inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the first "year" you were aware of?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/05/12 at 1:35 pm

I was born in 1990 and can remember things as early as 1993 or so, but that's not what I mean. I'm talking about the first time you became aware that we assigned a numerical label to each passing year. For me it was 1996. I remember in kindergarten, my teacher explaining before we went on winter break that when we came back it would be 1997. Then in the fall when I started first grade my teacher always made us write the date on all our papers and stuff. So even though I remember a lot of the mid-late 90s, for the first 3+ years of my conscious memory I didn't actually know I was "living in the 90s" or "twentieth century".

I also remember at some point in 1999 asking my mom what year would come next. It wasn't so much that I didn't know how to count but it was the pronunciation "NINETEEN ninety-nine" that threw me off. I remember being confused as to why "two thousand" would follow "nineteen" lol.

Subject: Re: What was the first "year" you were aware of?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/05/12 at 1:54 pm

That's an interesting topic!

I can't say it for sure because it is so long ago, but it must have been around 1992 when I really knew that I was in the 90's, maybe late 1991 because I remember New Years Eve '91. I am not counting the collage I did for my sister who obviosly forced me to write the date on it in 1991. I can't even say that that is really a '1' after the '9', but the fashion on the pictures I used and the cars rather look like it.

Really confirmed is 1993 because I found some pictures I painted that year; with a date on it - clearly written by myself. From that time on, I counted the years and in the mid 90's I was already thinking about how old I would be in 2000 and 2010.

Written By: warped on 07/05/12 at 2:18 pm

Just some memories of a trip we took to the U.S. in the summer of 1966.
1967 becomes more clear for me. Several memories from that year. Our country had it's Centennial celebration in 1967. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/05/12 at 2:24 pm

1967 becomes more clear for me. Several memories from that year. Our country had it's Centennial celebration in 1967.

But did you know that it really was 1966 in 1966? That's what the thread is about. You were only 3 or 4 in 1966.

Written By: warped on 07/05/12 at 2:41 pm

But did you know that it really was 1966 in 1966? That's what the thread is about. You were only 3 or 4 in 1966.

Yes, I knew it was 1966 in 1966.
Reason: Canada was preparing for it's centennial anniversary. Although I had a vague idea it meant that it was the country's 100th birthday, I specifically asked my mom if we were celebrating it this year ( which was 1966 ). She told me something like. "No, this is is 1966, Canada's 100th birthday is next year, 1967."

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/05/12 at 3:31 pm

I would have to say 1969 because we went to Expo '69 in Montreal. And on New Year's 1970, I thought it was so cool that we started a new decade (even if I didn't know what a decade was at the time) and I remember writing 1970 down so I didn't forget it and wondering when 1970 would come around again.  :D ;D ;D ;D  Ok, so I wasn't the brightest crayon in the box in those days.

Cat

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/05/12 at 3:34 pm

For me it was 1985. It was the first year that I became aware I was living in that time. I also remember learning how to write the dates when I was in kindergarten, that was in '85-'86. The first date I can remember writing and for some reason remained in my memory was March 21 1986 and I don't have a calendar from that year but it was a school day because I remember it well.

Written By: gibbo on 07/05/12 at 5:34 pm

In Autstralia we have our summer holidays in December/January ... so the change in year was immediately in our minds. It signified moving up in school grade.  Prior to that ... I'm pretty sure it didn't really enter my mind.  So ... 1966 I started school and became more aware of the change in years from 1966 to 1967.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 07/05/12 at 5:36 pm

I'm thinking 1975.

Written By: Bobo on 07/05/12 at 5:53 pm

The first date I can remember writing and for some reason remained in my memory was March 21 1986 and I don't have a calendar from that year but it was a school day because I remember it well.

I happen to know that day is a Friday - that was the day that I was born! :D I was the second of my parents' four children, all of which were born on Friday. :D

Written By: nally on 07/05/12 at 5:58 pm

I wanna say 1985. I do have some recollections of 1984, including losing a tooth on May 29th of that year, as well as the Summer Olympics in L.A. (which were local to me!)... but 1985 is the first year that I began to have clear memories of. I do remember being in preschool during the first half of that year, and starting kindergarten that September. As well as other things that occurred in my life, and around the world (albeit a few such events).

Written By: nally on 07/05/12 at 6:01 pm

For me it was 1985. It was the first year that I became aware I was living in that time. I also remember learning how to write the dates when I was in kindergarten, that was in '85-'86. The first date I can remember writing and for some reason remained in my memory was March 21 1986 and I don't have a calendar from that year but it was a school day because I remember it well.
It was a school day for me, too; I was in kindergarten at the time!

I happen to know that day is a Friday - that was the day that I was born! :D I was the second of my parents' four children, all of which were born on Friday. :D

Indeed it was! :D

Written By: Howard on 07/05/12 at 7:22 pm

1987 cause I remember when good music was on the radio that year, I still have cassette tapes from 25 years ago still in my closet but not sure if it still plays now cause it might be a bit warped.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/05/12 at 11:29 pm

Along the same lines, for me it's 1976, the American Bicentennial.  The year was emblazoned everywhere! I turned seven that year and started school, so it made sense to start thinking in terms of years. 

http://www.stellacoinnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/1976-o.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/06/12 at 6:24 am

Along the same lines, for me it's 1976, the American Bicentennial.  The year was emblazoned everywhere! I turned seven that year and started school, so it made sense to start thinking in terms of years. 

