inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: T.V. Shows That Create A Sub-Culture

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/12 at 11:48 am

I'm sure many of you know that Carlos & I are watching the old episodes of Dark Shadows which is out on DVD. At the end of each DVD, they have a "bonus interview" with members of the cast or someone who worked behind the scenes. Last night we watched one interview where the person mentioned how a fan had her dentist put bonds on her teeth so she would look like a vampire.

It hit me that Dark Shadows has really created a sub-culture. The show ended its run over 40 years ago in 1970 and it is still as popular. With all the eps out on DVD, there have been a few movies. They tried to revive the series back in 1991 and either this year or next, a new movie is coming out starring Johnny Depp. They have many conventions, etc. etc.

Then I started to wonder how many other shows create such a subculture. Then it hit me...

Star Trek!

How many series, how many movies, conventions, etc. etc. You have the battle of the "Trekkie vs Treker." There is even a language. Can you speak Klingon?

Another one that I don't know about because I have never watched it or followed it-maybe others here can help me out on this one...

Doctor Who!

Any others?

Cat

Subject: Re: T.V. Shows That Create A Sub-Culture

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/12 at 3:28 pm

Firefly!  I'm a browncoat!!!

Also I will say there's a definite sub culture of Buffy Fans.  Some of my closet friendships have been made over bonding with people at a buffy cast reunion in 2007!  A few years ago the Buffy musical episode Once More With Feeling  was screened at theaters and venues across the country billed as a sing-a-long (and, in some cases, a fund raising event)!  I didn't get to attend one but I would've if I could've.  Fox sort of got mad about fans spearheading these and put the kabash on it. BASTARDS!  >:(

Supernatural  and Farscape have  huge followings.... they always have conventions.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/11/12 at 3:39 pm

Firefly!  I'm a browncoat!!!

Also I will say there's a definite sub culture of Buffy Fans.  Some of my closet friendships have been made over bonding with people at a buffy cast reunion in 2007!  A few years ago the Buffy musical episode Once More With Feeling  was screened at theaters and venues across the country billed as a sing-a-long (and, in some cases, a fund raising event)!  I didn't get to attend one but I would've if I could've.  Fox sort of got mad about fans spearheading these and put the kabash on it. BASTARDS!  >:(

Supernatural  and Farscape have  huge followings.... they always have conventions.

I thought about Buffy after I posted.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/12 at 9:03 pm

I thought about Buffy after I posted.

Cat

Thank you  8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/11/12 at 10:18 pm

Hmm.  That's a toughie.

http://mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/rsz/1309_small.jpg

Y4_0qtAulNw

Lemme think for a bit. :)

Skipping over My Little Pony and their recent invasion of Manehattan, Dr. Who is the earliest TV-based subculture I can think of.  As long as we're fessing up, I was also a Trekker and a Browncoat.

Since it's 2012, I wonder if the upcoming reboot of Napoleon Dynamite will live up to its premise and revitalize the movie-oriented subculture.

It's FOX animation, so I'm expecting it to die the same death as Allen Gregory and Bob's Burgers.  (Bob's Burgers actually got a third season; although it's funnier than it looks, but I still miss the days of Futurama and King of the HillAllen Gregory was watchable only insofar as you could watch a show where you hated all the characters as insufferable douchebags.  That got old after one episode.)  But I'll be watching the Napoleon Dynamite reboot nonetheless.  It's got the original voice actors from the movie.  Even if it's bad, it might be good.

Written By: snozberries on 01/12/12 at 2:03 am

funny you should mention ND... I was at an event for the premiere ep. 

They screened one ep then we got to talk to the panel that featured,  Jon Heder, the dude who plays Pedro, Tina Majorino, the grandma, the uncle and Dedrich Bader....also Mike Scully and the two creators Jared and judhera? hess... 

anyway the creative minds behind the Simpsons & Futurama are writers on ND so it should be pretty solid. Will it survive? hard to say but what I saw was a hell of a lot funnier than Allan Gregory,.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/13/12 at 11:01 pm

funny you should mention ND... I was at an event for the premiere ep. 

