inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame snubs

Written By: King Tut on 09/27/11 at 10:09 pm

Congrats to acts like The Cure, Heart, Donovan, Guns and Roses, Donna Summer, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Spinners. Joan Jett and others or their nomination to the Rock of Roll Hall of fame in 2012.

But really, who do Pat Benatar, The Moody Blues, Linda Ronstadt and E.L.O have to kill to get in?

What are some other acts/performers who have been snubbed from the Hall of Fame?

Subject: Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame snubs

Written By: gibbo on 09/27/11 at 10:13 pm

Congrats to acts like The Cure, Heart, Donovan, Guns and Roses, Donna Summer, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Spinners. Joan Jett and others or their nomination to the Rock of Roll Hall of fame in 2012.

But really, who do Pat Benatar, The Moody Blues, Linda Ronstadt and E.L.O have to kill to get in?

What are some other acts/performers who have been snubbed from the Hall of Fame?

Yes, you only have to listen to ELO's Greatest Hits album to wonder why they're not already in the HOF.  Chilli peppers are great ... but I can only name a few of their tunes.  :-\\

Written By: nally on 09/28/11 at 11:02 am

Bon Jovi hasn't gotten in yet, and they've been active since the mid-80s.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/28/11 at 12:33 pm

I read about the nominees in today's paper and my first reaction was, "WHAT??!!! Joan Jett OVER Pat Benatar??!!" I can't believe that because Joan Jett basically had only ONE hit. Pat Benatar has has how many OUTSTANDING albums! It really p!sses me off. Pat Benatar totally deserves it. (Well, so do the others you have listed, too. But I am a BIG Pat Benatar fan.)

Cat

Written By: King Tut on 09/28/11 at 12:41 pm

I read about the nominees in today's paper and my first reaction was, "WHAT??!!! Joan Jett OVER Pat Benatar??!!" I can't believe that because Joan Jett basically had only ONE hit. Pat Benatar has has how many OUTSTANDING albums! It really p!sses me off. Pat Benatar totally deserves it. (Well, so do the others you have listed, too. But I am a BIG Pat Benatar fan.)

Cat

I don't know how anyone can reason it out that Joan Jett can go in over Pat Benatar.

I don't think "Boston" or "The Cars" (who are from Boston)  are in either. 

Written By: 80sfan on 09/28/11 at 5:44 pm

Pat Benatar should sing this to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

You come on with a come on you don't fight fair
But that's okay, see if I care
Knock me down it's all in vain
I'll get right back on my feet again...

:(

Written By: 80sfan on 09/28/11 at 5:54 pm

We're are cooked, cowmeat to cowmeat we stand,
Promised and delivered on the stand
Everyone chewing
Love is a cattlefield

;D

Written By: King Tut on 09/28/11 at 6:14 pm

Everyone chewing
Love is a cattlefield

;D

Or "Rock and Roll hall is for children"

Written By: nally on 09/28/11 at 6:16 pm

Good one! :D Karma+1

Written By: 80sfan on 09/28/11 at 6:57 pm

;D Yes.

Written By: loki 13 on 09/28/11 at 8:12 pm

"The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was a great idea when it started, but I think they ought to close it. I think it's full."....Neil Young

No truer words have been spoken. With the exception of the Moody Blues no one mentioned in this thread deserves to be there.
I don't think the majority of people already in deserves to be there. The whole concept is a total sham.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/28/11 at 9:33 pm

RUSH is not in there!  Can you imagine?  By the way, I totally think Joan Jett before Pat Benetar.  It's not that I don't like PB, but it's not supposed to be measured by commercial success, it's supposed to be about what kind of mark you've left.  Anyway, I do agree with Loki that it's all become a sham now anyway!

Written By: 80sfan on 09/29/11 at 3:30 am

Once you get to about 2004 in music history it's going to be hard to pick people who are worthy of the Hall of Fame.  :-\\ God forbid they induct Miley Cyrus or T-Pain in the Hall of Fame in about 2030, they might as well pull the plug on the whole thing!

Written By: gibbo on 09/29/11 at 3:43 am

"The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame was a great idea when it started, but I think they ought to close it. I think it's full."....Neil Young

No truer words have been spoken. With the exception of the Moody Blues no one mentioned in this thread deserves to be there.
I don't think the majority of people already in deserves to be there. The whole concept is a total sham.

It's sort of like getting a star on the Hollywood walk of fame. Anyone gets one now....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/30/11 at 11:00 pm

Everyone chewing
Love is a cattlefield

;D

Sounds like some of Charlie Manson's lyrics!
8)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/01/11 at 9:10 am

ELO is one of my favorite bands, and karma to King Tut and gibbo for bringing this up.

Not to mention...why in the blue f*ck is Madonna IN the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?!?  >:( >:( >:(

Written By: King Tut on 10/01/11 at 4:11 pm

There are several acts/artists I would not include in the "Rock and Roll hall of fame", but I won't into get into it. I might stir the pot a little.... :)

Written By: danootaandme on 10/01/11 at 6:22 pm

Pat Benatar and Joan Jett were even considered?  ::)

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/11 at 12:06 am

Cliff Richard (first hit, 1958), Status Quo (first hit, 1968) and April Wine (first hit, 1971) are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but they all should be!

