inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Movies That You SHOULD have Seen By Now…

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/11/12 at 1:31 am

There are films that everyone knows, and everyone has seen. Well, at least movies that everyone ASSUMES everyone have seen...
but we haven't.

I'm talking about blockbusters, comic standards or society's iconic silver screen benchmarks, classic movies that we use to define our current social setting that everyone has supposed to have seen and understand.

The ones we’d be embarrassed to say we haven’t seen, or even lied about having seen just to “fit in with the crowd”.

BUT despite the assumption, many (as myself) have missed out on many of the so called "must see" or
"must have seen" films. And we have our reasons.

These are mine....what are yours?

On the Waterfront - I coulda BEEN somebody, but I'm a bum, because I haven't seen this one already...
Breakfast at Tiffany's - Don't know why, I LIKE Audrey Hepburn, seen many of her films, just not this one.
Batman - Haven't seen ANY of them and don't ever care to.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I know the story, I know Paul Newman and Robert Redford are in it, just never saw it.
Eraserhead - The proverbial f’d up strange film, never got around to it.
Good Will Hunting - I know this is the film that "made" Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, but I don't care...
Men In Black - again like the others, never saw a reason to care for it or any of its sequels, and never will.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Haven't seen any of them, and will never care to, don't like, never liked RL Tolkien.
The Shining – Seen many “parts” of it but never the whole thing.
Schindler’s List - Don't know why other than it seems depressing, too real, and too depressing...
The Deer Hunter - I've seen the Russian roulette scene a hundred times, but never the whole film.
E.T. - I know, I know, but I just never thought it was a good idea and never saw it and NEVER will. If you put on E.T. now, I will leave the room...
The Lion King  - Ditto.
The Shawshank Redemption
ANY and ALL Harry Potter films - Never will see any of these.

Subject: Re: Movies That You SHOULD have Seen By Now…

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/11/12 at 3:49 am

One movie I've never actually sat down and watched all the way through (but have seen portions of), and that I regret never having done so, is It's a Wonderful Life. I just have never taken the time to watch the film all the way through. I would like to see it, but I don't desperately need to see it.

The Godfather series - It just doesn't look interesting to me.  :P

A Christmas Story - I have seen portions of it, but I've never watched the whole thing. It just never really struck me as something I should see in my lifetime.

Dr. Strangelove - I don't even know what this movie is about, and yet I hear people rave about it all the time.

Austin Powers series (except Goldmember) - I'll pass.

James Bond series - Again, I'll pass. It doesn't look interesting to me.

There are plenty more, but I don't feel like delving into that at the moment.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/11/12 at 6:40 am

I have never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's also considered a cult classic but I've never gotten around to watching it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/11/12 at 1:04 pm

I have never seen any of the Lord Of The Rings movies.

Written By: snozberries on 05/11/12 at 1:10 pm

to whomever corrected the title...thank you!  :D

This topic has been done twice before but I'm too lazy to find them so I'll just say, again,

I have never seen:

The Sound of Music
The Lord of the Rings

personally I think Casablanca and Gone with the Wind are WAY overrated.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/11/12 at 2:10 pm

I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies.

Schindler's List for the same reason Gumbypiz listed. 
Butch Cassidy
The Deer Hunter
Good Will Hunting
Gone With the Wind

Also to Gumbypiz - don't bother watching Breakfast at Tiffanys - it sucks.  Jerry Lewis plays her Asian landlord and is so incredibly racist and offensive in his portrayl that it's the only thing I can even think about. 

I highly reccommend the Shawshank Redemption though.  It's one of my all time favorites.

Written By: Lost is Lafayette on 05/11/12 at 2:59 pm

Star Wars
Jurassic Park
The wizard of Oz
Casablanca
Gone with the wind
Grease
Repo man
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Blazing saddles
Kramer Vs Kramer

Written By: whistledog on 05/11/12 at 3:05 pm

I never saw Avatar.  From the trailer, it looked like Dances With Smurfs, and speaking of that, I never saw Dances With Wolves either because it looked boring!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/12 at 3:16 pm

I never saw Avatar.  From the trailer, it looked like Dances With Smurfs, and speaking of that...
Keep it that way!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/11/12 at 4:22 pm

I never saw Avatar.  From the trailer, it looked like Dances With Smurfs, and speaking of that, I never saw Dances With Wolves either because it looked boring!

I've seen bits and pieces of Avatar and was not at all interested.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/11/12 at 4:26 pm

I've seen bits and pieces of Avatar and was not at all interested.
I saw it in 3D and it made it three times as worse for me.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/11/12 at 4:39 pm

Any James Bond

Twilight

Harry Pothead Potter

Lord Of The Rings trilogy

Any of the new Star Wars.  To me it  the first three are the only ones.

