inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Older parents/relatives = more retro?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/22/12 at 8:56 am

I've casually mentioned this in some other threads but thought it deserved its own. :)

I was wondering if having older than usual relatives makes you appreciate history/the past/old school pop culture more, just from naturally being exposed to more as a kid? Every one of my grandparents immigrated to the US as well, and I feel like that sorta ties me to the earlier 20th Century.

My mom is about the "standard" age for me being born in 1954, but I have an older dad born in 1938. Both of them were into pop culture and more youthful than many others their ages. I grew up around 50s/60s/70s music because of my dad (although he still liked quite a bit of 80s music too, and mom was WAY into it almost like a teen would be) and just naturally hearing more about those days in various aspects.

On that side, I had an even older grandma born in 1907, so I was closer to that era than most people my age. Even if my grandpa on that side died when I was only 3 and I very barely if at all remember him, I still heard alot of stories about him from my dad, grandma (before she died in '89) or other relatives. My uncle (who I'm very close to) is like my grandpa because of his age too.

So I obviously have a way different and more diverse perspective than someone who had a high school aged mom, and their grandparents are only like 50 when they're teens.  ;D

Subject: Re: Older parents/relatives = more retro?

Written By: lorac61469 on 03/28/12 at 3:57 pm

My parents were not into pop culture, didn't listen to a lot of music in the house, and I barely knew my grandparent but Im thinking about my kids...

I think I'm one the older moms at my kids' school, most of them seem like kids to me.  My kids are exposed to music from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.  Mostly the 70's and 80's.  They know popular movies from the 70's and 80's.  I show them photographs of things (fashions, telephones, appliances, famous people, etc..) from all eras.  They watch videos on YouTube of old shows, music, movie etc..  I want them to know all kinds of useless stuff just like me.  ;D

Sometimes I'll be talking to younger moms and they have no clue what I'm talking about, it gets frustrating.

Subject: Re: Older parents/relatives = more retro?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/31/12 at 7:24 pm

My parents were not into pop culture, didn't listen to a lot of music in the house, and I barely knew my grandparent but Im thinking about my kids...

I think I'm one the older moms at my kids' school, most of them seem like kids to me.  My kids are exposed to music from the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's.  Mostly the 70's and 80's.  They know popular movies from the 70's and 80's.  I show them photographs of things (fashions, telephones, appliances, famous people, etc..) from all eras.  They watch videos on YouTube of old shows, music, movie etc..  I want them to know all kinds of useless stuff just like me.  ;D

Sometimes I'll be talking to younger moms and they have no clue what I'm talking about, it gets frustrating.

Oh that's cool its working the other direction with your kids. I imagine that makes them more open-minded too (just like I was) growing up with your stuff.

I can relate. Sometimes even people from my own generation make me feel old/like I don't fit in. Probably for the same reasons you were talking about. I didn't realize it at the time, but all that stuff kinda made me an old soul to an extent, even as a kid.

For instance, I bet there's 35 year olds who might not give a sh** about The Beatles. Like the 90s gangstas who have their own elementary or even HS kids today.

Check for new replies or respond here...