inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you lived in one decade for a weekend, which one would it be?

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/20/11 at 6:17 am

Hello. It's a while since I've posted, but if you realize that you must embrace the decade as is actual (for instance, no iPads if you select 2000s, no ipods if you select 1990s, no Internet if you select 1980s), along with the fact that if you would fall into any love/relationship, it would instantly disappear when the weekend ends. So, given each decades benefits, when would you visit if it was possible?

Subject: Re: If you lived in one decade for a weekend, which one would it be?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/20/11 at 10:59 am

The 90s would be perfect for me. Don't get me wrong I love the 80s, but I get sick of it every once in a while!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/20/11 at 10:02 pm

Gut answer: 80s, but I remember enough of it to tide me over for a weekend.

Actual answer: For a weekend, I'd like to try WW2 on for size.  I'd like to know more about my grandparents and parents' cultural environment, and I remember enough history to do lulzy things to the timeline. 

(Maybe not at the level of "Everyone kills Hitler on their first trip!", but definitely at the "Dude, open this envelope in ten years...")

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/20/11 at 11:45 pm

The weekend of the Resurrection of The Christ.

Written By: King Tut on 09/20/11 at 11:50 pm

The weekend when WWII ended. One massive party.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/21/11 at 12:41 am

The weekend of the Resurrection of The Christ.

The weekend when WWII ended. One massive party.

Three great tastes that taste great together: time travel, Hitler, and Jesus!

Which somehow wound up helping me discover Jesus Christ: In the Name of the Gun. (Awesome graphic novel.  NSFW language, occasional outbursts of egregious violence, but it shouldn't qualify as blasphemous to anybody who read the parts in the Bible that were actually attributed to Christ, or who's interested in the philosophical issue of The Problem of Evil.)

Suppose Jesus had a spat with his Dad over the events of the past 2000 years.

Page 8: "You're God.  At any point you could have stopped the genocide of millions with a single breath.  Hell, I could have stopped it!"

...and then he decides he will stop it.  Along the way, he picks up Churchill, Einstein and Hemingway.

And some guy spends the past three and a half years writing a graphic novel, and he puts it all on the web for everyone to read, for free.  Book 3, some 200+ pages later, started 2 weeks ago.  Recommend you start from the beginning of the site in 2008.

Written By: King Tut on 09/21/11 at 1:01 am

.  Along the way, he picks up Churchill, Einstein and Hemingway.

And together, hand in hand, they follow the yellow brick road towards the wizard of Oz (who turns out to be 'Dad', no big surprise there).

A disgruntled Dad rejects them, sends them back to 1941. But while at the Wizard's home, Einstein swiped a laptop and ipad and a sports statistics book (I watched  'Back to the future II’ once too many times) and with this state of the art technology, he defects back to Germany, changing the course of history forever.
Nazareth is now renamed Nazireth. Israel never became a nation.
The German/Japanese alliance remained strong until the 1970s, when the testosterone filled East German swimming team leads a German assault on Japan & beats the crap out of the submissive smaller Japanese women.

Check for new replies or respond here...