inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why goes Gen Y have bad handwriting?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/12/12 at 1:27 pm

If you look at, for example, a handwritten letter from someone of the boomer generation or older, their handwriting is in most cases neatly stylized and sophisticated. I think most of us when we were first learning to write in cursive always assumed ours would start to look that way as we got older, but most of my peers still have the same child-like handwriting they did in elementary school. Even the girls. Now personally, I think I have nice handwriting, but unlike my peers I actually stuck with cursive well beyond junior high. Everyone else seemed to revert back to printing by the time they started high school, but even their printing still looks like crap. Not only that, but a lot of times if I happen to show friends things I've handwritten, they'll be like "I can't read cursive" O___O. How do you forget? And I don't mean to generalize an entire generalize the entire generation, nor am I saying all old people have nice handwriting, I'm just reporting what I've observed on average compared to the older generations. Is it because we physically write less in the age of computers?

I'm almost 22 for the record.

Subject: Re: Why goes Gen Y have bad handwriting?

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/12/12 at 3:38 pm

Is it because we physically write less in the age of computers?

I think that could be your answer.

I don't know which generation I am in but I am always getting good compliments about my handwriting in cursive :)

Written By: warped on 07/12/12 at 3:45 pm

I can't remember the last time I received a written letter. As a tail end baby boomer, I used to write lots of letters and receive them.
My generation had a little more practice in writing ( letters, Christmas cards, essays at school, university), so that might be a reason.

Written By: loki 13 on 07/12/12 at 3:58 pm

My guess is they just don't teach it anymore. I graduated high school in 1980 and every class I had up to that point
penmanship was factored in the grade. After 3rd grade printing was a no no; everything had to be cursive, even word
problems in math.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/12/12 at 4:16 pm

My guess is they just don't teach it anymore. I graduated high school in 1980 and every class I had up to that point
penmanship was factored in the grade. After 3rd grade printing was a no no; everything had to be cursive, even word
problems in math.

It was definitely still taught to my class in 1999 when I was in third grade, and was pretty much enforced up to about 8th grade. Then in high school, teachers didn't care and most people slipped back into the habit of printing. Now I always hear people my age talking about what a waste of time learning cursive was and what not because they never use it.

In college if I ever have to hand-write an assignment, I always do so in cursive because it looks more professional and less lazy. I even take most of my notes in cursive.

Although I did hear that as of about a year ago, teaching cursive is no longer a requirement for schools. Big mistake, imo. How is that generation going to sign their names or read things that the preceding generations wrote?

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/12 at 6:39 pm

This is the digital age.  Does anyone even use a pen/pencil and paper anymore?  You seldom see it apart from school classrooms

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/12/12 at 7:45 pm

This is the digital age.  Does anyone even use a pen/pencil and paper anymore?  You seldom see it apart from school classrooms

I agree. Pencil and paper usage is mostly confined to classrooms now, although I'm even seeing a lot of my classmates type up their notes on laptops. Instead of written essays, most professors require typed essays. But it's also a convenience thing. For example, why go through the trouble of writing and mailing a letter when you can just type it up, send it, and receive a response within hours or minutes even?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/12/12 at 7:46 pm

Because penmanship is sexist.
8)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/12/12 at 8:42 pm

Oh I dunno, bad handwriting isn't Gen Y exclusive.  I do alot of geneaology research, and having to decipher the script handwriting of old census records (to me) is torture.  Also have access to my great-grandmother's church records, written in German, and in script, and I just have kinda given up.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/12/12 at 10:02 pm

Oh I dunno, bad handwriting isn't Gen Y exclusive.  I do alot of geneaology research, and having to decipher the script handwriting of old census records (to me) is torture.  Also have access to my great-grandmother's church records, written in German, and in script, and I just have kinda given up.

Funny you mention census records, because that's part of what prompted my observation. I too do genealogy research and am often in awe in the impressively neat penmanship of the census takers...I mean sometimes it's SO fancy that it's just as hard to read as poor penmanship, but that's beside my point, lol. That is if the image/ink hasn't severely faded making it even harder to read.

