funny how the cd player was worth almost as much as my stereo unit at the time. I miss having the option of buying cd, tape or record not to mention having 5 different record stores to shop at. Anyone remember the big plastic cases that use to be attached to cassettes? They always seemed a pain to get off.
I think my first cd was Dokken ..Under Lock and Key.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/14/11 at 12:08 am

My first CD player was a Sony to and it was also $300. Bought it at the Sony Store in one of the local malls back in 1990 or so. It was quite the unit with even a fader option...kinda funny how the cd player was worth almost as much as my stereo unit at the time. I miss having the option of buying cd, tape or record not to mention having 5 different record stores to shop at. Anyone remember the big plastic cases that use to be attached to cassettes? They always seemed a pain to get off.
I think my first cd was Dokken ..Under Lock and Key.

Oh yeah, those were called longboxes.  They were supposed to prevent theft and promote merchandizing.  They proved an additional expense to manufacturers and unpopular with consumers.  They were phased out by 1993. 

http://www.rubyhightops.com/pics4/longbox-compact-disc.jpg

Written By: kitkat1991 on 09/14/11 at 6:48 pm

My mom got me Nsync's first CD in 1999.

Check for new replies or respond here...