inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fads/clothing trends/etc that you participated in which you wish you hadn't?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/28/12 at 1:54 am

From any decade, what are some fads, or clothing/hair styles, or other pop cultural trends which you took part in which you look back at and say "Geez, I really did/wore/etc that"?

Subject: Re: Fads/clothing trends/etc that you participated in which you wish you hadn't?

Written By: ladybug316 on 01/28/12 at 10:36 am

Neon clothing, the side ponytail, the mullet, those button down shirts that were long like tails in the back... The 80's were a bit of a scary place.

Subject: Re: Fads/clothing trends/etc that you participated in which you wish you hadn't?

Written By: Lindee on 01/28/12 at 7:23 pm

From the 70s: crotched vests and pantsuits.

Written By: tnf on 01/28/12 at 11:43 pm

The 80's were a bit of a scary place.

;D

But for me...

-Wooden, multi-colored parrot earrings in the early 90s
-Bright orange colored sweaters around 1996; was hip back then (wrong choice with my 'Scandinavian' complexion, made me look like I was almost dead...)
-In the same period: A lime green winter coat with a bright yellow cap and sheathing (also a wrong choice with my complexion), and absolutely no fit, just a formless bag (made me look even more dead, because I've always been quite thin)
-Platform shoes in the late 90s (Baby Spice like horror)

:-[

Written By: Emman on 01/28/12 at 11:50 pm

Expect emo to be on here for anyone who was into that thing around '05-'08 ;D.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/29/12 at 7:25 pm

Bleached spiked hair in the early '00s, my other classmates had it so I had to follow.  ::)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/29/12 at 10:12 pm

Permanent wave hair in very tight small curls.  I wanted big, luxurious curls like in the magazines, but could never get the hand of the curling irons.  Also tried crimping my hair for awhile.  Not a good look for me either.

I went through a bright colored Hawaiian shirt and brightly colored sweater dress period for awhile.  Also had my Freshman year yearbook photo taken with a knit tie (which I'd learned to tie myself from Glamour Magazine) over a white/blue striped Polo (knockoff) shirt.  Yeah, fashion was never my forte.  lol

I never cared for the "Rat-tail" look from the 90s. 
http://images.sodahead.com%2Fpolls%2F000005101%2Fpolls_100_1584.jpg_4701_244564.jpeg_answer_6_xlarge.jpeg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/30/12 at 1:03 am

Bogey's mail order catalog from London.

Pokey overpriced Goth gear from the 1980s.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2HUtUeiyF3M/SmzKPBv_azI/AAAAAAAAGS8/lzZ55izEcRg/s1600/bogeys4.jpg

Also, Allston Beat in Harvard Square and Back Bay.  Handy one-stop shopping for overpriced leather, overpriced leather accessories, and overpriced Doc Martens!

http://www.plasticbombshop.de/images/product_images/popup_images/626_0.jpg

I was once called a "fascist fairy."
:-\\

Written By: Emman on 01/30/12 at 9:10 pm

Bogey's mail order catalog from London.

Pokey overpriced Goth gear from the 1980s.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_2HUtUeiyF3M/SmzKPBv_azI/AAAAAAAAGS8/lzZ55izEcRg/s1600/bogeys4.jpg

Also, Allston Beat in Harvard Square and Back Bay.  Handy one-stop shopping for overpriced leather, overpriced leather accessories, and overpriced Doc Martens!

http://www.plasticbombshop.de/images/product_images/popup_images/626_0.jpg

I was once called a "fascist fairy."
:-\\

Those clothes look pretty cool to me. ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/12 at 11:57 am

Layered hair with a perm. The perm was not my idea-I let someone talk me into it.  ::)  Because my hair was layered at one point, everyone who worked on my hair thought it SHOULD be layered and they kept layering it. It took FOREVER for my hair to grow out-now it is how I like it-long with bangs-which is basically a 60s/70s style but I don't care. The funny thing is, it is now coming back in fashion.

