inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Spin-Offs: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/12 at 2:13 pm

There have been many, many spin-offs-some good, some not so good. Here is a list of some of them (in no special order):

Happy Days (Love American Style)
Laverne & Shirley (Happy Days)
Mork & Mindy (Happy Days)
Joanie Loves Chatchie (Happy Days)
Blansky's Beauties (Happy Days)
The Jeffersons (All In The Family)
Good Times (All In The Family)
Maude (All In The Family)
Gloria (All In The Family)
Archie Bunker's Place (All In The Family)
Rhoda (Mary Tyler Moore)
Trapper John, MD (M*A*S*H)
After M*A*S*H (M*A*S*H)
Three's A Crowd (Three's Company)
The Ropers (Three's Company)
Fish (Barney Miller)
Knots Landing (Dallas)
Port Charles (General Hospital)
Angel (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)
Star Trek: The Next Generation (Star Trek)
Deep Space 9 (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Enterprise (Star Trek)
The Facts Of Life (Diff'rent Strokes)
Fraiser (Cheers)

And many, many more.

What are some of your favorites, the ones you hated, etc, etc.?

For me, the absolutely best spin-off has to be The Jeffersons.  I liked it much better than the show it spun off from-All In The Family.

Cat

Subject: Re: Spin-Offs: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

Written By: warped on 07/25/12 at 2:45 pm

At the time, I liked "Happy Days" and "Laverne and Shirley".  Tuesday nights on ABC I think it was, back in the 1970s.  But as I watch them on DVD now, they aren't as funny anymore, but still good entertainment.  Mork and Mindy (Season 1 and parts of season 2) still make me laugh.

I liked the Jeffersons almost as much as I liked All in the Family, but listening to George yell and yell during every single episode grew tiresome at times. I did enjoy his arguments with Florence.

From time to time I watched Maude, it was OK.  The facts of life was OK too.
I watched only a little of Rhoda and did not watch Phyllis at all.

I didn't watch most of the others, due to lack on interest and life getting in the way.
You could argue the the Simpsons is a spin-off from the Tracey Ullman show, and that would be my #1.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/12 at 3:51 pm

At the time, I liked "Happy Days" and "Laverne and Shirley".  Tuesday nights on ABC I think it was, back in the 1970s.  But as I watch them on DVD now, they aren't as funny anymore, but still good entertainment.  Mork and Mindy (Season 1 and parts of season 2) still make me laugh.

I liked the Jeffersons almost as much as I liked All in the Family, but listening to George yell and yell during every single episode grew tiresome at times. I did enjoy his arguments with Florence.

From time to time I watched Maude, it was OK.  The facts of life was OK too.
I watched only a little of Rhoda and did not watch Phyllis at all.

I didn't watch most of the others, due to lack on interest and life getting in the way.
You could argue the the Simpsons is a spin-off from the Tracey Ullman show, and that would be my #1.

I am with you. I used to watch Happy Days, Laverne & Shirley, and Mork & Mindy and loved them-UNTIL... Yeah, they all got old after awhile. Now, I just can't seem to stomach them-well not for too long anyway.

I forgot about Phyllis. I watched it but I really hated it-and didn't like Chloris Leachmen-until I saw her in other things such as Young Frankenstein & History of the World. She really is a great character actress but Phyllis was  8-P .

I did forget the Simpsons-yes, it is a spin-off. I haven't watched the show in a long time. Yup-life gets in the way (not to mention my husband doesn't care for it).

Cat

Written By: warped on 07/25/12 at 5:24 pm

Some other spin-offs I watched, briefly:

A Different world ( from The Cosby Show)
Lou Grant (from MTM)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/25/12 at 5:49 pm

Some other spin-offs I watched, briefly:

A Different world ( from The Cosby Show)
Lou Grant (from MTM)

Personally, I liked Lou Grant better than MTM.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/12 at 7:18 pm

I have the complete series of 'The Ropers' and 'Threes Company' on DVD-R and I love them!

One of my favourites was called 'Just the 10 of Us'.  It was a spin-off from 'Growing Pains' and ran for 3 seasons

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udTBr7HFswY

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/12 at 8:56 pm

Trapper John, MD is theoretically ineligible as it is a spin-off from the 1970 movie M*A*S*H, not the TV series M*A*S*H, but it is still a spin-off

A few bad ones I used to watch ...
Women of the House (1994) - Delta Burke reprising her role as Suzanne Sugarbaker, which she first played on 'Designing Women'
Billy (1992) - Billy Connolly reprises his role as Billy, Howard Hesseman's replacement in the final season of 'Head of the Class'