Good that it's got some solid writing.  Even if it doesn't last, it'll be a decent season or so. 

Will it survive? hard to say but what I saw was a hell of a lot funnier than Allan Gregory

I was about to ask you how the Napoleon Dynamite reboot was, but then I realized I didn't want any spoilers. 

And then I realized that Ayn Rand could eat an entire Dostoyevsky novel and poop something funnier than Allen Gregory, so I don't think you've leaked any spoilers about ND :)  The world finds out just how much funnier this weekend.

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/12 at 9:36 am

I wish I could fly so I could attend this!!!

Nov. 30-Dec. 2 (2012): Welcome to the Hellmouth (Barcelona, Spain)  It's the first buffy convention in Spain.

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/12 at 9:38 am

Good that it's got some solid writing.  Even if it doesn't last, it'll be a decent season or so. 

I was about to ask you how the Napoleon Dynamite reboot was, but then I realized I didn't want any spoilers. 

And then I realized that Ayn Rand could eat an entire Dostoyevsky novel and poop something funnier than Allen Gregory, so I don't think you've leaked any spoilers about ND :)  The world finds out just how much funnier this weekend.

;D

I'll be interested to find out what you think after you watch on Sunday.... I still have to tune in to watch the second ep.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/12 at 6:08 pm

I wish I could fly so I could attend this!!!

Nov. 30-Dec. 2 (2012): Welcome to the Hellmouth (Barcelona, Spain)  It's the first buffy convention in Spain.

Well, there is the Queen Mary.

http://www.cunard.com/Ships/Queen-Mary-2/

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 6:12 pm

Well, there is the Queen Mary.

http://www.cunard.com/Ships/Queen-Mary-2/

Cat

good point.....but after the italy thing I'm crossing cruiseships off my list too....

too be honest they were all ready off my list. Cramped quarters, all those people I don't know, people in sandals and bare feet....it's not my idea of a vacation  8-P

not the mention the TV I'd miss while I was on the stupid boat.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/12 at 6:16 pm

good point.....but after the italy thing I'm crossing cruiseships off my list too....

too be honest they were all ready off my list. Cramped quarters, all those people I don't know, people in sandals and bare feet....it's not my idea of a vacation  8-P

not the mention the TV I'd miss while I was on the stupid boat.

I had been thinking about that Italian cruise ship, too. The poor people on it. You could always just swallow your fear and jump on a plane. I do several times a year.  :-\\  And if you fly JetBlue-you get to watch DirectTV for free.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 6:23 pm

I had been thinking about that Italian cruise ship, too. The poor people on it. You could always just swallow your fear and jump on a plane. I do several times a year.  :-\\  And if you fly JetBlue-you get to watch DirectTV for free.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

it's the combo of the fear of flying but also I don't wanna deal with TSA.  you're really underestimating my aversion to the foot thing...it's a serious thing for me. People think its funny and post pics and stuff but I have serious, deep rooted issues that I'm not going into. I don't want to be barefoot around people and I don't want to be around people not wearing shoes.... socks are not as bad but not enough coverage for me... 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/12 at 6:30 pm

it's the combo of the fear of flying but also I don't wanna deal with TSA.  you're really underestimating my aversion to the foot thing...it's a serious thing for me. People think its funny and post pics and stuff but I have serious, deep rooted issues that I'm not going into. I don't want to be barefoot around people and I don't want to be around people not wearing shoes.... socks are not as bad but not enough coverage for me...

I totally understand issues but it a shame to let issues stop you from doing something that you would like to do. Which is why I swallow my fear. Maybe there will come a time when we don't have to take our shoes off anymore. It is really stupid that we have to in the first place. But that is for another thread.  ;)

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 6:33 pm

I totally understand issues but it a shame to let issues stop you from doing something that you would like to do. Which is why I swallow my fear. Maybe there will come a time when we don't have to take our shoes off anymore. It is really stupid that we have to in the first place. But that is for another thread.  ;)

Cat

agreed...and here's hoping!

