inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The best advice an adult ever gave you when you were young.

Written By: sargentphilco on 05/28/12 at 1:07 pm

When I was in my early 20s, I decided on my own that it was better to own a home than rent one. So I was able to purchase one on an FHA loan. Then I realized I didnt have any furniture to put in it. So I went out looking for furniture and the merchants started licking their chops (Come to Papa). Anyway by the time it was all over, not only did I owe $32,000 for a house but several thousand dollars for furniture. Then came the utilities every month, maintainance now and then, plus I was planning on getting married in the next year or so. So then I needed to buy a second car. Well one day I was riding down the road in a very noisy truck with a much older guy that loved talking about money, business, politics, all the stuff that young guys didnt care anything about. Now this truck was very, very noisy. I couldnt understand a word he was saying so I just smiled and nodded my head a lot. Then suddenly the noise harmonics ( I guess ) got to a point where I could hear him well enough when he asked me what was my debt to income ratio. I told him that I had no idea. What he said next would reverberate through my mind untill this very day ( 30+yrs)  " You'd better be finding out! Aint nobody gonna do it for ya! If you end up broke its nobodys fault but your own!" I have no doubt in my mind that I was meant to hear that. And I have applied that simple but powerfull statement to my life in general. Every time Ive wanted to let something slide or just put something off indefinitely, I hear "Aint nobody gonna do it for ya"

Subject: Re: The best advice an adult ever gave you when you were young.

Written By: snozberries on 05/28/12 at 1:33 pm

you should check out this thread http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=46170.0 

your post would be perfect for it.

Check for new replies or respond here...