inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why do The Beatles keep making comebacks?

Written By: I'm not that loser Donnie on 04/15/12 at 3:24 pm

The Beatles may have broken up in 1970, but they've had many comebacks ever since.

In the 1980's. "Twist and Shout" became a hit again after its use in a successful movie.

In the 90's, the Anthology Series and The "Threetles" reared its head.

In the 00's, 1 was released (George's death may have had something to do with its success), the entire catalog was remastered, nd they got their own video game.

Why do The Beatles keep making comebacks?

Subject: Re: Why do The Beatles keep making comebacks?

Written By: whistledog on 04/15/12 at 7:54 pm

Why do The Beatles keep making comebacks?

Why do you keep coming back?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/15/12 at 9:49 pm

http://garnaw.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/181148-triple_facepalm_super.jpg

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/15/12 at 10:00 pm

They never went away.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/15/12 at 11:24 pm

They never went away.

Unlike Donnie.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/16/12 at 10:42 am

Unlike Donnie.

Don't you mean "JUST like Donnie?"  ;)

Written By: Guest on 04/30/12 at 5:27 pm

I don't know, I guess they wrote their songs in a way that was so popular it managed to get 3/4 generations hoocked. That and the fact that 90% of their material is family friendly allows exposure at a young age.

This is all a guess. What do you guys think?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/30/12 at 5:58 pm

I don't know, I guess they wrote their songs in a way that was so popular it managed to get 3/4 generations hoocked. That and the fact that 90% of their material is family friendly allows exposure at a young age.

This is all a guess. What do you guys think?

Honestly, I've sometimes wondered how the Beatles will be perceived in the future, particularly in academic circles. In 100-200 years from now, will Lennon-McCarthy be held in the same kind of esteem that such composers as Bach, Beethoven, Mozart and Tchaikovsky are today? And in 400-500 years, will their music be considered as iconic and timeless as the works of William Shakespeare are now?

I've also wondered about how many musicians and musical groups there have been throughout history (particularly in the classical Greek and Roman eras) who possessed musical talent equal to or even greater than that of the Beatles but were lost in the past because of the lack of means to record them.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/12 at 7:20 pm

I thought it was The Beatles's Sons that were making comebacks.

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/12 at 8:13 pm

They could record a benefit song:  'We Are the Beatles Kids' by Julian Lennon, Sean Lennon, Stella McCartney, Mary McCartney, James McCartney, Dhani Harrison, Zak Starkey, Jason Starkey and Lee Starr

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 04/30/12 at 8:22 pm

Why do you keep coming back?

Mahahahahaahahahahahaahahaha :D ;D

Written By: Henk on 05/01/12 at 5:29 am

The Beatles may have broken up in 1970, but they've had many comebacks ever since.

Errm... No they haven't. In fact, they couldn't, even if they wanted to. Two of them are dead, remember?

Errm... No they don't. In fact, they can't, because that would suggest they had (something of) a career TOGETHER - which they never had.

They could record a benefit song:  'We Are the Beatles Kids' by Julian Lennon, Sean Lennon, Stella McCartney, Mary McCartney, James McCartney, Dhani Harrison, Zak Starkey, Jason Starkey and Lee Starr

Howard's not entirely wrong, though. I've heard/read about a possible Lennon Jr/McCartney Jr/Harrison Jr/Starkey Jr cooperation (I think it was Julian, James, Dhani and Jason).

Written By: danootaandme on 05/01/12 at 6:04 am

You can't comeback if you have never left.  The Beatles, in different forms and configurations, separate and together, have always been around. 

Written By: Howard on 05/01/12 at 6:51 am

I read that in a magazine somewhere.

Written By: danootaandme on 05/01/12 at 12:50 pm

I read that in a magazine somewhere.

