inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst/Bad Albums by Great Bands/Artists

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/17/12 at 12:50 am

You just love your favorite band/artist, but let’s be honest, not everything they did or album they made was top choice.

Every artist/band, no matter how great, made that one album that just stinks up the place…(be forewarned, this thread will probably upset the fanboys of said “great band/artist” but it needs to be heard.)

For me, I loved the Cure back in the mid 80’s (as a lot of people did). I awaited each album and played it to death.

But The Cure’s “Wish” is just sub-par. The Cure on cruise-control, not doing anything new and even worse, this time (much like Kiss Me did) pandering to their new pop audience with songs they have already done and probably wouldn’t do. I'm not saying "sell-out" here, but if it sounds like a duck...

“Friday I’m In Love” is the perfect example, horrid song.  Much like Debbie Boone’s “Light Up My Life”, it makes me retch when I hear it. 8-P Knowing what The Cure did in the past, where their music came from & what they had progressed to, it’s an abomination. Yes, it was one of their best selling albums, but just because you can sell a turd, doesn’t make it any less the poo that it is.

Well that’s my opinion and I’m sticking with it.

What albums by your favorite band/artist are “bad”?

Subject: Re: Worst/Bad Albums by Great Bands/Artists

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/12 at 9:25 am

Aww, but I liked 'Friday I'm in Love'.  I can see though it wasn't at par with their earlier material, but they did jump on the popular bandwagon, and Wish became their greatest success in North America

----------------

One for me was the 1990 album Liberty! by Duran Duran.  This was the first album where session guitarist Sterling Campbell (who joined on Big Thing in 1988) and Warren Cuccurullo (who joined on Notorious in 1986) were made official members of the band.  They switched up the dance pop sound, and though the lead single Violence of Summer (Love's Taking Over) did reach #20 in the UK, it fell under par in North America peaking at #64 in the US and #82 in Canada

The song wasn't bad, but it wasn't great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQR3OxPF2Vo

Written By: warped on 08/17/12 at 7:26 pm

Nice topic. Could create some disagreement, but all worthy of discussion
Yeah, like Whistledog, I liked  'Friday I'm in Love', but I agree it wasn't at par with their earlier material.

One of my choices would be 1980's 'Emotional Rescue" by the Rolling Stones. Wasn't crazy about the title song and did not find much about the album I liked. They had a good run all the way till 1978's Some Girls.
But, I'm glad the Stones made up for it with a very good album after that: "Tattoo you"

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/12 at 7:42 pm

One of my choices would be 1980's 'Emotional Rescue" by the Rolling Stones. Wasn't crazy about the title song and did not find much about the album I liked. They had a good run all the way till 1978's Some Girls.
But, I'm glad the Stones made up for it with a very good album after that: "Tattoo you"

'Emotional Rescue' is an OK song, but as compared to their other works, it's a bit odd.  It made it to #3 in the US and #9 in their native UK, but somehow, it spent 5 weeks at #1 in Canada :o 

Written By: Howard on 08/17/12 at 8:06 pm

'Emotional Rescue' is an OK song, but as compared to their other works, it's a bit odd.  It made it to #3 in the US and #9 in their native UK, but somehow, it spent 5 weeks at #1 in Canada :o

Mick sounds like a dying cat.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/18/12 at 12:29 am

WORST

Morrissey: Maladjusted (1997)
New Order: Republic (1993)
Depeche Mode: Ultra (1997)
The Cure: Wild Mood Swings (1996)
Brian Eno: Another Day on Earth (2005)
Talking Heads: No Talking Just Head (as The Heads) (1996)
David Byrne: Look Into the Eyeball (2001)

Written By: loki 13 on 08/18/12 at 1:29 pm

I agree to a point, Some Girls is my limit. All went to hell after that.

Some that fit the bill for me.

Ala Carte & Russian Roulette......Triumvirat

Anything after Duke.....Genesis, that goes for band members solo pursuits as well.

Anything after Tormato....Yes

Written By: warped on 08/18/12 at 2:06 pm

I agree to a point, Some Girls is my limit. All went to hell after that.

At least we are close to agreeing on that.

Anything after Duke.....Genesis,

I was OK with Abacab , but yeah it went downhill after that. My favorite Genesis album is still "Selling England by the pound"  Amazing stuff.
This is one band I would have liked to see in concert with Gabriel as the singer, but my age forbidded me to see them. (I think I was 12 or 13 when he left Genesis)  So I had to settle seeing Gabriel, solo (some 30 years ago). He never really sang the old Genesis material, but put on a good show. 

