inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Disturbing Movies

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/05/12 at 9:11 pm

Has anyone seen a very disturbing movie you can't forget? (For example: Taxi Driver, Night of the Living Dead, etc.) How about movies you heard about that you don't want to see because they are too graphic or unsettling? I've seen some movies like the above 2, Joe, and Eraserhead (and to a lesser extent, the original Halloween). And I don't want to see any of the Friday The 13th movies, but I wanted to when I was in high school. And there are a lot of titles of movies I've (and possibly everybody) never heard of  that sound morbid. Why did these movies disturb you? And try not to get too graphic in the descriptions, please.

Subject: Re: Disturbing Movies

Written By: Jessica on 09/05/12 at 9:28 pm

Womb

I love Matt Smith, I love his acting, but this movie's storyline.....just....wow.  I linked to the IMDb so you can read the synopsis. :o

The almost two hours wasn't TOO wasted since I got to see man ass and Smith running around in yellow underwear, but the story!  GAH!

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/05/12 at 10:46 pm

Womb

I love Matt Smith, I love his acting, but this movie's storyline.....just....wow.  I linked to the IMDb so you can read the synopsis. :o

The almost two hours wasn't TOO wasted since I got to see man ass and Smith running around in yellow underwear, but the story!  GAH!

You know a film is disturbing when two of the keywords in the IMDB article are "Psycho Sexual". 8)

Written By: snozberries on 09/06/12 at 10:38 am

I just heard of one the other night. Martyrs.

Apparently it's a french film about women being tortured and beaten to death.  :-\\
The twist at the end is its another woman inflicting all the violence on the women

The rape scene in The Hills Have Eyes remake disturbed (& still does) the hell out of me.

Written By: warped on 09/06/12 at 4:25 pm

When I watched "The Exorcist" 35 years ago, I found it disturbing, maybe not so much anymore.
Blue Velvet was disturbing.

Movies like "Taxi Driver" or "Night of the Living dead" I don't find disturbing at all.

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/06/12 at 4:38 pm

When I watched "The Exorcist" 35 years ago, I found it disturbing, maybe not so much anymore.
Blue Velvet was disturbing.

Movies like "Taxi Driver" or "Night of the Living dead" I don't find disturbing at all.

I found Exorcist and Blue Velvet disturbing, and The Lord of the Flies was as disturbing a movie as it was a book.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/06/12 at 4:46 pm

PeeWee's Big Adventure.

Cat

Written By: loki 13 on 09/06/12 at 5:53 pm

Scarface.

The chainsaw scene in the shower really bothered me. I don't know why, I usually laugh at
slasher flicks but that scene bothered me. I have seen Scarface about 8 times but that scene
only once, when I know it's coming I leave the room.

Maybe this should be in the confessions thread?

Written By: whistledog on 09/06/12 at 6:07 pm

Scarface.

The chainsaw scene in the shower really bothered me. I don't know why, I usually laugh at
slasher flicks but that scene bothered me. I have seen Scarface about 8 times but that scene
only once, when I know it's coming I leave the room.

Maybe this should be in the confessions thread?

Oh, know exactly what you mean.  I always have to look away at that scene.  Scarface depicted it a little more real than a typical slasher flick would.  Brian DePalma always brings the violence, sometimes a little too well

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/06/12 at 10:55 pm

PeeWee's Big Adventure.

Cat

LOL, cat. ;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/06/12 at 10:59 pm

Oh, know exactly what you mean.  I always have to look away at that scene.  Scarface depicted it a little more real than a typical slasher flick would.  Brian DePalma always brings the violence, sometimes a little too well

Thankfully, I missed that scene, since I was working at a rec center and only saw certain scenes while the customers were watching on VHS. However, I found more disturbing the incestual affiar of Tony Montana and his sister.

Written By: basscatfrank on 09/07/12 at 6:18 am

Trilogy of Terror. I was 15 when it came out and that little doll that came to life scared the heck out of me. I can still see it stabbing under the door at Karen Black's feet.

Written By: Martin on 09/07/12 at 8:09 am

I find Hellbound-Hellraiser 2 very disturbing, especially the scene with that man cutting himself in the bed and the skinless woman. 8-P I think people that come up with movies like these are psychos themselves and should never be allowed to make movies.

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/12 at 10:18 am

Trilogy of Terror. I was 15 when it came out and that little doll that came to life scared the heck out of me. I can still see it stabbing under the door at Karen Black's feet.