Written By: snozberries on 05/11/12 at 4:50 pm

Any James Bond

Twilight

Harry Pothead Potter

you're seriously missing out on the Harry Potter thing....seriously!!!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/11/12 at 5:19 pm

you're seriously missing out on the Harry Potter thing....seriously!!!

I totally agree.  But read the books first!  They are phenomenal.

I was totally resistant to HP at first, but then my sister gave my mom the books for Christmas one year and I happened to pick one up and look through it...and that was it.  I was down the rabbit hole.

I've been sick, plus I have the house to myself this week and I've been having myself a little Harry Potter movie marathon.  Finished the 6th movie last night and will try to watch the 7's tonight or tomorrow.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 05/11/12 at 5:24 pm

I totally agree.  But read the books first!  They are phenomenal.

I was totally resistant to HP at first, but then my sister gave my mom the books for Christmas one year and I happened to pick one up and look through it...and that was it.  I was down the rabbit hole.

I've been sick, plus I have the house to myself this week and I've been having myself a little Harry Potter movie marathon.  Finished the 6th movie last night and will try to watch the 7's tonight or tomorrow.  :)

yeah once I started the books I couldn't start... I want to reread them but I know I will do it back to back to back to back to back to back to back so I need to figure out when I can possibly get two free weeks to do this!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/12/12 at 12:06 am

Any James Bond

Twilight

Harry Pothead Potter

I've never seen any of the Harry Potter movies, either.

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/12/12 at 2:43 am

I've seen all the Harry Potter movies except the two-part finale.

Other movies I've never seen are:

Fantasia - It's high on my list of movies I want to see eventually, though.

The Friday the 13th series - I've had my fill of slasher flicks, so I don't have to watch this series to know what happens  :P

E.T. - I've never really had the opportunity to see it. I wouldn't mind seeing it in the future, though.

The Silence of the Lambs

Written By: loki 13 on 05/12/12 at 12:47 pm

I have never seen The Rocky Horror Picture Show. It's also considered a cult classic but I've never gotten around to watching it.

Unless you can see it in a theater with audience participation don't bother. The movie itself is horrible but with the added dialog
from an audience it is an experience. A room full of people who have seen it and can shout out lines is okay but it is the theater
experience that makes this movie special and tolerable.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/13/12 at 12:26 am

Unless you can see it in a theater with audience participation don't bother. The movie itself is horrible but with the added dialog
from an audience it is an experience. A room full of people who have seen it and can shout out lines is okay but it is the theater

What he said.  A room full can work - but it needs to be a decently large room, with at least 10-20 people, at least 5 of which know different sets of lines, otherwise it's just a few people getting together and one or two of them heckling the screen.

Here's a cellphone recording of the events in a small theater:

h-u0ojAiZg0

That can be fun, and it can be funny bordering on the hysterical, but don't go there expecting to see the movie; the movie is immaterial, and you won't even remember the movie.  To summarize the plot, two innocent newlyweds find themselves in the lair of a transvestite alien from Transsexual, Transylvania, things get a little weird, and there's some sex, some cannibalism, a floorshow, a few people get shot, and the survivors leave.  Oh, and it's a musical.  If that sounds pretty bad, you've got the right idea, but remember what I said up there?  Right.  Nobody goes there for the movie.  You won't even remember the movie. 

Rocky Horror Picture Show is still playing at a theater near you.

A newspaper, a flashlight, some cards (for sorrow, cards for pain...) are almost always safe to bring, even for virgins (Virgin, n: "Someone who has not seen RHPS in a theater with a live cast") and welcome at almost every theater.  Leave your prejudices, your sanity, your sense of decency, at the door, and marvel at what memes were like before they had the Internet to propagate.

And you get to see Susan Sarandon's boobs as they were in 1975.  What red-blooded American could turn down an opportunity like that? 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/13/12 at 11:32 am

I've often heard that and I would like to experience that sometime, it sounds like it would be fun.

Written By: whistledog on 05/13/12 at 4:04 pm

I've often heard that and I would like to experience that sometime, it sounds like it would be fun.

There was an episode of The Drew Carey Show where they went to a showing of it and got in a dance battle with fans of 'Priscilla: Queen of the Desert'.  Fans of Rocky Horror do go all out at the showings of it

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/16/12 at 10:50 pm

It sounds like you're positively shivering with with antici...

v16KFXa2njo

SAY IT!

...pation!

