inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The most important years of your life

Written By: sonikuu on 07/03/12 at 12:03 pm

For better or worse, everyone has those years that just stick out.  Those years that were the best of times or the worst of times (possibly both!).  Those years that changed the direction of your life and were a definite turning point for you.  So, what were the most important years for you and why?  Were they for better or for worse?

My important years:
- 2001: The end of my elementary school years and the start of my junior high school years.  I mark this year as the end of my childhood.  Junior high was a mostly not so good experience for me and I rate it as the worst part of my life.  I didn't suffer any traumas or anything, but I certainly was an uncool, loser kid which did not help at all.  2001 was essentially the start of my second half of 2001-early 2004 phase of my life.

- 2004: Entered high school and things started to change around.  I became REALLY into music this year when I ignored it the year before.  I started paying attention to pop culture and stuff a lot more than I did before, when I mostly ignored it outside of the realm of a few areas.  Started the 2004-2005 phase of my life.  It was definitely a change for the better, got picked on less and had more fun, though I certainly had my share of teenage angst at the time.

- 2007: Graduated from high school, got my first real part-time job that I worked at for three years, and started going to community college that Fall.  I had a ton of free time at the time and things were quite easygoing.  I was quite comfortable at the time, but in retrospect I was kind of muddling through.  In any case, this was the start of my 2007-2009 phase.

- 2010: Transferred from community college to university.  Studied abroad in Japan for the summer, which proved a MAJOR turning point in my life.  It convinced me I wanted to work internationally after college.  I became very involved in the international community on campus, decided to study abroad again in Japan for a full year (which I'm doing now, almost done), made a ton of new friends, and had a number of great ups and horrible downs.  Easily the most eventful and memorable period of my life.  This year started the 2010-present phase of my life.

I just noticed that my life changes in major ways every three years.  2013 is when I fully enter the adult world after hopefully graduating university in December 2012 (those credits SHOULD transfer correctly) and hopefully land my international job I've wanted since 2010.  Yep, next big year for me is right on schedule.

Subject: Re: The most important years of your life

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/03/12 at 2:44 pm

The most important years of my life were from 2004 to 2009. There were a lot of personal things going on in my life during those years, great things. When I was growing up I was a very shy person and it continued well into my early 20s until I was about 23. By the time I was 24 in 2004 that had changed I became more outgoing and socialized more. Then throughout my mid to late 20s (2005 to 2009) I went through all sorts of wonderful experiences, it was just a time period in my life when I really opened up and things were going my way. I was young and every moment was idyllic. Those years in particular are very important to me.

Written By: warped on 07/03/12 at 2:47 pm

The best times of my life were from 1968 to 1975. The most important times? Maybe I'm not there yet.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/03/12 at 5:11 pm

1992-1998 was a turning point in my life. I did a lot of growing & a lot of healing-not to mention getting my B.A. and worked on my masters (even though I never got it). It was also during this time when I met & started dating Carlos. I moved in with him in 1998-which was one of the best years of my life. We took a trip across country-my first trip to California.

2003 was the ABSOLUTE best year of my life-that was the year when the Love Of My Life ask me to marry him and I did indeed marry my best friend that year.

Before 1992 is what I refer to as the "dark ages."

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/04/12 at 7:05 am

1992-I graduated High School and I got my I.E.P Diploma a year later

2007-I finally rid myself of therapies and vocational programs after 15 years.

2012- celebrated 5 years with Pathmark April 18th.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/06/12 at 1:12 pm

This year has always stuck out to me for various, albeit vague reasons. I started kindergarten at a brand new school that year, and the year was just fun in general, I guess.  :)

My little sister was born.

This was one of the most pivotal years in my life. I graduated from elementary school, turned thirteen, went to Atlanta with some relatives (first time being so far away from my parents), went to summer camp for the first time (which sucked), and this year would also usher in probably the worst two years of my life - junior high.  8-P

This year sucked for me. My cat was killed by a pit bull, and some of the election results of that year depressed me (especially Prop 8 passing in California).

I graduated from high school and began college, an immense improvement in my life, if I do say so.

Got my first boyfriend, will turn 21, and some other things make this year special for me.  ::)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/06/12 at 1:32 pm

Probably 2009-2015ish: My studies at university to get prepared for my future job.

Anything before the current time is actually not really important, however I like to be nostalgic about the 'good old times' - but most important? No way.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/06/12 at 2:54 pm

Years that stand out for me...

Good:

1998: I feel like this was the main and most fun year of my childhood. Just lots of good memories of sunny summer days with cousins and neighbors, first and second grade, playing Nintendo 64, family vacation to California, etc.
2002: Made some of my current best friends in 5th grade, ended elementary school, got my dog in the summer, and started junior high.
2005: Graduated junior high, really fun summer with friends, started high school.
2009: Graduated high school, started college, changed my appearance.
2011: Came out of the closet in April.

Bad:

2006: I broke my femur in the Fall and missed a month of school, our house was struck by lightning which ruined all our electronics, my grandfather was really sick this year, part of our house was being remodeled so things were in disarray, I never did my homework and got bad grades, and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/11/12 at 12:23 am

2001 - I got divorced (in January), started college (again) (in February), met online a guy who turned out to be pretty great (in April) and met him in person (in June) (married him two years later - Hurrah I *can* make good decisions. lol) 

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 07/11/12 at 9:37 pm

2001- I was 10 and 9/11 had a real effect on me, mostly because I was born in NY

2003- My personal life sucked at that time,My grandfather died, I was being bullied a lot, I had suicidal thoughts, a family member molested me, my mother verbally harassed me and one time told me I was nothing and threw a suitcase at my head. The only good thing that came from that year was my cousin being born. Despite the issues I kept going! What I learned from that year was life is not gonna be easy.

2004- I realized I wasn't a little kid anymore.

2009- I graduated and proved people wrong

2011- I got a job and again proved people wrong and started learning to do things on my own time.

2012- I finally stopped trying to be the good child and told people to back off.

Check for new replies or respond here...