inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Star Wars Uncut: The Director's Cut

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/25/12 at 11:48 pm

Alongside the netwide protests against SOPA, director Casey Pugh released his film Star Wars: Uncut in its entirety on YouTube last week.

7ezeYJUz-84

Done with the blessing of Lucasfilm (!) as an experiment in crowdsourcing and fair use, the greatest viral video ever features the contributions of 473 fans - in 15-second segments - and is a complete retelling of Star Wars: A New Hope.

Block out two hours of time this weekend.  Cook up a giant bowl of popcorn.  Hook the PC up to the TV and watch the whole thing, just as if you were watching it in the theater.  Even if your initial reaction is one of cringing horror, stick with it for a bit.  Within ten minutes, you'll have realized this movie includes all your old action figures, hallowe'en costumes, office furniture, homebrew doodles and sketches, lunch-bag and finger puppets, Lego toys, Nerf guns, a goodly smattering of Wilhelm screams, as well as dozens of your neighbors, co-workers, their kids, cats, dogs, and the occasional ferret, and you'll be hooked.  You won't want to blink for the rest of the night, lest you miss something awesome.  No scene is longer than 15 seconds, and every scene reflects a fan's unique interpretation of Star Wars.

Subject: Re: Star Wars Uncut: The Director's Cut

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/12 at 3:52 pm

This is worth watching?  No foolin'?
???

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/31/12 at 9:28 pm

???

Aaw, you didn't watch far enough!  It's just the right blend of parody and homage.  If you don't care for a scene, just wait 15 seconds.  I can't predict which scene will keep you watching, I can only predict that sooner or later, everyone will find something that hooks them and keeps them going through the whole thing.  As our board's self-appointed authority on wasting time, I can categorically say this wasn't a waste of time.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/12 at 10:09 pm

???

if you've seen the movies as many times as I have it is.  I couldn't watch it all at once, but it's oddly hypnotic watching how various people try to act out the various scenes or animate them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/31/12 at 10:16 pm

I'll have a look at it.  I'm sentimental about Star Wars too.  I think it's a universal Gen-X thing.
8)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/31/12 at 10:26 pm

I watched some of it until hubby said to me "but I thought you didn't like Star Wars?"  Me: Well...I don't, but I like watching other peoples' creative homage to something they are into.

I especially like the clips involving cats (go figure.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/31/12 at 11:00 pm

I watched some of it until hubby said to me "but I thought you didn't like Star Wars?"  Me: Well...I don't, but I like watching other peoples' creative homage to something they are into.

I especially like the clips involving cats (go figure.)

You didn't like Star Wars?

She didn't like Star Wars?

How's that possible?
???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/01/12 at 6:31 am

You didn't like Star Wars?

She didn't like Star Wars?

How's that possible?
???

I can't figure out why I'm not a SW nut either.  I should be.  I'm geeky, I love Star Trek and Dr. Who and Torchwood and other spacey stuff.  Just could not get into the SW franchise.  I mean, I kinda found it sorta interesting to a point... but by the original third one (Return of the Jedi?) I didn't even bother going to see it at the theater.  I'm sure I've probably seen most of it in bits and pieces on t.v. by now.  And as I was dating the hubster, I went to see the other 3 (the things you do for love...)  ;) :D :D  I hope I don't have to turn in my nerd license now that I've admitted to not being a huge fan of SW.  :-\\

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/01/12 at 7:50 am

I can't figure out why I'm not a SW nut either.  I should be.  I'm geeky, I love Star Trek and Dr. Who and Torchwood and other spacey stuff.  Just could not get into the SW franchise.  I mean, I kinda found it sorta interesting to a point... but by the original third one (Return of the Jedi?) I didn't even bother going to see it at the theater.  I'm sure I've probably seen most of it in bits and pieces on t.v. by now.  And as I was dating the hubster, I went to see the other 3 (the things you do for love...)  ;) :D :D  I hope I don't have to turn in my nerd license now that I've admitted to not being a huge fan of SW.  :-\\

While I've seen the original trilogy dozens if not hundreds of times, I don't view them in the best light myself anymore.  Definitely kiddie fodder.  Star Trek and Doctor Who are far superior.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/02/12 at 6:32 pm

I started watching it and I just had to skip forward to the cantina scene. There's some really funny stuff in here.