I was about 7.  I had nightmares about tgat damn Zuni Doll for weeks!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/07/12 at 10:22 am

-Poltergeist.
-The Day After Tomorrow. I don't know this disturbed me so much but I wish that I never saw it. 

Cat

Written By: Howard on 09/07/12 at 3:34 pm

PeeWee's Big Adventure.

Cat

How about watching Pee Wee's Playhouse? That's even more disturbing.  ;D

Written By: basscatfrank on 09/07/12 at 4:05 pm

-Poltergeist.
-The Day After Tomorrow. I don't know this disturbed me so much but I wish that I never saw it. 

Cat

The nuclear aftermath movie that got to me was Testament with Jane Alexander. Scared me in an entirely different manner.

Written By: snozberries on 09/07/12 at 11:19 pm

The nuclear aftermath movie that got to me was Testament with Jane Alexander. Scared me in an entirely different manner.

That was a great flick.  But yeah it brought up some scary possibilities.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/12 at 12:56 am

PeeWee's Big Adventure.

Some little kids were traumatized by Large Marge.  It's true!

Blue Velvet
(1986, director: David Lynch)
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/.a/6a00d834518cc969e20133ef574d6c970b-500wi

The Shining
(1980, director: Stanley Kubrick)
http://jonas.blog.siol.net/files/2010/03/the-kubrick-stare-shining-4.jpg

Titicut Follies (1967, director: Frederick Wiseman)
http://ishootthepictures.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/vlcsnap-2011-01-23-23h42m58s179.png

El Topo (1970, director: Alejandro Jodorowsky)
http://www.cinemavirtualis.com/eltopo25.JPG

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975, director: Pier Paolo Pasolini)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__ZC6F3SCITU/TUsgdmFWBEI/AAAAAAAAEsc/ji_FY3SPLqg/s1600/Salo%2Bflower%2Bboys.bmp

Just Melvin, Just Evil
(2000, director: James Ronald Whitney)
http://71.45.131.15/doc/wp-content/uploads/mvbthumbs/img_13355_just-melvin-just-evil-classic-documentary-about-abuse.jpg

Gummo (1997, director: Harmony Korine)
http://movieoctopus.com/v2/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/4ab84_gummo-550x590.jpg

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/08/12 at 2:05 am

Freaks freaked me out a little
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJVXTKkjsxA

Laura Prepon in Karla (absolutely freaky movie)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBHUNrf0oDE

Any movie with child sexual abuse

Written By: Starde on 09/09/12 at 1:33 am

Misery starring Kathy Bates and James Caan.

That infamous hobbling scene... Dear God Almighty...

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/12 at 5:54 pm

How about watching Pee Wee's Playhouse? That's even more disturbing.  ;D

Apparently it's quite a show from the balcony

Written By: snozberries on 09/09/12 at 6:18 pm

Misery starring Kathy Bates and James Caan.

That infamous hobbling scene... Dear God Almighty...

Teeth on the curb. American History X.

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/09/12 at 8:15 pm

I love the 80's slasher flicks.  Halloween, Freddy, Jason, Hellraiser, and even Saw... and I always enjoyed ghost, vampire, werewolf and such stories (Pyscho, Poltergeist, The exorcist, Wolfen, silver bullet, etc...)

I cannot stand the psychotic torture thrillers.  "Funny Games" I just think is completely off...
"Last House on the Left"  I own the movie, but the pretense of the movie just bugs me. 

AND SCREAM (I cannot get over the scream dudes voice on the phone....; completely creeps me out (heart racing, sweating, and paranoid each and every time). 

Written By: Jessica on 09/11/12 at 6:42 pm

Oh my hell, I have to turn away or walk out of the room whenever that part is about to come on.  Or anything to do with someone breaking another person's bones.  ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

Written By: snozberries on 09/12/12 at 2:15 am

Oh my hell, I have to turn away or walk out of the room whenever that part is about to come on.  Or anything to do with someone breaking another person's bones.  ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH.

I'm cringing just thinking about it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/12/12 at 5:54 pm

The giant swastika tattoo gave me the chills.
:o

Written By: snozberries on 09/13/12 at 10:50 pm

I love the 80's slasher flicks.  Halloween, Freddy, Jason, Hellraiser, and even Saw... and I always enjoyed ghost, vampire, werewolf and such stories (Pyscho, Poltergeist, The exorcist, Wolfen, silver bullet, etc...)

I cannot stand the psychotic torture thrillers.  "Funny Games" I just think is completely off...
"Last House on the Left"  I own the movie, but the pretense of the movie just bugs me. 