I remember those quarters.

Written By: Starde on 07/06/12 at 9:41 am

I was born in 1990 and can remember things as early as 1993 or so, but that's not what I mean. I'm talking about the first time you became aware that we assigned a numerical label to each passing year. For me it was 1996. I remember in kindergarten, my teacher explaining before we went on winter break that when we came back it would be 1997. Then in the fall when I started first grade my teacher always made us write the date on all our papers and stuff. So even though I remember a lot of the mid-late 90s, for the first 3+ years of my conscious memory I didn't actually know I was "living in the 90s" or "twentieth century".

I also remember at some point in 1999 asking my mom what year would come next. It wasn't so much that I didn't know how to count but it was the pronunciation "NINETEEN ninety-nine" that threw me off. I remember being confused as to why "two thousand" would follow "nineteen" lol.

What you said is basically the same for me. I was also in kindergarten in 1996 and remember my teacher asking/telling what today's date was and whatnot. I also remember writing the date on all my assignments in 1997 back in the 1st grade. So '96/'97 is definitely when I became aware that I was living in the 90's and 20th century.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/06/12 at 12:34 pm

This is a complicated thing for me to explain, but I'll try my best. Recently, I was looking at this packet I worked on back in the first grade (1998-1999), and the date was written on it in my handwriting, but I could have just copied that from the blackboard.

Probably right before Winter Break of 1999, I remember being in the library, and one of my classmates was handing out bookmarks or something that commemorated the year 2000. Also, my little sister was born in the year 2000, so I'm certain that I was consciously aware of what year I was in by 2000 at the latest.

That's not to say that I couldn't have been aware prior, but I don't think I was intellectually mature enough to understand the concept of "years," as crazy as that might sound, before the year 2000. Also, it could be easier to remember 2000 than it would be to remember 1999 or so forth for a small child, because the former doesn't have as many syllables in it.

By the year 2000, I was definitely aware that I was born in 1991, and that the 1990s had preceded the year 2000/'01/etc. In fact, around 2002 or 2003, I distinctly remember feeling nostalgic for the year 1997, for whatever reason.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/06/12 at 9:12 pm

I remember those quarters.

They still turn up in your change from time to time.  The Minuteman obverse was the only one besides the eagle until they started issuing the state quarters in the late nineties.

Written By: nally on 07/07/12 at 12:03 am

They still turn up in your change from time to time.  The Minuteman obverse was the only one besides the eagle until they started issuing the state quarters in the late nineties.

I'm certain that I've come across a few of them from time to time. I even saved one and was reluctant to spend it due to its historic nature.

Written By: Starde on 07/07/12 at 12:06 pm

Just a few days ago, I discovered an American Bicentennial half dollar coin in the washing machine with my clothes while I was doing laundry. I have no idea where it came from, but, uh, finders, keepers. :P

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/07/12 at 12:36 pm

Do you really have to remember those? I am German and have been in the USA only four times and even I clearly remember them having in my pocket. Or did Howard mean exactly the 1976 one?

Written By: Howard on 07/07/12 at 7:30 pm

Do you really have to remember those? I am German and have been in the USA only four times and even I clearly remember them having in my pocket. Or did Howard mean exactly the 1976 one?

I meant the 1976 Quarter.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/12 at 12:20 pm

The Bicentennial quarter (as well as that half dollar & dollar) isn't as valuable as one might think. It was produced 2 years (1975 and 1976 even though it does not have the 1975 date on it). There were hundreds of millions minted which means they are worth only about $25 cents. If you have an uncirculated one or a proof, they are worth a little bit more-but not much.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/08/12 at 4:21 pm

The Bicentennial quarter (as well as that half dollar & dollar) isn't as valuable as one might think. It was produced 2 years (1975 and 1976 even though it does not have the 1975 date on it). There were hundreds of millions minted which means they are worth only about $25 cents. If you have an uncirculated one or a proof, they are worth a little bit more-but not much.

https://encrypted-tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDWCCSTLaME2a6sV9IcaO20GXzeU7ti7GOYrKQPdJGcHnSSYPruw

I remember my great-aunt Lulu handing me one of these during Bicentennial mania and telling me never to spend it because it was special.  Then my teacher told us the Bicentennial quarters wouldn't be worth anything because people were hording them...my first lesson in supply and demand.  Anyway, I did with Aunt Lulu's quarter what I would do with the same quarter today, I spent it on candy.
;)

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/08/12 at 4:58 pm

anyone know if the 50 state quarters are worth anything? Or more than $12.50 I should say, lol.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/08/12 at 6:17 pm

anyone know if the 50 state quarters are worth anything? Or more than $12.50 I should say, lol.