(If you do nothing else, listen to the Audience Participation Album, and while you'll still be a virgin, you'll at least have had just the tip of what to expect.)

Written By: meesa on 05/24/12 at 9:34 am

I should probably be ashamed at how many times I have seen this one.  ;D

Written By: meesa on 05/24/12 at 1:14 pm

12 Angry Men
Apocolypse Now
Fight Club
Scarface
A Clockwork Orange
The Godfathers

All of these have been recommended to me at one time or another by friends, and I just haven't had the opportunity yet. Has anyone seen these, are they worth watching, to you?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/24/12 at 2:06 pm

12 Angry Men
Apocolypse Now
Fight Club
Scarface
A Clockwork Orange
The Godfathers

All of these have been recommended to me at one time or another by friends, and I just haven't had the opportunity yet. Has anyone seen these, are they worth watching, to you?

Ha ha, I've never seen any of those either!

Written By: snozberries on 05/24/12 at 2:08 pm

Ha ha, I've never seen any of those either!

Ash....as your friend... I command you to see 12 Angry Men.  The original!!!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/24/12 at 2:09 pm

Ash....as your friend... I command you to see 12 Angry Men.  The original!!!

Ok.

It isn't that I don't want to see it...I've just never gotten around to it...

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/12 at 7:38 pm

12 Angry Men

You never saw that movie?  Perhaps that's why they are angry :P :D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/24/12 at 7:40 pm

12 Angry Men
Apocolypse Now
Fight Club
Scarface
A Clockwork Orange
The Godfathers

The Godfather is the sh!t.

The Godfather II is even better than the original.

Never seen the third one but by all accounts it should be avoided.  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/12 at 11:59 am

The Godfather is the sh!t.

The Godfather II is even better than the original.

Never seen the third one but by all accounts it should be avoided.  :P
Thanks for the warning, we have it ready for watching.

Written By: Paul on 05/27/12 at 12:01 pm

Hand on heart, I have probably sat through no more than a dozen films in my lifetime!

(And that was probably under duress!)

I couldn't care if people say I'm missing out on the classics or not, film just does not interest me...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/15 at 7:58 am

There are films that everyone knows, and everyone has seen. Well, at least movies that everyone ASSUMES everyone have seen...
but we haven't.

I'm talking about blockbusters, comic standards or society's iconic silver screen benchmarks, classic movies that we use to define our current social setting that everyone has supposed to have seen and understand.

The ones we’d be embarrassed to say we haven’t seen, or even lied about having seen just to “fit in with the crowd”.

BUT despite the assumption, many (as myself) have missed out on many of the so called "must see" or
"must have seen" films. And we have our reasons.

These are mine....what are yours?

On the Waterfront - I coulda BEEN somebody, but I'm a bum, because I haven't seen this one already...
Breakfast at Tiffany's - Don't know why, I LIKE Audrey Hepburn, seen many of her films, just not this one.
Batman - Haven't seen ANY of them and don't ever care to.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - I know the story, I know Paul Newman and Robert Redford are in it, just never saw it.
Eraserhead - The proverbial f’d up strange film, never got around to it.
Good Will Hunting - I know this is the film that "made" Ben Affleck and Matt Damon, but I don't care...
Men In Black - again like the others, never saw a reason to care for it or any of its sequels, and never will.
Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Haven't seen any of them, and will never care to, don't like, never liked RL Tolkien.
The Shining – Seen many “parts” of it but never the whole thing.
Schindler’s List - Don't know why other than it seems depressing, too real, and too depressing...
The Deer Hunter - I've seen the Russian roulette scene a hundred times, but never the whole film.
E.T. - I know, I know, but I just never thought it was a good idea and never saw it and NEVER will. If you put on E.T. now, I will leave the room...
The Lion King  - Ditto.
The Shawshank Redemption
ANY and ALL Harry Potter films - Never will see any of these.

I am waiting to slot the time in for LOTR, and still not bothering with Harry Potter.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/15 at 11:10 am

I am waiting to slot the time in for LOTR, and still not bothering with Harry Potter.
Now the same with The Hobbit movies.

Written By: Redhairkid on 03/25/15 at 11:12 am

I have never seen the Lord Of The Rings or Star Wars films because I am just not into them. The same with most films really. I'm just not a movie buff. Then there are films I will never watch because I don't like someone in it such as the most recent James Bond ones (I hate Daniel Craig) or any film starring Brad Pitt, Russell Crowe, Ryan Gosling, Gwyneth Paltrow, Angelina Jolie or Kate Winslet.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/25/15 at 11:15 am

12 Angry Men

The Godfathers

12 Angry Men I do wish to see again.

I have now seen The Godfathers, like them, but still too long.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/15 at 6:01 am

I see need to see the Oscar winning films, Still Alice, Birdman and Whiplash.

