inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How Old Is Too Old For Dolls?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/07/12 at 4:34 pm

Hey Y'all.

I need a little help. I'm starting work on a story and one of the characters is a 10 year old girl. What I want to know is, is that character too old to still play with dolls are not. When I was 10, I did play with Barbies and a whole bunch of dolls. But is it too old?

Thanks.

Subject: Re: How Old Is Too Old For Dolls?

Written By: wildcard on 04/07/12 at 4:40 pm

I don't think so.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/07/12 at 7:23 pm

Ten was the height of my sister's Barbie phase!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/08/12 at 2:20 am

I think I was a little younger when I stopped playing with them.  But then, I had Nintendo to distract me too.  :D

Written By: danootaandme on 04/08/12 at 3:40 am

It depends on what level of play.  You are never to old to talk to your dolls, but a ten year old is past the tea party stage.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/08/12 at 11:12 am

My sister is in her 50s and she still plays with them (and writes books about them and sells them, etc. etc.)  ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: wildcard on 04/08/12 at 4:47 pm

I think I was a little younger when I stopped playing with them.  But then, I had Nintendo to distract me too.  :D

Same problem here with the Nintendo.  I then got stuck doing the Mario and later when the Mario beanies came out and  the Mario cartoons too, My brothers and I played Mario Bros and kart with the dolls. Depends on what your doing with the dolls.  In my case, I was playing with my brothers.  I still have my Wario on my computer cart.   

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/09/12 at 3:48 pm

I played Barbies at 10, but I was out of the doll phase.  I think that probably ends about 7 or 8.  But all kids are different.  I don't see anything wrong with a 10 year old playing with a doll.

Written By: Mat1991 on 04/10/12 at 7:06 pm

I don't think you're ever too old for dolls. A lot of people of all ages enjoy collecting dolls of various types. I personally would love to own a Victorian dollhouse complete with dolls.

Written By: whistledog on 04/10/12 at 8:03 pm

I've heard of guys in their middle ages playing with dolls, but that's a conversation for an X-rated message board LOL

Written By: Jessica on 04/10/12 at 10:07 pm

LMxTFqPET5I

Written By: wildcard on 04/10/12 at 11:01 pm

beat me to it Jessica

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/11/12 at 11:57 pm

beat me to it Jessica

And spared us all from having to see me post this tribute to Spaceballs :)

But to get serious, nerdcore rapper MC Chris's April Fool's Day joke was my serious answer: nobody can tell anybody what toys they can play with!  (NSFW audio due to naughty words, NSFSanity video, NSFAuthoritarians political message, and MP3 available from artist's site), and now I have to enlist everyone's help in trolling every Travonites vs. Zimmermaniacs thread with his epic 2008 Hoodie Ninja.  Ah, the night is young!

Anyways.

Yeah.  What Jessica said.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/12/12 at 12:07 am

What's funny is that I have a Zorua(Pokemon) and a Slime(Dragon Quest) plush, I sometimes make them dance to music videos.

So, there is never a too old!

Written By: Inertia on 04/15/12 at 5:52 am

Maturity varies between people but I think you're too old for dolls when you can't play with them without having the average person look at you like you're daft in the head.

However, I guess if you're really passionate about it then it's your own prerogative.

Written By: tnf on 04/16/12 at 1:00 am

Maybe it's different in America. But here in The Netherlands, very few girls play with dolls anymore at the age of 10, except an occasional Bratz doll or something similar. Besides Bratz like stuff, it mostly ends when girls are about 9 years old.

O.k., many years later, some adults start collecting dolls again, but that's something different. :)

When I was 10, in the early 90s, it was another story. I played with Barbie dolls till the age of 11/12, and other girls also did. But times have changed.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/24/12 at 11:18 pm

LMxTFqPET5I

That's the second time someone here has demonstrated posession of a time machine at least a week before the episode airs:

http://chzbronies.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony-spike-is-a-brony.gif

Actual screencap from last weekend's season finale.  Season 2, Epsiode 25, at 11 minutes 15 seconds.

Check for new replies or respond here...