It was McCartneys kids' idea. James Mc thought maybe him, Dhani Harrison, Sean Lennon, and Zak Starkey.  Zak plays for the for a lot of Bands, I guess right now he is with the Who.  Julian was asked and said no.  It was a bad idea by a kid who has nothing going for him but his dads coattails.  The idea died in committee.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/01/12 at 4:47 pm

It was McCartneys kids' idea. James Mc thought maybe him, Dhani Harrison, Sean Lennon, and Zak Starkey.  Zak plays for the for a lot of Bands, I guess right now he is with the Who.  Julian was asked and said no.  It was a bad idea by a kid who has nothing going for him but his dads coattails.  The idea died in committee.

Thank God. This reminds me of the stupid trend The Muppet Babies (although a decent cartoon itself) started in the 90's, where they'd take all these classic cartoons and remake them with the main (previously teen-aged or adult) characters as children, i.e. The Flintstone Kids and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.

I was really worried that The Beatles Kids concept would gain traction and inspire other sons and daughters of famous band members to join up and collaborate on similar projects, none of which, in all likelihood, would have been any good. I mean, I really wasn't looking forward to seeing Herman's Hermits' Kids.  8-P

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/01/12 at 10:56 pm

Aww, I kinda liked, A Pup Named Scooby Doo!!  :D

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/01/12 at 11:02 pm

Format-shifting.

RIAA got your parents to buy The White Album on vinyl, 8-track, cassette, CD, (maybe) DAT, (maybe) MiniDisc, remastered on CD, and (unlikely but possible, SACD), and (probably) on iTunes with DRM, (maybe) iTunes without DRM, and (i just checked) it looks like it still hasn't been released in non-DRM-encumbered MP3 from Amazon.  I wonder how many defunct (Real's Rhapsody? Microsoft's PlaysForSure?)

Or you could have just ripped your CD to MP3 (or lossless .WAV or .flac) 20+ years ago and been done with format-shifting for the rest of your life.

Written By: Henk on 05/02/12 at 2:30 am

Thank God. This reminds me of the stupid trend The Muppet Babies (although a decent cartoon itself) started in the 90's, where they'd take all these classic cartoons and remake them with the main (previously teen-aged or adult) characters as children, i.e. The Flintstone Kids and A Pup Named Scooby-Doo.

I was really worried that The Beatles Kids concept would gain traction and inspire other sons and daughters of famous band members to join up and collaborate on similar projects, none of which, in all likelihood, would have been any good. I mean, I really wasn't looking forward to seeing Herman's Hermits' Kids.  8-P

Well, there's always Wilson Phillips. If not for their vocal qualities, you might just like 'em for their looks. ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/02/12 at 5:44 pm

Well, there's always Wilson Phillips. If not for their vocal qualities, you might just like 'em for their looks. ;)

Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/02/12 at 6:33 pm

:-\\

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/02/12 at 6:43 pm

:-\\

That one go a little too far?

Sorry.  :(

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/02/12 at 6:52 pm

That one go a little too far?

Sorry.  :(

I just wasn't sure what you meant by that.

I think Carnie and the Phillips girl are the prettiest, personally.  But they are all 3 beautiful women.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/02/12 at 9:43 pm

I just wasn't sure what you meant by that.

I think Carnie and the Phillips girl are the prettiest, personally.  But they are all 3 beautiful women.

I agree Ash, leave it up to everybody to make snarky comments about the "bigger" one.  ::) I think Carnie is a beautiful girl, IMO.

Carnie, not at her heaviest, but definitely not thin either:
http://www.beautystylewatch.com/beautystylewatch/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/89a14fac6acc3efe_carnie-wilson.jpg

ALL 3 girls are pretty!!
http://api.ning.com/files/1qy5VaICmoGvcN4Fd0T6Gr-qOXpUVWfQOLglRtNBxKBt905zHdTfOJT9i5FOXgcYd5F*qyoWxpFIFOfrcS1RSVEwV8ydFRzh/wilsonphillips2.jpg

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/04/12 at 12:09 am

"What the hell does Meat Loaf have to do with it?", he asked, innocently?

Check for new replies or respond here...