Cat

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/31/12 at 9:33 pm

Bleached spiked hair in the early '00s, my other classmates had it so I had to follow.  ::)

I remember that fad. When I was eleven years old (around 2002-2003), I spiked my hair all up and wore an unbuttoned shirt with a tank top underneath, and a gold chain to top it all off.

About a year later, I wore several chains around my neck at once. My dad called me "Mr. T" because of that.

When I was about fourteen and fifteen, I briefly wore a loop earring in my left ear.

Finally, at age seventeen, I wore pajama bottoms underneath my jeans several times to school. What's worse is that my jeans had holes in them, so people could tell that I was wearing pajama bottoms underneath.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/31/12 at 9:56 pm

Those clothes look pretty cool to me. ;)

They cost a fortune on a grocery clerk's salary.  On top of that, they were uncomfortable as hell, but no worries 'cos they fell apart in a week!
::)

Layered hair with a perm. The perm was not my idea-I let someone talk me into it.  ::)  Because my hair was layered at one point, everyone who worked on my hair thought it SHOULD be layered and they kept layering it. It took FOREVER for my hair to grow out-now it is how I like it-long with bangs-which is basically a 60s/70s style but I don't care. The funny thing is, it is now coming back in fashion.

Cat

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/sep2008/3/8/50F32274-E9CE-F026-6925CF1E42F1F3C8.jpg

I remember that fad. When I was eleven years old (around 2002-2003), I spiked my hair all up and wore an unbuttoned shirt with a tank top underneath, and a gold chain to top it all off.

About a year later, I wore several chains around my neck at once. My dad called me "Mr. T" because of that.

When I was about fourteen and fifteen, I briefly wore a loop earring in my left ear.

Finally, at age seventeen, I wore pajama bottoms underneath my jeans several times to school. What's worse is that my jeans had holes in them, so people could tell that I was wearing pajama bottoms underneath.

Junior high is the most awkward of teenage years.  You see the cool dudes on MTV, but when YOU go to school dressed like THAT the other kids laugh at you!  The one time I grew my hair shaggy my dad called me a "1974 unisex f@g."  I found this odd coming from a guy who was at the vanguard of the hippie movement in the sixties.  He wanted me to get it cut for his and my stepmom's wedding.  I relented and went to Ted the barber down on the Oval.  I still laugh about the "1974 unisex f@g" remark.  There was nothing more gauche in the early eighties!
:D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/12 at 11:03 am

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/sep2008/3/8/50F32274-E9CE-F026-6925CF1E42F1F3C8.jpg

Yeah, feathered hair was all the rage in the '70s, but my hair would NEVER feather. Besides, it took WAY too much work-and still didn't look right.

Even earlier, I liked the "flip" (Think "That Girl") but could never get my hair to do that, either. Little did I know for either one of those hairstyles, you need at least a can of hairspray for it to last a day-and I detest hairspray.  8-P

Cat

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/01/12 at 11:39 am

Permed hair, I have photos that look like I stuck my finger in a socket!!

I sort of kept up with fashion so I never stuck out for looking weird but looking back a pictures can be brutal!  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/02/12 at 5:49 pm

Yeah, feathered hair was all the rage in the '70s, but my hair would NEVER feather. Besides, it took WAY too much work-and still didn't look right.

Even earlier, I liked the "flip" (Think "That Girl") but could never get my hair to do that, either. Little did I know for either one of those hairstyles, you need at least a can of hairspray for it to last a day-and I detest hairspray.  8-P

I used to douse my hair with hairspray to get that spiky punk/new wave look.  That was when you could get those cheap aerosol bottles of Aqua-Net for $0.99.  You could almost hear the ozone layer cracking!

http://southernsugarbaby.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/aqua-net-pic.jpg
http://media.digitalphotogallery.com/fvwxvyxzsjud/images/d9ce1e88-eb67-437d-8135-4779a6248cf4/john_lydon01_website_image_dywf_wuxga.jpg?20110306091609

Check for new replies or respond here...