A few ones not already mentioned that I enjoyed ...
Top of the Heap (1991) - Matt LeBlanc, Joe Bologna and Joey Lauren Adams reprising recurring roles they played in the 5th season of 'Married ... With Children'
Vinnie & Bobby (1992) - A Spin-off from 'Top of the Heap'
Empty Nest (1988-1995) - Spin-off from 'The Golden Girls'. 
Nurses (1991-1994) - Spin-off from 'Empty Nest'
Benson (1979-1986) - Spin-off from 'Soap'

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/12 at 10:33 am

There have been many, many spin-offs-some good, some not so good. Here is a list of some of them (in no special order):

Happy Days (Love American Style)
Laverne & Shirley (Happy Days)
Mork & Mindy (Happy Days)
Joanie Loves Chatchie (Happy Days)
Blansky's Beauties (Happy Days)
The Jeffersons (All In The Family)
Good Times (All In The Family)
Maude (All In The Family)
Gloria (All In The Family)
Archie Bunker's Place (All In The Family)
Rhoda (Mary Tyler Moore)
After M*A*S*H (M*A*S*H)
Three's A Crowd (Three's Company)
The Ropers (Three's Company)
Fish (Barney Miller)
Knots Landing (Dallas)
Port Charles (General Hospital)
Angel (Buffy The Vampire Slayer)  O0
Star Trek: The Next Generation (Star Trek)
Deep Space 9 (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Enterprise (Star Trek)
The Facts Of Life (Diff'rent Strokes)
Fraiser (Cheers)

Missing from your list...

Andy Griffith Show (Make Room for Daddy)
Green Acres (Petticoat Junction)
Phyllis (MTM) Lou Grant (MTM)
A Different World (Cosby Show)
Star Trek: Voyager
Caprica (Battlestar Galactica 2004)
Joey (Friends)
Empty Nest (Golden Girls)
Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior  (CM)
Law & Order: SVU - Captain Cragen started on L&O and transitioned to SVU so it's a legit spin off
Law & Order: CI (I make an exception for this one - unlike CSI- because they evolved the concept to a different level making it an entirely different show..
L&O: Trial by Jury

However I don't think  of CSI  should technically be considered spin-offs because they didn't start on the mothership show and the only difference is the show crime scenes moved to different locales... CSI Miami or NY bare little difference from LV.

I don't watch NCIS so I don't know if NCIS: LA got it's origins on  NCIS or, if like the CSI shows, they just came up with the same show in a new location.

Now I'm brain farting and can't think of any more...

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/12 at 10:37 am

Trapper John, MD is theoretically ineligible as it is a spin-off from the 1970 movie M*A*S*H, not the TV series M*A*S*H, but it is still a spin-off

Women of the House (1994) - Delta Burke reprising her role as Suzanne Sugarbaker, which she first played on 'Designing Women'
Billy (1992) - Billy Connolly reprises his role as Billy, Howard Hesseman's replacement in the final season of 'Head of the Class'

Top of the Heap (1991) - Matt LeBlanc, Joe Bologna and Joey Lauren Adams reprising recurring roles they played in the 5th season of 'Married ... With Children'

I forgot about Nurses... It lasted 3 seasons? I only remember watching one  ;D
Can't believe I forgot about Benson and Women of the House.

Wasn't aware of Billy, Top of the Heap or Vinnie & Bobby.

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/12 at 10:46 am

so what are my faves?

Angel of course.

SVU!  (And CI)

Different World

Lou Grant

Facts of Life

Andy Griffith

I hated with deep seething passion The Jeffersons and Good Times.  I loved Maude.  (oddly enough I wasn't a fan of All in the Family until I finally got old enough to appreciate it)

I loved Rhoda when I watched it during it's original run but kind feel like it's a chore to watch now.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/26/12 at 11:05 am

Missing from your list...

Andy Griffith Show (Make Room for Daddy)
Green Acres (Petticoat Junction)
Phyllis (MTM) Lou Grant (MTM)
A Different World (Cosby Show)
Star Trek: Voyager
Caprica (Battlestar Galactica 2004)
Joey (Friends)
Empty Nest (Golden Girls)
Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior  (CM)
Law & Order: SVU - Captain Cragen started on L&O and transitioned to SVU so it's a legit spin off
Law & Order: CI (I make an exception for this one - unlike CSI- because they evolved the concept to a different level making it an entirely different show..
L&O: Trial by Jury

However I don't think  of CSI  should technically be considered spin-offs because they didn't start on the mothership show and the only difference is the show crime scenes moved to different locales... CSI Miami or NY bare little difference from LV.

I don't watch NCIS so I don't know if NCIS: LA got it's origins on  NCIS or, if like the CSI shows, they just came up with the same show in a new location.

Now I'm brain farting and can't think of any more...

I know I missed a lot.

I did forget about Benson. I liked that one, too. I used to watch Billy, too. I think we were the only two who did.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/12 at 5:11 pm

I did forget about Benson. I liked that one, too. I used to watch Billy, too. I think we were the only two who did.