Oh... after Paleyfest this year.... I'm going to a mini comic-con called WonderCon. They used to do it in San Francisco but this year they moved it to Anaheim. It's my first one...it's not as spectacualr as ComicCon in San Diego but I hope there's some good TV Fandom going on!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/15/12 at 6:44 pm

agreed...and here's hoping!

Oh... after Paleyfest this year.... I'm going to a mini comic-con called WonderCon. They used to do it in San Francisco but this year they moved it to Anaheim. It's my first one...it's not as spectacualr as ComicCon in San Diego but I hope there's some good TV Fandom going on!

I have never been to any convention. Does that make me a deprived child?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 6:48 pm

I have never been to any convention. Does that make me a deprived child?  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

yes it does... I've done a couple of sci fi ones in nor cal... it was not as bad as I expected it to be... a bit scary but I was thinking of it as over the top this was only slightly scary! 

BTW I do NOT dress up!    I've never made it to Comic Con but I'm dying to go!

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/15/12 at 8:16 pm

Yes.

Snoz already covered it - pick a con of interest and go there.  Costumes are hardly mandatory, it just looks that way because the only pictures that get seen by non-attendees are of the top 1% (OK, let's be honest, top 10%) of the costumes, even 30 years later.

For every Skywalker, Palpatine, Vader, or Organa who can really pull it off, there are hundreds of members of the 501st Legion, but there are thousands of (dude/chick)s in t-shirt just enjoying the fandom.  And that's not only just fine, it's awesome.  It's the way cons are supposed to be.

Go to a con.  Any con.  Prove us wrong.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/16/12 at 12:42 pm

Yes.

Snoz already covered it - pick a con of interest and go there.  Costumes are hardly mandatory, it just looks that way because the only pictures that get seen by non-attendees are of the top 1% (OK, let's be honest, top 10%) of the costumes, even 30 years later.

For every Skywalker, Palpatine, Vader, or Organa who can really pull it off, there are hundreds of members of the 501st Legion, but there are thousands of (dude/chick)s in t-shirt just enjoying the fandom.  And that's not only just fine, it's awesome.  It's the way cons are supposed to be.

Go to a con.  Any con.  Prove us wrong.

The problem with going is dragging a certain person with me. It will not be easy to convince him to go-and it would be very hard for me to go without him.

But, I'm sure if there was one that I REALLY, REALLY wanted to go to, he would. (Hell, a few years ago, I convinced him to go with me to see Pat Benatar & REO Speedwagon-even though he HATED REO.)

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/16/12 at 9:34 pm

The problem with going is dragging a certain person with me. It will not be easy to convince him to go-and it would be very hard for me to go without him.

Oh, that's right, you've got a life.  My deepest condolences! :)

I'm not up on the whole life-having business, but there's enough of a range out there that two people should eventually be able to find something where interests, local attractions unrelated to the con, and scheduling can coincide. 

I'll be interested to find out what you think after you watch on Sunday.... I still have to tune in to watch the second ep.

Both episodes aired Sunday night. 

I'm gonna go as far as to say that the reboot of Napoleon Dynamite was funnier than the mess of failure that was Allen Gregory.  Having put up with AG, I'll give ND a few episodes to grow into itself, but I'm not terribly hopeful.  Then again, it's FOX on a Sunday night.  It's not like there's anything else on, and I'm willing to forgive a lot for a series that can tip its hat to the Rock-afire Explosion.

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/12 at 11:48 pm

But, I'm sure if there was one that I REALLY, REALLY wanted to go to, he would. (Hell, a few years ago, I convinced him to go with me to see Pat Benatar & REO Speedwagon-even though he HATED REO.)