AND SCREAM (I cannot get over the scream dudes voice on the phone....; completely creeps me out (heart racing, sweating, and paranoid each and every time).

last house on the left was disturbing.... I haven't seen (or heard of) funny games...

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/13/12 at 11:29 pm

I have seen Blue Velvet and The Shining, and I didn't find either one of them "that" disturbing (maybe to the younger movie viewers). I've read enough about El Topo and Salo on Imdb to not want to see them.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/13/12 at 11:39 pm

last house on the left was disturbing

Very much so.

Viewer discretion -- language

Nil By Mouth (1997; director: Gary Oldman)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ae7lVqhinM
Scary English people.

Sexy Beast (2000; director: Jonathan Glazer)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ymGLcbq8A
More scary English people.

This is England (2006; director: Shane Meadows)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pL6iuw-g0&feature=related
Even more scary English people.

Written By: 2kidsami on 09/14/12 at 8:21 pm

last house on the left was disturbing.... I haven't seen (or heard of) funny games...
"funny games" (2007) is just crazy ...

Some Golf white's dressed preps with white gloves invade a family home who is vacationing in the hampton's (or someplace like it).
Once they enter under false pretense, they can't be forced to leave. They end up tormenting (very psychotically)a husband, wife and children.  All the while joking (they call themselves Tom and Jerry, and Beavis and Butthead) like everyone wants to play the game.

It has a freakin poem...

Shall we begin?
You Must Admit, You Brought This On Yourself
Pray You Win
I bet they'll be dead by morning.
Let the games begin...
Let the games begin
The rules are simple. Pick a family and make them play
Whether by knife or by gun, losing your life can sometimes be fun.

Anywho...  not the best acted (I know Naomi Watts is in it), or best shot movie (looks low budget). But the pretense of it, just disturbs me!!!

Written By: snozberries on 09/16/12 at 3:58 am

HOLY CRAP!!!! The movie I watched today um......  :-X

It was called the Skin I Live In (it's a spanish film so subtitles) and it's painfully slow...but, if you choose to stick with it ..... the pay off...well I mean the disturbing part.....

http://serve.mysmiley.net/confused/confused0052.gif

Because it's a subtitled film I know some of you will never bother to watch it... but if you do decide to watch it do not look at my spoilers for I'm about to give a full synopsis of the film!

The Skin I Live In with Antonio Banderas
full synopis....meaning virtually every freaking detail of the long assed movie is included

The film opens on a woman who is seemingly being held captive in a beautiful mansion.
After her intro we learn that Antonio Banderas is a plastic surgeon who has successfully participated in 1/3 (3 of the 9) full face transplants performed on burn victims. We learn that he tragically lost his wife in a car accident (in which she was horrifically burned). 

*aside:  because he mentions the fact that faces can be pulled off corpses it is believed that the woman in the basement is his wife and she didn't actually die but is being held because he has worked on her and doesn't want people to know  OR he has somehow put his wife's face on another woman he kidnapped because he missed his wife so much....it takes about an hour before the truth is revealed.

Anyway.... Antonio gives the woman Opium to either control her or her pain (or both).  When Antonio enters the room with the Opium he finds that the woman has slit her wrists.  He takes her to the operating room he conveniently has in his mansion (apparently he used his childhood home as private clinic but stopped sometime around the time he acquired the woman.

He saves her and tells her if she really wanted to kill herself she would've slit her jugular not her wrists (remember this)... 

there's some boring stuff about him looking at blood and making his own skin and putting it over her scars.... he is amazed at how soft her skin is...and how it's resistant to mosquito's and virtually resistant to pain (he tries burning her with a flame and it takes a while before she feels it). He presents his findings to a room full of surgeons.  He revels in how his new skin can end malaria because it's made of pig skin so it's more resilient and  smells different from human skin....

blah blah blah he is admonished for experimental studies because it's too risque (although no one knows he's working on a human subject one of his former team members suspects it.)  he agrees to shut down the clinic (although it was pretty much shut down anyway)

He has a house keeper who manages the home. She knows the woman is locked in the room. She has been told the woman is a patient and needs monitoring but is told to never go in the room. There's a dumbwaiter which is used to transport food, books and whatever the woman needs...

oh the woman generally wears a body suit that's a nude suit, she has clothing that's ripped to shreds mostly, she is told some materials and double sided tape with be ordered....presumably so she can repair the dresses.  she asks for scissors, a needle and thread which the maid passes off as a joke.