Some are actually worth more than others. Here is one chart as to how much they are worth:

http://coins.about.com/od/coinvalues/l/bl_state_quarter_values_coins_prices.htm

The problem with that chart is that it doesn't take into account condition. Proofs are ALWAYS worth more than business strikes (clad). Business strike coins are the ones we use everyday. Proofs have a mirror-like finish to them. While you CAN spend a proof, you would be foolish to. And then their are error coins which are ALWAYS worth a lot.

The 2004-D Wisconsin quarter with the extra leaf is VERY sought after. Some sell for way over a grand.

Cat

Written By: TD3000 on 07/09/12 at 3:27 am

The first New Year's I remember is 1997 so I'll say the first year I was aware of was 1996. I turned 9 that year, so that seems quite late though.

Written By: nally on 07/09/12 at 2:58 pm

Combined, yes. :D I didn't collect all 50, btw. I had no choice but to spend them in most cases.

Written By: danootaandme on 07/09/12 at 4:41 pm

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/09/12 at 11:05 pm

That's an interesting topic!

I can't say it for sure because it is so long ago, but it must have been around 1992 when I really knew that I was in the 90's, maybe late 1991 because I remember New Years Eve '91. I am not counting the collage I did for my sister who obviosly forced me to write the date on it in 1991. I can't even say that that is really a '1' after the '9', but the fashion on the pictures I used and the cars rather look like it.

Really confirmed is 1993 because I found some pictures I painted that year; with a date on it - clearly written by myself. From that time on, I counted the years and in the mid 90's I was already thinking about how old I would be in 2000 and 2010.

Pretty similar for me. I have alot of really strong memories from 1991 because my younger brother was born that year, but I don't actually recall if I was cognizant of the fact that it actually was 1991 or not. I know it's 1992 for me because I started school that year, and we learned about the '92 Presidential campaign that fall.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/11/12 at 9:32 pm

I still have a notepad that says March 15, 1990 that I keep, and is based on The Price Is Right's Check Game. That said, it was probably 1989 that I was first aware of the year since I entered preschool then. To confirm this, my baby memory book written by my mother states when I was 4 1/2 around late summer/early fall of 1989, it states that I know the exact day and month of the year, and was counting the days to preschool.

Written By: TakaWuKid91 on 07/11/12 at 9:44 pm

I want to say 1995 and I think it had a lot to do with Toy Story and Pocahontas ( I remember the trailer saying June of 1995).

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/13/12 at 11:59 am

This is a great topic!

I have a handful of very faint memories from my first couple years being alive.  Born in 1978, I'd say the first year I can piece together pretty well would be about 1982, the year my brother was born.  I remember quite a bit from that year.  Of course, 1985 and beyond would be much more vivid.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/10/12 at 2:38 pm

I was born in 1987 and the first year I'm positive I remember something from is 1991.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 09/10/12 at 3:54 pm

Did you know the year was called "Nineteen Ninety One" though? Or was it just the year of your first memory? Because my earliest memories are from late '93, but I didn't know years were labeled until my kindergarten teacher told us about "Nineteen Ninety Seven". Does that make sense?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/10/12 at 3:56 pm

Did you know the year was called "Nineteen Ninety One" though? Or was it just the year of your first memory? Because my earliest memories are from late '93, but I didn't know years were labeled until my kindergarten teacher told us about "Nineteen Ninety Seven". Does that make sense?

Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, too. Even I can't say for sure if I have experienced the year 1991 as '1991'.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/10/12 at 3:57 pm

Umm maybe 1992 was the first year I was aware of what it was called. Certainly by the time I started first grade in '93 I was aware it was "nineteen ninety three".

Written By: Emman on 09/10/12 at 4:12 pm

The first actual year I have memories of was around 1988 but the first year I became aware of numerical time would be around 1991 or 1992(since I was in kindergarten/first grade at the time).

It's so weird to me someone 10 years younger(and they're almost legal!!!) than me would have almost no first hand experiences of the '90s aside from '98 or '99. The '80s seem like this "mysterious" time period to me, like I'm really curious what everyday life was like during the earlier '80s, I guess some '95ers might have the same impression with the '90s.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/10/12 at 4:24 pm

The '80s seem like this "mysterious" time period to me, like I'm really curious what everyday life was like during the earlier '80s, I guess some '95ers might have the same impression with the '90s.

That's exactly what I am thinking about the 80s, too. On the one hand they are so close to my existence and I have even 'lived' some years of the decade; I still didn't really experience them, while I always felt connected to even the earlier years. That's basically due to the fact that my sister was a true 80's kid and I played with her typical 80's toys or board games (which were still quite new around 1989/90); so my first years were very 80's influenced.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/13/12 at 5:14 am

I'd say 1994. I think I have a few memories of 1993 and possibly even one from 1992 but 1994 is the first year I truly have a narrative of. My sister was born then, I lived in Sunnyvale, California, I was in pre-school and I broke 3 bones in my foot, and I remember putting floppy disks into my computer, playing with DOS, my brother's friend Sam and watching Saved By The Bell and Barney. I was 4 years old.

Written By: belmont22 on 09/13/12 at 5:20 am

Oh yeah I still see them pretty frequently. I think coins tend to last 30-40 years on average. Occasionally I will find nickels dating back as far as 1938!

Check for new replies or respond here...