And while I understand that we live in the digital age, I don't think the need the write with a pen will ever completely disappear. There are times when it's simpler to jot something down on paper than it is to fetch your laptop so you can type it.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 07/13/12 at 12:37 am

I have to say that I don't have "pretty" handwriting, not like some I've seen.  But I can still read my own handwriting (so far, anyway).  Whenever I have to sign my full name on official documents, I have to stop and spell it in my head, and sometimes there is a disconnect, and I end up having to "fix" my signature because I left out a letter.  I'm a big fan of typing (see my typewriters thread http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=46165.0), so I'm not really all that upset that handwriting is becoming somewhat obsolete.  Having said that, I have a copy of a letter written by my great-great grandfather (albeit, it was a application for disability funding from the Veterans Admins. after the Civil War (so the letter is a bit dry) but it is interesting to see his handwriting over a hundred years later.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/13/12 at 2:18 am

Of course I do. Taking notes in handwriting is a lot more spontanous and you're more flexible - and the content 'goes into the brain' much better IMO.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/12 at 6:31 am

If you look at, for example, a handwritten letter from someone of the boomer generation or older, their handwriting is in most cases neatly stylized and sophisticated. I think most of us when we were first learning to write in cursive always assumed ours would start to look that way as we got older, but most of my peers still have the same child-like handwriting they did in elementary school. Even the girls. Now personally, I think I have nice handwriting, but unlike my peers I actually stuck with cursive well beyond junior high. Everyone else seemed to revert back to printing by the time they started high school, but even their printing still looks like crap. Not only that, but a lot of times if I happen to show friends things I've handwritten, they'll be like "I can't read cursive" O___O. How do you forget? And I don't mean to generalize an entire generalize the entire generation, nor am I saying all old people have nice handwriting, I'm just reporting what I've observed on average compared to the older generations. Is it because we physically write less in the age of computers?

I think people are using computers more than writing letters by hand.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/12 at 6:32 am

I barely see it. technology has taken over.

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/13/12 at 12:02 pm

Several of my family members are teachers and I can attest that, at least in my area (southeast PA), the emphasis on teaching kids how to write is diminished to the point where they are basically just tought how to form the letters and create words.  There is no stylization of the letters, and cursive is no longer taught at all.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/15/12 at 12:05 am

"I can't read cursive" O___O. How do you forget?

You don't, but if you never learned in the first place, it's probably pretty difficult to read.

The decline of cursive has been the subject of debate for a couple of years.

X'er here - can read and write cursive, but typically print in block, because I can print faster than I can do (legible) cursive, can type 60-80WPM, can't text worth a damn.  I wonder if I can voice-dictate faster than I can type.  I'd bet I could type faster with a QWERTY keyboard and a really fast predictive engine than I can type with QWERTY alone.  If that's the case, then yes, anyone who grew up texting with a better keyboard layout, even if they didn't have as fast a predictive engine, should be able to out-type me.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/15/12 at 12:12 am

You don't, but if you never learned in the first place, it's probably pretty difficult to read.

The people I was referring to did learn it, but it's just apparently been a long time since they've used it. And "can't read it" is probably also a bit of exaggeration on either mine or their part, but I'm sure they just meant it takes more effort for them to read than printing.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/15/12 at 12:13 am

I'm from Generation X and my handwriting isn't good. Which is funny because I can sketch and draw a bit.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/15/12 at 12:40 am

I always see them texting with their thumbs!  I can type 60 wpm, 75 when I was in shape, but I sure couldn't get a handle on that texting business!  I'd rather write a note and make a paper airplane out of it!
:D

Written By: Howard on 07/15/12 at 7:29 am

I always see them texting with their thumbs!  I can type 60 wpm, 75 when I was in shape, but I sure couldn't get a handle on that texting business!  I'd rather write a note and make a paper airplane out of it!
:D

That's what I see all the time now.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/16/12 at 12:34 am

Because they masturbate too much!
:o

Written By: Howard on 07/16/12 at 7:14 am

Because they masturbate too much!
:o

that's not the answer but a good one though.

Written By: Goodogbadog on 07/17/12 at 12:00 am

Ever tried to write cursive with your thumbs?  lol

AND, the big question is... Why did people ever have good, attractive handwriting?  Did they not mind being told what to do and how to do it? Did they not mind "looking nice?"  (Compare Patti Page to Courtney Love)  What about... it takes patience and practice to write well, especially when you first start out and are teaching your hand and your brain how to do it. And you have to WANT your writing to look "nice."  Well, if you don't want your hair and your clothes and your manners and your music to look "nice," why would you want your handwriting to look nice?  "Niceness" came to be associated with stupidity, conformity, conservatism, insincerity, rigidity, shallowness. Gawd, if your handwriting started looking too "nice," you'd right quick mess it up!!  (just an idea.) :)  (nice face)

Check for new replies or respond here...