I liked Billy as a show itself, but I didn't like it as a Head of the Class spin-off.  I guess I just missed Howard Hesseman and didn't like change lol

Written By: loki 13 on 07/26/12 at 8:19 pm

There was a 2 hour crossover episode where Gibbs and his team went to L.A.. NCIS: L.A. started it's own series after that
but Abby (Pauley Perette) shows up in the L.A. series once in awhile.

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/12 at 8:46 pm

There was a 2 hour crossover episode where Gibbs and his team went to L.A.. NCIS: L.A. started it's own series after that
but Abby (Pauley Perette) shows up in the L.A. series once in awhile.

If they introduced the la characters on the original it's definately a spinoff. If Abby was in the la pilot then it could be technically deemed a spin off.

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/12 at 8:47 pm

Too lazy to look. Did anyone mention J
Knots Landing or the Colbys?

Written By: whistledog on 07/26/12 at 11:25 pm

The Colbys was not, but Knots Landing was.  I always wanted to see The Colbys.  I hope it comes to DVD.  I have the first 6 seasons of Dynasty on DVD, and I love it!

More Spin-offs not mentioned:

Saved By the Bell
Saved By the Bell: The New Class
Saved By the Bell: The College Years
Living Dolls (Spin-off from Who's the Boss, focusing on Samantha's friend Charlie Briscoe, played by Leah Remini, and her career as a model)
Family Feud
Family Matters
The Bionic Woman
Jake and the Fatman
The Tortelli's (Focuses on Nick Tortelli, Carla's ex-husband from the first few seasons of Cheers)

Written By: snozberries on 07/26/12 at 11:51 pm

Halle Berry was in Living Dolls too. I meant to mention it but forgot amid the steam of spinoffs that flooded my brain.  ;D

I can't believe I forgot about Bionic Woman. I didn't forget about it I jus wasn't thinking about it being a spin off.

A new spin off starting next month. Major Crimes (The Closer)

Written By: whistledog on 07/27/12 at 1:09 am

I just noticed something.  Archie Bunker's Place is listed as a spin-off.  When Carroll O'Connor gained control of All in the Family, he simply changed the name of it, thus Season 1 of Archie Bunker's Place is technically Season 10 of All in the Family.  I have always refused to accept it as a spin-off, only because the purpose of a spin-off, is to spin characters off into something else.  Nothing changed between either show.  It was just a continuation

Similar instances of this:

- The 90s sitcom Ellen was originally tiled These Friends of Mine in it's first season.  Does this make Ellen a spin-off?

- The 90s sitcom Two Guys and A Girl was originally titled Two Guys, A Girl and A Pizza Place

- After 1 season, the 1980 sitcom It's A Living was re-titled Making A Living for the 1981 season to improve ratings, but it didn't work and the show was cancelled.  In 1985, it was brought back in syndication where it ran for 4 more years under the original title It's A Living

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/12 at 2:52 am

Agreed. Archie Bunker's Place is not a spin off.

Surprises you didn't mention the change of Valerie to the Hogan Family Or the Torklesons to Almost Home.

Likewise...little house a new beginning is a continuation as well but not necessarily a spin off.  Father Murphy however....total spin off.

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/12 at 2:55 am

Oh and I don't think anyone mentioned The Clevland show....still too lazy to go back and check so I apologize if I'm wrong.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/12 at 7:02 am

Oh and I don't think anyone mentioned The Clevland show....still too lazy to go back and check so I apologize if I'm wrong.

That would be a spin-off.

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/12 at 9:07 am

That would be a spin-off.

I didn't say it wasn't a spin off Howard. It's obviously a spin off since the characters Cleveland Brown & Cleveland Brown Jr were spun off from family guy into their own show.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/12 at 9:47 am

Too lazy to look. Did anyone mention J
Knots Landing or the Colbys?

I mentioned Knots Landing that I didn't watch and forgot about the Colbys that I DID watch.  :-\\

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/12 at 10:27 am

I mentioned Knots Landing that I didn't watch and forgot about the Colbys that I DID watch.  :-\\

Cat

;D

Considering bionic woman is right up there with Charlie's angels for me but I forgot it - guess I can't say anything about your oversight.

Written By: whistledog on 07/27/12 at 12:42 pm

Agreed. Archie Bunker's Place is not a spin off.

Surprises you didn't mention the change of Valerie to the Hogan Family Or the Torklesons to Almost Home.

Likewise...little house a new beginning is a continuation as well but not necessarily a spin off.  Father Murphy however....total spin off.

Dang, I can't believe I left out The Hogan Family.  That was a show I watched ALL the time

Written By: snozberries on 07/27/12 at 4:06 pm

Dang, I can't believe I left out The Hogan Family.  That was a show I watched ALL the time

I know  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...