Anything after Tormato....Yes

Pretty much agree, but I liked "It can happen" from 90125.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/18/12 at 2:25 pm

I was OK with Abacab , but yeah it went downhill after that. My favorite Genesis album is still "Selling England by the pound"  Amazing stuff.
This is one band I would have liked to see in concert with Gabriel as the singer, but my age forbidded me to see them. So I had to settle seeing Gabriel, solo (some 30 years ago). He never really sang the old Genesis material, but put on a good show 

After reading this it got me thinking. And Then There Were Three and Duke were just okay, Duke being the better of the two.
I realized that my like for Genesis was when both Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett were with the band. They were excellent
with both of them, very good with just Hackett but not so much without either.

Written By: warped on 08/18/12 at 4:12 pm

After reading this it got me thinking. And Then There Were Three and Duke were just okay, Duke being the better of the two.
I realized that my like for Genesis was when both Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett were with the band. They were excellent
with both of them, very good with just Hackett but not so much without either.

Genesis were at it's peak when they had Gabriel & Hackett. I also enjoyed "A trick of the tail" tremendously, 1st album without Gabriel. 
Just as Genesis became really famous...I didn't like their stuff as much. It was still good, but not nearly as good.

"Yes" were at their peak with the Yes Album, Fragile & Close to the edge.  Really amazing stuff.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/18/12 at 4:29 pm

Genesis were at it's peak when they had Gabriel & Hackett. I also enjoyed "A trick of the tail" tremendously, 1st album without Gabriel. 
Just as Genesis became really famous...I didn't like their stuff as much. It was still good, but not nearly as good.

"Yes" were at their peak with the Yes Album, Fragile & Close to the edge.  Really amazing stuff.

I really liked Relayer, not many people did though. I didn't know how it would go over without Rick Wakeman but Patrick Moraz
nailed it. It is one of my favorite of yes albums. They seemed to change directions musically in the 80's and I didn't like the
direction they went, 80's pop did them no favors.

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/18/12 at 5:01 pm

Talking Heads – True Stories
Pure self indulgence, don’t see anything of redeeming purpose here except to coincide with the movie, it, within itself, boring self indulgence.

Prince – Lovesexy
All those stories of all the music Prince never released being in a vault somewhere? Well this should of stayed in that vault (with the exception of the Alphabet St track). And the cover photo, ugh.

Gun’s N Roses – The Spaghetti Incident?
Pure garbage, this was a cut out in the $1.99 bin the week it was released. For good reason.

The Cars – Door To Door
Was there anything on this album that you care to remember? Does anyone even remember the album? Exactly.

Radiohead – Pablo Honey
This ain’t the Radiohead that we all know. This was some other band that had yet to realize its true talent and it future greatness. Creep is just an annoying song and its no wonder you don’t hear the band play these songs from the album anymore…

Written By: warped on 08/18/12 at 7:22 pm

I really liked Relayer, not many people did though. I didn't know how it would go over without Rick Wakeman but Patrick Moraz
nailed it. It is one of my favorite of yes albums. They seemed to change directions musically in the 80's and I didn't like the
direction they went, 80's pop did them no favors.

I didn't like Relayer.  Just couldn't get into it. The next album ( forgot the name...2 tall buildings ) didn't like much either. Tormato was quite good.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/18/12 at 10:07 pm

I didn't like Relayer.  Just couldn't get into it. The next album ( forgot the name...2 tall buildings ) didn't like much either. Tormato was quite good.

That would be Going For The One. I had a friend who was a huge Yes fan and he didin't like Relayer either. I couldn't
tell you the name of any Yes album after Tormato. I know they have one like the Beverly Hills show,or 90210 or
something of that nature, I won't listen to it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/19/12 at 1:33 am

Talking Heads – True Stories
Pure self indulgence, don’t see anything of redeeming purpose here except to coincide with the movie, it, within itself, boring self indulgence.

Yeah, the wheels had come off the band and it was pretty clear David Byrne was going to indulge his solo career.  I loved the movie when it came out.  My sister and I thought David Byrne was sooooo kewl...and so did David!  Anyway, I do like "Love for Sale," and "Wild Wild Life," but it ain't the same band who did "Remain in Light" and "Speaking in Tongues."

The Cars – Door To Door
Was there anything on this album that you care to remember? Does anyone even remember the album? Exactly.

