inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pre-Internet trolls

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/09/12 at 8:50 am

I was looking through my messages this morning and in one of them I related this to a couple of my friends here, and I thought it was kind of funny so I'll share it with you:

Trolls are nothing new. I saw this game being played almost 20 years ago, long before Al Gore (allegedly) invented the Internet.

When I made my first brief go-around at long distance trucking back in 1993, there were guys who would buy home CB radio base stations and harass the truck drivers and insult them or act gay and hit on them and stuff like that and the truckers would just eat it up hook, line, and sinker. The truck drivers would be cursing and yelling and threatening to kick their asses and the base station guys would just keep needling them because they knew there was no way that the truckers could ever find them. And even then I knew what the base station guys were really doing and some of them were funny as hell. These guys were very, very good at irritating people.

One of the funniest ones I remember was this guy I heard when I was heading west on I-80 in Illinois about 20-30 miles from the Mississippi River. It was probably around midnight, and he came on the CB in this crazy gravelly stoner voice, saying how he was barreling down the interstate in a tractor-trailer going 90 mph. "I gotta syringe here," he said loudly, "and it's full of heroin, crack, and LSD, and I'm getting ready to stick it in my arm." And then here come all the truckers, yelling  in their nasal Southern drawls: "You dumb sumbitch, you're gonna kill somebody!" "They need to get this guy off the road!" And it was just so obvious that this guy was completely full of it but the truckers had a complete lack of irony and they were just eating it up and getting madder and madder.

And then the stoner troll came back on. "I'm gonna stick it in now. Here goes:"

(pause)

And then he roared, "WHO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OA!!! like he was riding a rollercoaster and hanging on for dear life.  And I just lost it then and started laughing my ass off. I thought it was brilliant. And then here come the truckers again: "You crasy bastard, get off the road!" "Someone needs to call the State Patrol!" I even got on the CB and told the other truckers that he was completely full of sh*t, but they were all like, "You need to mind your own business" and stuff like that.

It's the exact same thing people do online today. Trolling is not a new thing, it's probably been around for at least as long as CB radios have been around, which is a good 40-50 years.

I'm wondering if there are other ways that people did spamming (besides junk mail, of course) or trolling before the Internet became commonplace.

Subject: Re: Pre-Internet trolls

Written By: snozberries on 06/09/12 at 2:20 pm

Prank phones calls could be another example.

Written By: Howard on 06/09/12 at 7:34 pm

Prank phones calls could be another example.

Our family got plenty of them back in the mid 80's.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/12 at 9:07 pm

I was looking through my messages this morning and in one of them I related this to a couple of my friends here, and I thought it was kind of funny so I'll share it with you:

Trolls are nothing new. I saw this game being played almost 20 years ago, long before Al Gore (allegedly) invented the Internet.

When I made my first brief go-around at long distance trucking back in 1993, there were guys who would buy home CB radio base stations and harass the truck drivers and insult them or act gay and hit on them and stuff like that and the truckers would just eat it up hook, line, and sinker. The truck drivers would be cursing and yelling and threatening to kick their asses and the base station guys would just keep needling them because they knew there was no way that the truckers could ever find them. And even then I knew what the base station guys were really doing and some of them were funny as hell. These guys were very, very good at irritating people.

One of the funniest ones I remember was this guy I heard when I was heading west on I-80 in Illinois about 20-30 miles from the Mississippi River. It was probably around midnight, and he came on the CB in this crazy gravelly stoner voice, saying how he was barreling down the interstate in a tractor-trailer going 90 mph. "I gotta syringe here," he said loudly, "and it's full of heroin, crack, and LSD, and I'm getting ready to stick it in my arm." And then here come all the truckers, yelling  in their nasal Southern drawls: "You dumb sumbitch, you're gonna kill somebody!" "They need to get this guy off the road!" And it was just so obvious that this guy was completely full of it but the truckers had a complete lack of irony and they were just eating it up and getting madder and madder.

And then the stoner troll came back on. "I'm gonna stick it in now. Here goes:"

(pause)

And then he roared, "WHO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-OA!!! like he was riding a rollercoaster and hanging on for dear life.  And I just lost it then and started laughing my ass off. I thought it was brilliant. And then here come the truckers again: "You crasy bastard, get off the road!" "Someone needs to call the State Patrol!" I even got on the CB and told the other truckers that he was completely full of sh*t, but they were all like, "You need to mind your own business" and stuff like that.

It's the exact same thing people do online today. Trolling is not a new thing, it's probably been around for at least as long as CB radios have been around, which is a good 40-50 years.

I'm wondering if there are other ways that people did spamming (besides junk mail, of course) or trolling before the Internet became commonplace.