Written By: Redhairkid on 03/28/15 at 7:48 am

An actor I dislike is in 'Birdman'.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/15 at 8:28 am

An actor I dislike is in 'Birdman'.
Personally speaking, I will still watch a movie which stars an actor I am not fond of.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/28/15 at 6:06 pm

12 Angry Men I do wish to see again.

I have now seen The Godfathers, like them, but still too long.

There is also a Russian remake of 12 Angry Men (simply called "12") and we thought it was pretty good, as I recall.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/15 at 6:14 pm

Personally speaking, I will still watch a movie which stars an actor I am not fond of.

same here, If I watch a film with an actor I might not like I will watch it and hoping it's good.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/15 at 6:52 pm

I tried Dances with wolves, I tried, I just can't, I just can't...

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/28/15 at 6:56 pm

Pulp Fiction

To kill a mockingbird

I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of them.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/15 at 6:57 pm

The 1989 Batman movie, I don't get it, the rest are fine to me though.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/15 at 7:05 pm

To a certain extent 1991's The Silence of the Lambs is overrated, to some extent, not.

I think the dialogue and writing is genius, but the pace of the movie isn't for everyone.

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/15 at 8:00 pm

To a certain extent 1991's The Silence of the Lambs is overrated, to some extent, not.

I think the dialogue and writing is genius, but the pace of the movie isn't for everyone.

In 1991 it was well paced... but pacing has changed drastically since then.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/28/15 at 8:04 pm

Haven't seen any of the Spiderman movies.  Nor neither of the Incredible Hulk movies. There were a few Superman movies I've not seen.  A couple of Batman ones.

I'm really not a big fan of super hero movies apparently.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/15 at 8:29 pm

In 1991 it was well paced... but pacing has changed drastically since then.

I like horror movies and shows in general, so I think the atmosphere helped make me like the film, even if I was only 12 when I saw it. I was too young to get all the metaphors and innuendoes but ending was pretty good to me, it's even better to me now that I understand the film better.

Written By: snozberries on 03/28/15 at 8:35 pm

I like horror movies and shows in general, so I think the atmosphere helped make me like the film, even if I was only 12 when I saw it. I was too young to get all the metaphors and innuendoes but ending was pretty good to me, it's even better to me now that I understand the film better.

well It's a thriller not a horror film.. there's a difference  :P 

but I get what you mean  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/28/15 at 9:47 pm

^ ^

;D  ;D  ;D

Written By: ralfy on 03/29/15 at 3:04 am

The Shining

The Exorcist

Written By: Redhairkid on 03/29/15 at 6:39 am

Fair play, Howard and Philip. But I just can't watch anyone of whom I am not enamoured, I don't feel comfortable. Especially if the actor in question is someone who is really up themselves such as Brad Pitt.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/15 at 7:39 am

There is also a Russian remake of 12 Angry Men (simply called "12") and we thought it was pretty good, as I recall.

I will watch out for that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/15 at 7:40 am

That is one film I should have seen by now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/15 at 7:42 am

Pulp Fiction

I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of them.
I am still missing out on many of QT's films.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/15 at 7:45 am

The Shining

The Exorcist

Two great horror films, Kubrick's only horror film, and The Exorcist, the best, for the effects are achieved in front of camera, long before CGI.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/15 at 7:46 am

Fair play, Howard and Philip. But I just can't watch anyone of whom I am not enamoured, I don't feel comfortable. Especially if the actor in question is someone who is really up themselves such as Brad Pitt.
Fair play, so you have never seen Ocean's 11?

Written By: Howard on 03/29/15 at 2:27 pm

You don't like the film?

Written By: Redhairkid on 03/30/15 at 7:06 am

Fair play, so you have never seen Ocean's 11?

Not at all, Philip.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/15 at 7:30 am

I finally got to see "Milk" today.

Written By: Redhairkid on 03/30/15 at 8:56 am

Great! Did you enjoy it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/15 at 9:42 am

Great! Did you enjoy it?
Do you mean "Milk", yes I did enjoyed it, the film was excellent and gave me an insight on American history I have only briefly heard of.

Written By: ralfy on 05/28/16 at 11:01 pm

"TCM & Fathom: 60th Anniversary of 'The Ten Commandments'"

http://www.classicmoviefavorites.com/60th-anniversary-the-ten-commandments/

Check for new replies or respond here...