I definitely need to sit down and watch this in its entirety when I have some time.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/03/12 at 2:27 am

While I've seen the original trilogy dozens if not hundreds of times, I don't view them in the best light myself anymore.  Definitely kiddie fodder.  Star Trek and Doctor Who are far superior.

As science fiction?  Sure.  As a throwback to your first pop culture memories (OK, you probably have to be of a certain age for that to make sense), it's all about the Star Wars.  Some of the most amusing segments are the ones of kids who still know nothing more than that they love Star Wars.  Like (people of a certain age) did in 1977.

I started watching it and I just had to skip forward to the cantina scene. There's some really funny stuff in here.

I definitely need to sit down and watch this in its entirety when I have some time.

This.  My "ha ha" moment was the opening credits.  My "Neat!" moment was the flaming cardboard spaceship in the opening shot.  My "WhyTF am I watching this was the first animated segment and the guys in gold and silver tinfoil.  My "I get it" moment was the perfect segue and seamless integration between homebrew CGI, Toy Story characters, Star Wars and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles action figures, and a minute or two of dozens of random office workers in rebel-soldier hats made of everything from tinvoil to bicycle helmets.  The "Must see more" moment was the Lego minifigs on straws.  My clincher was seeing my (not my, but the same ones I played with as a child) old action figures at 6 minutes in.  And all doubt was removed when I saw the first bar scene involving the bottles at 7:30.  Clicked "Stop", blocked out an evening, resumed with BEvERage in hand.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/03/12 at 7:16 pm

As science fiction?  Sure.  As a throwback to your first pop culture memories (OK, you probably have to be of a certain age for that to make sense), it's all about the Star Wars.  Some of the most amusing segments are the ones of kids who still know nothing more than that they love Star Wars.  Like (people of a certain age) did in 1977.

People of a certain age thought Star Wars was the coolest thing in the world!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUQc1Sdcjo8

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/05/12 at 9:50 pm

As long as we're stumbling down memory lane, here's the other reason I enjoyed the fan remake -- the granddaddy of Star Wars parodies, 1977's Hardware Wars.

utFvMjJ9UTk

Back in 1977, that 12-minute short cost $8000 to make, and it grossed over a million. 

A lot of people laughed, a lot of people cried, and a lot of people kissed three bucks goodbye.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/29/12 at 10:37 pm

Happy Belated 35th Anniversary, Star Wars!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_IOMgKipAkNM/TUcZXPHJ5nI/AAAAAAAAAS8/sFSUvtKCMEs/s320/Episode4.gif
  -  Episode IV: A New Hope

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IOMgKipAkNM/TUcZw5K-vSI/AAAAAAAAATA/GPuiseYcgiU/s1600/0QSNt.gif
  - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_IOMgKipAkNM/TUcbFHgwNrI/AAAAAAAAATM/6tQpDZ1JyJ8/s320/returnofth.gif
  - Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

(I was a week late.  But even if you're on dialup, you should be able to download the trilogy in all their glorious 129x78x256/64/16 color .GIF glory!  200 kilobytes per movie! :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/12 at 11:21 am

People of a certain age thought Star Wars was the coolest thing in the world!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUQc1Sdcjo8

I have a friend who went to a SCI-FI convention and David Prouse (Darth Vader) was there. He sang a ditty to the tune of the Star Wars Theme:

Star Wars made me a fortune
Paid off the mortgage
Bought me a car.

As long as we're stumbling down memory lane, here's the other reason I enjoyed the fan remake -- the granddaddy of Star Wars parodies, 1977's Hardware Wars.

utFvMjJ9UTk

Back in 1977, that 12-minute short cost $8000 to make, and it grossed over a million. 

A lot of people laughed, a lot of people cried, and a lot of people kissed three bucks goodbye.

Don't forget "Star Whores".  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 05/31/12 at 6:14 pm

utFvMjJ9UTk

;D  Love it!  Been years since I have seen that.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/01/12 at 11:15 pm

Don't forget "Star Whores".  :D ;D ;D ;D

Episode 1, 2, or 3?  (Yes, it's available on Amazon, but the safe-for-work parodies on YouTube are just as funny :)

Check for new replies or respond here...