anyway the maid gets a visit from some dude dressed as a tiger...apparently it's carnival in spain,  The dude hugs and kisses the maid who's a good 30 or 40 yrs older than him... he asks if he can come in but she says no...he enters anyway.  she feeds him and they watch TV from the kitchen table.... a news story shows that a burglary occurred somewhere and one of the dumbassed thieves had their mask up so they were visible to the cameras. The man gets mad and starts cursing the dumbass...the woman realizes that her son was one of the thieves and is on the run... he asks for a place to stay... she says no.  He asks if Antonio can fix a scar on his face she says if he gets you on the table he will kill you...then the man (El Tigre) looks over and sees two monitors that are trained on the woman who's locked in the room.  He asks who she is?  The maid says it's a movie....He says she looks just like (he drifts off and we are meant to fill in the blank - ie Antonio's wife) at any rate, for whatever reason, the woman stops doing yoga (she does a lot of yoga)  and looks into the camera....dude licks the screen in a sexual way  8-P

The maid pulls a gun on the man  but he over powers her and ties her to a chair...then he goes in search of the woman...  who, btw, has been tied to a chair facing the two monitors.  He does indeed find the door but it's locked... he goes back, ungags the maid and gets her to tell him where the key is...at this point (maybe a bit before) it's revealed that creepy El Tigre is the maid's son.  There's some funny exchange about how stupid the man is.

He then goes to the room and opens the door....the woman tries to escape but is tackled in the hallway. He climbs on her and (in the most disturbing way) dry humps, molests, kisses and tears her clothing...he then takes her into the room and rapes her... the whole time she is saying things like stop, and you're too big to which he counters you never complained before...we cut to the mother watching her son rape the woman who may or may not be Antonio's wife... Antonio comes home, sees the maid tied up, ungags her and then goes up to the room... Antonio enters the room and raises a gun...we cut back to the maid who says to the screen "kill her. Kill him. Kill them both"  Antonio shoots the man twice.

Cut to the maid clearing the bed linen covered in blood and then she and the woman are sitting by a fire outside (where the linen has been burned)  During these scenes the woman remarks that El Tigre talked to her like he knew her, the maid tells the woman that her son thought the woman was Antonio's wife.  She goes into some backstory.  Apparently the two El Tigre and Antonio played as children. They always pretended to kill each other and she knew that someday they really would. 

She reveals that both Antonio and El Tigre are brothers, both are her children. She had El Tigre with a servant who disappeared years ago and she had Antonio with the master of the house. Apparently the mistress of the house was sterile so once Antonio was born he was taken from her and raised to be son of her employers (although it was she who was primarily responsible for raising him). She adds that the one thing the brothers have in common is crazy fathers.  at 7 El Tigre started drug running and roaming the streets. 

12 yrs ago (in 2000) he sought her out looking for a hiding place because he was wanted... Antonio's wife found him and was enamored by him...they had an affair and ultimately ran away together. But, they got into a car accident. He fled the scene leaving the wife there to burn to death.  however, as he tends to do in this film, Antonio arrived in the nick of time and saved the wife.  He brought her home and operated on her...he was never able to restore her tho. She lived in darkness and depression...there were no mirrors in the house. One day she hears her daughter singing in the garden. The song revives the woman from her slump and she goes to the window to see the girl but, she catches her own reflection in the glass of the window she screams in horror and throws herself out the window, landing at her daughter's feet. the daughter, we learn also winds up killing herself but we don't learn why or when until later.

After the 2000 flashback we are back in 2012 and Antonio has just returned from burying his maid's son (his half brother - tho he's never told this detail) somewhere deep... he then takes the woman to bed. He then starts making out with, and attempts to have sex with, the woman who was just raped  :-\\    she says that she is sore because El Tigre was too big and asks if they can wait til tomorrow.  Antonio says he would never hurt her and will wait until she is ready then they sleep....and  LUCKY US!  ::)  flashback to 2006. 

actually this is when the film gets twisted and good....in a very, very bad way!!!!

Anyway---

ANTONIO'S FLASHBACK: Antonio is at the wedding of a friend. He has taken his daughter with him.  They marvel at the fact that she's getting along with the woman's nieces and that she hasn't asked to go home (at some point we learn that the girl was institutionalized after her mother's suicide and this was her first real outing since being released.

