inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Your best/worst years?

Written By: singer on 08/19/12 at 9:39 am

OK, let’s put music and pop culture aside. What were your high and low points so far in your personal life? Are there some years you wish to forget and some that you love remembering? ;)

So far I had two peak periods – the early-mid 90’s and the early-mid 00’s.
1992-1994 were great years for me – I went to kindergarten, where I met the first ever girl I liked. I had the privilege to be part of the first generation of children growing on Western stuff like late 80’s music videos, ALF, Sesame Street, the TMNT cartoon. Culturally it was more like the 80's and PCs still didn't rule the world.

1995-spring of 2001 was a worse time for me. While there were some good things during that time, for the most time this time frame sucked for me. I started school in late 1995 and that was the worst school possible – it was full of white trash kids. Most of the teachers there were nasty, too. That period ended when my mom finally understood that the children there were bad company and decided it’s time for me to switch schools. ::)

In the spring/summer of 2001 a new period started in my life (2001-2004). I was free from my first school and I had one of the best summers in my life. In fall 2001 I started going to my new school. There were still some nasty kids, but overall that experience was far better than the previous one. And guess what – the nastiest kid got suspended and had to move to another school and that was a turning point. In 2002 I had to move to high school and the experience there was generally better. I also enjoyed then-current music and pop culture.

In 2005 started a whole new period for me. I succumbed to depression and social anxiety. I’ve lost all my friends as a result and as of now the Internet is my only friend. The fact that nowadays you need 24/7 internet connection doesn’t help. I really miss 1992-1994 and 2001-2004 a lot! I hope that by the mid 2010’s my life will change for the better. :) And what about you – what were/are your high and low periods so far?

BTW, I’ve just registered, but I get a ‘The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.’ message.

Subject: Re: Your best/worst years?

Written By: warped on 08/19/12 at 1:12 pm

BTW, I’ve just registered, but I get a ‘The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you.’ message.

I don't see you as "registered", unless you registered later as someone other than "Singer"

Written By: singer on 08/19/12 at 2:09 pm

I registered as Ilove2003. ;)

Written By: warped on 08/19/12 at 2:21 pm

Good that you joined. From now on you can post under that ID, instead of "singer...guest". I'll give some thought to my worst/best years and post at a later time.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/12 at 7:47 am

So how come I don't see you or your avatar?  ??? ::)

Written By: nally on 08/20/12 at 2:05 pm

So how come I don't see you or your avatar?  ??? ::)

Because guests don't have avatars.

You didn't lose your password, did you? If so, or if there's any other problems, you can e-mail Chucky.

Written By: nally on 08/20/12 at 2:10 pm

So anyway... some of my "worst" years might be some of my elementary school years, mainly because I changed schools so much. I mean, there were some good things about these years... but in the summers of 1988, 1989, and 1990 (between my second and third grade years; third and fourth grade; and fourth and fifth grade, respectively), I was sent from one school to the other due to certain problems with the school environments or something like that. My 4th grade year (1989-1990) stands out as the most miserable, mainly due to my teacher being a pain-in-the-wazoo, and some of the kids not respecting me or something.

Written By: warped on 08/20/12 at 2:20 pm

My best years? From what I remember as a kid (let's say 1967) until about 1978. Those were my best years.
1979 to 1982 wasn't bad.
I also enjoyed 1988 to 1992.
I'm dissapointed with just about anything from 1997 until now, although there were a few good things mixed in there.
I wish I were back in the 1970s again. For me that was the best decade.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/21/12 at 2:58 am

Best years from what I remember:

1989-1993: Time before real school life took off.
1999-2004: For the teenage stuff I did.

Written By: amjikloviet on 08/21/12 at 8:45 pm

The 80s were great for me, I went to Kindergarten in '85 up to grade 4 in '89. And well, it was childhood so it was an idyllic time...I'm sure it is for most people. The '90s were good to me the best year for me being 1993. That year I turned 13 and it was a very exciting time. I also love that summer. The '90s were good until 1998, then came my darker years as I like to call it which was from 1998 to early 2004. My best years were from late 2004 to 2009, greatest years of my life! I was between 24 and 29 years old and everything that happened to me during those years were fun and amazing<3 I wish I could relive the mid to late 2000s again!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/22/12 at 12:03 pm

Things for me were really great until 1971-and then my entire world was turned upside down and basically started on my life's travels (even though I didn't realize it at the time). That was the year when my parents separated-and the family was broken. The worse years of those early times was about 1975-1977. I lived in Waste West Haven, Conn which was AWFUL!!!! I HATED IT! HATED IT! HATED IT! I finally moved in 1977 and life was better-for a while.

Then in 1982-I joined the Air Force, moved to San Antonio, TX and got married. I HATED S.A. almost as bad as I hated Waste Haven. I was also in an abusive marriage.

1990 was a turning point for me. I got out of the A.F., left S.A., & my marriage was over. So, it was time to start a new life and moved to Vermont. After a couple of years of just wandering, I decided to go back to school. While going to school, I did a lot of healing and met the Love Of My Life-Carlos.

In 1998, I moved in with Carlos. And life was GREAT from that point on until 2008 when I lost my oldest sister. And this year we are dealing with losing our parents.

Well, that's the story of my life in a nutshell. The ups & downs.

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/22/12 at 2:15 pm

Also, 2003-2004 (that is, the second half of '03 into the first half of '04) might have been among my "worst" years, at least academically, since I was taking upper-division classes in a major that ended up not being the "perfect fit" for me. The early part of 2004 was especially stressful, since I felt like I wasn't passing anything.

Check for new replies or respond here...