I did like the single "You Are the Girl."  I didn't buy the album -- like a lot of Cars fans.  Cars should have quit at their peak after the "Heartbeat City" tour.  But who's gonna tell them things aren't so great?  Did you hear their comeback album "Move Like This."  If you were expecting another Candy-O or Panorama, you'd be disappointed.  It's another "Door to Door."  Lackluster songs, though "Sad Song" is really good.

Radiohead – Pablo Honey
This ain’t the Radiohead that we all know. This was some other band that had yet to realize its true talent and it future greatness. Creep is just an annoying song and its no wonder you don’t hear the band play these songs from the album anymore…

People always think I'm a Radiohead fan because I'm a geek or a nerd or a dork or something.  But I'm not a Radiohead fan!  They're a great band and all, I just don't like them.  They did introduce people to two electronic classical composers I like: Paul Lansky from Princeton and Arthur Kreiger from Connecticut College.  Radiohead sampled Lansky's "Mild und Liese" and Kreiger's "Short Piece" on their song "Idioteque" from the Kid A album.  Both pieces are on the same 1976 LP that Jonny Greenwood picked up at a yard sale or something.

PS -- Radiohead got their name from Talking Heads' "Radio Head" song, which is on "True Stories."

Written By: warped on 08/19/12 at 6:56 am

I did like the single "You Are the Girl."  I didn't buy the album -- like a lot of Cars fans.  Cars should have quit at their peak after the "Heartbeat City" tour.  But who's gonna tell them things aren't so great?  Did you hear their comeback album "Move Like This."  If you were expecting another Candy-O or Panorama, you'd be disappointed.  It's another "Door to Door."  Lackluster songs, though "Sad Song" is really good.

A couple of years has passed since "Heartbreak city" and maybe their hearts weren't into it anymore. Like you said, I don't know anyone who bought "Door to Door" either.  On some of the tracks in "Door to door", they went away from the old "Cars" sound and tried to assimilate with the 1987 "pop" sound.  :(

That would be Going For The One. I had a friend who was a huge Yes fan and he didin't like Relayer either. I couldn't
tell you the name of any Yes album after Tormato. I know they have one like the Beverly Hills show,or 90210 or
something of that nature, I won't listen to it.

90125 had a track I liked "It can happen". But they departed from their "70s" sound and 90125 was just another pop album.
When I first heard a couple of tracks from the album on the radio, I said "Hey..that guy sounds like Jon Anderson!". I didn't even know the band was "Yes" and was surprised to find out it was.

Written By: loki 13 on 08/19/12 at 8:06 am

A lot of albums by great bands are bad for reason. They were just made to fill contractual obligations, ELP's Love Beach
is one. I actually like the Love Beach album but it definitly isn't up to ELP's standards. When ELP reunited they made
Black Moon and Under The Hot Seat. Black Moon is the better of the two but again, nowhere near what I expect from
ELP.

Pink Floyd is another band that lost their magic. The Wall, to me, was just okay. Side 4 was the best side of the album
with a few good songs on the rest of the sides. Anything after that wasn't anything to write home about. Waters and
Gilmour were great together but Floyd lost something when either of them were with the band without the other.

Led Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door. They knew it was so bad they needed a gimmick with the album covers
to help with the sales because even they knew the music wouldn't sell the albums.

Written By: warped on 08/19/12 at 12:49 pm

Led Zeppelin's In Through The Out Door. They knew it was so bad they needed a gimmick with the album covers
to help with the sales because even they knew the music wouldn't sell the albums.

Led Zeppelin was able to maintain their greatness from Zeppelin 1 until Physical Graffiti. I believe things began to go downhill when they recorded "Presence". Other than "Achilles last stand", there's no much there I liked. 
"In through the out door" was their worst effort up to that date.  As you said, it was bad.  The only song I liked there was "Fool in the rain", and it's not even a Zeppelin type of song. My High School and University friends (at the time ) did not like that album at all.

Pink Floyd is another band that lost their magic. The Wall, to me, was just okay. Side 4 was the best side of the album
with a few good songs on the rest of the sides. Anything after that wasn't anything to write home about. Waters and
Gilmour were great together but Floyd lost something when either of them were with the band without the other.