WOMAN'S FLASHBACK: We also flash back to a woman and some dude working in a clothes store.....boring conversation happens and then the man invites the woman to a party (the wedding) the woman declines because she's not interested in men....  lo and behold- the dude was shown in Antonio's flashback the daughter looked at him with interest and got excited when he looked back.

Back to Antonio who is walking the grounds and finds a freaking orgy going on in the woods.  He also finds his daughter unconscious under a tree.

Back to an alternate flashback... There's some dialogue between the daughter and the dude  where we find out just how innocent the girl is... he asks her if she's on pills and she lists all these anti depressants but he just thinks she parties... then he says he's high but she has no idea what he means by that...then she talks about clothing being so constricting...she takes off a sweater and says she'd walk around naked all the time if she could.  He gets excited and they make out but she has no idea what's happening... she kind of digs it at first (I think) but then, when he penetrates her she freaks out and bites the crap out of her hand.... he gets pissed and hits her, knocking her unconscious.

Back to Antonio who finds his daughter under the tree, she comes too as he's hugging her and she starts screaming (ultimately she is reinstitutionalized and dr informs Antonio that she has linked him to her rape and actually thinks it was Antonio who raped her.)    Honestly, at this point I started thinking the woman was the daughter  8-P  thank god I was wrong.... or maybe not.....  :-\\

Antonio is pissed. He remembers seeing a motorcycle speeding away before he found his daughter....some how he put two and two together and got 22 because he managed to track down the dude to the dress shop... the dude feels a bit guilty about what transpired and tells the chick he works with that he may just take off... He then tells his mom (the shop owner) that he needs air but will be back for dinner.  The dude never returns. His motorcycle is found at the bottom of a cliff but no sign of him.

soooo too late for long story short but basically....Antonio runs down and kidnaps the dude. Then he locks him away deep in the heart of a cave or under his mansion. Ultimately he forges paperwork and gets his surgical team to perform a confidential vaginaplasty on the dude...yeah you heard me.... the gave the dude a sex change then Antonio locked him away for six years... we watch the whole transformation which was kind of fascinating... Antonio instructs the boy (who's still played by a male actor because he is transformed in stages... first he gets a vagina, much later he gets boobs then he gets a face that resembles his wife.  at some point we see the boy, now the woman, make her first suicide attempt. This time she does cut her jugular but Antonio is there and he manages to save her him.  (I guess that's why Antonio believed the slit wrists were a false attempt b/c there would be no time for him to save the dudette because he wasn't home when she made the attempt. He found her after the fact.

*oh yeah---somewhere during this transformation the daughter killed herself. The dude claims he didn't really rape her (at lease he didn't think he did but he was high so he wasn't sure....Antonio didn't care)

the 6 yrs passes much more quickly than the first half of the year and we are back to 2012 the day after dudette was raped by the dude with the big stick. Antonio agrees to let her go shopping with the maid. The maid is worried because she thinks dudette will push her into the street.  The maid doesn't know dudette's back story and believes (pressumably) dudette is a female patient/captive.  Dudette and Antonio talk about how Antonio will no longer lock him away and he agrees that "she" will never leave Antonio.  Then dudette and maid go shopping...

one of the guys from Antonio's surgical team arrives with a newspaper that lists missing people.  He recognizes the dude as the patient they operated on years ago.  Antonio says the operation was legit and the dude is now a porn actress in LA...but the dr reveals he knows the permission forms were forged.  In walks dudette who says she wanted the operation and the couple is living together happily... doc leaves but dudette cannot stop looking at the pic of her as a dude. 

that evening antonio and dudette are getting it on in bed but it's still sore for him... so he goes downstairs to get some lubricant.... and a gun  ;D    he kills antonio and the maid and then goes home to mommy...  There's a touching moment with the lesbian (you kinda hope they hook up later) and mommy....then we fade to black.

:P

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/16/12 at 5:11 am

Some little kids were traumatized by Large Marge.  It's true!