You're old enough to remember the CB craze of the seventies.  Every suburban jagoff was mounting a set on his dash and clogging up the band.  "Breaker one-nine, breaker one-nine, this is the Jack O' Diamonds, there's a smokey taking pictures at exit 5 on the I-84..."
:P

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/09/12 at 9:49 pm

You're old enough to remember the CB craze of the seventies.  Every suburban jagoff was mounting a set on his dash and clogging up the band.  "Breaker one-nine, breaker one-nine, this is the Jack O' Diamonds, there's a smokey taking pictures at exit 5 on the I-84..."
:P

Totally. The next door neighbors were totally into the CB craze, and when we took the red VW Bus on our trip out to Seattle in 1977 they loaned us one of theirs. Of course we weren't even out of Nebraska before my dad furiously unhooked it thanks to the colorful language of all those oh-so professional truck drivers.  ::) 

And for Christmas that year my parents gave me a toy CB radio with pre-recorded messages. Yet they wonder why I have to keep telling them I'm a piano player in a whorehouse!  :D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/09/12 at 9:59 pm

My family, for awhile in the 70s, did the whole CB thing.  Mostly just for dad to tell us when he was on his way home from the mine and mom could get dinner started.  We all had our handles, but I'll be damned to remember any of them.  I think mine had something to do with a cat (big surprise).  Maybe Miss Kitty or something like that.  I dunno.  Kinda odd when you think of it since I was at most 10 years old when we were into it.

We never really talked to anybody else.  I guess we were eliteist.  ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/09/12 at 10:18 pm

My family, for awhile in the 70s, did the whole CB thing.  Mostly just for dad to tell us when he was on his way home from the mine and mom could get dinner started.  We all had our handles, but I'll be damned to remember any of them.  I think mine had something to do with a cat (big surprise).  Maybe Miss Kitty or something like that.  I dunno.  Kinda odd when you think of it since I was at most 10 years old when we were into it.

We never really talked to anybody else.  I guess we were eliteist.  ;D

You weren't elitist, you were just being smart. Believe me when I say that there's so many idiotic truckers out there that I almost never listen to my CB anymore.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/12 at 11:48 pm

Totally. The next door neighbors were totally into the CB craze, and when we took the red VW Bus on our trip out to Seattle in 1977 they loaned us one of theirs. Of course we weren't even out of Nebraska before my dad furiously unhooked it thanks to the colorful language of all those oh-so professional truck drivers.  ::) 

And for Christmas that year my parents gave me a toy CB radio with pre-recorded messages. Yet they wonder why I have to keep telling them I'm a piano player in a whorehouse!  :D

I thought cussing wasn't allowed on the Citizens Band.  My parents wouldn't have cared.  They used all kinds of salty language around me.  One time my mom was trying to reset the clock in the car.
Mom:  Breaker-one-nine for the ten-thirty-six.
Trucker: Hickory-dickory-dock, go buy a clock!
Mom: F**k you!
Trucker: Hey beaver, you're not allowed to swear on the CB.
Mom: You pissed me off and when people piss me off, I say f**k you, SO, F**k YOU!!!
(radio silence)
:o

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/10/12 at 11:50 am

I thought cussing wasn't allowed on the Citizens Band.  My parents wouldn't have cared.  They used all kinds of salty language around me.  One time my mom was trying to reset the clock in the car.
Mom:  Breaker-one-nine for the ten-thirty-six.
Trucker: Hickory-dickory-dock, go buy a clock!
Mom: F**k you!
Trucker: Hey beaver, you're not allowed to swear on the CB.
Mom: You pissed me off and when people piss me off, I say f**k you, SO, F**k YOU!!!
(radio silence)
:o

I like the "Hickory-dickery-dock, go buy a clock!" line, I'll have to use that sometime.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/10/12 at 3:26 pm

My brother was into the CB craze.

There is an OLD thread:  http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe70s/1077588491.shtml

I said that I thought that CBs were just chat rooms of its day.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/12 at 12:04 am

My handle was Hot Wheels
My father was the Jack O' Diamonds
My mother was the Seeker
My sister was the Space Chick

Then even my grandfather got into under the handle the Side Pocket.

8)

Written By: whistledog on 06/12/12 at 8:59 pm

Everytime I see a CB, I think of The Dukes of Hazzard and the classic "Shepherd to lost sheep" lol

Written By: snozberries on 06/12/12 at 9:02 pm

Everytime I see a CB, I think of The Dukes of Hazzard and the classic "Shepherd to lost sheep" lol

I always think of this one ep  of CHiPs  :D

Written By: whistledog on 06/12/12 at 10:23 pm

I always think of this one ep  of CHiPs  :D

What about that 'Eight is Enough' episode where Tommy's Aunt buys him a CB and he invites that trucker to the house to shower and shave lol

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 06/12/12 at 11:18 pm

I always thinking of BJ and the bear or Smokey and the bandit when I think of CBs.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 06/12/12 at 11:20 pm

What about that 'Eight is Enough' episode where Tommy's Aunt buys him a CB and he invites that trucker to the house to shower and shave lol

I don't remember that one... I vaguely remember the one where nicholas ran away and met "santa" or some homeless dude he thought was santa  ;D

Subject: Pre-Internet trolls

Written By: Dude111 on 10/21/18 at 9:26 am

What exactly is a troll??

Sometimes on some sitess people say "Dude111 has gotta be most innocent troll I know"

Why cant people talk english??

What does TROLL mean?? I dont type stuff I dont mean,I dont type stuff just to get a reaction..... Is that what troll is??

When I say stuff like I LOVE VHS,ANALOGUE.ETC..... I mean it dues!!

Can someone help me out please??

Im sorry your family got alot of prank calls Howard :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/18 at 6:57 am

..I keep thinking of Three Billy Goats Gruff here. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...