inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What does school teach our children?

Written By: warped on 09/04/12 at 7:24 am

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m943h5LWH71r2zn66o1_1280.jpg

Charlotte Iserbyt: The Miseducation of America

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezTIYd5UFRY

This 74 minute exposé is a must see for anyone who wants to truly know why the education system is deliberately crafted to produce human drones with no critical thinking whose only skills are to be subservient, trust authority and follow orders.

I know it's too much to ask anyone to watch the whole video. But your thoughts on the education system in general.  I won't go as far as agreeing that the education system produces human drones but I do agree with what was expressed in the photo above. 
Any thoughts?

Subject: Re: What does school teach our children?

Written By: Mat1991 on 09/04/12 at 10:19 am

I don't know about other states, but in Texas, we had standardized testing toward the end of the school year, and teachers had to devote a lot of their classroom time to teaching students how to take the tests. I'm not certain, but I got the sense that most people in the Texas public education system resented those tests.

Also, our state teaches abstinence-only sex education, and also is one of the leading states in teen birth. I know for certain teen pregnancy was a huge problem at my high school. It was totally normal to have at least one pregnant classmate in at least one of my classes.

Written By: wildcard on 09/04/12 at 10:55 am

I see the  Intelligence is the ability to remember  and yes, I'm a blockhead.  gbhgfhghf people that turned me down for help the whole time I was at school. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/12 at 11:12 pm

When I think back at all the crap I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all!

-- Paul Simon

My high school was all about getting into college...and getting into the right college.  It was all grades, grades, grades, class rankings, honors levels, SAT scores, leadership skills, rah rah rah for the home team, say no to drugs, don't drink and drive, look down your nose at the Puerto Rican kids across the river, spend $200 on sneakers, sneak a keg for your sweet sixteen, rent a stretch limo for the prom, safe sex tips from Seventeen, and the rest of the John Hughes movie crapola.  Learning? You do that on your own time.  Here we teach you how to be a suburban douchebag just like dad.  Any questions?

Written By: wildcard on 09/08/12 at 10:50 am

Elimentry school was all about grades and saying no to drugs for me. grad I got sick and had to be home schooled. 

Check for new replies or respond here...