Blue Velvet
(1986, director: David Lynch)
http://featuresblogs.chicagotribune.com/.a/6a00d834518cc969e20133ef574d6c970b-500wi

The Shining
(1980, director: Stanley Kubrick)
http://jonas.blog.siol.net/files/2010/03/the-kubrick-stare-shining-4.jpg

Titicut Follies (1967, director: Frederick Wiseman)
http://ishootthepictures.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/vlcsnap-2011-01-23-23h42m58s179.png

El Topo (1970, director: Alejandro Jodorowsky)
http://www.cinemavirtualis.com/eltopo25.JPG

Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (1975, director: Pier Paolo Pasolini)
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/__ZC6F3SCITU/TUsgdmFWBEI/AAAAAAAAEsc/ji_FY3SPLqg/s1600/Salo%2Bflower%2Bboys.bmp

Just Melvin, Just Evil
(2000, director: James Ronald Whitney)
http://71.45.131.15/doc/wp-content/uploads/mvbthumbs/img_13355_just-melvin-just-evil-classic-documentary-about-abuse.jpg

Gummo (1997, director: Harmony Korine)
http://movieoctopus.com/v2/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/4ab84_gummo-550x590.jpg
I was about to mention Salo, but you beat me to it.

"Titanic" gave me that sinking feeling!  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 09/16/12 at 1:24 pm

It was called the Skin I Live In (it's a spanish film so subtitles) and it's painfully slow...but, if you choose to stick with it ..... the pay off...well I mean the disturbing part.....

Because it's a subtitled film I know some of you will never bother to watch it... but if you do decide to watch it do not look at my spoilers for I'm about to give a full synopsis of the film!

full synopis....meaning virtually every freaking detail of the long assed movie is included

Read that whole thing....damn...that is disturbing.

Written By: snozberries on 09/16/12 at 1:28 pm

Read that whole thing....damn...that is disturbing.

I'm impressed you got thru it....typing it killed an hour of my shift and really made me shudder all over again....
I know it was long and think about it. I left out te boring parts. I coulda trimmed at least 35 mins outta the flick.
If I were the one who edited it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/12 at 2:07 pm

I'm impressed you got thru it....typing it killed an hour of my shift and really made me shudder all over again....
I know it was long and think about it. I left out te boring parts. I coulda trimmed at least 35 mins outta the flick.
If I were the one who edited it.

I tried to get through it all but it was so long and I had to bring screen down but when I did, the spoiler alert went away-so I couldn't read the bottom of it.  :-\\  Though, that could be a good thing.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 09/16/12 at 2:28 pm

I tried to get through it all but it was so long and I had to bring screen down but when I did, the spoiler alert went away-so I couldn't read the bottom of it.  :-\\  Though, that could be a good thing.

Cat

You could try copying and pasting it.  You may or may not be surprised depending how far you got?

Did you make it to the flashbacks to 2006?

That's where the real action is.  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/16/12 at 3:08 pm

You could try copying and pasting it.  You may or may not be surprised depending how far you got?

Did you make it to the flashbacks to 2006?

That's where the real action is.  ;)

I did highlight it so I could read it. WOW!!! C'est bizarre!!!!

Cat

Written By: Starde on 09/17/12 at 8:25 pm

The film opens on a woman who is seemingly being held captive in a beautiful mansion.
After her intro we learn that Antonio Banderas is a plastic surgeon who has successfully participated in 1/3 (3 of the 9) full face transplants performed on burn victims. We learn that he tragically lost his wife in a car accident (in which she was horrifically burned). 

*aside:  because he mentions the fact that faces can be pulled off corpses it is believed that the woman in the basement is his wife and she didn't actually die but is being held because he has worked on her and doesn't want people to know  OR he has somehow put his wife's face on another woman he kidnapped because he missed his wife so much....it takes about an hour before the truth is revealed.

Anyway.... Antonio gives the woman Opium to either control her or her pain (or both).  When Antonio enters the room with the Opium he finds that the woman has slit her wrists.  He takes her to the operating room he conveniently has in his mansion (apparently he used his childhood home as private clinic but stopped sometime around the time he acquired the woman.

He saves her and tells her if she really wanted to kill herself she would've slit her jugular not her wrists (remember this)... 

there's some boring stuff about him looking at blood and making his own skin and putting it over her scars.... he is amazed at how soft her skin is...and how it's resistant to mosquito's and virtually resistant to pain (he tries burning her with a flame and it takes a while before she feels it). He presents his findings to a room full of surgeons.  He revels in how his new skin can end malaria because it's made of pig skin so it's more resilient and  smells different from human skin....

blah blah blah he is admonished for experimental studies because it's too risque (although no one knows he's working on a human subject one of his former team members suspects it.)  he agrees to shut down the clinic (although it was pretty much shut down anyway)

He has a house keeper who manages the home. She knows the woman is locked in the room. She has been told the woman is a patient and needs monitoring but is told to never go in the room. There's a dumbwaiter which is used to transport food, books and whatever the woman needs...

