inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Beatles fans in their 30s & 40s less common?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/31/12 at 8:13 pm

I was just talking to this chick who's 34 who, while she doesn't hate or dislike them, she's just not a fan or anything. I've noticed that before with people around my age. Personally I grew up with my parents playing them all the time (right along with the modern stuff in the 80s of course), so I have a soft spot for them (especially Sgt. Pepper's and The White Album), but I wonder if that's rare?

There's obviously the original 50-70 year old fans who were kids, teens, or young adults when they were around. There also seem to be tons of modern kids/teens who love them, because of Rock Band or just YouTube and stuff (modern internet culture makes it way easier to find old stuff).

They're legends, so of course there's fans of all ages, but it generally seems like in-between people who grew up in the 80s/90s don't relate to them as much. Some kids at school or a couple childhood friends liked them, but just as many (if not more) thought they were lame too.

I think when that 1 compilation came out in 2000, that started a new generation getting into them.

Subject: Re: Are Beatles fans in their 20s, 30s and 40s less common?

Written By: Brian06 on 03/31/12 at 8:18 pm

I know quite a few people that like them from all age groups, obviously not everybody does but for a 50 year old band their fan base is incredible. I like the Beatles and I'm 24 (almost 25). They're probably the most important band in pop music history so I really appreciate what they've done. I don't know if they're the absolute greatest of all time, that's such a loaded question, but they are pretty amazing!

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/31/12 at 8:29 pm

I know quite a few people that like them from all age groups, obviously not everybody does but for a 50 year old band their fan base is incredible. I like the Beatles and I'm 24 (almost 25). They're probably the most important band in pop music history so I really appreciate what they've done. I don't know if they're the absolute greatest of all time, that's such a loaded question, but they are pretty amazing!

For sure dude. Actually if 1 is what made more of a new generation get into them, I should've based just said 30s/40s. I think most people, even if they're not fans, could at least appreciate all the ways they changed music and how diverse/groundbreaking they are.

I do think its come full circle though, and I was probably an exception (along with the other old school people of my time) compared to the typical kids:

4 year old me in 1985 (in my own way): hey this is really cool, I like how this sounds!

13 year old of the 80s/90s: eww this is so old!

13 year old of the 2010s (judging from what I've seen on YT): I was born in the wrong time, my generation sucks!

Written By: Brian06 on 03/31/12 at 8:37 pm

For sure dude. Actually if 1 is what made more of a new generation get into them, I should've based just said 30s/40s. I think most people, even if they're not fans, could at least appreciate all the ways they changed music and how diverse/groundbreaking they are.

I do think its come full circle though, and I was probably an exception (along with the other old school people of my time) compared to the typical kids:

4 year old me in 1985 (in my own way): hey this is really cool, I like how this sounds!

13 year old of the 80s/90s: eww this is so old!

13 year old of the 2010s (judging from what I've seen on YT): I was born in the wrong time, my generation sucks!

I personally think they're pretty timeless, of course not everybody likes them but many people of all ages do. I would think the Beatles probably have one of the most diverse fan bases of all musicians due to their broad appeal.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/12 at 9:01 pm

The Beatles and Simon & Garfunkel seem to gain new fans all the time.  I see lots of college students around who love the Beatles and S&G.  It's music that lasts!

Written By: Emman on 03/31/12 at 9:13 pm

When I was a teenager I really didn't listen to much old music beyond 5-7 years(this was around '98-'04), but since my early twenties I've gotten much more into music from the '60s, '70s, '80s, and early '90s. The Beatles have such a broad appeal because Paul McCartney especially was a fantastic songwriter plus their innovations in music production gives them cred from the music critics.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/31/12 at 9:15 pm

When I was a teenager I really didn't listen to much old music beyond 5-7 years(this was around '98-'04), but since my early twenties I've gotten much more into music from the '60s, '70s, '80s, and early '90s. The Beatles have such a broad appeal because Paul McCartney especially was a fantastic songwriter plus their innovations in music production gives them cred from the music critics.

Yeah for me it was gradual, but I do remember when I was 17-18 I started broadening my musical horizons and have progressively gotten into more and more music over the years.

Written By: whistledog on 03/31/12 at 9:29 pm

As Paul McCartney said at the Grammy Awards a few years ago ...
"I know what you're thinking .. it's that  guy from Rock Band"

The Beatles have always been popular among all ages as Beatles songs are used alot in movies, and TV shows, and even in other songs. 

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 04/05/12 at 5:23 pm

As Paul McCartney said at the Grammy Awards a few years ago ...
"I know what you're thinking .. it's that  guy from Rock Band"

The Beatles have always been popular among all ages as Beatles songs are used alot in movies, and TV shows, and even in other songs.

Definitely agree. I think it took a total mass media we have now to truly make The Beatles "cool" again, since their music is exposed to everyone so easily in the last 5 years. That really took them out of the "eww its just some old band my parents listen to" trap some kids felt about them during the 80s/90s.

I just thought too.. my parents and I had some family friends in the 80s, and I was especially close to their oldest daughter (who's my age) and she loved The Beatles too. We were like 7 or 8 the last time we saw each other though (and little kids are surprisingly more chill about that and less judgemental than teens are), so who knows if she changed her mind once she got into middle school or high school years later?

Subject: Re: Are Beatles fans in their 30s & 40s less common?

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/12 at 6:57 pm

It doesn't really take much for Beatles songs to be re-popularized.  In 1986, Matthew Broderick lip-synched 'Twist and Shout' back into the Top 40
Plus, all these Beatles cover songs that are out there, also get people to listen to the original.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/05/12 at 9:26 pm

Less common than what?  Flying purple monkeys?
::)

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 04/06/12 at 7:23 pm

It doesn't really take much for Beatles songs to be re-popularized.  In 1986, Matthew Broderick lip-synched 'Twist and Shout' back into the Top 40
Plus, all these Beatles cover songs that are out there, also get people to listen to the original.

D'oh, I forgot about that (and it's one of my favorite movies). :) Yeah, I bet if YouTube was around then, you'd get tons of young people praising it or discovering them because of Ferris. Maybe that stuff still happened but wasn't as noticeable before, since we didn't have internet or a mass media?

Less common than what?  Flying purple monkeys?
::)

;D

Ah, its just a pet peeve with people about my age I guess (or a little older). I know you can't stereotype based on a few isolated experiences, but I had a buddy of mine once tell me he "can't relate" to them, and I'm thinking dude they made timeless music, WTF? Even if he wasn't a fan per se, he should at least respect their place in music history and all their innovation.

or...

I was watching Howard Stern's stripper jeopardy ( ;D) on his TV show once in about 2001, and the chicks on were probably early 20s (so about my age). A question came up, "This legendary band's nickname was The Fab Four" and nobody got it. When Howard told them it was the Beatles, one of them just blew it off and went "its before my time". That annoyed me she was such a brat moron, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were just as many people like that than there are fans.

Check for new replies or respond here...