I thought Pink Floyd's greatness began at "Meddle" and continued till "Wish you were here".  I wasn't a fan of "Animals" when it was released. (My high school friends did not agree with me and said Animals was a great album).  "The Wall" was popular during my last year of high school and we all liked it (Especially sides 1 and 4) , but thought they could have made a "Very very good album" with just the best songs for a single album, not a double (I have that same thought for the Beatles “White Album” by the way)
I still liked "The Wall" and "The White Album", but thought they'd be better as single albums.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/12 at 1:12 pm

http://www.theassociation.net/pics/america/31.jpg

How about America came out with "You Can Do Magic" in 1982? I think this song is pretty cool, kind of cheesy but the 70's were a cool time for them when they sang A Horse With No Name and Ventura Highway.

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/19/12 at 4:46 pm

Yeah, the wheels had come off the band and it was pretty clear David Byrne was going to indulge his solo career.  I loved the movie when it came out.  My sister and I thought David Byrne was sooooo kewl...and so did David!  Anyway, I do like "Love for Sale," and "Wild Wild Life," but it ain't the same band who did "Remain in Light" and "Speaking in Tongues."

Agreed. If True Stories had been a David Byrne album, then it would have been an OK/average album at least. I would of understood it better. Not that I didn’t like ‘Wild, Wild Life”, that’s mainly why I picked the album up in the first place (not the movie), but as Talking Heads album, it was not making the grade. Don’t really know why it was made as a hook up to the movie, the movie had its own separate soundtrack anyway, “Sounds From True Stories”. Had they just put some more of the Talking Heads True Stories tracks on the Sounds From True Stories album it would have been more of a cohesive piece relating to the movie, or at least a heck of lot more interesting collection of music anyway.

The movie, I liked...then. Don't think it holds up too well nowadays though.

PS -- Radiohead got their name from Talking Heads' "Radio Head" song, which is on "True Stories."

Didn’t realize that.
BTW their debut album title “Pablo Honey” comes from a Jerky Boys prank call skit in which the prank caller says, "Pablo, honey? Please come to Florida!" to his victim. They sampled that prank call on the track “How Do You?”

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/20/12 at 12:24 am

Agreed. If True Stories had been a David Byrne album, then it would have been an OK/average album at least. I would of understood it better. Not that I didn’t like ‘Wild, Wild Life”, that’s mainly why I picked the album up in the first place (not the movie), but as Talking Heads album, it was not making the grade. Don’t really know why it was made as a hook up to the movie, the movie had its own separate soundtrack anyway, “Sounds From True Stories”. Had they just put some more of the Talking Heads True Stories tracks on the Sounds From True Stories album it would have been more of a cohesive piece relating to the movie, or at least a heck of lot more interesting collection of music anyway.

The movie, I liked...then. Don't think it holds up too well nowadays though.

Starting on "Little Creatures," from wich I love all songs but one, T.Heads started that yuppie band "mommy-daddy" cutesy songwriting.  On "Little Creatures" the tooth-grinding yuppie song is "Stay Up Late" (grrrrrrr....), but on "Naked," there are a plethora of them, one's even called "Mommy, Daddy, You, and I."  Too bad, because the music on "Naked" was great.

Didn’t realize that.
BTW their debut album title “Pablo Honey” comes from a Jerky Boys prank call skit in which the prank caller says, "Pablo, honey? Please come to Florida!" to his victim. They sampled that prank call on the track “How Do You?”

Pablo Honey was one of my favorite Jerky Boys bits!
:)

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/20/12 at 7:42 am

The Beach Boys had a bunch of bad albums in the '70s and '80s.

Chicago had some bad albums between XI up until they released 16, then again went down hill after 17 when Peter Cetera left, with some ballads that haven't aged well as those on 16 and 17 and lots of schlock.

Let's not forget all those disco albums by non-disco bands/artists in the late '70s, in paticular Elton John's and Aretha Franklin's.

Written By: warped on 08/20/12 at 1:56 pm

Supertramp: Brother Where You Bound

I enjoyed their albums from "Crime of the Century" through to "Breakfast in America".  Breakfast in America was such a huge album in Canada, there's no way Supertramp could have matched that success with their next album --->"Famous Last Words", so there was bound to be a letdown there.

"Famous Last Words" was just OK, it had 3 or 4 good tracks on it. But after Roger Hodgson left the band, "Brother where you bound" was a really bad album.

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/20/12 at 10:54 pm

Ministry's Filth Pig didn't do a damn thing for me upon release.  Hated it. 

But upon reading the positive and negative reviews, I'm going to give it a re-listen.  If nothing else, it serves as a reminder that heroin sucks. 

At least I'm over it enough to admit that I bought it. 

Check for new replies or respond here...