oh the woman generally wears a body suit that's a nude suit, she has clothing that's ripped to shreds mostly, she is told some materials and double sided tape with be ordered....presumably so she can repair the dresses.  she asks for scissors, a needle and thread which the maid passes off as a joke.

anyway the maid gets a visit from some dude dressed as a tiger...apparently it's carnival in spain,  The dude hugs and kisses the maid who's a good 30 or 40 yrs older than him... he asks if he can come in but she says no...he enters anyway.  she feeds him and they watch TV from the kitchen table.... a news story shows that a burglary occurred somewhere and one of the dumbassed thieves had their mask up so they were visible to the cameras. The man gets mad and starts cursing the dumbass...the woman realizes that her son was one of the thieves and is on the run... he asks for a place to stay... she says no.  He asks if Antonio can fix a scar on his face she says if he gets you on the table he will kill you...then the man (El Tigre) looks over and sees two monitors that are trained on the woman who's locked in the room.  He asks who she is?  The maid says it's a movie....He says she looks just like (he drifts off and we are meant to fill in the blank - ie Antonio's wife) at any rate, for whatever reason, the woman stops doing yoga (she does a lot of yoga)  and looks into the camera....dude licks the screen in a sexual way  8-P

The maid pulls a gun on the man  but he over powers her and ties her to a chair...then he goes in search of the woman...  who, btw, has been tied to a chair facing the two monitors.  He does indeed find the door but it's locked... he goes back, ungags the maid and gets her to tell him where the key is...at this point (maybe a bit before) it's revealed that creepy El Tigre is the maid's son.  There's some funny exchange about how stupid the man is.

He then goes to the room and opens the door....the woman tries to escape but is tackled in the hallway. He climbs on her and (in the most disturbing way) dry humps, molests, kisses and tears her clothing...he then takes her into the room and rapes her... the whole time she is saying things like stop, and you're too big to which he counters you never complained before...we cut to the mother watching her son rape the woman who may or may not be Antonio's wife... Antonio comes home, sees the maid tied up, ungags her and then goes up to the room... Antonio enters the room and raises a gun...we cut back to the maid who says to the screen "kill her. Kill him. Kill them both"  Antonio shoots the man twice.

Cut to the maid clearing the bed linen covered in blood and then she and the woman are sitting by a fire outside (where the linen has been burned)  During these scenes the woman remarks that El Tigre talked to her like he knew her, the maid tells the woman that her son thought the woman was Antonio's wife.  She goes into some backstory.  Apparently the two El Tigre and Antonio played as children. They always pretended to kill each other and she knew that someday they really would. 

She reveals that both Antonio and El Tigre are brothers, both are her children. She had El Tigre with a servant who disappeared years ago and she had Antonio with the master of the house. Apparently the mistress of the house was sterile so once Antonio was born he was taken from her and raised to be son of her employers (although it was she who was primarily responsible for raising him). She adds that the one thing the brothers have in common is crazy fathers.  at 7 El Tigre started drug running and roaming the streets. 

12 yrs ago (in 2000) he sought her out looking for a hiding place because he was wanted... Antonio's wife found him and was enamored by him...they had an affair and ultimately ran away together. But, they got into a car accident. He fled the scene leaving the wife there to burn to death.  however, as he tends to do in this film, Antonio arrived in the nick of time and saved the wife.  He brought her home and operated on her...he was never able to restore her tho. She lived in darkness and depression...there were no mirrors in the house. One day she hears her daughter singing in the garden. The song revives the woman from her slump and she goes to the window to see the girl but, she catches her own reflection in the glass of the window she screams in horror and throws herself out the window, landing at her daughter's feet. the daughter, we learn also winds up killing herself but we don't learn why or when until later.

After the 2000 flashback we are back in 2012 and Antonio has just returned from burying his maid's son (his half brother - tho he's never told this detail) somewhere deep... he then takes the woman to bed. He then starts making out with, and attempts to have sex with, the woman who was just raped  :-\\    she says that she is sore because El Tigre was too big and asks if they can wait til tomorrow.  Antonio says he would never hurt her and will wait until she is ready then they sleep....and  LUCKY US!  ::)  flashback to 2006. 

actually this is when the film gets twisted and good....in a very, very bad way!!!!

Anyway---

ANTONIO'S FLASHBACK: Antonio is at the wedding of a friend. He has taken his daughter with him.  They marvel at the fact that she's getting along with the woman's nieces and that she hasn't asked to go home (at some point we learn that the girl was institutionalized after her mother's suicide and this was her first real outing since being released.