Cat

the opportunity to study the attendees as a sub-culture should fascinate this person. I mean...really think of all the scholastic observational possiblities there  ;D

if you were to come to So Cal at some point and there were a convention you were interested in  I would go with you  8) 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/12 at 12:09 am

"Sex and the City" created a subculture.  There are personality types referred by the women's names:  Carmen, Miranda, Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria.  Something like that.
???

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 12:10 am

"Sex and the City" created a subculture.  There are personality types referred by the women's names:  Carmen, Miranda, Nina, Pinta, Santa Maria.  Something like that.
???

Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte....    ;D 

I'm more of a Miranda myself...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/17/12 at 12:33 am

For awhile (don't know if they still have them anymore) but they had Beauty and the Beast fans conventions.  I liked the series enough to want to go to one, but never actually went.  Now when I see Ron Perlman in movies (and he is in ALOT) I always think of him as "that Beast guy".  ;D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/Hamilton-perlman-BandB.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 12:46 am

For awhile (don't know if they still have them anymore) but they had Beauty and the Beast fans conventions.  I liked the series enough to want to go to one, but never actually went.  Now when I see Ron Perlman in movies (and he is in ALOT) I always think of him as "that Beast guy".  ;D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/91/Hamilton-perlman-BandB.jpg

I too love that show but never went to a convention.  I wish Linda Hamilton had stuck around longer. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/12 at 12:52 am

Carrie, Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte....    ;D 

I'm more of a Miranda myself...

Yeah, but I don't have to know that before hand!  Tell me later.  Down the road!
:)

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 12:54 am

Yeah, but I don't have to know that before hand!  Tell me later.  Down the road!
:)

;D 

I don't know...it could work in your favor if you find out a girl is a Samantha ahead of time.... actually if you know the girl is a carrie or charlotte  then it also helps because you know to run away and never look back.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/17/12 at 1:22 am

Well, there was Monty Python's Flying Circus, which was a hip thing among hipsters in the 1970s.  My friend and I used to memorize who sketches and name people we know after MPFC characters and so forth...In a lot of towns you had a clique of Monty Python geeks who go around barging in the queues, acting like acrobats and and formin' pyramids and frightening the children!

Repeat after me:

BASIL FAWLTY IS NOT A ROLE MODEL!

:D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/17/12 at 4:57 am

I too love that show but never went to a convention.  I wish Linda Hamilton had stuck around longer.

I think Beauty and Beast did not really get along very well off-camera as they did on-camera. 

Written By: snozberries on 01/17/12 at 4:57 am

I think Beauty and Beast did not really get along very well off-camera as they did on-camera.

I know but they got paid well enough to fake it for the fans  lol

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/19/12 at 12:44 am

I don't know...it could work in your favor if you find out a girl is a Samantha ahead of time.... actually if you know the girl is a carrie or charlotte  then it also helps because you know to run away and never look back.

I'm gonna speak on behalf of all male-kind.  If the woman we're with makes any reference to SATC, the correct move is to (Hey!  It's Kim Cattrall about 20 years before she became Samantha!  Feel free to commit acts of moral turpitude, but know that Porky's was filmed in 1982, and that the final move is still to...) run

Al Bundy: Now, Jeff, all kidding aside, run. Run hard, run now, run silent, run deep, run like Mexican water through a first-time tourist, but the key word here is "run!"
Jefferson D'Arcy: Don't you think she's cute, Al?
Al Bundy: Run.

- Married with Children, ca. 1991.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/19/12 at 9:54 am

Red Dwarf

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/12 at 9:17 pm

Women using Sex and the City as role models is like guys using the Three Stooges as role models.

I'm a Larry.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hxdnntF5Nso/SjrL_ilvVLI/AAAAAAAADp8/K0QMCTx4ARQ/s400/LarryStooge.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/20/12 at 11:16 am

Women using Sex and the City as role models is like guys using the Three Stooges as role models.

I'm a Larry.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hxdnntF5Nso/SjrL_ilvVLI/AAAAAAAADp8/K0QMCTx4ARQ/s400/LarryStooge.jpg

...This is my brother Darrell, and this is my other brother Darrell.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...