However, I am not sure if they ever will be.  The RNR Hall of Fame is Based out of Cleveland, and these three artists had limited success in the States.  They were bigger in their home countries.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/02/11 at 7:57 pm

Sounds like some of Charlie Manson's lyrics!
8)

I see why!  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 10/03/11 at 12:14 am

Cliff Richard (first hit, 1958), Status Quo (first hit, 1968) and April Wine (first hit, 1971) are not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but they all should be!

However, I am not sure if they ever will be.  The RNR Hall of Fame is Based out of Cleveland, and these three artists had limited success in the States.  They were bigger in their home countries.

Yes, the criteria for entry (first and foremost) is to have been big in the U.S. After all, isn't that considered to be the centre of the universe?  ::)

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/03/11 at 6:42 am

Yes, the criteria for entry (first and foremost) is to have been big in the U.S. After all, isn't that considered to be the centre of the universe?  ::)

Well, to be fair, these are the inductees into the R&R Hall of Fame in America.  Again, I don't get many of their choices or exclusions, but I suppose they would choose whomever had an impact on the American music scene.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/03/11 at 8:11 am

Well, to be fair, these are the inductees into the R&R Hall of Fame in America.  Again, I don't get many of their choices or exclusions, but I suppose they would choose whomever had an impact on the American music scene.

They should at least change the name to The American Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Then at least it won't give people false hope or the wrong idea. ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/03/11 at 8:12 am

LOL

Written By: 80sfan on 10/03/11 at 8:13 am

ELO is one of my favorite bands, and karma to King Tut and gibbo for bringing this up.

Not to mention...why in the blue f*ck is Madonna IN the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?!?  >:( >:( >:(

Oh God, I hope Britney Spears isn't going in there 15 years from now.  >:(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/03/11 at 11:45 am

Pat Benatar and Joan Jett were even considered?   ::)

Joan Jett is in this year's class. Pat Benatar is being snub-AGAIN. And yes, I think PB SHOULD be there. I don't think JJ should-she is basically a one-hit wonder. Pat on the other hand, had many hits and many successful albums. And she puts on one hell of a show-saw her in concert last year.  http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=26885.285 (Yup-another shameless plug for my pics.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D )

Cat

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/03/11 at 12:23 pm

They should at least change the name to The American Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. Then at least it won't give people false hope or the wrong idea. ::)

That might lead people to believe it will only induct Americans.

Written By: King Tut on 10/03/11 at 12:25 pm

Joan Jett is in this year's class. Pat Benatar is being snub-AGAIN. And yes, I think PB SHOULD be there. I don't think JJ should-she is basically a one-hit wonder. Pat on the other hand, had many hits and many successful albums. And she puts on one hell of a show-saw her in concert last year.  http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=26885.285 (Yup-another shameless plug for my pics.  :D ;D ;D ;D ;D )

Cat

Pat's also got 4 grammys. Joan has zilch.   Joan must have some compromising photos of one of the head board members...that's why she's in  ;)

Written By: ladybug316 on 10/03/11 at 2:57 pm

Joan Jett was also a member of the Runaways which is an underground favorite.  Again, not having anything to do with commercial success.

Written By: ralfy on 09/24/16 at 12:58 pm

"Donovan embraces 50th anniversary of his '60s heyday"

https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/music/2016/09/14/donovan-embraces-anniversary-his-heyday/wpEHykXmOL4VKGHeDy91SI/story.html

Written By: Knew Wave on 09/24/16 at 9:19 pm

Cat

She was one of the biggest rock stars of the '80s, she had some of the biggest rock songs of the era, she had some of the best rock CDs of the era, and she was one of the best rock singers of any era. I never trusted Rolling Stone, and this ridiculous snub demonstrated why.

Written By: nally on 01/31/18 at 11:06 pm

Bon Jovi hasn't gotten in yet, and they've been active since the mid-80s.

...but this year they're finally getting in. Along with the Moody Blues, who I think are long overdue for induction.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/02/18 at 6:18 am

Hard to believe that we're only a couple years away from Nu Metal-era inductees, meaning that Korn (eligible in 2019), Linkin Park, and Limp Bizkit are soon to be inducted. Of course, post-grunge is just around the corner as well. The '90s Britpop supergroups (Oasis, Blur, Verve) should definitely be in there as well, despite limited success in America and they still have a rock-oriented sound. The problem is after these '90s bands, the 2000s is comparatively weak, and even the '90s pale in comparison to the '60s-'80s bands when rock was at its peak.

I'd currently say the ultimate snub is Soundgarden, who have been eligible since 2011 but have never been nominated, with the latest wave of nominees especially shocking since Chris Cornell died just last year.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/04/18 at 5:37 pm

Hard to believe that we're only a couple years away from Nu Metal-era inductees, meaning that Korn (eligible in 2019), Linkin Park, and Limp Bizkit are soon to be inducted. Of course, post-grunge is just around the corner as well. The '90s Britpop supergroups (Oasis, Blur, Verve) should definitely be in there as well, despite limited success in America and they still have a rock-oriented sound. The problem is after these '90s bands, the 2000s is comparatively weak, and even the '90s pale in comparison to the '60s-'80s bands when rock was at its peak.

I'd currently say the ultimate snub is Soundgarden, who have been eligible since 2011 but have never been nominated, with the latest wave of nominees especially shocking since Chris Cornell died just last year.

Again I say Pat Benatar.  >:( >:( >:(  She has been eligible since 2004.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...