WOMAN'S FLASHBACK: We also flash back to a woman and some dude working in a clothes store.....boring conversation happens and then the man invites the woman to a party (the wedding) the woman declines because she's not interested in men....  lo and behold- the dude was shown in Antonio's flashback the daughter looked at him with interest and got excited when he looked back.

Back to Antonio who is walking the grounds and finds a freaking orgy going on in the woods.  He also finds his daughter unconscious under a tree.

Back to an alternate flashback... There's some dialogue between the daughter and the dude  where we find out just how innocent the girl is... he asks her if she's on pills and she lists all these anti depressants but he just thinks she parties... then he says he's high but she has no idea what he means by that...then she talks about clothing being so constricting...she takes off a sweater and says she'd walk around naked all the time if she could.  He gets excited and they make out but she has no idea what's happening... she kind of digs it at first (I think) but then, when he penetrates her she freaks out and bites the crap out of her hand.... he gets pissed and hits her, knocking her unconscious.

Back to Antonio who finds his daughter under the tree, she comes too as he's hugging her and she starts screaming (ultimately she is reinstitutionalized and dr informs Antonio that she has linked him to her rape and actually thinks it was Antonio who raped her.)    Honestly, at this point I started thinking the woman was the daughter  8-P  thank god I was wrong.... or maybe not.....  :-\\

Antonio is pissed. He remembers seeing a motorcycle speeding away before he found his daughter....some how he put two and two together and got 22 because he managed to track down the dude to the dress shop... the dude feels a bit guilty about what transpired and tells the chick he works with that he may just take off... He then tells his mom (the shop owner) that he needs air but will be back for dinner.  The dude never returns. His motorcycle is found at the bottom of a cliff but no sign of him.

soooo too late for long story short but basically....Antonio runs down and kidnaps the dude. Then he locks him away deep in the heart of a cave or under his mansion. Ultimately he forges paperwork and gets his surgical team to perform a confidential vaginaplasty on the dude...yeah you heard me.... the gave the dude a sex change then Antonio locked him away for six years... we watch the whole transformation which was kind of fascinating... Antonio instructs the boy (who's still played by a male actor because he is transformed in stages... first he gets a vagina, much later he gets boobs then he gets a face that resembles his wife.  at some point we see the boy, now the woman, make her first suicide attempt. This time she does cut her jugular but Antonio is there and he manages to save her him.  (I guess that's why Antonio believed the slit wrists were a false attempt b/c there would be no time for him to save the dudette because he wasn't home when she made the attempt. He found her after the fact.

*oh yeah---somewhere during this transformation the daughter killed herself. The dude claims he didn't really rape her (at lease he didn't think he did but he was high so he wasn't sure....Antonio didn't care)

the 6 yrs passes much more quickly than the first half of the year and we are back to 2012 the day after dudette was raped by the dude with the big stick. Antonio agrees to let her go shopping with the maid. The maid is worried because she thinks dudette will push her into the street.  The maid doesn't know dudette's back story and believes (pressumably) dudette is a female patient/captive.  Dudette and Antonio talk about how Antonio will no longer lock him away and he agrees that "she" will never leave Antonio.  Then dudette and maid go shopping...

one of the guys from Antonio's surgical team arrives with a newspaper that lists missing people.  He recognizes the dude as the patient they operated on years ago.  Antonio says the operation was legit and the dude is now a porn actress in LA...but the dr reveals he knows the permission forms were forged.  In walks dudette who says she wanted the operation and the couple is living together happily... doc leaves but dudette cannot stop looking at the pic of her as a dude. 

that evening antonio and dudette are getting it on in bed but it's still sore for him... so he goes downstairs to get some lubricant.... and a gun  ;D    he kills antonio and the maid and then goes home to mommy...  There's a touching moment with the lesbian (you kinda hope they hook up later) and mommy....then we fade to black.

:P

I haven't gotten the chance to watch that movie yet so I've avoided looking at your spoiler (though I was very tempted to!). I have heard from a few fellow movie fans that the movie is disturbing as hell!

Written By: snozberries on 09/18/12 at 9:51 am

I haven't gotten the chance to watch that movie yet so I've avoided looking at your spoiler (though I was very tempted to!). I have heard from a few fellow movie fans that the movie is disturbing as hell!

that it is....it had potential to be a good film but the film maker tried a bit too hard and got mired in the minutia...therefore it's really slow...but once it gets moving it moves!

I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

Check for new replies or respond here...