inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How long is a singer or band around until you can say they 'lasted'?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/25/11 at 6:21 pm

So? What do you think? Is it 5 years at least? 8 years at least? 10 years? 15 years?

What's your take on this?

Subject: Re: How long is a singer or band around until you can say they 'lasted'?

Written By: King Tut on 09/25/11 at 8:20 pm

"The Police" were around from 1977 to 1983. I'd say they lasted.
"Cream" was around from 1966 till late 1968, early 1969. 3 years. IMO They have made a lasting impression on the music scene.

Is that what you meant or did I get the jist of your post incorrectly?

Subject: Re: How long is a singer or band around until you can say they 'lasted'?

Written By: amjikloviet on 09/25/11 at 8:50 pm

It would have to be a long time, I'd say ten years at least.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/25/11 at 9:26 pm

"The Police" were around from 1977 to 1983. I'd say they lasted.
"Cream" was around from 1966 till late 1968, early 1969. 3 years. IMO They have made a lasting impression on the music scene.

Is that what you meant or did I get the jist of your post incorrectly?

Well, Janis Joplin was from about 1966 to 1970 and her influence is HUGE, so I would say her influence lasted, but not her.
Same with Jimi Hendrix I guess. His influence was huge and lasted many decades after, but his career of about 1966-1970 isn't really what I would call 'long'.

I guess you could say The Police or Cream's influences lasted decades after, but their careers weren't long.

So what I really mean is the career, not the influence.

Written By: gibbo on 09/25/11 at 10:09 pm

Well, some bands/artists music lasts much longer than others. You can have a band with quality music who are only together for a short time...and their music is played forever. They 'last' according to the quality of their music! Then there are bands (like Staus Quo) whose music is good (without being great) and they have been together since the mid 60's. They also have lasted as they are still touring.

The Rolling Stones are the great 'lasters' of the music scene...

Written By: King Tut on 09/25/11 at 10:23 pm

Well, some bands/artists music lasts much longer than others. You can have a band with quality music who are only together for a short time...and their music is played forever. They 'last' according to the quality of their music! Then there are bands (like Staus Quo) whose music is good (without being great) and they have been together since the mid 60's. They also have lasted as they are still touring.

Then I'd reply at least a decade, maybe even 20 years. If a generation is defined at 20 years,  then they'd have to last that long to have "lasted"

Written By: whistledog on 09/25/11 at 10:50 pm

Some bands last, and you'd never even know it.  Remember Chumbawumba?  They had that big hit in 1997 with 'Tubthumping', but what you may not know is they initially formed in 1982.  Their first album was released in 1986 and 'Tubthumping' is from their 8th album.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/26/11 at 2:10 am

Some bands last, and you'd never even know it.  Remember Chumbawumba?  They had that big hit in 1997 with 'Tubthumping', but what you may not know is they initially formed in 1982.  Their first album was released in 1986 and 'Tubthumping' is from their 8th album.

Wow, I didn't know that about Chumbawumba!  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 09/26/11 at 2:10 am

Yeah, I see what you're saying.

Written By: Henk on 09/26/11 at 5:27 am

Actually, Golden Earring are around longer. :P They formed in 1961. Still together today, still touring (although, admittedly, they haven't scored a hit in 6 years, and there was a change in the line-up back in 1968/1969).

Written By: whistledog on 09/26/11 at 9:00 am

One of the big lasters in the Canadian music scene is Gordon Lightfoot.  He put out his first album in 1966, and though he has not had a hit single since 1998 (which was actually his first hit since 1986), he still writes songs, and tours the world and his last album release was 2004

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/11 at 10:33 pm

Twenty minutes in my bed!
:-\\

Written By: gibbo on 09/26/11 at 10:36 pm

Actually, Golden Earring are around longer. :P They formed in 1961. Still together today, still touring (although, admittedly, they haven't scored a hit in 6 years, and there was a change in the line-up back in 1968/1969).

Wow...I didn't know that!!  :o

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/29/11 at 10:40 pm

I remember them, but not from 1982.  Too far back.  It's as if I suffer from long-term memory loss.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/11 at 5:54 pm

I remember them, but not from 1982.  Too far back.  It's as if I suffer from long-term memory loss.

Chumbawamba didn't start releasing records on their own until 1985 ("Revolution" single, Agit Prop Records).  They appeared on a few punk compilations before that...but all you had to do to get on a punk compilation was slip a tape at a five-pound note under the door.

Written By: whistledog on 09/30/11 at 8:24 pm

Well, some bands/artists music lasts much longer than others. You can have a band with quality music who are only together for a short time...and their music is played forever. They 'last' according to the quality of their music! Then there are bands (like Staus Quo)

With Status Quo, they have not been around steadily.  They parted ways in 1985, only to realize the error of their ways, and got back together in 1986.  I have a chart book from 1987 that has a "Thanks" and "No Thanks" section ...

Thanks ... Status Quo for finally calling it a day.
No Thanks ... Status Quo, for reuniting.  Rick, Francis, into the denim with you

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/11 at 8:35 pm

With Status Quo, they have not been around steadily.  They parted ways in 1985, only to realize the error of their ways, and got back together in 1986.  I have a chart book from 1987 that has a "Thanks" and "No Thanks" section ...

Thanks ... Status Quo for finally calling it a day.
No Thanks ... Status Quo, for reuniting.  Rick, Francis, into the denim with you

Status Quo is akin to Spinal Tap!

Written By: tnf on 10/12/11 at 3:30 am

No Nirvana yet in this topic?

Hits from 1991 till 1994 (till Kurt Cobain committed suicide), but their influence lasted a lot longer.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/12/11 at 10:21 am

No Nirvana yet in this topic?

Hits from 1991 till 1994 (till Kurt Cobain committed suicide), but their influence lasted a lot longer.

Exactly! Good one.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/06/11 at 9:03 pm

I would say long enough that its clear they aren't just part of a fad.  For instance, most people back in 2000 said Eminem wouldn't last, but today its definitely clear that he did.  To the contrary, NSync and the Backstreet Boys did not last and faded into obscurity when the teen pop fad ended.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/06/11 at 11:13 pm

I would say long enough that its clear they aren't just part of a fad.  For instance, most people back in 2000 said Eminem wouldn't last, but today its definitely clear that he did.  To the contrary, NSync and the Backstreet Boys did not last and faded into obscurity when the teen pop fad ended.

I agree!

Check for new replies or respond here...